• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrogant people in the video game industry

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I am inspired by the latest news from Sony and its disastrous way of censoring the Japanese Developers, i ask to you guys what designer or company seems harmful or dislike for their personality?

I do not like Hideki Kamiya, for being a very heavy person and arrogant.,

I mean how he dare the luxury of blocking your fans for any comment?

If I was not through Nier automata, I would be crying now, and the truth was somehow I was pleased with the cancellation of Scalebound, I feel very sorry for Xbox users, but for a person as nefarious like Kamiya was a Karma that hit him proud.

What personality or company do you dislike?

I think Sony is the Next.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
the only game company I can't stand now is konami, you might as well just say contra, castlevaina, and silent hill series is dead. Thanks konami.

Wonkytonk

I get more and more annoyed by Danny O’Dwyer each day with his holier than thou, judgemental, Mr. Perfect act.

FranXico

I get more and more annoyed by Danny O’Dwyer each day with his holier than thou, judgemental, Mr. Perfect act.
Who is this person and who does he work for?
Maybe it's a good idea to also tell their affilliation as a rule. Most infamous quotes are a nice thing too. What do you think OP?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Om the same boat he is starting to annoy me more and more these days. I start noticing it in the podcast

Grimmrobe

the only game company I can't stand now is konami, you might as well just say contra, castlevaina, and silent hill series is dead. Thanks konami.

SEQUELS ARE BAD NO INNOVATION

NO SEQUELS ARE BAD PLS NEED MORE SEQUELS

I am glad companies have profits to guide them in their decisions, because if they were guided by the dumb self-contradictory desires of the fans, the entire industry would be doomed.

brap

Banned
Who is this person and who does he work for?
Maybe it's a good idea to also tell their affilliation as a rule. Most infamous quotes are a nice thing too. What do you think OP?
Om the same boat he is starting to annoy me more and more these days. I start noticing it in the podcast
1473697658995.png

1449874216292.png

1459267793564.png

Obviously there's more but I'd rather keep my sanity and not look at his twitter.

Last edited:

Jay_TCE

Neo Member
Well in the whole gaming industry...

I despise Konami, EA, Activision and Warner Bros. Interactive for obvious reasons for which I'm sure most of us (if not all) know why.

These are the big boys in publishing and all they care about is revenue (by means of monetization schemes that rob the player and benefit the company and investors).

Recently Activision took it to a whole new level. They promised 60Hz servers for Bo4 and had them at Beta and launch but after they got everyone's money they had Treyarch downgrade the servers to 20Hz. Now that's a whole new level of cheap. They're raking millions (if not a few billions) and yet they still stick to cheap methods to maximize profits.

Thankfully I've lost interest in CoD after Bo2 but I feel sorry for the suckers that keep buying all the CoDs. I have a friend who's a fanboy of CoD and he keeps pre-ordering every CoD (or more like every Activision title including Destiny but he still spends his hard earned cash on D2 despite getting robbed so hard), gets season pass and all that and I call him out on it and explain to him how he's getting screwed but he's a lost cause, he persists being a fanboy and is probably in denial or something and always tells me about the very few good things they did as if that excuses their shitty monetization schemes.

Last edited:

Caayn

Recently Activision took it to a whole new level. They promised 60Hz servers for Bo4 and had them at Beta and launch but after they got everyone's money they had Treyarch downgrade the servers to 20Hz. Now that's a whole new level of cheap. They're raking millions (if not a few billions) and yet they still stick to cheap methods to maximize profits.
This has been altered. The tick rate is now 62Hz.

Thiagosc777

I am inspired by the latest news from Sony and its disastrous way of censoring the Japanese Developers, i ask to you guys what designer or company seems harmful or dislike for their personality?

I do not like Hideki Kamiya, for being a very heavy person and arrogant.,

I mean how he dare the luxury of blocking your fans for any comment?

If I was not through Nier automata, I would be crying now, and the truth was somehow I was pleased with the cancellation of Scalebound, I feel very sorry for Xbox users, but for a person as nefarious like Kamiya was a Karma that hit him proud.

What personality or company do you dislike?

I think Sony is the Next.

I don't care about Kamiya, because he is an attention whore. Someone who didn't like being contacted by strangers would just not use social media altogether. He practically lives there because it gives him the attention he craves. The good thing is that the solution for this problem is just to ignore him.

In my opinion, developers who antagonize fans or politicize things are far worse, like this . This does far more damage to the brands and gaming than any blocking and rude response.

CyRuZ

Banned
Luke Smith(Bungo), Cliffy B., Randy Bitchford, Almir Listo(Overkill). And everyone at Activision nowadays. Don't understand how people still support them while on the other hand hating everything related to EA. Don't get me wrong, ea deserved all the shitstorm they got. But Activision completly got forgotten by the outcry.

No idea who that asshole is, but the kind of people who favour that particular routine are generally the ones with the biggest skeletons in their closet.

That's pretty much every 'politically correct' game journalist these days.
But yeah, O'dwyer is a special case for other reasons. Those fluff-pieces he calls documentaries are entirely funded by donations, and yet he's shopping around the show to Netflix and such so he can make even more money off of them. And then has the gall to make a video begging for more money a few weeks ago. Fuck that dude.

MDSLKTR

They haven't gotten much better. Last E3 we were treated to some of the most unwarranted arrogance and console war BS I've ever seen.
Greenberg and Spencer PR twitter machine are gamers best friends... Ya my vote is on them.

Geki-D

Banned
Greenberg and Spencer PR twitter machine are gamers best friends... Ya my vote is on them.
Phil Spencer is a pure tumour made of sheer arrogance in the gaming industry. Seems the guy can't open his mouth without going on about how much better Xbox is compared to the competition. Sort of pointless considering how poorly their current console is selling and how little games they're making.

by "arrogant people in the gaming industry" i thought you were referring to the vocal consumers who make demands of companies and devs

Shai-Tan

Banned
Phil Spencer is a pure tumour made of sheer arrogance in the gaming industry. Seems the guy can't open his mouth without going on about how much better Xbox is compared to the competition. Sort of pointless considering how poorly their current console is selling and how little games they're making.

uh it's his job to promote his platform. I've listened to him speak on Giant Bomb and elsewhere and he doesn't come off as arrogant to me at all. Meanwhile the thread went off the rails immediately with the whining about Danny O'Dwyer - like being an asshat on social media is exceptional. Have you people read twitter recently? It rewards a holier than thou attitude - and I would include threads like this in that genre of gossip/denigration

I do not like Hideki Kamiya, for being a very heavy person and arrogant.
Kamiya was asked to comment on internet controversies, was attacked over Bayonetta, and things like that.

In a world where people can be fired over tweets, even in Japan (Hideo Baba's botched damage control over Zestiria's DLC heroine, or random kids posing in photos in factories that get them fired AND the company closed, or Attack on Titan's Isayama very narrowly avoiding people looking for his social media political comments to get the manga cancelled by quickly closing the account before more information is gathered), Kamiya is actually being cautious, especially when most people he bans is random foreigners heckling him for controversial soundbites that can sell clicks at his expense.
He was careless at times, like when admitting to speeding over the limit in a rant against police stopping him, and when you see how people latched to that relatively tame incident to try and imply he's not a good fit for the company, he is more relatable.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

uh it's his job to promote his platform. I've listened to him speak on Giant Bomb and elsewhere and he doesn't come off as arrogant to me at all.

All the Xbox people are super professional on Twitter. Never saw any of them being rude or fueling controversies. The console warriors are trying to hijack this thread.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Kamiya was asked to comment on internet controversies, was attacked over Bayonetta, and things like that.

In a world where people can be fired over tweets, even in Japan (Hideo Baba's botched damage control over Zestiria's DLC heroine, or random kids posing in photos in factories that get them fired AND the company closed, or Attack on Titan's Isayama very narrowly avoiding people looking for his social media political comments to get the manga cancelled by quickly closing the account before more information is gathered), Kamiya is actually being cautious, especially when most people he bans is random foreigners heckling him for controversial soundbites that can sell clicks at his expense.
He was careless at times, like when admitting to speeding over the limit in a rant against police stopping him, and when you see how people latched to that relatively tame incident to try and imply he's not a good fit for the company, he is more relatable.

I understand that then there are users who start to bother.

I made the comment that for me Okami is a masterpiece of art and thanked him for the legacy of his work, and blocks me. I mean what the hell is wrong with him, because this imbecile blocks me for giving him a positive comment.

I annoyed was that act and I was disrespectful

But thanks to that I never even proposed to buy games made by him, I even see if the next Resident Evil 2 is not involved in a certain way.

Taking advantage of the post, we must be very careful to Keiji Inafune, I meet him in person, and unfortunately he is a lazy liar who does nothing, is a opportunity exploiter

Last edited:

Codes 208

They haven't gotten much better. Last E3 we were treated to some of the most unwarranted arrogance and console war BS I've ever seen.
Cant say I agree. Last e3 i remember it being a barrage of games and less talk. Unlike sony's awkward change of venue after touting tlou2.

As well as their "we dont want cross play because our system is better than theirs" general responsen

EA however is the purist definition of arrogance as well as ignorance. The one company that owns the title of "most downvotes for a single post on reddit" for their bs mtx pr.

Xbox leader speaks highly of xbox. Shocker. Except hes gone on to congratulate both nintendo and sony multiple times and has never made any form of direct or indirect dickheaded response to his competitors.

Also if you think hes bad, you clearly forgot how much worse don mattrick was.

Last edited:

plushyp

Kamiya used to be funny at one point of time. Now he's just sad and petty... should get off twitter if he hates it so much.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

Kamiya used to be funny at one point of time. Now he's just sad and petty... should get off twitter if he hates it so much.

He can't, he is an attention whore. The funny thing is that he even posts in English, meaning, he does want people to read it. One easy way of limiting who contacts him is to only write in Japanese.

Last edited:

Ozrimandias

Loved his work, really loved it, but from some time ago, i just cant stand it.

Kojima.

I wanted to know more about his departure from Konami. Really cant find deep information about this but, Kojima and the reasons of his departure was (at least what its known)

- Wasted billions of yens in PT, when that money was intended to be a full game, not a demo.
- Huge amount of money in the production of MGSV, Konami was almost forced to release a 2 part game (Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain) and then Metal Gear Survive to try to minimize the impact.
- A Engine that was supossed to be in every Konami title, now, only in PES.

Now, with Sony and Death Stranding, all of his photos with Hollywood Stars, all of his declarations of his game and how its gonna change how whe percieve videogames and his David Lynch-complete no sense-mindblowing-nogameplay trailers just make me think....that after all of the love that i have for its games, and separate the work from the artist.....

Kojima its so arrogant.

Mojoraisin

Patrick Söderlund used to be one. Left EA and the BFV+debacle after having insulted fans numerous times and claiming he is on "the right side of history". I have no problem people having differing opinions, my problem is shaming other viewpoints than his own/DICEs.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Loved his work, really loved it, but from some time ago, i just cant stand it.

Kojima.

I wanted to know more about his departure from Konami. Really cant find deep information about this but, Kojima and the reasons of his departure was (at least what its known)

- Wasted billions of yens in PT, when that money was intended to be a full game, not a demo.
- Huge amount of money in the production of MGSV, Konami was almost forced to release a 2 part game (Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain) and then Metal Gear Survive to try to minimize the impact.
- A Engine that was supossed to be in every Konami title, now, only in PES.

Now, with Sony and Death Stranding, all of his photos with Hollywood Stars, all of his declarations of his game and how its gonna change how whe percieve videogames and his David Lynch-complete no sense-mindblowing-nogameplay trailers just make me think....that after all of the love that i have for its games, and separate the work from the artist.....

Kojima its so arrogant.

What this cant be serious!! All buget of PT was to make a Full title, and only made this Teaser cost Billion of yens??:messenger_face_screaming:

Makariel

Can't think of any one person I actively dislike to the degree that it would cause me headaches or sleepless nights.

In terms of developers or companies, I have had various beefs with various corporations over the time, including but not limited to: EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Blizzard, Sony, Microsoft, Konami and most recently Cloud Imperium Games, but they never seem to notice. So I stopped venting my impotent rage against glass towers and focused on more interesting things in life. I have enough other hobbies, life is too short to spend most of it bitching and moaning.
"Arrogant people in the video game industry"

-See Peter Molyneux
I don't know, he always seemed like a nice person. Yes he overpromised every release and is really bad at keeping a deadline, in an industry notorious for running late, but I don't see how he would be arrogant? Arrogant are "game journalists" who start an interview with the question if one could be called a pathological liar.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
My picks:
For MS: Aaron Greenberg
For Sony: Ken Kutagari was the worst, but he is gone.

Media: Ben Kuchera, Arthur Gies

Lunk

I hated Colin Moriarty after the ME3 video and he still irks me with being obviously contrarian in every hot topic because he's egotistical, but Danny O'Dwyer's "Misery breeds company" tweet made me lose all respect for that man. That's an asshole alright.

As for my own choice, fuck Mitch Dyer. Not only would he constantly state wrongful facts from his own ignorance on IGN but he would constantly assert his own opinion in a "can we all agree?" bullshit kind of way. "Joel is the worst human being" from TLOU was also a good contender for how I ended up hating him, but also his lame review-defense video of that game nobody cared for anyway, Lollipop Chainsaw massacre -- he posted a damage control video due to its backlash for a 6/10 but his argument was "I felt it was a 6/10 so that is what I gave it". I don't care, that isn't a defense. I mean, duh, he gave it a 6 of course, what else is new? There was no reason for that video beyond making himself look like an almighty prick to the people that liked the game and his arguments contributed nothing to his defense of it.

And then he somehow gets a writer gig FOR BATTLEFRONT II. What on earth? The dude is a grade-A hack but I guess he played himself for an asswhipe at some E3 or TGA afterparty to the higher ups at DICE or EA and it paid off because the story of Iden Versio was hot garbage. When I heard he was writing for Star Wars I shook my head and then knowing what it was - a jumbled mess of mary sueness - I just couldn't be surprised but that guy should not be where he is in the industry even if EA ruined the game anyway. Star Wars was turned into "something anyone can write" this generation of games and in Disney's treatment of the brand too. The IP management and quality control is an abomination now.

Ozrimandias

What this cant be serious!! All buget of PT was to make a Full title, and only made this Teaser cost Billion of yens??:messenger_face_screaming:

Its what i found, and thinking about it, its not that crazy..... Hiring Del Toro, just to make concepts and story and stuff, i mean its an Oscar winning Director, Hiring Norman Reedus, a hollywood actor coprotagonist in one of the most successfull tv Series of the recent years and producers involved , like Avi Arad, who recommend kieffer sutherland to play Snake in MGSV.

All the Heat between Konami and Kojima i think its not fault exclusively of Konami, in fact i remember that they gave him a directive role in the company (obviusly because of his expertise).

hecatomb

Banned
SEQUELS ARE BAD NO INNOVATION

NO SEQUELS ARE BAD PLS NEED MORE SEQUELS

I am glad companies have profits to guide them in their decisions, because if they were guided by the dumb self-contradictory desires of the fans, the entire industry would be doomed.
lol if it was any other company, Contra would have been remade by now into a FPS shooter maybe. Silent hill 1 would have been remade. And mostly likely Castlevaina-dark souls type game would get made.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Hiroshi Yamauchi, when he was alive, was pretty arrogant. But I loved him anyway.

Phil Harrison was pretty bad, too. Back when he was with Sony. I haven't seen him in a while, so now maybe he has humbled. Who knows?

ILLtown

CliffyB came across as an arrogant twat multiple times during the run up to the release of Lawbreakers.

Hinedorf

Banned
Can't think of any one person I actively dislike to the degree that it would cause me headaches or sleepless nights.

In terms of developers or companies, I have had various beefs with various corporations over the time, including but not limited to: EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Blizzard, Sony, Microsoft, Konami and most recently Cloud Imperium Games, but they never seem to notice. So I stopped venting my impotent rage against glass towers and focused on more interesting things in life. I have enough other hobbies, life is too short to spend most of it bitching and moaning.

I don't know, he always seemed like a nice person. Yes he overpromised every release and is really bad at keeping a deadline, in an industry notorious for running late, but I don't see how he would be arrogant? Arrogant are "game journalists" who start an interview with the question if one could be called a pathological liar.

He was once my all time favorite developer I got to meet in person at E3. Incredibly charming individual I would still be throwing my money at but when he sold Lionhead Studios everything changed for the worse.

Top Bottom