• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ars: Early tests show bizarre issues with Nintendo Switch voice chat app

Caelus

I picked up a pro controller today for $15 off and it feels great, but there's not even a fucking headphone jack in the thing (unless I haven't looked carefully enough), so I know I'm gonna have to purchase an update in the future anyway if I want that feature

I'm definitely not playing online multiplayer games on this anytime soon... or perhaps ever. With all the brilliant work put into the Switch's design, what the fuck even is this implementation of voice chat? It goes against the very nature of the system!

This is something that needs to be addressed in the future with both software and hardware revisions.

Flintty

This image needs to be shared all over the Internet and to Nintendo's twitter. It's just so embarrassing and frustrating that in 2017 Nintendo still can't get online services right

Yup. Such a shitty feature on an otherwise fucking awesome platform. Utterly baffling.

I won't be paying for this shit. I hope the general population doesn't either, or we're fucked.

jts

...hate me...
K86aHRp.jpg

mhmm
Why is even that phone holder shown with these pictures? It's not needed, it's not helpful, it's not meant for this use and doesn't even work at all for it.

Might as well attach a fidget spinner to the top of the Switch if it's just for the lulz.

Poketune

Why is even that phone holder shown with these pictures? It's not needed, it's not helpful, it's not meant for this use and doesn't even work at all for it.

Might as well attach a fidget spinner to the top of the Switch if it's just for the lulz.

I think you're missing the point

Justified

The phone still needs to be there to complete the connection. Might as well have a holder than let it hang loose

Gestault

This is assuming Nintendo will eventually fix the lack of portrait-mode support: I can think of reasonable situations where you'd want to quickly swap between the Switch and the phone interface during multiplayer. It's a decently "sleek" solution compared to the alternative of physically juggling them. You need the phone to be active, so you're already having to disable sleep mode and keeping it in view, and this actually makes the arrangement much neater than it would be.

It's not an arbitrary add-on, the voice-chat solution is just that trash. Think about it; even you think it's a joke seeing it in pictures.

jts

...hate me...
I think you're missing the point

The point is that the accessory was being pushed as the way to use Switch online, and even after debunked it's still kinda shamelessly thrown into these forced viral pictures of how to play the Nintendo Switch online, to add some more clunk.

I even understand the Splatoon adapter, that while completely optional, it serves the function of mixing audio for those that need it, especially people that want to use cans.

The phone holder is just being purposefully silly and detracting to any serious discussion.

And yes, the app is a piece of shit - also unrelated to the these setup pictures, which highlight the issue that an app is necessary for voice chat, but don't say anything about the way that the app itself is designed (no voicechat in background, etc), which is the topic of this thread.

edit: and also yes, maybe I'm not fun at parties.

13ruce

Banned
I have ny worries about the classic games netflix like service too now.

It's gonna be like a handfull of games right lol? With a few added each month and sometimes some being removed.

PikkonX

I wonder if the next outlet that gets to talk to Reggie will have the balls to ask him WTF they were thinking and not let him skate around the question. They'll probably never get to talk to him again, but it might be worth it.

Gestault

The point is that the accessory was being pushed as the way to use Switch online, and even after debunked it's still kinda shamelessly thrown into these forced viral pictures of how to play the Nintendo Switch online, to add some more clunk.

I even understand the Splatoon adapter, that while completely optional, it serves the function of mixing audio for those that need it, especially people that want to use cans.

The phone holder is just being purposefully silly and detracting to any serious discussion.

And yes, the app is a piece of shit - also unrelated to the these setup pictures, which highlight the issue that an app is necessary for voice chat, but don't say anything about the way that the app itself is designed (no voicechat in background, etc), which is the topic of this thread.

I'm happy to disagree with you on this. You implied something that made the cellphone visible and accessible while playing was no different from an arbitrary piece of plastic. It's not making the arrangement look worse; it's making it seem better than it really is.

Socivol

This is pathetically bad for a technology company. Hopefully this is just a MVP build to just get it out there in time for Splatoon

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Who cares about the holder? The phone is still all wired up with the cumbersome setup.

This shit almost had as many wires as the PSVR...think about that!

Nesther

3.9 put of 5? How the hell is this app rated 3.9 out of 5? It's completely dogshit, not only as a "solution" to voice chat but the app itself is dogshit.

Yeah, it's still far too high, but it started around a 4.6 because people mass rated it a 5/5 for some reason.

Jumeira

Banned
Reminder to leave actual feedback on the app and in the Play Store / App Store.
What type of people are designing this to have to leave feedback about rudimentary design principles? This is beyond leaving feedback, they got EVERYTHING wrong. This is some of the most shameful, amateurish piece of engineering produced by any of the big companies, this is outstanding levels of negligence. Complete incompetence.

jts

...hate me...
I'm happy to disagree with you on this. You implied something that made the cellphone visible and accessible while playing was no different from an arbitrary piece of plastic. It's not making the arrangement look worse; it's making it seem better than it really is.
We have to agree to disagree then. The landscape orientation for an app that is locked to portrait orientation doesn't do any favours for readability; the extra weight on the controller for nothing makes it more uncomfortable to use; and moving those wires around when they can be stationary on a table is also an added drawback. At least, that's what I think.

That holder seems ok to play emulators on Android, if it's possible to sync the Joy-cons with Android.

molnizzle

Why does argument only get brought up with Nintendo? Seriously some lame shit. How many multiplats are on PS4 or X1? I guess those are pointless too since all they get are multiplats.

...because PS4 and X1 have a far larger library of exclusive content at this point. People did say the same shit about them at launch. Especially the PS4, which didn't launch with much.

f@luS

More than a member.
I will purely and simply not use voice chat on switch. THis is just too much bullshit to be true

THE system play and go which allows you to pick it up. Play few minutes , a match, a fight whatever then turn it off. This system .... ask you to spend 15" to wire it up for online voice chat ?

I'm out. Gladly.

ryanofcall

wow, keeping the app on screen at all times... that's almost like Pokémon GO, where it's exactly the same when you hook up the peripharel thing, or Youtube when I listen to podcasts/discussions.
There are many apps I criticise for not running in the background, but there's (almost) always a reason why they chose that design flaw- errr decision.
Maybe they want to start a thing... #donttextandgame

ryanofcall

What is actually baffling to me, is that there's no way to form up a team of 4 (or even less and fill in a spot by a random person) and match up with 4 others and then use voice chat with your friends who are in the same team. yikes.
But eh- will probably end up not using it much anyway (if it doesn't do anything cool)

Probably already been asked and answered, but I wonder if there is actually functionality for voice chat in Switch hardware, as in if the headphone jack is a mic jack too. Just hope Nintendo change their voice chat approach and can implement it on the Switch properly, even if it isnt for a few years.

I understand why Nintendo would only want you chatting to people on your friend's list, but doing it through a phone app is not a safeguarding measure in any way.

kewlmyc

Disgraceful. Nintendo is great at hardware, but goddamn are they ignorant about pretty much anything dealing with network communications.

Nintendo must have felt like things were going along too swimmingly. New console is popular and generating a lot of buzz, general feeling from the fans is positive, TIME TO F**K WITH IT!

:|

I feel like this is something Wii-era Nintendo came up with. They were doing so well lately garnering good vibes. >_<

Wiped89

Whaaat. You can't even pull down the notifications tray? How do you check your battery life?

I can't see my phone battery lasting more than an hour or two with the screen lit up and the speakers on.

And they want to start charging for this? Oh my god.

Well they have a year before I do any real online gaming. This should be fixed by Pokémon hopefully. Or even better, Pokémon just doesn't use it.

Whaaat. You can't even pull down the notifications tray? How do you check your battery life?

I can't see my phone battery lasting more than an hour or two with the screen lit up and the speakers on.

And they want to start charging for this? Oh my god.

I will note, that I did not have the Notifications tray issue on my Galaxy S7. I could pull it down without being disconnected.

Everything else, yup.

Galang

Banned
Mess. Hope Nintendo gets dragged to infinity and beyond for this. Ridiculous. They need to completely reboot this app at the least!

zenspider

Wow.

I was fine with the app idea when I assumed it would work like, ya know, an app.

The whole idea of people having their smartphones on them all the time is because they use them all the time - disabling basic telecommunication is counter-productive.

I'm going to try and bust out an old phone and just use it dedicated through wifi, at least until they fix this. It's early stiil.

Peltz

As I said in the other thread.

Messed around with Splatoon 2 online and the app. Nah, man. Nah.

giphy.gif
Wow. That is horrendous!!! Sheesh!!!!

Thanks for the write up though. I cannot believe how horrible this is.

When Nintendo announced the app I at least thought it would be well made. But everything about it is terrible

I should not get kicked out of a videogames chat to check a work email. This is insane.

boiled goose

good with gravy

The phone being loose doesn't really improve anything.

Top Bottom