• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ars: Early tests show bizarre issues with Nintendo Switch voice chat app

Bluth54

With how barebones the OS is and how it has 750mb and a CPU core dedicated to it, this isn't even a technical/resource decision. This is someone in Nintendo thinking off-loading all this stuff to a phone is a really good idea and forcing that decision through.

Yeah there's no technical reason the Switch can't support voice chat on the system itself.

It's kinda disappointing that they decided to include the IR Cameras on the Joycon in a weird position that 99% of games will never use instead of putting a Microphone on one of the joycons or the system itself, along with supporting microphones via the headphone jack.

Edit: Of course the whole online system should be on the system itself with the phone app as an optional extra.

I'm still utterly baffled as to why we don't at least have Messaging/Game Invites/Game Joining on the Switch OS. The Wii U did 2/3 of those things (granted, messaging was tied to the slow Miiverse app, but still). How did they step back from the Wii I'd infrastructure of all things?
I mean, OG Wii had direct messaging. You could even use the message board to send and receive simple emails.

13ruce

Banned
I'm still utterly baffled as to why we don't at least have Messaging/Game Invites/Game Joining on the Switch OS. The Wii U did 2/3 of those things (granted, messaging was tied to the slow Miiverse app, but still). How did they step back from the Wii I'd infrastructure of all things?

Honestly i think they rushed the Switch that's it Wii U was failing/dying and they needed Switch to launch last fiscal year wich ended in March or April i think for Nintendo.

They promised investors new hardware launch that year so they could not go back and delay it more. I truly believe that's it they run out of time made up the software fast and rushed a few hardware things maybe and called it worthy for mass production.

I am sure they will iron things out as things go on but it feels kinda like we are beta testing their app and features.... Wich should have been there day 1.

PR_rambo

Banned
Do some really think the exaggeration in these thread are helpful or funny in any way, especially in an unnecessary heated thread like this (some people are a bit weird here). If these are the people who normally use voice chat it is no wonder that most people think that voice chat with strangers is toxic. :D

There are probably issues with the beta voice chat solution for some people, but there is an feedback button in the (beta-)app itself. Use it! I am sure widespread complains will be targeted.

Console specific voice chat seems not to be a big thing these days anyway. All people I know that use PS4/XOne never use voice chat with strangers (all had very bad experiences with voice chat, especially the girls). For party chat they mostly use discord or skype on phones/tablets, because it is more convenient solution to talk to friends, because many have friends with a console from a different company :D

Console chats only allow friends with the same console, thats so 10 years ago solution. On PC almost no one use the in-game voice chat of games but discord or skype. I think Nintendo is here on the right way with outsourcing the voice chat to the phone.

There are groups like my own that actually met through in game chat on PS4. Not everyone wants to use discord, making a Chat party is much more convenient than keeping my phone or laptop on standby. Anecdotal evidence can go both ways, friendo.

You think this backlash now is bad? Just wait a few days starting tonight when people will actually try to use the app with Splatoon 2.

And if you think to yourself that people will just enjoy Splatoon 2 and everybody will forget about the app and this will go away, that says actually more about how this app has no reason to exists whatsoever.
Is it fair to ask if the Splatoon user base even cares about chat? Most Switch owners at this point are Nintendo die-hards who probably only buy Nintendo stuff; maybe they dabble in PC too. Seems to me they would be used to gimped features which is why we get apologists.

You do realise I haven't been defending this app and have been criticising it, right?
Guess we have different definitions of the word criticism based off your post I quoted

nynt9

You know the dock scratching the screens was only in a very, very, very small number of cases right? It's an example of the Internet spreading issues and making them seem widespread

Nintendo also resolved the JoyCon issue...

Not just stats but upcoming rotations. I'm unsure if there are elements in the game that inform you but I imagine it's for an out of game organisation thing.

Ok, but again, why is THE ONLY WAY to access splatnet outside of the game? If it was in the game and the app was just another way to access it it would have been fine.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

All they had to do was to take Miiverse (which is one of the few great ideas Nintendo had for Wii U) and improve it and integrate voice chat and invites/lobbies in it. A real social network for Nintendo fans, you know? How great would that be?

Instead we get this: a stupid idea with an even stupider implementation.

Is it fair to ask if the Splatoon user base even cares about chat? Most Switch owners at this point are Nintendo die-hards who probably only buy Nintendo stuff; maybe they dabble in PC too. Seems to me they would be used to gimped features which is why we get apologists.

The ones who care about chat will use discord or other third party apps in the end.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You think this backlash now is bad? Just wait a few days starting tonight when people will actually try to use the app with Splatoon 2.

And if you think to yourself that people will just enjoy Splatoon 2 and everybody will forget about the app and this will go away, that says actually more about how this app has no reason to exists whatsoever.

Given all of the Nintendo fans rushing out five star reviews for the app, Nintendo won't feel any backlash. I guarantee you're going to see Reggie say there's been a vocal minority, but the majority of Switch users are telling us they're happy.

Skux

This whole thing was a stupid idea. Can you imagine how many bugs they'll run into trying to optimise for a dozen version of iOS and Android? When they could have just put the chat on the fucking console OS in the first place?

13ruce

Banned
All they had to do was to take Miiverse (which is one of the few great ideas Nintendo had for Wii U) and improve it and integrate voice chat and invites/lobbies in it. A real social network for Nintendo fans, you know? How great would that be?

Instead we get this: a stupid idea with an even stupider implementation.

I never got why they are stopping Miiverse it was awesome. Still worst Nintendo decision to me. Putting down something awesome and pretty popular where fans could gather and post nice posts/drawings/screens even levels for sharing like games such as mario maker and talk about games.

Guess they want it through facebook and twitter now if you look at Splatoon 2, wich i for sure won't use my personal media accounts for.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Given all of the Nintendo fans rushing out five star reviews for the app, Nintendo won't feel any backlash. I guarantee you're going to see Reggie say there's been a vocal minority, but the majority of Switch users are telling us they're happy.

I'm pretty sure quite a number of those fans will be faced with the stupidity of it when they will actually try to use it.

Frodo

Urgh. Not only they are making it a weird proposition requiring an app to do something an app is not needed, but they still make an app that doesn't work as well as other similar apps... Smh, Nintendo.

Please consider not posting if you are trying to defend this, people.

Not even surprising, Nintendo have always had some of the most incompetent management staff on their payroll, continuously making bizarre decisions like this. It will never change either, as long as they can hide behind the good work the game studio side of Nintendo does to make up for their incompetence.

It's like keeping a blind goalkeeper with no arms in the team because you've got some of the best forwards in the world. Or not replacing the people responsible for the initial XB1 faults because Halo is a good franchise.

Genuinely one of the worst design decisions I've seen in years, shouldn't have even made it past the ideas phase.

Nesther

Why would you need to order clothes when you already have access to them in the shop? You're supposed to use the SplatNet 2 shop when you don't have the Switch with you, the same way you'd order a game from the PSN app.

So the clothes selection on the app is identical to the ones found in the shops?

13ruce

Banned
Obviously. But there's a mail ordering feature locked to the app, right?

Yes but what's bad about that? Same clothes will be ingame. In the first game clothes offerings in shops changed daily. I guess the app and Spaltoon 2 will do the same and have the same collection available maybe some different stats. I doubt it will have exclusive stuff, but it's handy for if you can't play splatoon that day but see something nice available you want.

Although even then clothes can always be picked up later again when they show up again in a store ingame + if you see inklings in the game itself with items you like you can mostly order what you like what they wear unless those clothes are story/rank/amiibo exclusive those will also not be on the app clothing store.

hemo memo

This whole thing was a stupid idea. Can you imagine how many bugs they'll run into trying to optimise for a dozen version of iOS and Android? When they could have just put the chat on the fucking console OS in the first place?

I don't understand what children they're trying to protect. They'll get an electric shock with this setup.

I never really bought into the concept of a blind, die-hard Nintendo defense force but seeing 1,700 5 star ratings for this app on the Google play store has me questioning that.

Unless of course Nintendo had some of their employees preemptively rate it because they knew how much of a thrashing it would take after it released. I mean, someone clearly knew this app was an absolute shitshow, why else would they have such a comprehensive feedback section?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Isn't Splatnet required for sending friend invites? Or can that be done in game?

We've been able to send friend invites since day one.

Honestly, no idea why people are attacking Splatnet 2, that's an actual handy feature of the app. (it's just a continuation of the first Splatnet, something I don't recall anyone complaining about). However, now instead of having multiple sites for their companions sites, they'll have one convenient app to access them all (remember, it's not just going to be Splatnet 2 in the future)

Keep criticism focused on the true bugbear, the awkward voice chatting system.

The private room system requiring you to interact with both the Switch and then the app is just oh so silly.

Jackano

Do we know who developed the app?

In-house Nintendo? In conjuction with Splatoon 2 team? In-house mobile teams?
What about DeNA involvement? Someone else (I don't think so)?

I want names for this debacle!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I never really bought into the concept of a blind, die-hard Nintendo defense force but seeing 1,700 5 star ratings for this app on the Google play store has me questioning that.

We were all young once.

I was just lucky I grew up with GCN era NoE, which was perfect for making me a cynical fan.

Do we know who developed the app?

In-house Nintendo? In conjuction with Splatoon 2 team? In-house mobile teams?
What about DeNA involvement? Someone else (I don't think so)?

I want names for this debacle!

75253.jpg

Where is your god now?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Lol wtf Nintendo. Just partner with Discord and work something out.
It already works with Discord and it's quite perfect for a use case where you play with close friends.
This is me enjoying voice chat in a real setup. See this inconvenience? I can easily deal with it. And I will still use Discord tomorrow, for Splatoon 2 sessions with my friends. Because the mixer audio merging just works, and Discord is awesome.

I don't understand what children they're trying to protect. They'll get an electric shock with this setup.

It requires them having constant access to an unlocked smartphone phone too, which could lead to far more serious trouble for a child if not properly monitored & restricted. This is the opposite of child protection.

It already works with Discord and it's quite perfect for a use case where you play with close friends.
This is me enjoying voice chat in a real setup. See this inconvenience? I can easily deal with it. And I will still use Discord tomorrow, for Splatoon 2 sessions with my friends. Because the mixer audio merging just works, and Discord is awesome.

Can we see you use it with the console docked please?

I was wondering why this thread was 17 pages long.

People are really defending the app and downplaying how utterly embarrassing it is in this day and age?

Come on lads. I was using voice chat with no problems, on the console with Halo 2 in 2004. PC players even longer before then. There is no defending this.

Nintendo fucked this up big time.

Leave feedback on the app. But jesus if you cant objectively see what a disaster this is you really need to reevaluate yourself.

Can we get clarification one more time about what we can or can't do without using the app? It seems there is a lot of confusion and misinformation around.

For instance, there is a friends section of the lobby completely separate from the app. Does this let you join any friend's room in any mode? Does it let you join a friend's private room created with the app?

We were all young once.

I was just lucky I grew up with GCN era NoE, which was perfect for making me a cynical fan.

I guess I just have way too much faith in people being rational (which frankly has been quite shattered in general since last November).

People are really defending the app and downplaying how utterly embarrassing it is in this day and age?

Come on lads. I was using voice chat with no problems, on the console with Halo 2 in 2004. PC players even longer before then. There is no defending this.

Leave feedback on the app. But jesus if you cant objectively see what a disaster this is you really need to reevaluate yourself.

There is actually nobody defending this app.

13ruce

Banned
Can we see you use it with the console docked please?

What if you sit on a far away sofa/couch tho? Cable is not pretty long right? Some people enjoy having a headset on for better quality audio or just to immerse themselves more.

But yeah plz show us!

I think the included cable with the hori headset is 2,5 meters. See if it covers your need at your place, otherwise you'd need to buy a longer cable.

Oh that's decent i guess, But meh if your sofa is like 3-4m+ away.

hemo memo

It requires them having constant access to an unlocked smartphone phone too, which could lead to far more serious trouble for a child if not properly monitored & restricted. This is the opposite of child protection.

It's an awful idea all around really. Just simply plug the headset in in the controller and that's it. How hard is it to implement? The Switch is capable why can't they just look to their competitors and see what they're doing Instaid of this.

Someone put this pic next to the GORO one

RRockman

Banned
We've been able to send friend invites since day one.

Honestly, no idea why people are attacking Splatnet 2, that's an actual handy feature of the app. (it's just a continuation of the first Splatnet, something I don't recall anyone complaining about). However, now instead of having multiple sites for their companions sites, they'll have one convenient app to access them all (remember, it's not just going to be Splatnet 2 in the future)

Keep criticism focused on the true bugbear, the awkward voice chatting system.

The private room system requiring you to interact with both the Switch and then the app is just oh so silly.

Good thing we still have people with working brains around here. No one was complaining about the Super Mario maker Add on website either.

XBOX voice chat was fully functional with Live's launch in 2002.

By 2004 Nintendo itself was doing it with the DS lol.

MK8 Deluxe actually has reduced voice capability.

Top Bottom