• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ars: Early tests show bizarre issues with Nintendo Switch voice chat app

Tom Nook

DFHWwggW0AAmxK9.jpg

hahahah

*that infomercial fail gif*

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that shit is baffling.

App is shit tbf. Left some feedback, but I doubt it will change much. Boggles my mind why they couldn't just have communication features through the console-OS.

Do yourselves a favor and support worthy communication apps like Discord instead.

welp SP machine for me then. To be fair I dont want to chat with anyone, ever, so its not that big of a deal to me. The rest of the game features sound fine. So I am not the target with an issue, but I can 100% see why this is an issue.

With all the extra adapters and dongles for iphone 7 users its becoming the new sega cd/32x/sonic and knuckles machine.

Man... Before we had full details I expected this app to at least deliver party-chat that worked independent of the game you were playing. It could (maybe it still can?) be pretty cool if they find a way to pull that off while still having smart game-specific features.

Instead, we have what seems to be a hot mess of limitations that just don't make any sense. Really not seeing why people would use this for voice chat over another app that does things better. Hope they can take feedback and improve things before the full service launches next year.

So is this correct:

Private Battle - invite friends via the console
Online Lounge - create a room and invite friends via the app

?

Yeah that's what it looks like.

My biggest disappointment with this whole thing is not only is voice chat limited by being a game by game basis, but then it's FURTHER limited in the games themselves. You can't even talk to people all the time in Splatoon 2...

killroy87

I'm reasonably confident that in time this will be ironed out to a less embarrassing state. But the fact that it was released as is, is truly pathetic. I'm as much a Nintendo fan as you'll ever see, but this is fucking silly.

Eradicate

It needs to be said over and over again. Complaining on a forum isn't going to do anything. Pissed off by this, upset by this, etc then actually provide actual feedback. This is one of the rare times where there is a direct way to do so to Nintendo. Use it. Remind people of this over and over again because there a lot of people that love to just complain and won't actually take the next extra step to get those complaints to the people that need to hear/read them. You see it in politics all the time to give an example. People that will bitch and moan about something but can't be bothered to pick up the phone and call their representative in the state government or congress and leave a message. Some won't even bother with the websites that will send a letter automatically where the only thing you need to do is fill in your name and added an email address. People that will not bother to put in the time to education people to vote one way or another in regard to something they dislike. Not even a family member. Reminding people that there is a way to directly give feedback is the very least one can do here to get Nintendo to understand what the damn problems are.

You got it! Let them know with every avenue available to you. Their email, Facebook, Twitter, the in-app suggestion box, through editorials/articles on websites, etc. They've changed things before based on feedback.

It's also not like they couldn't find a solution to this soon enough. There are USB ports available for setting up a dedicated Bluetooth "line" for a headset solution (or something, I don't know) that wouldn't interfere with the controller's Bluetooth connection. Then they could move some of the functions to the console, leaving the phone for extraneous things (see what your friends are up to, leave messages for them, etc., and who knows what other things they want to do with the app down the road, such as setting up hotspots or whatever) and another option incase you don't want the "Pro Headset" attachment for the dock.

But, why would they bother if enough people don't get onto them directly about it?

Also, that literal wire squid is a sight to behold!

Lmao the app can't run in the fucking background? So your phone is held hostage for the duration of your play session? What fucking year is it? And come next year Nintendo is going to have the nerve to ask people to pay for the pleasure of using this half asses bullshit.

Hylian7

I had that Splatoon headset pre-ordered, and cancelled it today. I was willing to give the app a chance, but this is a joke, lmao.

I'll just only voice chat with friends on Discord.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
When I first made the thread that Nintendo was going to require a phone app to voice communicate in games, all of the gaming news outlets didn't want to cover it because they were confused if that was even true because of Nintendo's piss poor communication.

Then they drop the phone app in a gimped state.

VeeP

SMFH. How... how did Microsoft get it right with Halo 2 in 2004, but Nintendo just can't get it right? HOW!?

Shit, even Sony had a better solution with the PS2, where you had to buy a separate Network Adaptor. I remember playing Jak X and Socom and just plugging in my USB headset into the system. And I was able to voice chat and everything, for free.

Nintendo, what are you doing?

Ogodei

Considering how easy Wii U made voice chat (despite basically no Nintendo software actually supporting it) this is indeed very unacceptable. Even the DS had a microphone...

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I just tested it and I'm happy to see the mixer works with my Senheiser :)

I just played Zelda, talking with a friend in Discord. Awesome.

Worth it for the mixer only, the headset is cheap.

KarmaCow

Not to minimize the voice chat "solution" stupidity but it's pretty surprising that the app is useless outside of the game itself. The only somewhat redeeming aspect of having the party stuff on your phone is that it can exist outside of the session or even game.

Cepheus

Even if Nintendo fixes this, it will be a permanent stain on their record. See: Xbox One's always-online nonsense when it was first announced

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
So bad it gets funny. Good thing I'm not really into voice chat in games. Nintendo should just have partnered with discord for this.

Not to minimize the voice chat "solution" stupidity but it's pretty surprising that the app is useless outside of the game itself. The only somewhat redeeming aspect of having the party stuff on your phone is that it can exist outside of the session or even game.

Yeah... I really thought that's what we'd get with the app. There's still hope for that to come, but it's a bummer at the moment.

This still sounds absolutely terrible, as someone who hates using his phone for even phone things this is not something I want to be dealing with. >_>

I'm a huge Nintendo fanboy but gawd help me if they ever release a multiplayer game I care about playing online if this is the shit we have to deal with.

Koh

Ahh bask in the schadenfreude. So good!

Hopefully they iterate quickly, but I still think the core idea is dumb.

JAYinHD

Get with the times Nintendo! There is no reason for this crap to not be baked into the OS. I love their games but this is not acceptable at all.

Synth

I know, because I want this god damn app to work right, and if I have to post it a million times I will. Everyone posts "unbelievable", "insane", "it's 2017" and everyone here gets it, but maybe the numbnuts who made this app have no clue, so we should all tell them.

Let's be honest. If they actually need the feedback that their app should maybe not cease working in the background, then we're probably fucked regardless.

oti

Banned
Even if Nintendo fixes this, it will be a permanent stain on their record. See: Xbox One's always-online nonsense when it was first announced

Comparing these two things is hilarious. This is a garbage App for a feature that many don't even know from Nintendo's old hardware. Restricting used games is a completely different thing that everyone cares about. Literally an actress from Lost tweeted out how much MS sucks. This wouldn't happen for Voice Chat.

Anyway. This is still unacceptable.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
GameXplain said you can't even pull down the notification tray on your phone while using the app and voice chat. You immediately get cut off.

Ok, this sounds like no multi tasking at all...

Like wtf...

For something that some said was offloaded to save resources on the Switch, looks like its using very lil on phones as is...

This is like mobile apps, games from 2009, 2010...if that.

Top Bottom