• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arstechnica: Don’t read too much into the PS4’s million day-one sales

Legis

Neo Member
Sure launch day sales aren't an indicator of long term success, but who cares? It's an exciting start to this gen.

No Love

Banned
Naw. I think PS4 sales are going to be extremely strong, even past the beginning. It's going to be a strong seller throughout its lifetime, unlike PS3 which only picked up steam about halfway through its lifecycle.

Azure J

It's kinda amusing watching all these people running to take a tassel or two off of the PS4 launch parade honestly. Sure, we can't (and shouldn't) make any final calls or long term guesses based on the console's sales in what amounts to Day 1-4 and change sales, but come the fuck on. A million in a day is wild and speaks very loudly against a lot of "conclusions" drawn in recent times about console gaming.

I get their overall point, but this seems like they're just reaching for reasons to downplay the big news. I mean, it's the most successful console launch in history. That's a big deal. While it might not be a foolproof predictor of the console's success, it still bodes well. If nothing else, it's a pretty foolproof predictor that the console industry isn't heading for a crash (as so many Wii U defenders have assured us). People were ready for next-gen.

Zoator

Their points are all valid, and it is a marathon, not a sprint (to quote Jack Tretton). However, a strong start certainly helps. Time will tell if they can keep it up, but at least from what we know right now, they seem poised to.

The numbers, whether they want to think it or not, show a real excitement for next gen gaming, and obviously the PS4. You're not going to get to a million day one purchases simply because "meh, its the first one out."

People WANT this system. They want the Sony we've seen throughout this year. They want the amazing games we've been shown and promised.

The console and the games are only going to get better, so if a million people jumped with limited voice functionality, a (in many opinions) weaker than the competition launch line up and at this price point, imagine when the games start steam rolling in, when devs really tap the power, when the UI and OS are better, faster, more featured filled, and when that price drops.

TL;DR: This is going to be a big fucking deal.

Mrbob

Yeah because Playstation hasn't had 3 generation of great support already and massive sales.

Should have sold 200K month one like PS3, better barometer for success I guess.

Aaron

The market has changed so much in eight years that past console sales can not be used as an indicator for future sales.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
lol... I can't WAIT for their article next Monday.

balance and such.

oh ars... wtf has happened to you. :(

It's a good start. Fast forward to January NPD to see how it's still doing.

However, if it can put up another huge number in December and shelves are empty, then I think the PS4 can be called an early success without hesitation.

PBY

Banned
It's kinda amusing watching all these people running to take a tassel or two off of the PS4 launch parade honestly. Sure, we can't (and shouldn't) make any final calls or long term guesses based on the console's sales in what amounts to Day 1-4 and change sales, but come the fuck on. A million in a day is wild and speaks very loudly against a lot of "conclusions" drawn in recent times about console gaming.

Soo.. you basically agree with the premise of the article. No ones trying to "take a tassel" off the launch.

rvy

Banned
If my grandmother had wheels, she would be a truck. My grandmother is dead. Thanks Arstechnica. I'll be sure to pop in your website to check whether the sky is red or blue.

twofold

I don't see anything controversial in this article at all. He's right - launch day sales have no bearing on long term sales. Congratulations to Sony for selling 1 million on day one - seriously, it's an amazing accomplishment - but there's still a long way to go. The next 12 months are going to be interesting sales-wise.

The market has changed so much in eight years that past console sales can not be used as an indicator for future sales.

Yup, this too. Technology moves so quickly. Who knows what sort of stuff we'll have in a year or two (or five, or ten..). I can easily see a disruptive technology moving in and turning the gaming market on its head.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I have condensed the article so you don't have to click it:

"One million sales is great, but don't read into it too much. Who knows where the PS4 will be sales wise in a few years. And besides, if Sony had produced two million, they would have sold two million. And the Wii would have too if Nintendo produced that many systems. Don't forget how many consoles the Dreamcast/Xbox/Gamecube sold on their first month of sales, and look how that turned out. Plus the Xbox One is gonna have a great launch according to the marketplace buzz."

This article is TOO early. That's the problem.

Atleast wait a damn month after all systems are out to put out a piece like this.

Releasing this article now stinks of fanboyism.

Just out of curiosity is this the same Ars writer who said the difference between 720p and 1080p doesnt matter while also posting on GAF that Deep Down isnt good enough for next gen because it looks like it might not be 1080p? And who was also the same one who said xbox DRM was the best thing ever and removing it was mistake?

Kyle something?

What a random, pointless article.

All they're doing is bringing perspective into this console launch.

It's been a great launch, but we'll need to wait a bit longer to see whether the console has actually succeeded in the market.

However, what they've failed to recognize is how the PS4 is well-oriented for success. Instead, they've mocked the PS4's successful launch as an isolated incident.

Skilletor

Does this setup the article next week when XB1 doesn't sell as well, but don't read too much into it because the 360 didn't sell as well as the DC but ended up being more successful?

FyreWulff

Well, it's always been stupid to judge something's success off a tiny window.

I mean, Halo 4 is the fastest selling Halo game of all time. It's also the fastest declining Halo game of all time in terms of online population.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
This reads like damage control for Microsoft.

honestly, without getting all baiting, this is EXACTLY what I thought.. "We need to temper that enthusiasm for the 1M units in case MS does less than 1M on Friday and everyone starts saying 'lulz XBONE is screwed!!!!'"

I would love to be wrong

I'm probably not

nib95

Banned
Just out of curiosity is this the same Ars writer who said the difference between 720p and 1080p doesnt matter while also posting on GAF that Deep Down isnt good enough for next gen because it looks like it might not be 1080p? And who was also the same one who said xbox DRM was the best thing ever and removing it was mistake?

Kyle something?

Yeap. It is. Lol.

EDIT: Hold up, The Kayle is not Kyle. But Kyle is the one who wrote the previous 1080p vs 720p article, yes.

Goliath

Why do people act like Sony and the PS4 are just lucky and have nothing going for it except stock??

They have a great Price Point
Indie Support
Easier for 3rd party devs to use (especially better then PS3)
Great 1st Party Studios
Worldwide Appeal

It's nothing like the Xbox (mainly sells in NA), Dreamcast (Bankrupt), Gamecube or Wii U (weak 3rd party support).

RedStep

This is pretty clearly a hedging of ones bets here. In the future, if the PS4 is outsold, he can point to this article and say "See! I told you so!" and if the PS4 is not outsold it will be forgotten and never mentioned again.

Doesn't this apply to every predictive article ever? Nobody is going to sit and call out their own incorrect predictions from the past. Why would they? Nobody is psychic, everybody calls things wrong.

Though, I don't know if I've ever seen a journalist say "See! I told you so!" years later. That sounds more like a forum poster's tactic.

Top Bottom