• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArsTechnica: Hackers unlock NES Classic, upload new games via USB cable

tornjaw

For some reason, when I load Mega Man 1-6, 4, 5 & 6 all have MEGA MAN written instead of MEGA MAN 4 etc. Ideas?

MooMilk2929

Vs. Excitebike - Different soundtrack that uses the FDS sound table. Game is different in general. Same Excitebike gameplay. Interesting tweaks (like your racer blinks to indicate the turbo is running out).

All Nippon Night Super Mario Bros. - It's technically an official ROM hack from Nintendo. It's the original Super Mario Bros. with modified sprites and scenery and uses some graphics from the Japanese only FDS Super Mario Bros. 2.. It's neat and I guess a novelty if you're interested in a different version of the original SMB.

Bubble Bobble (FDS) didn't work for me. Just crashed on boot. Not sure what the problem was. C6 error, I believe.

Not an FDS title but I recommend NES Kid Icarus. Delete the one that comes with the system and replace it with a dumped version. Passwords work.

The FDS version should work but it has a save system instead of passwords. Passwords are good for cheats and skipping around.

Last I heard All Nippon was not dumped yet. It's a rare game that goes for 500 dollars or more. What is available now is a rom hack designed to look like it and that seems to be enough for people.

baconcow

Thanks. Will need to look in to this if roms can be patched to work?

I've found references to games being patched, in the past, to work on many emulators. Many of them end up being patched to MMC3, which is one of Nintendo's mapper (I believe). Some old reference I found showed Crisis Force being patched to MMC3 mapper, but it was only a reference. I think it all depends on which mapper and ROM being patched. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to do it. It may very likely be a manual process.

I took all the original games off my Famicom Mini knowing they could be put back on - which I'd like to do with some of them. But the list of the 30 games in Hakchi2 is the list of NES Mini games. I assume they correspond to the 30 games on the Famicom Mini, but is there a way to tell which is which other than by trial and error of putting them back on/off again one by one?

tornjaw

I took all the original games off my Famicom Mini knowing they could be put back on - which I'd like to do with some of them. But the list of the 30 games in Hakchi2 is the list of NES Mini games. I assume they correspond to the 30 games on the Famicom Mini, but is there a way to tell which is which other than by trial and error of putting them back on/off again one by one?

List of NES games available on the NES Classic Edition (NTSC/PAL)
Code:
Balloon Fight™
BUBBLE BOBBLE
Castlevania™
Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest™
Donkey Kong™
Donkey Kong Jr. ™
DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE
Dr. Mario™
Excitebike™
FINAL FANTASY®
Galaga™
GHOSTS’N GOBLINS®
GRADIUS™
Ice Climber™
Kid Icarus™
Kirby’s Adventure™
Mario Bros. ™
MEGA MAN® 2
Metroid™
NINJA GAIDEN
PAC-MAN™
Punch-Out!! ™ Featuring Mr. Dream
StarTropics™
SUPER C™
Super Mario Bros.™
Super Mario Bros. ™ 2
Super Mario Bros. ™ 3
TECMO BOWL
The Legend of Zelda™
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link™

List of NES games exclusive to the NES Classic Edition (NTSC/PAL)
Code:
BUBBLE BOBBLE
Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest™ 
Donkey Kong Jr. ™
FINAL FANTASY®
Kid Icarus™
Punch-Out!! ™ Featuring Mr. Dream
StarTropics™
TECMO BOWL

List of NES games exclusive to the Famicom Classic Edition (JAP)
Code:
Atlantis no Nazo
Downtown Nekketsu Kōshinkyoku: Soreyuke Daiundōkai
Final Fantasy III
NES Open Tournament Golf
Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari
Solomon's Key
Tsuppari Ōzumō
Yie Ar Kung-Fu

Source: Wikipedia

List of NES games available on the NES Classic Edition
I know the games that are on each system - The thing is hakchi lists the NES Classic games under the '30 games' tab on the menu even if you have a Famicom Mini connected. So as far as I can tell, there's no way to see which game is which.

Unless I reset it by putting back the original kernel and starting everything from scratch? But even then if I wanted to only remove certain games I guess it would be a case of trial and error because the names in hakchi correspond to the Nes Classic, not the Famicom Mini.

I know I could put the roms of the original games on, but the Makaimura rom had some graphic issues that were not present in the original version on the Famicom Mini, so I would just prefer to restore them.

Got mine all setup this morning. I kept running into a weird error in Parallels on my Mac while trying to load it, but I think that Windows 7 install is borked anyway. I switched to a spare PC laptop and it went off without a hitch. Can't wait to have an office Tetris tournament after work on Friday!

Got mine all setup this morning. I kept running into a weird error in Parallels on my Mac while trying to load it, but I think that Windows 7 install is borked anyway. I switched to a spare PC laptop and it went off without a hitch. Can't wait to have an office Tetris tournament after work on Friday!

Which version of Tetris did you add? I chose the original one developed by Nintendo (that's the one I had as a child), but I'm considering Tengen Tetris and Tetris 2 as well. I don't want to add too many games though, because I want at least 3 save slots for each game.

Which version of Tetris did you add? I chose the original one developed by Nintendo (that's the one I had as a child), but I'm considering Tengen Tetris and Tetris 2 as well. I don't want to add too many games though, because I want at least 3 save slots for each game.

Tengen, that's the legit one IMO.

baconcow

I hope these programmers are able to determine a way to add a static overlay to the emulator. Not used to the edge glitches as my old CRT TV always hide them.

D.Lo

Maybe I did something wrong yesterday. Will try again later. What do you mean by seizure filter?

I used Summer Recca Pure hacked rom which makes certain modes otherwise hidden selectable from the start, if that helps.

If you delete
Code:
--enable armet
at the end of the command line it removes the seizure filter

Oh man I'll try this later. Does it apply to the CRT selection, or the 4:3 selection I wonder...

It put scanlines on everything for me when i tried it on Double Dragon.

Like I have my NES Mini modified as my 'main' mini system and was going to leave my mini Famicom stock... but now I feel I might go in and 'perfect' the Famicom too.

I thought of making a "famiclassic" edition with all games from both systems and I quickly tried a bunch of the english translation versions of the Japanese games on my classic and they seemed to work fine, but it got too much with those and the games I want on there. I'd prefer it to have space for at least one save state per game really...another thing im tempted/toying with is having 2 copies of hakchi2 on my computer and using one to flash for 2 player games for when friends come over and one for single player titles

Chucker

What games are known to have graphic effects that require this to be disabled besides Recca?
Zelda 2, Castlevania 1-3, Ninja Gaiden 2, Recca, Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior 1-4, basically anything that flashes.

Quickest one off the top of my head to find is Castlevania, grab a cross and keep moving. Watch the screen.

https://youtu.be/zdJsLWMqTUY

When the bomb drops you basically lose the screen.

Edit: Here, this is the best example, other than him missing the rock throw like a noob.
https://youtu.be/yP-ErdlfC4o

D.Lo

Damn the scanlines effect looks fantastic! Why didn't they include this in the UI...

Anyway it looks so good now I'll either have to disable and re-do the included games or wait and see if the hackers make it so you can edit the existing games. I need this effect in Castlevania 1!

radcliff

Damn the scanlines effect looks fantastic! Why didn't they include this in the UI...

Anyway it looks so good now I'll either have to disable and re-do the included games or wait and see if the hackers make it so you can edit the existing games. I need this effect in Castlevania 1!

Does it add scanlines to all graphic options or just remove the blurriness from CRT mode?

OmegaFax

Last I heard All Nippon was not dumped yet. It's a rare game that goes for 500 dollars or more. What is available now is a rom hack designed to look like it and that seems to be enough for people.

I've been duped! I want my money back, pronto. Could have sworn the dump was the real deal.

Seriously, it's a neat reproduction of the hack. I'd never thought twice or looked into the history of the game and assumed it was dumped a long time ago. Regardless, works well on the NES Mini and is a neat shuffle of Mario and Mario 2 levels.

tanuki

Amazing, I can't believe there was a scanlines option available and it wasn't included (without crt filter) in the NES Classics options menu.

Raitaro

Attract more will only select one of the original 30 and will skip over any new games.

As of maybe 2 versions ago a "uninstall" option has been implemented. It removes all traces of Hakchi and re-flashes the original kernel.

In the week that it's been out there have been zero reported bricks.

Thanks so much for your answers. I might hold off on hacking mine for a while to see if people keep being happy with their hacked systems, and perhaps to see if the attract mode feature can be updated yet somehow, but the latter two answers you provided do make me feel more or less safe enough to give it a go at some point.

To be clear, I'll never need 80+ games on there necessarily, just 20 or so more to fill in the most pressing gaps for me (Tetris, Faxanadu, TMNT 2 and 3, Bionic Commando, Crystalis, StarTropics II, a few more Mega Mans, Mighty Final Fight, Power Blade 1 + 2, Ice Hockey - which I still can't believe Nintendo skipped by the way - and maybe a handful more...).

Yeah, unfortunately Mario will just skip those games. Which is a bummer because I love that feature, too! I just leave it on when I go to bed sometimes, it's very relaxing :) Maybe the creator of the software will work something out? I could be wrong, but I think some of the games seem to have specific demo routines, while others just run the game for a while.

Ah, I had a feeling he might. That's too bad.

Just like you, I also put the attract mode on to have some fun and relaxing background visuals and noises! I always like attract modes and demo's in games in general for that kind of use. (As a sidenote: a game like SFV not having any attract mode was kind of a bummer for me, though I might be almost alone in that complaint.) Hopefully the software can be updated to feature every game as that would rock. (Then again, if nobody else besides people like us is asking for it, maybe the chances are low...)

I'm guessing Nintendo is going to remove the USB for any future releases.

Yep, that's my fear as well, which would suck as that would probably mean no Secret of Mana, FFVI and Turtles in Time on my device in the future (unless Nintendo adds them, which I doubt). Or, if they want to be particularly protective, they might even reconsider doing any follow-ups like a Snes Classic completely (unless the success of the Nes Classic and its profits are being the bigger draw still).

Chucker

Cluster has cracked the reset from NES controller issue. Will be included in next build, probably within a few hours.

0racle

What are the legalities on this ? And the GAF rules.

Is it appropriate to ask where to get these additional games ?

So I just tested the classic mini for the first time and holy shit the controller sucks. Down on the dpad registers as left/right as well if your not PERFECTLY centered. Can't duck in SMB3 without Mario running in some direction. Anyone else have this problem?

Zelda 2, Castlevania 1-3, Ninja Gaiden 2, Recca, Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior 1-4, basically anything that flashes.

Quickest one off the top of my head to find is Castlevania, grab a cross and keep moving. Watch the screen.

https://youtu.be/zdJsLWMqTUY

When the bomb drops you basically lose the screen.

Edit: Here, this is the best example, other than him missing the rock throw like a noob.
https://youtu.be/yP-ErdlfC4o

Super Mario Bros. 3 as well. Whenever you grab a "?" orb after defeating a mini-boss or grabbing a wand after defeating a Koopa Kid.

God I hate this epilepsy filter. I knew there would be a catch to the removal of the dark filter on the VC. What's especially bad about the Battletoads case is that it doesn't even seem to prevent the flashing correctly, and just hampers gameplay. What a shitshow.

Top Bottom