• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArsTechnica: Hackers unlock NES Classic, upload new games via USB cable

What's a preset ? Some kind of rom containing several roms or a folder for the NES mini ? Thanks !

It just lets you save presets of selected roms so you could flash between say a standard list and a two player list for instance

Is there PAL support yet?

Would love to be able to play the superior Rainbow Islands on the nes classic.

PAL games work... the music is just sped up a little

Is the NES classic easy to find now and worth it? Being able to choose and upload 80 additional games makes it really tempting.
Edit: amazon shows no new and 150 used. What the he'll?it's been out forever is Nintendo just not going to restock it?

I weep for the unhackable SNES mini that will likely result from this. Love what cluster has done thus far with this tool, though. The quick menu shortcut is a godsend.

psilva

MyEpitomeCliché;228693943 said:
I weep for the unhackable SNES mini that will likely result from this. Love what cluster has done thus far with this tool, though. The quick menu shortcut is a godsend.

giphy.gif

So is it a rule of thumb that if your Rom has save files, if you save it on the save file, it won't actually show up? you need to utilize the suspend point?

Was playing ROTK 2 and I saved it..but when I tried to load it..it couldn't find it.

F34R

My hard drive crashed in the computer that I made the original dump with. :( Now I don't have that. Any suggestions?

F34R

I guess ask someone to lend you the original kernal file?
Thanks. I was thinking each dump was "console" specific. /facepalm Thanks for helping the brain injury guy out lol.

edit:

on that note, I was able to get it. Huge thanks to the person who sorted it for me.

shanafan

Can I just replace the exe file if I am going to a higher version?

I ask because I noticed some different folders and files with 2.10 compared to my earlier release. If I did run the newest folder from a new folder, it doesn't show my prior build I added to the NES Mini so I am not sure what if I happen if I were to run it.

D.Lo

Can I just replace the exe file if I am going to a higher version?

I ask because I noticed some different folders and files with 2.10 compared to my earlier release. If I did run the newest folder from a new folder, it doesn't show my prior build I added to the NES Mini so I am not sure what if I happen if I were to run it.
It's right there in the FAQ. No you need to replace everything that comes in the Zip. You just maintain the games and dumps folders.

-Gozer-

So there's no game that could possibly use that button combo otherwise, is there?

I wonder if the coder of that application just found a flag for it or actually put it in there him/herself.

I know that Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom uses select and the dpad to switch weapons. Holding select and down switches to the whip.

Shaneus

Thanks. I was thinking each dump was "console" specific. /facepalm Thanks for helping the brain injury guy out lol.

edit:

on that note, I was able to get it. Huge thanks to the person who sorted it for me.
Can I ask how big that dump is? Just out of curiosity until I get a chance to dump it myself.

I know that Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom uses select and the dpad to switch weapons. Holding select and down switches to the whip.
I'm guessing the next release of the dump tool will have an option to disable it for certain games.

WaveRider

Neo Member
Shaneus said:
I'm guessing the next release of the dump tool will have an option to disable it for certain games.

Version 2.10 allows you to change the controller button "reset" combination to what ever you would like.

So is there a precise number of games to put on the NES CE? The FAQ of hakchi2 says to avoid 90 to 100, does that mean up to 89 is a safe range, or have people had problems before that? And what kind of problems occur? I'm sorry if this has been answered, I checked previous pages and couldn't find if there was a clear answer.

Chucker

So is there a precise number of games to put on the NES CE? The FAQ of hakchi2 says to avoid 90 to 100, does that mean up to 89 is a safe range, or have people had problems before that? And what kind of problems occur? I'm sorry if this has been answered, I checked previous pages and couldn't find if there was a clear answer.
I had been kicking around 87, but now hover around 65 just because I want save states and I'm never going to play 60 NES games at any given time.

I have 2.10 installed on my NES now and it's pretty much perfect at this point. I changed the home button combo to start+select and it's working just fine. I'm really happy with the improvements made to this machine!

edit:

You reminded me that I need to back up the file off of my hard drive :) thanks

The auto patch version of Hakchi2 finally got my Battletoads to work! Yay!

Which FDS games are worth grabbing that work okay? Do all FDS games have additional music over the cart version?

My GF and I spent a while playing the Nintendo and Tengen tetris. Other than Dr. Mario, are there any other good games in this type of puzzle game?

The FDS has a version of Puyo Puyo, which has 2 player.

I haven't seen anyone say anything but I just updated my Hakchi and uploaded some new games to the NES Mini but now when I try and play the NES I get the C8 error. Am I screwed?

D.Lo

For those asking about FDS, the FDS emulator isn't great honestly. It emulates the sound at the correct pitch, but the expansion channels are far too loud. That's okay for Metroid and Zelda which most of the time don't use them for music (except items in Metroid) but it ruins many of the Konami games.

Alright, I took some games off and it still gives me a C8 error. I didn't have this problem with the old Hakchi. I dumped my original Kernal back on it and it loads up fine but when I use the custom Kernal again it just errors out. Any ideas?

duckroll

Alright, I took some games off and it still gives me a C8 error. I didn't have this problem with the old Hakchi. I dumped my original Kernal back on it and it loads up fine but when I use the custom Kernal again it just errors out. Any ideas?

C8 is usually a single title problem. Find out which game it is.

Alright, I took off the two new games I added with the new Hakchi update and went with the old ones before the update and...still a C8 error.

For some reason the new Hakchi update gives me a C8. Maybe I'll download the old version and try that again.

Still giving me a C8 error. I'll post a screenshot to see if someone can identify what games I have loaded that might be the problem. I'm lost!

usoXgZ2.png

D.Lo

Akumajou Densetsu won't work for one thing?

Unrelated point, clusterm is adding command line arguments to original games! So the scan line effect can be added to them!

@BulletBees

I got a C8 error the other day. It was the first time I'd put back on (ticked the box for) the original 30 games. So for me it was either that (I have a Famicom Mini and hakchi doesn't list the 30 games correctly for that, it shows them a the NES Classic lineup) or that I'd put on too many games and that extra 30 had pushed me over the edge, when I took them back off everything was back to normal.

So you could try taking a few games off until the error goes, then you'll know the max number of games you can have no.

edit - also Mr Gimmick doesn't work.

Chucker

Yeah, seems to be Akumajo Densetsu (which gives an error when you add it saying hey this won't work) and Mr. Gimmick use unsupported mappers.

dock

Playing around with this more this morning, adding a few more puzzle games.

The 'down + Select' shortcut for menu is actually a problem for a lot of puzzle games that use Select as 'restart level'. I also had the same problem with assigning it to Start+Select. What combination have you used?

This menu shortcut has rectified one of my biggest discomforts with using the NES mini! I love it!

I recently bought an Alienware Alpha R2 which has Retroarch with a Dualshock 4 and all that fancy stuff, but I think the NES mini is a much better experience all around. I'm really excited to know I can stuff this full of puzzles and co-op games to play in the future. For the time being I'm happy to use my Wii Classic controller as player 2, and some day I'll pick up a second NES controller.

(btw U.K. folk I highly recommend the Orzly twin pack of NES Classic extension cables on amazon)

Top Bottom