• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Art Academy: Atelier comes to WiiU on June 26th (EU)

Exile20

This seems so insanely niche. I fear for its sales should it be released in North America. Looks cool, though!

I think Nintendo knows that and probably put a skeleton crew on the game. Maybe that is why it took so long to come out.

Kinsei

Banned
Could you imagine if they actually talked about this during their Digital Presentation? Please... god... no. Now it's going to happen.

They've mentioned Art Academy games in past directs. Not sure what the big deal is. It's not like this is some trashy shovelware.

They've mentioned Art Academy games in past directs. Not sure what the big deal is. It's not like this is some trashy shovelware.

It's literally the most boring game they could possibly talk about. It's a drawing app... for a system that already has multiple drawing apps. I'd be more excited for a new Mario Paint.

jariw

Could you imagine if they actually talked about this during their Digital Presentation? Please... god... no. Now it's going to happen.

Wouldn't that be a little strange, considering that the NoA E3 site from last year had it listed as a 2014 release? It's a delayed app.

Spinluck

I remember when Iwata announced this game many Directs ago. He even recommended this special stylus to draw on the gamepad, which I bought. :p

wiiuaccessorypenscreen620x340.jpg

I can't find this.

Not on Amazon?

L Thammy

I thought that this was a game that taught you to draw moe characters. Which would actually be brilliant; I'm sure that skill is in demand right now.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I assume we'll hear about this in the US during E3 or something. Like surprise, here's a game releasing in 2 weeks. So there's no announcement for Japan though? Interesting.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
What the hell? How could this possibly have taken this long to develop? I had expected this a few months after Art Academy came out, not a few years.

Robin64

It's literally the most boring game they could possibly talk about. It's a drawing app... for a system that already has multiple drawing apps. I'd be more excited for a new Mario Paint.

There are some drawing apps on Wii U, but none of them have the extensive level of teaching that the Art Academy apps offer. They are extremely comprehensive and really do help everyone, from beginners to those more confident with their abilities.

Also, it's the only one that really goes out of its way to accurately simulate drawing with real tools on paper. There's usually not even an undo function, it's very realistic. This means people can learn on here and then translate those new skills over to real items quite easily.

jariw

I assume we'll hear about this in the US during E3 or something. Like surprise, here's a game releasing in 2 weeks. So there's no announcement for Japan though? Interesting.

It's a UK-developed title, so releasing first in NoE might have some logic.
Or not.

TheMoon

What the hell? How could this possibly have taken this long to develop? I had expected this a few months after Art Academy came out, not a few years.

They made a 3DS entry centered around Pokémon in the meantime. That probably delayed things for this version a bit (= waiting for higher install base - would not be shocked if they just decided to hold onto this for strategic reasons mostly).

TunaLover

I will very upset if they don't make some sort of compensation for people who bought Sketch Pad with the promise to include lessons "coming soon"

:/

I will very upset if they don't make some sort of compensation for people who bought Sketch Pad with the promise to include lessons "coming soon"

Weren't the lessons always going to be DLC that you purchase though? If this gives a discount to the full product it's in essence the same.

jariw

Apparently, Art Academy: Atelier supports amiibo. Wonder if the Inkling amiibo will auto-paint the whole canvas? :)

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Saw a review pop up for the game (link). I guess review copies were sent out? They seem to like it and think it's the best in the series. I've never really tried these games, but their positivity and my desire to improve my art skills has me interested.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

But they are. They're essentially giving you the money you've spent on Sketchpad back if you purchase Atelier from the eShop.

jariw

Saw a review pop up for the game (link). I guess review copies were sent out? They seem to like it and think it's the best in the series. I've never really tried these games, but their positivity and my desire to improve my art skills has me interested.

I saw some more reviews on other Nintendo-focused sites as well. Seems to get really good reviews. In addition to the NintendoLife review mentioned above:
http://www.nintendofeed.com/2015/06/review-art-academy-atelier-wii-u-eshop.html
http://www.nintendo-insider.com/2015/06/08/art-academy-atelier-review/

Crema

Looking forward to this. Can't draw well at all, so I'm hoping the lessons are handy for someone like myself.

Omg! Finally out! The wait is over!
http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu/art_academy_atelier

9/10

Good stuff! I actually learned to draw/paintwith the 3ds academy from zero to really *actually* understanding how to draw amd able to do things never had imagined before. I can nothing but recommend this to anyone who wants learn in a fun and easy way!

We need OT for sharing arts imho... Something with snarky.. "Learning to draw with the controller!" As title ;)

I'm travelling, but back tommorrow and will do it if no one else more able wants to do it?

jeffers

Omg! Finally out! The wait is over!
http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu/art_academy_atelier

9/10

Good stuff! I actually learned to draw/paintwith the 3ds academy from zero to really *actually* understanding how to draw amd able to do things never had imagined before. I can nothing but recommend this to anyone who wants learn in a fun and easy way!

We need OT for sharing arts imho... Something with snarky.. "Learning to draw with the controller!" As title ;)

I'm travelling, but back tommorrow and will do it if no one else more able wants to do it?

with Wii U Draw

Top Bottom