• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Art Academy: SketchPad |OT|

Robin64

ZOS4ht5.png

Developer: Headstrong Games
Publisher: Nintendo
Release Date: August 7th (Japan), August 9th (US, Europe)
Formats: Wii U (eShop Download)
Price: ¥400 / $3.99 (US) / £3.59 / €3.99 / $5.20 (AUS)

Art Academy: SketchPad is a robust art application that anyone can enjoy - from beginners to experts of all ages. Unleash your creativity using realistic stylus and touch screen-based controls. The tools at your disposal allow for an amazing level of detail. The huge variety of pencils, colored pencils, and pastels behave just like the real thing – with additional tools to further enhance your experience.

Use a pre-loaded image as a subject, or anything else you wish to create works of art to your heart’s content. When you’re done, you can instantly share your creation by posting directly to Miiverse!

It became obvious within days of the Wii U launching that Miiverse was going to be home to many wonderful artists. Many images that cropped up were especially amazing considering the limitations of low resolution and one color, black.

During the early videos that demoed the GamePad's functionality, there was something that looked a little like this:

Many hoped that meant the Wii U would launch with a drawing application, but it didn't. But! It seems the drawing activity on Miiverse inspired Nintendo to release a small section of their upcoming Art Academy game with just this purpose. Called SketchPad, we can finally draw to our heart's content.

Official Screenshots

-RqECHCSvMpdzb2_p4fq8dwc5NZZVNi0.jpg

OGu0J4p0RFuQPuQN0ZFXgapnE6mx6YRE.jpg

htXtuq6h0RVHicp5NKTL7ddhsHPhYcZ0.jpg

TzJKysFxXRelpHwyeQswcyc4LDDoMbq6.jpg

So let's go at it. Let's do some amazing stuff and let's share here things we find on the community that are amazing too. If you post an image, please also link to the post on Miiverse so others can "Yeah!" them or follow the artist. Thanks!

A little warning, too: It turns out you can only have 12 things saved. So be careful and don't be scared of losing art! Still, bit of a shame...

oti

Banned
I'm so so bad at drawing but I really love all the Miiverse-artists out there. There should be a system in place to reward good drawings.

I tried the 3DS Art Academy but it didn't grab me at all unfortunately.
Saw this one on Miiverse today.

zlCfzRFLjDAs2CJm73

prag16

Banned
Some of the stuff already popping up on there is insane. Wonder what the price will be in the west.

Judging by 400 yen, I'd have to think $5 would be the absolute max.

zroid

Banned

Ashley <3

oh, it's only 400 yen!? that's actually not too bad at all, for some reason I was just assuming it'd be at least $10. Even though I have no artistic skill whatsoever, if it's $4-5 I will most likely download it.

hachi

Banned
This will certainly take Miiverse to the next level and set it apart completely from any possible attempts on competing platforms.

If only Nintendo could communicate the benefits of Miiverse to the wider public. It's truly one of the system's best ideas, and it makes a great case for the Gamepad at the same time.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'm so so bad at drawing but I really love all the Miiverse-artists out there. There should be a system in place to reward good drawings.

I tried the 3DS Art Academy but it didn't grab me at all unfortunately.
Saw this one on Miiverse today.

zlCfzRFLjDAs2CJm73
Beautiful. Now Nintendo needs to add in miiverse a saving feature!

This is great for people who don't have all the other bells and whistles at home (software/drawing monitor). I'll probably pass on it though unless someone else picks it up and I tinker with it... since I do have an arsenal of drawing supplies. *chuckles*

Nice to see it get some OT love though. :)

PBalfredo

So is Art Academy an app that you can launch in any Miiverse to draw in instead of the standard B&W sketchpad, allowing you to use to post color pics to, for example, the Smash Bros Miiverse? Or is it strictly used to post in it's own Miiverse, meaning all color pictures made by Art Academy are going to all be lumped together in the Art Academy Miiverse?

I hope it's the former, because a lot of potential is lost if it's the latter.

Baleoce

So is Art Academy an app that you can launch in any Miiverse to draw in instead of the standard B&W sketchpad, allowing you to use to post color pics to, for example, the Smash Bros Miiverse? Or is it strictly used to post in it's own Miiverse, meaning all color pictures made by Art Academy are going to all be lumped together in the Art Academy Miiverse?

Agreed, it would be a missed opportunity. Hopefully that's not the case.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου

All the drawings I've seen are in the Art Academy community, so chances are it's the latter.

batbeg

400 yen is like 4 dollars. It's pretty cheap, all things considered.

It's not necessarily that the price is obscene or anything, but considering the way they talked about releasing the drawing application in advance of the full Art Academy title, I had figured it was meant to be like a "demo" or "trial" of the software, and also meant to encourage more miiverse drawing.

I'll probably just wait for Art Academy to come out.

chadboban

These are just freaking incredible!

Is it going to be possible for people to post these on other Miiverse posts. Like say someone did a Pikmin drawing, would they be able to post it in the Pikmin community?

Edit: Seems like my question has been answered by Jocchan.

prag16

Banned
All the drawings I've seen are in the Art Academy community, so chances are it's the latter.

Are you in Japan? If not, that make sense as of now regardless since we don't share miiverse communities with other regions as far as I know (with the exception of this special Art Academy one).

Cosmozone

I have certain hopes that the summer update is bringing colored messages to Miiverse. Please. The Miiverse drawings are smaller then the screenshots, though.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Are you in Japan? If not, that make sense as of now regardless since we don't share miiverse communities with other regions as far as I know (with the exception of this special Art Academy one).
I'm not in Japan, but we can see the communities from other regions.

Japan: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/communities?view_region_id=1
Americas: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/communities?view_region_id=2
Europe and Oceania: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/communities?view_region_id=4
Americas seems the default value for invalid regions.

EDIT: Added links to all of them.

Kyzon

Ok, this is just the thing I needed to get me back into Drawing!
My skills will improve finally!!!! (maybe)

Exile20

So Miiverse went from pixel drawing, now to pastel. I can't wait for paint, ink, pencil, markers, crayons, etc.

Miiverse is going to explode.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

I went over this in the other thread.

There are likely multiple issues with what you are suggesting (though I admit it would be cool also).

1. the haves/have-nots. Essentially people would have to pay $4 for a Miiverse upgrade. I simply couldn't see Nintendo (or any of the manufacturers) doing that. If they were making this free I could see a better chance of that.. however..
2. storage and bandwidth. at black and white low resolution images, the Miiverse drawing-posts are extremely inexpensive. They are sent as indexed PNG files, and as such at a file size of roughly 5KB. If users posted ONE BILLION images to Miiverse, it would take up a mere 5TB. It also means these images will download quickly on almost any device/connection. By comparison, the screenshots are jpeg and stored around 250-300KB. So roughly 50-60 times larger than the B&W Miiverse shots. Meaning 50-60 times longer to download, and 50-60 times more space on a hard drive.

I think it would be cool as hell also.. but man. My activity feed is pretty massive. Adding 320x120 Art Academy thumbnails to even half of my activity feed would be a noticeable degradation. And I can't imagine the toll that would take on Nintendo's storage systems.

I'm kind of happy it isn't free and available in all communities. The art in Miiverse is great but since there isn't a dedicated art community for each game these advance pieces of art always seem a bit at odds with the scribbles, notes and screenshots that are quick manifestations of reactions to games. Color drawings would kind of jump out a bit too much. If it was free and unrestricted everyone would be using color in their doodles no matter the level of drawing. There is something very nice about even bad drawings in Miiverse in black and white form. It recalls the scribbles people do to remember something or draw in the margins of notes, which fits with Miiverse. I think free use of color would ruin this effect.

I've never used the draw option in Miiverse because I'm horrible at art. I wonder if this will be included within the planned Wii U Art Academy games. Hopefully the lessons included would allow me to atleast improve to a level where I could use the draw option if necessary and not have the image be absolutely dreadful and embarrassing.

AMAZING

Edit:

2. storage and bandwidth. at black and white low resolution images, the Miiverse drawing-posts are extremely inexpensive. They are sent as indexed PNG files, and as such at a file size of roughly 5KB. If users posted ONE BILLION images to Miiverse, it would take up a mere 5TB. It also means these images will download quickly on almost any device/connection. By comparison, the screenshots are jpeg and stored around 250-300KB. So roughly 50-60 times larger than the B&W Miiverse shots. Meaning 50-60 times longer to download, and 50-60 times more space on a hard drive.

Great points. I forgot to even think of the technical issues of more detailed images. What you've said makes a lot of sense.

Baleoce

Should post links to each one so people can "yeah" them if they want. And/or follow. I know some have already. Maybe put it in OP though.

Dwayne

Concerning, I just looked at the eShop for New Zealand and among the update news there was no mention of Art Academy :/ Spin the Bottle etc was there though.

Though I do note the Oceania Art Academy Miiverse has no colour art in it yet, perhaps the release is slightly delayed.

hachi

Banned
Could everyone (please ;) source the drawings by Miiverse post URL for those of us who want to like / follow the original author?

Haines

Banned
Its odd it releases tomorrow and still no NA price...If its 5 bucks thats a steal IMO.

This is one of those apps that will put the divide between the WiiU and other consoles.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
edited my post with user links

the mario one I posted is by the same guy who did Iwata and the Pikmin with strawberries.

Top Bottom