• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Article] Ninja Gaiden 3 | Burning ambition

3March

Banned
Link to the writeup

As opposed to just talking about the game on normal mode, and how easy it is, he talks a bit about the game's development, the experience playing it on higher difficulties, and what's changed from past games.

Raeng (The writer of the article) thinks that NG3, if it had succeeded critically and commercially (Which it didn't), could've ended up setting a bad precedent for future action games, but since it failed, he thinks that it acts as a bit of a warning to future game developers about this sort of thing.

He mentions history repeating itself with Ninja Gaiden starting, and kind of ending on a Nintendo console, but to add to that, history kind of repeated itself with God of War 2018, where a lot of action game fans thought that it was setting a bad precedent for future action games, what with turning a video-gamey franchise into a more "cinematic" one about "humanizing" the iconic protagonist.

It's a really good read.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Properly-balanced difficulty modes are still too difficult for most devs. Like it mentioned in the article, the Easy mode should (ideally) give a taste of the complex, badass techniques that will be required on higher difficulty modes while still letting the player enjoy the game with a much higher ceiling for failure than Normal or Hard.

But instead most devs make it so easy that the game "plays itself", like the article says.

I think modern action games should adopt the concept of 'rank' from old arcade games (mostly shmups). It wouldn't be rank in the modern sense ( Pure Platinum or SSS or whatever). Rank was a real-time ruleset that responded to the player's successes and failures and adjusted the difficulty of the stage as it progressed. Action games could do away with difficulty settings entirely and instead use a well-tuned Rank system.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I just finished Ninja Gaiden 3 Razer's Edge on XBO. My thoughts are that it has the best combat in the series, some of the boss fights are pretty well designed, and the locations change quite often. The bad parts are pretty generic fights with enemies, some quirky/boring boss battles, and a terrible final boss. The final boss in NG3 is one of the worst bosses in terms of fighting. Looks fantastic, but its not that great of a final boss. The 2nd to last boss was much better, but incredibly easy to read.

NG3 has great gameplay. That and a few well designed bosses, but other than that the story is not that great. It goes from being interesting to downright silly. I'm mad because you hurt my dad There were a few times I thought the boss fights were memorable, but it'll always throw you something that makes you say "ok, that was more annoying than it was challenging.

I played through NG1 and 2 multiple times, but NG3 I waited until now to finish. What's crazy is that finishing the game has a 15% of players for the achievement.

The final boss in NG3 is my least favorite bosses. There are a lot harder bosses in the game and I think they just made the final battle eye candy. Plus its so stupid. You have to
fill this long ninpo bar while fighting enemies. You can't damage the final boss until you use your ninpo. It takes a while, so you're fighting these little annoying creatures for like 5-7 minutes. You have to basically dismember/kill animation because that raises nimpo

I don't think NG3 represents the series at its prime. Its not awful, but its pieced together in an odd way. The combat is excellent though.

Last edited:

3March

Banned
I just finished Ninja Gaiden 3 Razer's Edge on XBO. My thoughts are that it has the best combat in the series, some of the boss fights are pretty well designed, and the locations change quite often. The bad parts are pretty generic fights with enemies, some quirky/boring boss battles, and a terrible final boss. The final boss in NG3 is one of the worst bosses in terms of fighting. Looks fantastic, but its not that great of a final boss. The 2nd to last boss was much better, but incredibly easy to read.

NG3 has great gameplay. That and a few well designed bosses, but other than that the story is not that great. It goes from being interesting to downright silly. I'm mad because you hurt my dad There were a few times I thought the boss fights were memorable, but it'll always throw you something that makes you say "ok, that was more annoying than it was challenging.

I played through NG1 and 2 multiple times, but NG3 I waited until now to finish. What's crazy is that finishing the game has a 15% of players for the achievement.

The final boss in NG3 is my least favorite bosses. There are a lot harder bosses in the game and I think they just made the final battle eye candy. Plus its so stupid. You have to
fill this long ninpo bar while fighting enemies. You can't damage the final boss until you use your ninpo. It takes a while, so you're fighting these little annoying creatures for like 5-7 minutes. You have to basically dismember/kill animation because that raises nimpo

I don't think NG3 represents the series at its prime. Its not awful, but its pieced together in an odd way. The combat is excellent though.
Are you talking about the BASE Ninja Gaiden 3? The one that the writeup is talking about?

It's not talking about Razor's Edge. The original NG3 is awful.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Are you talking about the BASE Ninja Gaiden 3? The one that the writeup is talking about?

It's not talking about Razor's Edge. The original NG3 is awful.

I skipped out on NG3 because it was terrible. I just finished Razer’s Edge last night, so I was planning on saying something. I realize that. I just thought too many NG3 threads would be excessive. The game itself, Vanilla or RE, is probably the low tier outside the combat.

I saw a bunch of streamers play the original version back when it came out. It looked awful. The magic and all the gameplay mechanics. I didn’t bother with the game until Razer’s Edge.

I never owned the vanilla version, but overall Razer’s Edge additions basically put a band aid on an already mediocre Ninja Gaiden game.

The original NG3 is pointless to own. If you ever get this game, get Razer’s Edge. I couldn’t imagine anything less than what it already had in it’s superior version.

Last edited:
Top Bottom