• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry?

Best Action Game Franchise?

• Ninja Gaiden

Votes: 79 45.9%
  • Devil May Cry

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • Bayonetta

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • God of War

Votes: 17 9.9%

• Total voters

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Before we get into this discussion:
-Franchise. Calm down MGR army. It’s one game and not a franchise. You too Vanquish enthusiasts.
-We are talking about fast paced combo kind of action games like the 3 franchises mentioned. Not Souls games.

—————

With that out of the way! I’ve been playing a lot of action games the last two months. Revisiting some too, and trying out ones I never played.

I can’t decide even the best game out of all the ones I’ve been privileged to play, or even dub the best franchise.

So I turn to you GAF. Which is the best? If the combat in No More Heroes 1-3 was a bit better I’d likely give it to to that but the combat is not the main reason to play that franchise.

I think for me DMC5 eeks out the DMC franchise over Ninja Gaiden although NG1-3 hold up way better than DMC1-3. DMC4&5 are where the series to me goes beyond NG.

ManaByte

Gold Member
itagaki-as-you-know-im-pro.gif

Both series have their hits and misses but peak devil may cry (i.e 1 and 3) is truly special. They ooze with atmosphere and remain interesting throughout the entire playtime.

Ninja Gaiden is a good action game but is a little stale in comparison in my opinion.

violence

This reminds me how many games I still need to play. I can’t really comment on this thread, but I really enjoyed beating Bayonetta 1 and DmC devil may cry (great presentation).

Last edited:

Gojiira

DMC without question. Ninja Gaiden has 1 truly outstanding entry with Black, but 2 and 3 dont do anything new. DMC on the other hand for better or worse iterated every single time with many new mechanics and difficulties and has at least 3 outstanding games (1-3-5).

As a *series* it's Devil May Cry and it's not even close. If we're talking about individual games within these series then things get a lot muddier. Does God of War not qualify? As a consistent trilogy of action games GoW might take the crown taking ALL factors into consideration.

Generic

Ninja Gaiden.

The enemies in Devil May Cry are HP bloated passive dummies who only exist to be combo'ed. Also the controls are annoying (forced lock-on, no dedicated dodge button...)

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
As a *series* it's Devil May Cry and it's not even close. If we're talking about individual games within these series then things get a lot muddier. Does God of War not qualify? As a consistent trilogy of action games GoW might take the crown taking ALL factors into consideration.
Fair. I should’ve added GoW.

At least the original trilogy for sure qualifies.

kiphalfton

This reminds me how many games I still need to play. I can’t really comment on this thread, but I really enjoyed beating Bayonetta 1 and DmC devil may cry (great presentation).

The enemies in Devil May Cry are HP bloated passive dummies who only exist to be combo'ed. Also the controls are annoying (forced lock-on, no dedicated dodge button...)

Shinobi and Nightshade!

Fair. I should’ve added GoW.

At least the original trilogy for sure qualifies.

No

RaduN

Dmc3 and Bayo1 are absolutely incredible games.
Perfectly created atmosphere, fantastic stories with fantastic characters, fun and witty but also surpsisingly sensitive and memorable, creative design, absolutely top tier gameplay, very well tunned difficulties with great depth and great sense of acomplishment.
Ninja Gaiden (Black) and 2 (vanilla 360) are just as amazing in almost every way, but they do lack in the story/characters department.

These 3 games are the best action games ever made though.

A person should use DmC as a beginner's/newbie's introduction to the genre, then play DMC 1, then DMC 3. This will prepare you for Ninja Gaiden 1, which will then prepare you for NG 2.

I definitely would not recommend picking up NG 1 without trying something easier first.

Before we get into this discussion:
-Franchise. Calm down MGR army. It’s one game and not a franchise. You too Vanquish enthusiasts.
-We are talking about fast paced combo kind of action games like the 3 franchises mentioned. Not Souls games.

—————

With that out of the way! I’ve been playing a lot of action games the last two months. Revisiting some too, and trying out ones I never played.

I can’t decide even the best game out of all the ones I’ve been privileged to play, or even dub the best franchise.

So I turn to you GAF. Which is the best? If the combat in No More Heroes 1-3 was a bit better I’d likely give it to to that but the combat is not the main reason to play that franchise.

I think for me DMC5 eeks out the DMC franchise over Ninja Gaiden although NG1-3 hold up way better than DMC1-3. DMC4&5 are where the series to me goes beyond NG.

Dmc3, ng 1+2, dmc5 are the top dogs

DMC3 is a true masterpiece. The difficulty balance, the depth, the feel of weapons, the puzzle elements, the music, atmosphere and story are all fantastic. To me its easily the best in the series.

NInja Gaiden II is the peak for me. Ninja Gaiden Sigma is a close second. Then Devil May Cry 3. The rest do not matter.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The meat and potatoes of these games is the combat. GOW does not belong.

As a whole package though? Combat, level design, puzzles, storytelling, writing, etc, GOW has a much stronger case.

Still voted Ninja Gaiden. Black is the single greatest action game ever. Almost flawless.

The first Bayonetta is a masterpiece, the 2 sequels are trash.
Ninja Gaiden Black is the only good one of the 3D games.
DMC 1, 3, 4 and 5 are all good to great. DMC 2 and Ninja Theory's vomit were terrible.

So while each series has the same amount of bad games, only DMC has more good games.
DMC wins by default.

It's tough to pick a franchise.

I'd argue God of War 2018 is the best overall action game. Devil May Cry 1 is also very good overall.

If the poll was only about combat mechanics, I'd choose Ninja Garden.

Top Bottom