• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Article Pulled) UK- DS sells 250k in 3 weeks, PSP 2006 800k, 360 2006 740k

ziran

ds had sold 2 million as of nov 12th, so i'd guess total sales in the uk are ~2.5 million.

psp sold ~800k last year so total sales will be ~1.6 million.

360 sold 70k at launch with ~150k sold in 2005, which would bring the total to ~900k.

so, i'd guess, as of dec 31st in the uk, the totals are around:

ds 2.5 million
psp 1.6 million
360 900k

sonycowboy said:
360 made a nice surge the last 2 months of the year.

With 150k from last year, that puts them @ 890k, which if we just translated the historical 33%, would give the 360 ~2.7M units in Europe. However, UK is reportedly particularly strong for the 360, so that might affect it somewhat.

Also, this puts a kink in my post last week (or was it this week), where the PSP was predicted as the second highest selling system in the UK with the 360 5th (by me). All signs pointed to that back in October, but clearly Gears of War and the bundling had a pretty significant impact.

It will be interested to see where the PS2 ends for the year.

Even so, Sony's much maligned handheld still managed to shift over 800,000 units in 2006. That's 50,000 more than the 740,000 Xbox 360s sold last year

So... over 800,000 units is 50,000 more than 740,000 units...?

Btw. PSP HW sales in the UK are basically the same as 2005, so although PSP is not exactly "dead" (which atleast for the UK is known) it's not selling too hot either. Total 2005 HW sales in Europe (including UK) were sth. like 2.5 million so if that would be more or less the same in 2006 it wouldn't be that impressive (especially considering that DS/DSL sold sth. like 6 million).

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Frankfurter said:
PSP HW sales in the UK are basically the same as 2005, so although PSP is not exactly "dead" (which atleast for the UK is known) it's not selling too hot either.

PSP and X360 seem to be much stronger in the UK than other European markets. Despite that, PSP software is still not selling that well even in the UK. It seems to be a situation rather similar to Japan - hardware sales are OK but software sales are poor - but we'll have to wait for official figures regarding software sales.

klee123

jarrod said:
And 360 outsold the PS2... in her majesty the Queen's Sony Land... holishitx2!

What?

Where does it say that the 360 outsold the PS2? It's certainly not in the article.

TTP said:
I really wonder what would happen if the PSP system and its games drop in price a bit.

It blows my mind that it's not like $150. I think that would increase sales dramatically. I don't even think it cost more to make then the PS2.

Fio

sonycowboy said:
360 made a nice surge the last 2 months of the year.

With 150k from last year, that puts them @ 890k, which if we just translated the historical 33%, would give the 360 ~2.7M units in Europe. However, UK is reportedly particularly strong for the 360, so that might affect it somewhat.

Look at this: http://www.jeux-france.com/news18555_300000-unites-de-la-xbox-360-en-france.html

France is the second most important market of X360 in Europe, and only represent 20% of Xbox360 euro market, with 300k consoles sold until a week before xmas. If France with 300k (or ~ 330k, including the xmas week) represent 20%, UK with 900k represents nearly 60%, with this is legit say that X360 hardly surpass 2 million on Europe.

I think this proves again that the data we got here was fake.

PS2 seems to be doing seriously bad, its worst year on UK was 1.3m (because of christmas 2004 shortages). I think PS2 could have hit the ceiling already (near 9m).

GhaleonEB

Fio Maravilha said:
Look at this: http://www.jeux-france.com/news18555_300000-unites-de-la-xbox-360-en-france.html

France is the second most important market of X360 in Europe, and only represent 20% of Xbox360 euro market, with 300k consoles sold until a week before xmas. If France with 300k (or ~ 330k, including the xmas week) represent 20%, UK with 900k represents nearly 60%, with this is legit say that X360 hardly surpass 2 million on Europe.
Where did you fink the UK represents 60%? The article you linked to says NA represents 60% of the 360 market, with Europe counting for 30%. Of that 30% in Europe, France is 20%. It's also worth pointing out that the article linked is from early December and is probably referencing through November with the 300k sold; it also says the goal is 500k by the end of the year. If they hit 500k, then with France being 20% of the Europe market, that puts 360 sales at 2.5m there.

If the generalization holds through that 2.5m is 30% of the market at the end of the year, then that extrapolates to 8.33m sold WW, BTW. Of course, that's based on projected sales in one market and extrapolated twice (France = 20% of Europe = 30% of WW), so it's probably not that accurate. It does put sales in the ballpark they need to be to have shipped 10m, though.

MrSardonic

GhaleonEB said:
Where did you fink the UK represents 60%?

Using the simple ability to deduce that if 300k = 20%, then 900k = ~60% of the European sales.

GhaleonEB said:
probably referencing through November with the 300k sold; it also says the goal is 500k by the end of the year. If they hit 500k

X360 is not going to have sold 200k in France in December even if the 300k figure was only up to the beginning of December.

X360 has probably sold just under 2m in the EU.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Chris Remo said:
Sony's reluctance to drop PSP's price (other than by adjusting the bundle contents) makes me very curious how long they're going to stick with PS3's price. Presumably they know what they're doing with PSP pricing and don't feel the situation warrants a broader price cut at this time, but it does make me curious.

Chris it makes me worried. I think it's possible that we will see a $300 20GB 360 before we see a $500 60 GB PS3.

:(

mckmas8808 said:
Chris it makes me worried. I think it's possible that we will see a $300 20GB 360 before we see a $500 60 GB PS3.

I wouldn't be surprised if a situation proportionally similar to that occurred in Europe.

Fio

@ GhaleonEB
MrSadonic already replied your questions.

Then, with this figures I think it's improbable X360 broken the 2M mark.
The anti-violence law probably is hurting the X360 on Germany. Maybe this is the bigger problem of X360 on Europe.

donny2112

mckmas8808 said:
I think it's possible that we will see a $300 20GB 360 before we see a $500 60 GB PS3.

How is it not possible?

Microsoft has been doing everything they can to drop the price this holiday without actually dropping the price. That just means that they'll really drop the price this year. Sony is losing lots of money on every system, so there's no way they would drop their price before their competitors. Put those two together and you're looking at seeing a cheaper 360 before you see a cheaper PS3.

theBishop

Banned
mckmas8808 said:

The one glimmer of hope is that PS3 is about $70 cheaper in Japan.

donny2112 said:
How is it not possible?

Microsoft has been doing everything they can to drop the price this holiday without actually dropping the price. That just means that they'll really drop the price this year. Sony is losing lots of money on every system, so there's no way they would drop their price before their competitors. Put those two together and you're looking at seeing a cheaper 360 before you see a cheaper PS3.

I don't think it's quite so clear.

The PS3 is already quite available 7 weeks after launch. While we don't know about supply yet, I can't imagine that that was the plan on Sony's part

I also can't believe that Sony believed the $600/$500 price points were going to last that long. They probably thought it might make it to late spring, but I don't think that will be the case. IMO, they're like going to have to drop the price.

Also, the PSP is selling quite well if you don't compare it to the DS, so it's not a great comparison. I also feel as if Sony has recognized that the PSP isn't a criticially strategic system for them anymore. It's die is cast, it's profitable, and they've got the experience. It's not going to beat the DS or come close and developers seems content to do what they've been doing on it, and I don't see any catalysts for that to change.

At the very least, I'd expect the PS3 to drop when the 360 does.

Haunted

Fio Maravilha said:
The anti-violence law probably is hurting the X360 on Germany. Maybe this is the bigger problem of X360 on Europe.
That's bullshit, there's no anti-violence law concerning video games here. (only the usual ratings insanity ;) )

360 is doing ok here, it's breaking no records but sells at a steady pace. A much bigger factor in the equation is that both the DS (Brain Training, Pokemon, NSMB) and the PS2 ( the usual EA suspects + Singstar and Buzz) are still dominating software and hardware sales (even disregarding the Wii's potential). And with a HD penetration rate as low as 10% (as of mid-2006) in Germany, HD-gaming is simply not mainstream here (yet?).

bycha

sonycowboy said:
I don't think it's quite so clear.

The PS3 is already quite available 7 weeks after launch. While we don't know about supply yet, I can't imagine that that was the plan on Sony's part

I also can't believe that Sony believed the $600/$500 price points were going to last that long. They probably thought it might make it to late spring, but I don't think that will be the case. IMO, they're like going to have to drop the price.

Also, the PSP is selling quite well if you don't compare it to the DS, so it's not a great comparison. I also feel as if Sony has recognized that the PSP isn't a criticially strategic system for them anymore. It's die is cast, it's profitable, and they've got the experience. It's not going to beat the DS or come close and developers seems content to do what they've been doing on it, and I don't see any catalysts for that to change.

At the very least, I'd expect the PS3 to drop when the 360 does.

No successful game console ever dropped price under 12 month. And PS3 pushed 1 М in US just in 2 month with just Resistance so they are in pretty good shape. 10% of their customers don't really care about the price.

bycha said:
No successful game console ever dropped price under 12 month. And PS3 pushed 1 М in US just in 2 month with just Resistance so they are in pretty good shape. 10% of their customers don't really care about the price.

DS did. And I would say it's pretty successful.

bycha said:

No successful system ever launched at $499/$599
No system was successful 3 generations in a row (Well, I suppose GB, GBA, & DS)

And, the PSOne dropped after 8 months in both Japan and US (US $299->$199), but I guess that might not count as successful

bycha

DS basically had 2 launches. DS and DSL. Only DSL ignited sales. So price cut was reaction to laggin sales of ds phat. It's pretty easy to make redesign in handheld space and results are obvious instantly. In console space redesign is not significant for 1st several years.

PS3 is successful already. Just 3-4 M in each region 1st year is in the bag.

Arsenal

So we don't know what the PS2 sales were at all?

How do the 360 sales compare to the original xbox sales? Is it picking up any extra traction there?

Ikael

DS basically had 2 launches. DS and DSL. Only DSL ignited sales.

The sales of the DS started to get ignited before due to the launch of Nintendogs. It wasn't just a matter of price, content, as always, is king.

Deku

Banned
theBishop said:
... and yet simultaneously outselling Xbox360? Jesus, sales news is such editorial bullshit.

"Not quite dead yet" is what people said about Gamecube in the months before Twilight Princess was "released". Maybe we should define "dead".

Parts of GAF I believe coined the term Sonyland based entirely on PS2 sales. There were never strong demographic data to suggest this fact.

Sales data are not editorial BS, they are the most common measure for success that people can at least grudgingly agree on (although some do prefer we don't agree on anything at all).

I've always thought giving Sony the market leader status for both the PSP and PS3 (Sonyland) in Europe by default was always a little cocky, and the North American centric attitude of these forums hasn't helped either. Both Japan and Europe are treated as abstract places on a game of Risk to be won and lost on the whim of the armchair analyts.

Mrbob

bycha said:
DS basically had 2 launches. DS and DSL. Only DSL ignited sales. So price cut was reaction to laggin sales of ds phat. It's pretty easy to make redesign in handheld space and results are obvious instantly. In console space redesign is not significant for 1st several years.

PS3 is successful already. Just 3-4 M in each region 1st year is in the bag.

Not at its current pricepoint.

theBishop

Banned
Deku said:
Parts of GAF I believe coined the term Sonyland based entirely on PS2 sales. There were never strong demographic data to suggest this fact.

Sales data are not editorial BS, they are the most common measure for success that people can at least grudgingly agree on (although some do prefer we don't agree on anything at all).

I've always thought giving Sony the market leader status for both the PSP and PS3 (Sonyland) in Europe by default was always a little cocky, and the North American centric attitude of these forums hasn't helped either. Both Japan and Europe are treatest as abstract places on a game of Risk to be won and lost on the whim of the armchair analyts.

Obviously, its not the numbers i'm taking issue with. Its the editorializing associated with the numbers.

If PSP is "not quite dead and buried" while simultaneously outselling Xbox360, then it stands to reason that Xbox360 is in a state worse than that.

Obviously Xbox360 is not dead, nor will it be anytime soon. So this type of statement is complete nonsense. Except it isn't derided as nonsense, its chewed up by Nintendo fanboys salivating over the prospect of Nintendo reclaiming their former throne at the top of the video game industry.

bycha

bycha said:
No successful game console ever dropped price under 12 month.

I might rephrase that.

No iteration of successful console dropped price under 12 month.

PS isn't comparable to 21st century. In 21st century you no longer can't have 10 month difference between launches in different territories.

ziran

sonycowboy said:
Also, the PSP is selling quite well if you don't compare it to the DS, so it's not a great comparison.
i think psp is selling okay, but compared to last year, making allowances for the launch, per month sales are lower than i'd expect. this must be of concern to sony, especially since they missed their recent 1 million sold in the uk target by 200k.

ytd sales, (ds launched march, psp launched september):

ds:
2005 (9.5 months) ~1 million, ~105k per month
2006 (12 months) ~1.5 million, ~125k per month

psp:
2005 (4 months) ~800k, ~200k per month
2006 (12 months) ~800k, ~66k per month

bycha

Ikael said:
The sales of the DS started to get ignited before due to the launch of Nintendogs. It wasn't just a matter of price, content, as always, is king.

In japan only.

DSL launch till december in US = DS phat in 1.5 years since launch.

Mrbob said:
Not at its current pricepoint.

If you can do 1M without significant software in launch window than with titles like MGS4 3-4M in a year is doable without single doubt.

bycha

PS isn't comparable to 21st century. In 21st century you no longer can have 10 month difference between launches in different territories.

lack of edit option is irritating.

C4Lukins

Arsenal said:
So we don't know what the PS2 sales were at all?

How do the 360 sales compare to the original xbox sales? Is it picking up any extra traction there?

I read that the original XBOX sold around 2 million in the UK, so they are at roughly half of that with the 360 after only a year. I have no source, and that number could be complete BS, but someone posted that somewhere.

TTP said:
Honestly, I dont think they are too worried about the PSP sales. I mean, selling less than a money printer machine doesn't mean selling "bad". The PSP vs DS situation is definetly not similar to the GG/Lynx vs GameBoy one. Heck, it's selling more than Xbox 360s, they must be making some nice money out of it.

At it's peak in 1992 or so, Game Gear to Game Boy sales ratios were similar to PSP and DS.Then Sega thought it'd be a good idea to use Nomad to streamline Genesis and handheld development.

And once again, software sales are the issue with PSP, not hardware sales. 360 doesn't have this problem.

bycha said:

source plz

MrSardonic

theBishop said:
If PSP is "not quite dead and buried" while simultaneously outselling Xbox360, then it stands to reason that Xbox360 is in a state worse than that.

look at the software sales.

theBishop said:
So this type of statement is complete nonsense. Except it isn't derided as nonsense, its chewed up by Nintendo fanboys salivating over the prospect of Nintendo reclaiming their former throne at the top of the video game industry.

Nintendo have always been market leader in the handheld sector. Obviously noone (internet poster, console fanboy, analyst) who isn't an idiot is going to claim PSP is nearly dead simple because of the hardware sales figures for 2006 (which are down on 2005 in every territory, iirc), but because the software situation is so poor.

bycha said:
And PS3 pushed 1 М in US just in 2 month

No.

dalyr95

Well now that shops are doing deals on PSP games (2 for £30, got Metal Gear Acid for £12) I'm actually picking them up now, but the DS has positioned itself really well as a portable system at an affordable price, i don't mind paying<£30 for a portable game, but fill price PSP games (£40) seem abit much for me.
Also all of my PSP games except for Lumines are long drawn out story driven games which doesn't lend itself well to quick goes on the tube.

Also did MS reach their 10 million sold target?

theBishop said:
Obviously Xbox360 is not dead, nor will it be anytime soon. So this type of statement is complete nonsense. Except it isn't derided as nonsense, its chewed up by Nintendo fanboys salivating over the prospect of Nintendo reclaiming their former throne at the top of the video game industry.

So just how well is the 360 "supposed" to be performing then?

deftangel

took a programming course
dalyr95 said:
Also all of my PSP games except for Lumines are long drawn out story driven games which doesn't lend itself well to quick goes on the tube.

Nail hit on head I think there.

C4Lukins said:
I read that the original XBOX sold around 2 million in the UK, so they are at roughly half of that with the 360 after only a year. I have no source, and that number could be complete BS, but someone posted that somewhere.
Xbox sold 0.56m in 2002 and 0.62m in 2003 (1.18m in 2 years, LTD 2.14m).

Xbox360 sold 0.15m in 2005 and 0.74m (according to this) in 2006 (LTD 0.89m).

I dunno how much time was Xbox available in 2002 (aka when it launched), X360 was just a month though.

hadareud

The Translator
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I dunno how much time was Xbox available in 2002 (aka when it launched), X360 was just a month though.
I think it came out in March, so basically 12 vs. 21 or so months.

Top Bottom