• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer |OT| iOS Deck Building

gAZlB.jpg

This is the official iOS version of the deck building game Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer.

vJqUb.jpg

http://www.incineratorstudios.com said:
Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer, is the first officially licensed deck building card game for iOS. Play alone or with friends to battle against the Fallen One for honor and victory. Conceived and designed by three Magic: The Gathering tournament players, Ascension will provide hours of engaging and strategic game play for enthusiast and experienced gamers alike.

For millennia, the world of Vigil has been isolated and protected from other realms. Now, the barrier between dimensions is failing, and Samael, the Fallen God, has returned with his army of Monsters from the beyond! You are one of the few warriors capable of facing this threat and defending your world, but you cannot do it alone! You must summon powerful Heroes and Constructs to aid you in your battles. The player who gains the most Honor Points will lead his army to defeat the Fallen One and earn the title of Godslayer!

FEATURES

-Full asynchronous support for multiplayer online games
-Play against multiple A.I. opponents using varied strategies
-Play against others with “pass and play” multiplayer
-Introductory tutorial to teach you how to play
-Enhanced visual optimization for iPhone 4 and iPad using high resolution graphics designed for the retina display
-Maintain and save multiple games

HIGHLIGHTS

-Recruit Heroes and Constructs to bolster your deck
-Defeat Monsters for Honor and rewards
-Automatic cleanup, shuffling and scoring
-Universal App – play Ascension on iPhone 3Gs, iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2, iPod Touch 2, iPod Touch 3, or iPod Touch 4 for a single low price
-1st officially licensed deck building game for iPhone and iPad
-Over 50 beautifully detailed cards, hand drawn by Eric Sabee
This is based on the boardgame with the same name and is the first deck-building genre game (Dominion, Thunderstone, Nightfall, etc.) to hit iOS devices. The main premise of the game is to build your deck throughout the course of the game in order to defeat monsters for points and to outscore your opponents.

For more info on how to play: http://youtu.be/lYq8pCsx9u8

Full Version ($4.99):
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ascension-chronicle-godslayer/id441838733?mt=8

************INTRODUCING************
dTcezl.jpg

Ascension: Return of the Fallen is the first in-app expansion for the popular deck building iOS game Ascension: Chronicle of the Godlsayer. Conceived and designed by three Magic: The Gathering tournament champions, Ascension: Return of the Fallen introduces new game mechanics, and can be played as either a stand-alone game or played as an expansion for Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer.

Ascension: Return of the Fallen requires the Golden Geek Award winning Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer

Ascension: Return of the Fallen is quick to learn and easy to play. Game play revolves around a Center Deck containing Heroes, Constructs and Monsters; and players take turns recruiting Heroes or Constructs for their decks or defeating Monsters to earn honor and ultimate victory. New cards are revealed every turn, forcing players to react and ensuring that each game is dynamic and unique.

Continuing the epic struggle which began in Chronicle of the Godslayer, Vigil is threatened again as Samael the Fallen God has returned in his true form, intent on obliterating your world. Will you be able to overcome monstrous obstacles and assemble a mighty army to end Samael’s reign once and for all?

HIGHLIGHTS

New Fate Mechanic
New Faction cards
Defeat Monsters for Honor and rewards
Automatic cleanup, shuffling and scoring
Universal App – play Ascension on iPhone 3Gs, iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2, iPod Touch 3, or iPod Touch 4 for a single low price
Over 120 beautifully detailed cards / 65 Center Deck cards if played as an Expansion
FEATURES

Play as a complete stand alone game
Play as an expansion for Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer
Full asynchronous support for multiplayer online games
Play against multiple A.I. opponents using varied strategies
Play live against others with “pass and play” multiplayer
Enhanced visual optimization for iPhone 4 and iPad using high resolution graphics designed for the retina display
Maintain and save multiple games

Revenge of the Fallen is available only as a $.99 in app purchase.

If you'd like to add your name to the list, reply to the topic and follow the format below:

GAF | Game Center
kryptikjoker | kryptikjoker
deim0s | deim0s_
Kosh | Kosh One
Awesome Animals | Awesome Animals
Des0lar | DarudinZvierg
Chorazin | Chorazin
Phreaker | Phreaker
eznark | eznark
JLateralus | JLateralus
jessecuster | jessecuster3
pulga | arodsalgado
Kaidfather | Kaidfather
AstroLad | AstroLad
Darb | RealDarb
brohuffman | oldmanhuffman
soldat7 | soldat7
Horseticuffs | splitdog79
Flunkie | Flunkie44
galvatron | doc wily
Keasar | Keasar
Berksy | BERKADAM
BigNastyCurve | ChewyWaffles
Str0ngStyle| Str0ngStyle
J0dy77 | ars2x
kennah | kenchuk
jon bones | bonbons
Jswanko | Jswanko
no angel | urbanpanda
ultron87 | ultron87
Gatekeeper | Z3R0_5UM
bigdaddygamebot | bigdaddygamebot
hiryu | flyingrhin0
JPBrowncoat | BamSaidTheLady
raiot | raiod
teebs33 | Teebs33
Zeth | ZethGAF
Soktos | Soktos
Therealbeatris | therealbeatris
Wrekt | timmykorte

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
You know, I've tried that one other card game on iOS (Shadow Era ?), and I honestly didn't think I was smart enough to understand the gameplay or something.

I've got a really crappy internet connection at home (satellite), which means that if I'm to do any multiplayer gaming whatsoever it has to be asynchronous since at the best of times my latency is around 4-5 seconds while gaming. I don't actually have wifi at home quite yet, but I'm collecting asynchronous games since I'm buying a wireless router soon.

I hear so many people raving about these card games, and given their asynchronous nature, I thought I should give them an honest effort to learn one.

Well, I tried the lite version and went through the tutorial and I think I'm getting the hang of it. I can honestly say that if you're like me and are sort of scared to approach these types of games than you should try this one, as the tutorial is very good and informative.

I'm honestly considering ponying up for the full version, but I'm going to stick with the lite version and play around with it a bit longer. It seems to have a nice bit of depth to it.

Kosh

I am here, loving this game.

GC: Kosh One

I take my turns sporadically during the day, also. For some reason, the game only gives me push notifications to my iPad. I have to check my iPhone for game updates whenever I remember/get a chance during the work day.

add me

Awesome Animals - Awesome Animals

:) Already in a few games with GAFfers, just lost a close match too. Since it is asynchronous, I will be playing sproadically throughout the day, getting a turn in here or there. I hope no one minds!

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Awesome Animals said:
add me

Awesome Animals - Awesome Animals

:) Already in a few games with GAFfers, just lost a close match too. Since it is asynchronous, I will be playing sproadically throughout the day, getting a turn in here or there. I hope no one minds!
That was against me! :D i thought I had lost for sure because my "white" income was so low the whole game through, and there had been so few monsters in the middle.

Gaffers add me, game is great but i hope they add additional cards soon.

GC: DarudinZvierg

Des0lar said:
That was against me! :D i thought I had lost for sure because my "white" income was so low the whole game through, and there had been so few monsters in the middle.

Gaffers add me, game is great but i hope they add additional cards soon.

GC: DarudinZvierg

I know, there were no monsters. I know I banished a few so you couldn't get the points though. There are a few cards that I don't understand the advantage of either. Specifically some of the Mechana Constructs.

Chorazin

Horseticuffs said:
You know, I've tried that one other card game on iOS (Shadow Era ?), and I honestly didn't think I was smart enough to understand the gameplay or something.

For any futher readers of this thread: ASCENSION IS NOTHING LIKE SHADOW ERA.

Shadow Era is a Magic: the Gathering-esque CCG where you need to buy packs of cards and decks to play the same. Ascension has all the cards in the full, retail Ascension physical product, which is to say it has all the cards you need. Everyone plays from the same deck, no one builds and brings a deck to play with.

That being said, I hope they add the Promo cards and the expansion, Return of the Fallen, sooner rather than later!

EDIT: Oh, and my GameCenter is Chorazin if anyone wants to play. I'm slow to respond during the day since I'm at work.

Chorazin said:
For any futher readers of this thread: ASCENSION IS NOTHING LIKE SHADOW ERA.

Shadow Era is a Magic: the Gathering-esque CCG where you need to buy packs of cards and decks to play the same. Ascension has all the cards in the full, retail Ascension physical product, which is to say it has all the cards you need. Everyone plays from the same deck, no one builds and brings a deck to play with.

That being said, I hope they add the Promo cards and the expansion, Return of the Fallen, sooner rather than later!

What worries me about a Magic the Gathering iOS game would be requiring micro transactions to purchase booster packs. I'm not saying that it is a wrong way to have the game be played, but rather I'd hope for something along the lines of the Yu-Gi-Oh gameboy games I played when I was younger where you are awarded tokens and such to buy new packs. IDK, maybe they could incorporate both styles.

Phreaker

Me - I'm a newb though. Never played it IRL, just a dozen or so games on the iOS version since release. I also have Shadow Era...

Phreaker | Phreaker

Chorazin

Awesome Animals said:
What worries me about a Magic the Gathering iOS game would be requiring micro transactions to purchase booster packs. I'm not saying that it is a wrong way to have the game be played, but rather I'd hope for something along the lines of the Yu-Gi-Oh gameboy games I played when I was younger where you are awarded tokens and such to buy new packs. IDK, maybe they could incorporate both styles.

They require you to buy cards and pack in Magic: the Gathering Online, so of course they would make you pay in an iOS version. I don't like it either, but they most certainly will give you as little as possible for free.

I picked this up but haven't had the chance to play yet - will be hopping on tonight!

GC: JLateralus

Or according to the OP:

JLateralus | JLateralus

Chorazin said:
They require you to buy cards and pack in Magic: the Gathering Online, so of course they would make you pay in an iOS version. I don't like it either, but they most certainly will give you as little as possible for free.

I figured as much, I mean, I don't have a huge problem with it because it is a more logical microtransaction that most, but without the physicalness of the cards, it seems odd. If I had to choose, I would certainly pick to play with actual cards than online. Although I haven't played Magic since the 90s.

eznark

Banned
Chorazin said:

I've never played Magic, but buying cards to stay competitive seems absurd. I didn't think they did that in the recent PC/console games?

Chorazin

eznark said:
I've never played Magic, but buying cards to stay competitive seems absurd. I didn't think they did that in the recent PC/console games?

They sell new decks via DLC in the Planeswalker games you're thinking of, but Magic: the Gathering Online is pretty much the exact Magic experience, down to having to buy and trade cards.

Lombax

Banned
good on them for putting this out on iOS. I picked up the boxed game a while back. Its an interesting game, but there is some jank to it.

I still need to finish the tutorial, and I still wish this was Dominion, but I would like to play:

GAF | Game Center

pulga

Banned
Woo finally! Added a whole bunch of ya.
GC is: arodsalgado

Pretty much available for the next 6 hours.

Maybe when there's enough of us, we could get some kinda tournament going on. Elimination brackets leading to a final. Winners are verified through screenshots.

jessecuster said:
I still need to finish the tutorial, and I still wish this was Dominion, but I would like to play:

GAF | Game Center

Awesome fucking username.

Lombax

Banned
Chorazin said:

so there is this strange thing that happens when you play larger 4 player games. as you start to see what theme your opponents are going for you feel compelled to start sniping good cards from them so they dont end up in their deck. So sometimes you are playing this odd strategy of building a deck as a reaction to what your opponent is picking, but not in a "I can counter this with X" kind of way rather its a "oh hell no you are not building an all green deck." kind of thing.
The games I have played devolve into screwing with the other players so they cant have a "green" deck, and then killing monsters with the "collection" you have.

I haven't even gotten close to generating any sort of strategy like that. I don't really know what I'm doing beyond trying to extend my turns as long as possible and accumulate as much honor as possible.

eznark

Banned
Lombax said:
so there is this strange thing that happens when you play larger 4 player games. as you start to see what theme your opponents are going for you feel compelled to start sniping good cards from them so they dont end up in their deck. So sometimes you are playing this odd strategy of building a deck as a reaction to what your opponent is picking, but not in a "I can counter this with X" kind of way rather its a "oh hell no you are not building an all green deck." kind of thing.
The games I have played devolve into screwing with the other players so they cant have a "green" deck, and then killing monsters with the "collection" you have.

So, you consider interesting strategies to be "jank?" Do you also think Ticket to Ride is janky because people can block routes?

Chorazin

Lombax said:

I don't think that's "jank" at all, that's a core part of the game. IMO, you're trying to make your turn as awesome as possible AND make your oppoent have the worst possible turn. Most cards will work in every deck theme, so denial is an important part.

The guys who made the same were Magic pros, they know all about deck denial when drafting, which is a lot of what Ascension is at it's core.

Lombax

Banned
sorry "jank" was a poor choice of words. Something just feels off with the way the games plays when compared to Thunderstone or Dominion.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Wait, I need to spend weeks re-learning cards' powers? All the years spent with Magic as a kid (iirc started playing with the so called "beta" and my last expansion was the one after the "Urza" es).

So yeah, how difficult it is to re-learn all of this stuff? :(

edit: WTFUUUUU, I just learned a couple of things and I'm salivating, if Wikipedia is not bullshitting me then I think I can pay for a sweet summer holiday selling my mint Black Lotus card (also have a red Mox, two Icy Manipulator and loads of "Legends" but
I don't know if they're still valuable... I paid 220k Italian Lire (€100) in '98 for my Black Lotus and it seems now it's easily worth 10x that for a mint one like mine :O) sucks I don't know where the hell should I look to make it fetch those ridiculous prices :/)
Edit2: wait, my Black Lotus is Beta, not Alpha, probably isn't worth shit in comparisons to the ones they're quoting on wikipedia :(

I'm still new to the GAF community but would love to have some more people to play this game with.

Kaidfather is my Gamecenter ID.

eznark

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
Wait, I need to spend weeks re-learning cards' powers? All the years spent with Magic as a kid (iirc started playing with the so called "beta" and my last expansion was the one after the "Urza" es).

edit: WTFUUUUU, I just learned a couple of things and I'm salivating, if Wikipedia is not bullshitting me then I think I can pay for a sweet summer holiday selling my mint Black Lotus card (also have a red Mox, two Icy Manipulator and loads of "Legends" but
I don't know if they're still valuable... I paid 220k Italian Lire (€100) in '98 for my Black Lotus and it seems now it's easily worth 10x that for a mint one like mine :O) sucks I don't know where the hell should I look to make it fetch those ridiculous prices :/)
Edit2: wait, my Black Lotus is Beta, not Alpha, probably isn't worth shit in comparisons to the ones they're quoting on wikipedia :(

What the fuck are you rambling about?

Dennis

Banned
Dash Kappei said:

I don't understand.

Yeef

I actually played Ascension for the first time last week (the physical game). It's a good game with interesting cards, I just wish it had more of them. While it shares the decbuilding mechanic with Dominion, it's a very different game. Killing monsters isn't really the best way to get points. Constructs seem to be the best method for scoring, with a lot of them having a 1:1 ratio of points to cost. Some of the lifebound cards also let you get points just by playing them, which can add up pretty quickly. I recall the Yggdrasil Staff being particularly good at getting points quickly.

I'd really love to see a polished release of Dominion on Steam or some other service. it's easily my favorite card game, but other than my board gaming group I rarely get to play it.

Chorazin

Yeef said:
I actually played Ascension for the first time last week (the physical game). It's a good game with interesting cards, I just wish it had more of them.

The newly released expansion to Ascension adds a lot more interesting cards, it feels much more complete when the two are combined. Especially when you add in the myriad of wicked promo cards that are out there. The Rat King is CRAZY!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Reading up on the ruleset now, it actually seems like a nice change of pace from the vast majority of TCG's that seem to run with "we're going to try and be like Magic but not understand why that game is balanced the way it is"

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Yeef said:
I actually played Ascension for the first time last week (the physical game). It's a good game with interesting cards, I just wish it had more of them. While it shares the decbuilding mechanic with Dominion, it's a very different game. Killing monsters isn't really the best way to get points. Constructs seem to be the best method for scoring, with a lot of them having a 1:1 ratio of points to cost. Some of the lifebound cards also let you get points just by playing them, which can add up pretty quickly. I recall the Yggdrasil Staff being particularly good at getting points quickly.

I'd really love to see a polished release of Dominion on Steam or some other service. it's easily my favorite card game, but other than my board gaming group I rarely get to play it.

Battle of Gundabad is Dominion on the iPhone. They just changed the names of all the cards, but it's the exact same game as base Dominion.

Not that good looking, and no multiplayer.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Dash Kappei said:

Wrong thread dude. This isn't Magic: the Gathering. But the official Magic thread is right here. Join us!

Yeef

Chorazin said:
The newly released expansion to Ascension adds a lot more interesting cards, it feels much more complete when the two are combined. Especially when you add in the myriad of wicked promo cards that are out there. The Rat King is CRAZY!
Sounds good. I'll have to let my buddy know to pick it up for the next time we play.

FlyinJ said:
Battle of Gundabad is Dominion on the iPhone. They just changed the names of all the cards, but it's the exact same game as base Dominion.

Not that good looking, and no multiplayer.
Well, the good-looking and multiplayer are the main aspects I'm looking for :p

The isotropic client is decent, but without a slick presentation and tutorials it's pretty difficult to get people who've never played Dominion into it.

Darb

Neo Member
I've been enjoying the Lite version. The 1v1 orange AI is getting a little too easy. I plan on upgrading tonight.

Gaf: Darb | GC: RealDarb

FlyinJ said:
Are there supposed to be only two levels for the AI in the game?
A new expansion for the physical game came out. I'd wager that the higher AI setting may be included in the expansion pack in app purchase.

Horseticuffs

Well, I picked up the full game due to the lite version being so good. I can't wait to get Wifi at the house so I can get in on the shenanigans. Will play at work 'till then.

I'm really enjoying it so far, I hope they add more cards in the future though.

GC= splitdog79

Chorazin

Horseticuffs said:
Well, I picked up the full game due to the lite version being so good. I can't wait to get Wifi at the house so I can get in on the shenanigans. Will play at work 'till then.

I'm really enjoying it so far, I hope they add more cards in the future though.

GC= splitdog79

I guess you're playing on a Touch? Because it works great on 3G.

Horseticuffs

Chorazin said:
I guess you're playing on a Touch? Because it works great on 3G.
Yep, playing on a 4g Touch. Playing a match right now, as a matter of fact.

So far the multiplayer has been very smooth and bug free.

Top Bottom