• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ashley Madison infidelity site's customer data stolen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alavard

Not even the same thing. But yeah that's the risk you're taking. Though not in the context of "reaping what you sow".

Please explain how it's not the same thing. In both cases you're creating an account on an optional internet service that may have financial information. In fact, may people have purchase histories they wouldn't want made public as well. In both cases users have a right to the privacy of their data. In both cases, exploiting their systems and taking their data without authorization is illegal.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
So it's okay for someone to pay to cheat instead of getting a divorce or breaking up with said person, but we should care about heir personal information as a result? Hells no.

Sounds like karma to me. This isn't identity theft for buying stuff on Amazon. This is compromising millions who clearly couldn't compromise in their shitty relationships to be honest.

i dont think its beholden on anyone to judge them for their life choices unless you are personally involved.

if i picked through your life and said "i detest these things about you, now you deserve to have your personal information compromised" does that seem fair at all?

you can say it might be karma, but i do think we should "care"

Not even the same thing.

Regardless though yeah that's the risk you're taking. Though not in the context of "reaping what you sow".

supporting large corporations kills small business and promotes lobbying in the United States which promotes decreased worker's rights and the propagation of an oligarchy.

that is totally reaping what you sow.

Terrible things become justifiable if you feel that it's striking out at people who have hurt your feelings. While the mentality itself isn't anything surprising or unusual, the amount of people who hold it, on GAF no less, is.

Opto

Banned
Divorce isn't as easy as "let's break up," so I don't know why any of you think someone should not have any fun before a divorce gets finalized.

Bold One

So you find it hilarious that personal lives are being ruined? Should probably go see a psychiatrist about that.
They ruined their own lives and I have the right to laugh at cheaters getting theirs

Go see a psychiatrist for the mental gymnastics you and your ilk are employing to mask the deceit of others

Cheaters never prosper

Nerokis

MoralGAF is utterly repulsive sometimes. Cheering on something that might destroy lives and families by being dragged out into the open? What's wrong with you?

Cheating is a personal choice and not one that is borne of circumstances that you'll always be able to comprehend or understand. (And I say this as someone who this has happened to in the past.) It's not always as black and white as someone just looking for sex outside their relationship. Shaming people for making that choice is misguided at best, as their personal lives have absolutely nothing to do with you or your fear of the same thing eventually happening to you. It's none of your business.

Well said. It's shameful that people are celebrating this. A privacy breach like this one surely has to pass a high threshold to be justified, and "signed up to a cheating website" doesn't even come close.

They ruined their own lives and have the right to see cheaters get theirs

Go see a psychiatrist for the mental gymnastics you and your ilk are employing to mask the deceit of others

Chesters never prosper

I guess I'm awful for finding the show Cheaters hilarious according to that guy :D

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Well said. It's shameful that people are celebrating this. A privacy breach like this one surely has to pass a high threshold to be justified, and "signed up to a cheating website" doesn't even come close.

people were happy that the federal government got hacked too, so its not surprising in the end.

it just doesn't matter until it affects you. the truth is it has affected everyone and everyone's information is basically already compromised at this point.

MoralGAF is utterly repulsive sometimes. Cheering on something that might destroy lives and families by being dragged out into the open? What's wrong with you?

Cheating is a personal choice and not one that is borne of circumstances that you'll always be able to comprehend or understand. (And I say this as someone who this has happened to in the past.) It's not always as black and white as someone just looking for sex outside their relationship. Shaming people for making that choice is misguided at best, as their personal lives have absolutely nothing to do with you or your fear of the same thing eventually happening to you. It's none of your business.

To a lot of people, cheating is an asshole's choice.

You tried to fluff it up and sugarcoat it with vagueness and no examples of why it may not be a horrible thing.

Please explain how it's not the same thing. In both cases you're creating an account on an optional internet service that may have financial information. In fact, may people have purchase histories they wouldn't want made public as well. In both cases users have a right to the privacy of their data. In both cases, exploiting their systems and taking their data without authorization is illegal.

Its still not the same thing. Plus you're arguing rather or not its illegal. When the answer to that question is of course its illegal. Regardless of that though, you are still putting you're self at risk in either case., but in the case of AM, you are really putting your self at risk and in the cross hairs of Justice Crusaders that want to expose that data rather its legal or illegal. Because they see it as judgement.

Now do i fully agree with the methods? not really. But do i feel bad for those people at all? no and why should i? especially for people that are willing to go on the internet and put their information on a site about wanting to cheat. Which is already seen as disgraceful and in most cases short sighted and a unforgivable act to lots of people (including me), meaning its not innocent. Where as the amazon user is not trying to do that but instead is purchasing an item or items...etc which is a innocent act that in itself. So of course i'm going to be mad if someone is stealing data from amazon. With money flowing everywhere and where credit card transaction/information is stolen.

Bottom line yes its illegal as hell and do i support the act of it? no. But do i feel sorry or bad for those that use AM? nope.

Fathom

Banned
To a lot of people, cheating is an asshole's choice.

You tried to fluff it up and sugarcoat it with vagueness and no examples of why it may not be a horrible thing.

No, you're just not mature or intelligent enough to understand that relationships don't exist in a cloud of binary morality. They are extraordinarily complicated and there are often times human and understandable reasons for infidelity.

Joyful

not surprised GAF has a cheater defense force

Fathom

Banned

Are you a teenager or something? A functioning adult has no excuse to be as simple minded as about 40% of the posters in this thread. To go even further and think the hacking is justified is flat out madness.

Of course there is. Where we should "understand" the cheater.

Cheating is for those that really don't have much control over themselves. A fools choice, when there are much better or smarter options to get out of something.

Joyful

Are you a teenager or something? A functioning adult has no excuse to be as simple minded as about 40% of the posters in this thread. To go even further and think the hacking is justified is flat out madness.

Uh no
and ofc this hacking isnt justified
the fact a website has the tagline "life is short, have an affair" is pretty appalling however

Cybrwzrd

Banned
No, you're just not mature or intelligent enough to understand that relationships don't exist in a cloud of binary morality. They are extraordinarily complicated and there are often times human and understandable reasons for infidelity.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

Please explain to me these "Understandable reasons for Infidelity"? because from the many cases I've seen and experienced. There is no real extraordinary complicated reasons for it, which such a matter could not be figured out in a more adult way. Because there are far more people cheating for really dumb reasons rather then for "smart" or understandable reasons.

Fathom

Banned
Of course there is. Where we should "understand" the cheater.

Cheating is for those that really don't have much control over themselves. A fools choice, when there are much better or smarter options to get out of something.

Hypothetical time.

A woman is in a loveless marriage with a husband she feels nothing for, and he feels nothing for her. They don't fight or argue, there just isn't passion there. They have two young disabled kids together whose lives they don't want to tear apart through a divorce. The wife or husband cheats to have the companionship he/she once had with their spouse.

Now why would divorcing and fucking up their kids life be a smarter choice?

Plus explain to me these "Understandable reasons for Infidelity"? because from the many cases I've seen and experienced. There is no real extraordinary complicated reasons for it, which such a matter could not be figured out in a more adult way. Because there are far more people cheating for really dumb reasons rather then for "smart" or understandable reasons.

Shit, and I thought the dude was joking piggybacking on the vague and no real reasons from the person I quoted.

kinggroin

Banned

Examples? It'll help give some posters a better understanding of where you're coming from. Perspective helps.

Hypothetical time.

A woman is in a loveless marriage with a husband she feels nothing for, and he feels nothing for her. They don't fight or argue, there just isn't passion there. They have two young disabled kids together whose lives they don't want to tear apart through a divorce. The wife or husband cheats to have the companionship he/she once had with their spouse.

Now why would divorcing and fucking up their kids life be a smarter choice?

As a child of divorce, there is nothing worse than living with two parents that don't love each other. Kids pick up on it (even disabled kids).

So in this case, they have amicable divorce, find someone they truly love and they agree to be civil around the children. The kids will be better for it.

Jesus, the replies in this thread...you are ok with people being victims of identity theft just because they are in stale, boring relationships and want a bit of excitement in their lives?

Don't get married, or if you are married, then get divorced, if you want to have a bit of excitement.

Divorce isn't as easy as "let's break up," so I don't know why any of you think someone should not have any fun before a divorce gets finalized.

You're right- it's not that easy. So, an adult should do the responsible thing and wait it out. They made these decisions, and they should see them through one way or the other, for at the very least, out of respect for the other person who is the other half of the situation.

Fathom

Banned
I could rattle off dozens of other examples but not wanting to affect your kids lives is the most immediate and understandable reason I've seen. There's also some cases of the Dad being an alcoholic but making the primary income and the wife not making enough money to leave (my parents, I'd pat my Mom on the back if she ever cheated), or simply not wanting to leave out of fear but wanting to find some happiness in between the margins. It's not always an evil, selfish act done just because people are bored and want to fuck over their spouse.

Examples? It'll help give some posters a better understanding of where you're coming from. Perspective helps.

As a child of divorce, there is nothing worse than living with two parents that don't love each other. Kids pick up on it (even disabled kids).

So in this case, they have amicable divorce, find someone they truly love and they agree to be civil around the children. The kids will be better for it.

Fucking exactly. Because the other side of that is REALLY messy for every body if they continue to fake it, for their kids. When the kids themselves will understand that they are not in love. This will hurt their kids even more.

An per his example if they are not fighting or arguing then they should be more then willing to have a divorce that is fair to both parties.

Fushin

I was wondering why you would sign up for a service all about infidelity if you were single and looking for other single people, you know, in the first place.

Save your junior litigating for something else. It was a popular site with lots of single members, there's no bigger story here on my end.

kinggroin

Banned
I could rattle off dozens of other examples but not wanting to affect your kids lives is the most immediate and understandable reason I've seen. There's also some cases of the Dad being an alcoholic but making the primary income and the wife not making enough money to leave (my parents, I'd pat my Mom on the back if she ever cheated), or simply not wanting to leave out of fear but wanting to find some happiness in between the margins. It's not always an evil, selfish act done just because people are bored and want to fuck over their spouse.

Not always, no. We can agree on that.

I'd be willing to bet anything its almost always born of selfishness, lack of self-control and or not wanting to work through issues.

And yes, marriage is hard fucking work.

Fathom

Banned

How can you possibly know that? Each situation has it's own circumstances. Do you realize for example how important structure is to autistic children? A divorce and going to two separate homes would severely rattle a large percentage of kids on the spectrum, some possibly would never recover and be set back for life, growing into even worse behaviors. Even not taking disability into account, plenty of husbands and wives can be perfectly civil to each other and the kids won't notice until they become teenagers. My parents stayed together even though they hated each other. I wanted them to love each other but eventually I accepted it. If they would have split up my Mom would have had to work for the rest of her life.

Point is, it's not always so simple.

kinggroin

Banned
Makes as much sense as an identify theft defense force.

Agreed. We shouldn't celebrate nefarious behavior regardless

How can you possibly know that? Each situation has it's own circumstances. Do you realize for example how important structure is to autistic children? A divorce and going to two separate homes would severely rattle a large percentage of kids on the spectrum, some possibly would never recover and be set back for life, growing into even worse behaviors. Even not taking disability into account, plenty of husbands and wives can be perfectly civil to each other and the kids won't notice until they become teenagers. My parents stayed together even though they hated each other. I wanted them to love each other but eventually I accepted it. If they would have split up my Mom would have had to work for the rest of her life.

Point is, it's not always so simple.

Its YOUR example my man. I'm just telling you my POV based on your details. I get your main point, and even agreed with it a post or two up.

But you don't have to fucking sneak around MOST of the time. Hell, probably the vast majority of the time.

Even in your example. They can agree to then stay married (eh..), and start dating other people. The wife or husband or, god forbid children, don't have to catch the parents in a lie.

Not always, no. We can agree on that.

I'd be willing to bet anything its almost always born of selfishness, lack of self-control and or not wanting to work through issues.

And yes, marriage is hard fucking work.

Well said

They are seeking the easiest route and cheating is a really easy route.

ghostjoke

Banned
While I think cheating and this site are horrible things, if you're here thinking this is a wonderful win for justice, you really need to take a look at how the world actually works. You really think this is only going to effect the cheaters? You think someone wants to find out their SO (or a child sees their parent) is a cheater in news headlines? You think these hackers aren't doing this to steal money (btw, there's this thing called a joint-bank account) and fuck with people? And this is before we get into "alternative relationships" which I'm guessing (maybe just hoping) is a major part of this site. No one comes out good in this except the hackers (if they get away), and I guess you, if you take a twist sanctification in this kind of news.

Opto

Banned
Don't get married, or if you are married, then get divorced, if you want to have a bit of excitement.

You're right- it's not that easy. So, an adult should do the responsible thing and wait it out. They made these decisions, and they should see them through one way or the other, for at the very least, out of respect for the other person who is the other half of the situation.

Be miserable and wait it out. Great, healthy advice.

While I think cheating and this site are horrible things, if you're here thinking this is a wonderful win for justice, you really need to take a look at how the world actually works. You really think this is only going to effect the cheaters? You think someone wants to find out their SO (or a child sees their parent) is a cheater in news headlines? You think these hackers aren't doing this to steal money (btw, there's this thing called a joint-bank account) and fuck with people? And this is before we get into "alternative relationships" which I'm guessing (maybe just hoping) is a major part of this site. No one comes out good in this except the hackers (if they get away), and I guess you, if you take a twist sanctification in this kind of news.

Isn't this just grasping for straws though?

Spouses not wanting to find out their partners cheat? Come on.

I seriously doubt anyone but public figures would have their cheating outed in a news headlines and their kids bullied.

Opto

Banned
I'm real sorry some of you have been cheated on by others, but its sounds like you enjoy your misery being distilled into the actions of hackers that don't give a fuck about you.

Opto

Banned
Nothings a walk in a park so don't assume that i think that it is. But being an adult about something is not supposed to be freaking easy.
Define being an adult. Cause choosing to be miserable in some semblance of doing what's right sounds like just choosing to be miserable.

kinggroin

Banned
Define being an adult. Cause choosing to be miserable in some semblance of doing what's right sounds like just choosing to be miserable.

If you both talk and agree to see other people as the divorce goes through, then I imagine that's the adult way of handling it.

If he or she say they aren't comfortable with it until the divorce is final, then being respectful of your spouse's wishes is also handling the situation like an adult I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom