• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ashton Kutcher as Steve Jobs in 'Jobs'

Status
Not open for further replies.

SegaShack

So just checking anyone else like the Fassbender Jobs film?
I wanted to like it, but had way too many issues with it. The acting and cinematography were top notch, but the script and its structure just didn't work at all. Kutcher's is really campy and feel good and bad for that reason, but this one is bad for being like the movie Groundhog's Day.
You have the same exact people going up to Steve every keynote, asking him the same things, there is absolutely no character development either, unless you count that stupid over the top sitcom ending with his daughter. Furthermore the believability that all these events are occuring the day of the Keynotes is very low.

What saddens me is how much potential this new one had.

MercuryLS

Banned
the music is the worst part.

It is, but the iPod touches the human heart...and that's limitless.

9T1kgIr.gif

Dead

well not really...yet
Wow @ that clip

It's shot, acted and written as if it's some Funny or Die or College Humor skit, but it's actually for real

wow wow wow

The third clip in the op, wow. Jony ive worshipping steve while sappy music plays

I dont think i can properly express the disgust im feeling

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Kutcher really looked like Jobs at certain parts in the movie to an eerie degree.
But then he opens his mouth and he sounds like Tim Calhoun. Very creepy.

Grinchy

Banned
I'll never quite understand the hate that this movie got. I really didn't find it bad at all. I was pretty entertained through the whole thing and I don't give a shit about Apple or Steve Jobs.

Disgraced

aliengmr

I'm totally sensing something else motivating the hate for that movie. It doesn't look great but its pretty standard biopic stuff.

Reactions had me ready for something really bad, and it was so-so. I'm slightly disappointed.

Davey Cakes

All this thread does is remind me how great Pirates of Silicon Valley is.

Noah Wyle is a really natural Jobs in that movie. Not particularly overacted. Anthony Michael Hall is a bit "character-y" as Bill Gates but is still tremendous in that role.

Who would've thought a made-for-TV movie would still be the definitive version of this story?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm totally sensing something else motivating the hate for that movie. It doesn't look great but its pretty standard biopic stuff.

Reactions had me ready for something really bad, and it was so-so. I'm slightly disappointed.

Completely agree, mediocre across the board, but far from the worst thing as its been painted.

Man, I'd never watched the film but those clips are... pretty funny.

It's like watching a ham sandwich try to act. Every time he bursts into fits of rage it's not intimidating, just... kinda funny.

Fassbender didn't look at all like Jobs, but he (and admittedly, the script) nailed down a more credible-sounding Jobs.

Maybe I just listened to too many tech podcasts back in the day and became numb to it, but the hero worship of the film didn't really annoy me. Personally I enjoyed the movie. Probably helped that I knew next to nothing about Jobs

I swear, I was expecting everyone in the room to get up and start clapping after that Ive speech. It was that level of ham-fisted.

The fucking cringe levels in that scene. When kutchup chews on his lip while the other doofus is telling him how they all believe in him. And i almsot expected some tears when he did the "just go...create something, something you believe in" part. Youd swear they were working on a cure for a strain of cancer that only infects adorable toddlers.

They missed a trick by not having him say "go create something that just works" tho, then apple fans couldve nudged each other with a knowing wink and been like "hey thats where our slogan comes from"

FairyD

Everyone always forgets about Tomorrow Never Dies.

That was the best characterization of Jobs in film. He was a fucking Bond villain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom