• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Moonkid

full disclaimer:
i was one of the problematic asians who initially didn't have a problem with scarjo as major since i am first generation immigrant and still consume considerable asian movies contents (in my mind, gits being picked up by hollywood was a good thing since it was a kind of acknowledgement of asian original titles) (as for the casting choice, i was thinking it made sense since if i wanted to see asian actors, i just had to watch asian media. and hollywood gits would naturally have 'hollywood' casting).(this was shortsighted and tonedeaf from me)

i did not understand asian americans' perspectives. i was not able to empathize with the struggle of being 'erased' or 'trivialized' in mainstream contents produced in the very country you call your own.

i have been schooled since. i think it was cybit and septimus prime that helped me understand the issues. so thank you, both, and thank you asianGAF. anyway, so. im refraining from commenting in that thread. MESS.
Tbh if I didn't frequent Gaf I wouldn't be as nearly as informed on issues like these in general. We covered it on a surface level in high school media studies but I only learned the nuances of representation through discussions here. Not to mention most of my Asian friends/acquaintances aren't savvy on social issues either :c I have maybe one or two peeps I can shoot the shit about this stuff about, for the rest of them it ranges from "triggered!! LOL SJWs" to apathy.

You know it's actually a damn shame about that thread with the one article. There's a decent amount you can take away from it, but the OP tried to take one quote and make it seems like Japanese people want to suck on some white D. Not only that but it's throwing more fuel on the fire on the shittiest part of the discussion and makes it run around in circles over one line.

I read the whole thing, I really wish that line wasn't the focus of the thread. Their were some pretty deep stuff said in that article. The one that hit me the most was when they brought up the Dr. Strange casting. The Ancient One was a Asian stereotype, so what better way to fix this then to not cast a Asian at all, right? It totally would have been racist if they did, so they had no choice. They were really looking out for us.

Although casting an Asian and not forcing him/her to conform to those stereotypes would have been nice as well.

S-Wind

I saw the Power Rangers movie today.

Loved it!

It's so fucking rare to get a Hollywood movie where there's an actual Asian American character (played by an Asian Canadian no less!) who gets to be a hero, funny, NORMAL, and above all: a non-flat, non-stereotypical HUMAN BEING! I especially love his backstory of taking care of his dying mother as that is similar to my own situation.

I love that that he is portrayed as an Asian American who can speak his ancestral language fluently. Hopefully that can contribute just a little bit to Asian Americans/Canadians/Europeans realizing that we don't have to throw away/be ashamed of/abandon our roots in order to "fit in".

My only complaint, and I called this months ago, was that the shirtless scene was totally wasted on the white guy - do a google image search for "Ludi Lin" if you don't know what I am talking about. Oh, and I guess I wish his character was given way more screen time to be fleshed out.

Here's hoping, not just for a sequel, but for a sequel which gives Ludi Lin more to work with, and more time to shine.

I did my part.

I've seen him in the Power Ranger trailer but I needed to look him up again. That is definitely one good looking dude. Even as another guy I think it's really too bad he didn't get a shirtless scene. It won't be do much, but every little bit helps as far as trying to change the way most Americans perceive Asian men. Which unfortunately still includes weak, small, or unattractive far too often.

cdyhybrid

#HanLives

'Fast and Furious' Writer Chris Morgan Teases Han Seoul-Oh's Possible Return

DAix2he.png

😱😱😱

#HanLives

😱😱😱
I know the article says it's unlikely the case, but I'm hoping they just pull a full resurrection. They can explain or not; it doesn't really matter, given what series it is. His character's death—while it was supposed to be impactful for Furious 7—really wasn't a big deal because of Paul Walker's actual death. And while I think it was probably the right move to downplay Han's exit because a lead actor actually died, I think it would be fine to just say Han survived the explosion somehow now.

zeemumu

I know the article says it's unlikely the case, but I'm hoping they just pull a full resurrection. They can explain or not; it doesn't really matter, given what series it is. His character's death—while it was supposed to be impactful for Furious 7—really wasn't a big deal because of Paul Walker's actual death. And while I think it was probably the right move to downplay Han's exit because a lead actor actually died, I think it would be fine to just say Han survived the explosion somehow now.

But Dom collected his body. That's the problem.

MsKrisp

Hey everyone! I'm new to posting in community stuff. Is this where we talk about food and bond over our annoying moms?

milkham

I was typing out a reply to ibukilord in the paramount thread then just deleted it. tired of going in circles with these people. Gits threads are dead to me.

I was typing out a reply to ibukilord in the paramount thread then just deleted it. tired of going in circles with these people. Gits threads are dead to me.
Don't bother. The ones that come in to laugh at "fake outrage" aren't ever gonna be convinced. Just proves how invisible Asian Americans are when people think it's a made-up issue.
The worst ones come out at night...or day depending on where you're from. It's like that Starcraft 2 mission where all the zombies swarm the base at night and then the sun scorches em out come sunrise. I've been seeing lots of sensible posters when I'm awake so I don't feel as much of a need to chime in.
GitS threads have worn me the fuck out. People talk about anime like it's an underrepresented minority.
______

Bobby Lee's podcast has Jordan Peele as a guest. He talks about the Japanese guy in Get Out at exactly the 33 minute mark.
https://tigerbelly.libsyn.com/

Don't bother. The ones that come in to laugh at "fake outrage" aren't ever gonna be convinced. Just proves how invisible Asian Americans are when people think it's a made-up issue.
The worst ones come out at night...or day depending on where you're from. It's like that Starcraft 2 mission where all the zombies swarm the base at night and then the sun scorches em out come sunrise. I've been seeing lots of sensible posters when I'm awake so I don't feel as much of a need to chime in.
GitS threads have worn me the fuck out. People talk about anime like it's an underrepresented minority.
______

Bobby Lee's podcast has Jordan Peele as a guest. He talks about the Japanese guy in Get Out at exactly the 33 minute mark.
https://tigerbelly.libsyn.com/

Can you paraphrase? I have a busy few weeks so I don't exactly have time to listen..

It's actually a lot less interesting than other people's interpretations. It's to show that this organization is international and far reaching. I'm sure there is a social commentary reason for it, but he didn't delve into it that way.
EDIT: Youtube version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wPlO5veTfI

That's a shame... I feel like there's an open dialogue that needs to be had between Asians and minority groups (especially with Black American community). It really saddens me to see the misinformation and distrust between both sides..

suzu

Some people just really don't like it when you criticize the things they like. It's all hyperbole or fake outrage to them. :|

I'll sum it up for you. Not the YouTube video, but the problem.

White folk been using Asian folk as a bat to beat down the black folk. Some Asian folk say nothing cause they think it's better than being beaten. Some Asian folk say nothing cause they just that stupid.

(I've been watching True Blood at work. Southern accents are just so goddamn attractive.)

I know the perception problem. The issue is that a dialogue needs to be had.

milkham

Who's going to be doing the talking on the Asian side though? I feel like the most visible group of Asians in the united states is probably immigrants, who are from all over asia, don't have a common language and often don't speak english.

As a kid (first generation chinese american) I wondered where all the previous generations of chinese disappeared off to. I grew up in chinatown so of course I was also completely surrounded by immigrants and other first generation americans but even now I don't think I've ever met any east asian who is more than one generation removed from their origin countries. Is it just my socio-economic status and all the 3rd and 4th generation move off into different areas? Do they assimilate so well that they disappear into the greater white american society? I have no idea

Last year a friend of mine had returned from her job in Haiti and wanted dim sum so we were walking along in chinatown laughing about something and a senior citizen smiled at us and commented on the beauty of laughter in perfect american english as she hobbled past us on her cane. I was speechless, it was like seeing a unicorn for me.

True. A dialogue needs to happen. Unfortunately, I don't know if there is anybody who wants to have that discussion on our side :(

Man.... I've been craving for some sushi. I haven't had sushi in half a year now ;_;

MsKrisp

It seems like when you first come to this country, you try to stick within communities of your own (if you're not isolated), then your children branch out more and go off and don't necessarily marry someone who came from the same country. I never really thought about it before...

WELCOME.

*eats your cake

:O fine, since you ate my cake I'm going to have these pork buns.

Man.... I've been craving for some sushi. I haven't had sushi in half a year now ;_;

How come?

Just haven't been out to eat is all. I would prefer staying in with my siblings and have people come over or we go over to people's houses to bbq/grill/cook instead of going out.

Most of my friends are the same and some don't even eat sushi.

MsKrisp

Yeah, those kinds of pork buns you can get at a lot of places, but their chicken is worth going out of the way for.

Hi Nudull!

zeemumu

That makes sense. People would say "well make your own sushi!" but I am not a damn sushi chef.

Nice to meet you too! Those are Bonchon pork buns https://bonchon.com/

Looks like the closest to me is in Costa Mesa. That's kind of far.

Also, I would totally get chicken instead if I went there.

You know what you must do.

(It's an excuse to hang.)

You too zeememe!

Hmm...

I'll keep this in mind. It'd take me between 30min. to an hour to get there depending on traffic.

SRG01

I really have to ask: did that style of Pork Buns originate from Momofuku in New York or is it from some other trend?

Yeah, so I actually saw the AirBNB thing a couple of days ago, but I didn't post a thread because I thought it would turn out like how the current thread is actually going.

Yeah. Pretty much how I thought that thread would go :/

Anyways, Happy Weekend y'all. The weather is looking awfully nice this weekend (well parts of it) for the Twin Cities.

Top Bottom