• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Jesus, that sounds awful especially with your pregnant wife there. What line were you riding? Born and raised here in Chicago and I've ridden the red line and brown line my whole life and thankfully have never been a target of any kind of racial tirade. Certainly seen my fair share of crazies though. Sorry you and your wife had to go through all that. But also glad to hear some good samaritans stepped in.

We were on the Red Line. Got on Harrison, which then went express from Jackson to Fullerton. Incidentally, we were headed up towards Argyle. Thanks for your thoughts. In the grand scheme of things, it could've been way way worse, but it always catches you off guard.

Erheller said:
Ming Hin is really good, I also go to Cai for Dim Sum sometimes. If I'm feeling like dumplings there's Qing Xiang Yuan kind of close by there too. Also, the duck at BBQ King House is pretty good. Little Lamb Hot Pot is also good. And yeah, Strings is also pretty good (my sister had ramen at another place somewhere downtown and liked it a lot but I forgot what it was called)

At Argyle, I really like Sun Wah for the duck and Vietnam Restaurant for the pho (Tank Noodle is really overrated). There's another pho place across the street from Vietnam Restaurant I've been meaning to check out.

Cho Sun Ok has some good Korean bbq too, but it's kind of out of the way. I'll have to check out Umai and Dae bak!

Yeah, Tank Noodle is always crowded, but honestly not that special. Vietnam Restaurant (Nha Hang Vietnam) has good rice dishes too. I like Pho 888 (couple doors down from Tank Noodle) as well. They have good pho and really good eggrolls, not that frozen reheated kind.

Yeah those are all good. I like hitting up Sun Wah though it's kinda far to go to. We do go to Hing Kee for Xiao Long Bao (the place where that lady makes them through the window). My wife's Shanghainese by ethnicity and she claims they're the best bang for your buck in Chicago. I'll have to check out Qing Xing Yuan. I agree about Tank but Ba Le (across the street) has really good Banh mi IMO.

The Korean food can be hit or miss. Cho Sun Ok's probably my favorite, but I hate the service, even by old-school Korean standards. San Soo Gab San's ok, and the service is better but the food is average. The other ones in the northern suburbs are ok but hit that all you can eat itch I guess (Woori village, etc). Ahjoomah's Apron in Chinatown's okay for a fix though is pretty average too though.

clav

San Soo is expensive, but I guess it's pretty authentic for how much banchan dishes they serve. Most I've had in a Korean restaurant. Even more than Korean places I've had in SoCal and in K-Town. You get a lot of Korean students from Northwestern University nearby who make at least weekly trips.

Woori Village was great although it's been a while since I've eaten there. Service is best if you know someone who can speak Korean.

I've only found places around Arlington Heights serve authentic Japanese food. Mitsuwa over there is kinda empty though the last time I checked.

We were on the Red Line. Got on Harrison, which then went express from Jackson to Fullerton. Incidentally, we were headed up towards Argyle. Thanks for your thoughts. In the grand scheme of things, it could've been way way worse, but it always catches you off guard.

Sorry you had to experience that.

Think the worst of the el train I've saw is seeing homeless peeing inside the elevators. That's why it reeks piss at some stops. There also are beggars who do their spiel at one stop and jump off another.

I've also heard stories how it can be pretty bad in NY with people dropping their pants to take a deuce or piss.

Here's what I don't get about the derogatory use of "SJW": isn't social justice a good thing? Oh, man, those fuckin' SJWs are campaigning for equitable treatment for all! Oh no?

Woooow Septimus, why are you such a essjaydubya cucklord?

It's such a dumb insult though. Yes. Make fun of me and insult me for wanting everybody to be treated equally.

MsKrisp

wtf at that eating dogs and cats thread... and being baffled at the sensitivity at that joke?

A long time ago when I was like, 16 I went off on some guy at work that made a Chinese food cat/dog joke and I just lost it.

hirokazu

Turns out all asians look alike. It wasn't even the same person. How can so many mess ups happen. Poor guy.
Wait, did those articles saying he was previously convicted actually get the wrong person? I'm also not sure why anybody would look into his past, it's not like it's relevant to what happened.

I mean, it all seems to me like a ploy by United to get the attention off them and make the victim seem like a bad person. (I have no evidence it was United who brought the passenger's past to the attention of the media.)

Black - Asian Animosity Is an American Tradition

Really well written article exploring tension between Asian American and the Black community.

Too often, members of these communities learn about each other through the white gaze of American pop culture. Model minority stereotypes about Asian-Americans — that they have strong family units, work hard, and succeed in school — conveniently put them at odds with characterizations of African-Americans. Stereotypes of the latter posit that they come from broken families, are lazy, criminal opportunists, and don’t graduate from high school let alone earn advanced degrees. Among other things, these false readings engender a deep-seated fear of black people, making police officers more likely to react violently to them — and making store owners assume black women are stealing beauty blenders.
All these stereotypes gloss over cultural, individual, and economic realities of our country, ignore the diversity of Asian-American and black experiences, and dehumanize black and Asian people. In many ways, the two groups have some common ground. For a long time, both were considered unworthy of American citizenship. Both have had their identities weaponized along gendered lines. Both are thought of as a homogenous entity rather than seen for the ethnic and cultural and diversity they encompass. And both were seen as part of America only insofar as how much labor they could produce for powerful white people.

vern

I know some of you are kpop fans, and I may have 4 tickets to EXO in LA on April 28th. My company is sponsoring their NA tour (NY and LA) and I'll be in NY(25th) at that show. I got 6 tickets for NY, I think 5 are accounted for with me and my friends... so maybe have one or two extra if anyone on the East Coast wants to join for that one. I can't get to LA for the other one and so far haven't found any friends in CA that can attend. Anyway PM if it is possible for you to go to one of these shows and we can try to work it out. Not guaranteed at this moment but I'm supposed to be finding some use for these tickets according to my boss, so at least let me know you are interested if so. No scalping or being shady, only hit me up if you actually can go yourself.

vern

omg exo * ___ *

too bad im in australia aaaaa

I've flown Syd - LA on the cheap a few times. Free tix to exo should be worth it😂.

I've never heard an Exo song as far as I know. I gotta do some homework in the next week, cuz apparently I'll need to meet them and represent our brand lol.

milkham

I've flown Syd - LA on the cheap a few times. Free tix to exo should be worth it😂.

I've never heard an Exo song as far as I know. I gotta do some homework in the next week, cuz apparently I'll need to meet them and represent our brand lol.

This is the only exo song I know off the top of my head https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I3dezFzsNss

Is it a solo exo concert?
Bring ear protection, at the very least to protect you from screaming fan girls.

vern

This is the only exo song I know off the top of my head https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I3dezFzsNss

Is it a solo exo concert?
Bring ear protection, at the very least to protect you from screaming fan girls.

I think just EXO. ill get more details in the next few days. It was kind of a last minute thing for us because we are heading to NY for a different event and the times coincided and badabing boss threw down some money and now we are a sponsor and I'm the one attending while he flies back to Shanghai without me🙈

milkham

I think just EXO. ill get more details in the next few days. It was kind of a last minute thing for us because we are heading to NY for a different event and the times coincided and badabing boss threw down some money and now we are a sponsor and I'm the one attending while he flies back to Shanghai without me🙈

I don't know how familiar you are with the tri-state area, I just looked up their concert and it's actually going to be at the Prudential Center, which is in New Jersey. Not the first Kpop concert to advertise NY but actually be in Jersey unfortunately.

vern

I don't know how familiar you are with the tri-state area, I just looked up their concert and it's actually going to be at the Prudential Center, which is in New Jersey. Not the first Kpop concert to advertise NY but actually be in Jersey unfortunately.

Been like 10 years since I was in New York. I assume I can get a cab or uber or a train wherever I need to go. Or is it gonna be like Harold and Kumar going to White Castle?

milkham

Been like 10 years since I was in New York. I assume I can get a cab or uber or a train wherever I need to go. Or is it gonna be like Harold and Kumar going to White Castle?

I've taken the train out there before, I'd suggest a car instead especially if you're going with friends. You may be better off hiring some kind of car service though if you're staying in New York. I had a friend who needed to take a cab to Jersey a while back and the driver said he'd have to charge $90 plus to cross the state line, and that was without a return trip.

vern

I've taken the train out there before, I'd suggest a car instead especially if you're going with friends. You may be better off hiring some kind of car service though if you're staying in New York. I had a friend who needed to take a cab to Jersey a while back and the driver said he'd have to charge $90 plus to cross the state line, and that was without a return trip.

I'll try and rent a car. Company should pay for it all anyway so I'm not fussed 😏

People advocating for Trump to take out NK smh. They think destabilizing the Middle East was bad? It's fucking beyond their comprehension if the same were done in East Asia.

I just came back from Singapore/HK though so I'm literally broke at the moment.

EXO has really neat songs! I really like Lucky One from their most recent releases (the video is dorky, but the song is really nice). Monster (the video is their dance choreo and is really cool) and Hey Mama are fun, too :>

Older stuff are more candy and cute:
Love Me Right
Call Me Baby
Dancing King
Lotto

vern

I just came back from Singapore/HK though so I'm literally broke at the moment.

EXO has really neat songs! I really like

Me too! Just back from Singapore and Malaysia 😏 Back to Hong Kong after New York (and Spain😏😏😏)

Will listen to your links when I get a chance!

Me too! Just back from Singapore and Malaysia 😏 Back to Hong Kong after New York (and Spain😏😏😏)

Will listen to your links when I get a chance!

WOW WE WERE SORT OF CLOSE

hope you enjoy exo :>

they are a group of 9, but currently there is 'minigroups' that they are promoting. so, their last mini album is done by EXO-CBX (the cbx is for Chen, Baekhyun and Xiumin)

if you like Hey Mama (by EXO-CBX), you can also give Rhythm after the Summer and Cherish You a try :>

OK SOMEONE STOP ME NOW BEFORE I GO OVER EACH MEMBER OF THE BAND ; ___ ;

No_Style

So I started to listen and catchup to a lot Chinese pop via Spotify. I had a playlist going via a BT speaker at my folk's place. Mom was lecturing about relationships or something but I wasn't really listening. Then Jay Chou's Listen To Mother's Words comes on. I think the universe was trying to tell me something.

My mandarin is super rusty but I caught and understood the chorus. Haha...

MsKrisp

Tonight's dinner

gn211Fnl.jpg

hirokazu

Saw him a few years ago in Suzhou, reported back to Asian GAF at that time. Girls still love him here in the mainland.
His music is still played a heck of a lot in shopping centres, shops and restaurants when I was in China earlier in the year, even though he doesn't seem to be all that active lately.

Shamelessly reposting from the Nier Automata OT because I'm rather desperate:

Looking for some help from JapanGAF after watching the Nier Automata livestream from yesterday:
I'm living in Osaka right now and they announced that there is going to be a Nier Automata concert in Osaka to which I would really, REALLY like to go to, but my Japanese is rather bad (especially reading Kanji), so I wanted to ask if someone could help me and tell me where I might be able to get a ticket. I think they are giving the information on he second slide regarding the concerts, but I'm not sure and find them giving dates like the 5/5 or 24/4 (one day after the concert) confusing. I'm afraid that I have to secure a ticket in advance as I doubt they will sell the tickets before the concert at the place itself, but I have little experience when it comes to events like that in Japan.

Here's the part of the livestream where they start talking about the concert.

Can someone please help me poor exchange student out :D?

EDIT: Nevermind, tickets are already sold out.

Um I feel like I should clarify we're not an "Asian the continent" thread, but rather an "of Asian descent & related content" thread.

It's fine to ask questions because some of us do have closer ties and greater insight into Asian countries and culture than some, for example, random nonAsian man living on a farm in Ohio, but it's not necessarily very likely you'll get people that know the country you're thinking of well.

oh, been looking for neogaf threads for Vietnam and Asia, like we have for some European countries but have not found any. This was the closest..

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

Top Bottom