• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian US college applicants not ID'ing selves as asian to improve admission chances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastry

Banned
I thought it was pretty funny that the students complain of being grouped as 'Asian' in the application process but turn around and call students of 'white' parents lazy and spoiled. Doesn't work that way.

methane47

damn...

i'd like to speak on the topic, but i tells ya what. i'd be nowheres good without it so i'm bias.

affirmative action is always tricky... I like to think that AA should be used when applicants are of equal qualifications then it could be useful.. Opponents like to think that when Diversities have lessor qualifications then AA is harmful.

walking a Thin line..

Apath

I feel like the University of Illinois is 50% Asian. The official count says about 10%, but according to my own eyes, I call b.s. Perhaps this is an example of people claiming one ethnicity but actually being another. Interesting!
I agree with this. Every time I go to Champaign, the campus is literally around 50% asians walking around.

Kosmo

Banned
Can't you just lie and put down "African American" or some other ethnicity that is more likely to get you admitted? They don't actually do research on this stuff.

This.

I was just reading an article on how Affirmative Action has actually hurt African Americans and actually resulted in lower college graduation rates. The rationale was that some students who were under-qualified got accepted into highly competitive, for example, law programs and were overwhelmed by the workload/competition. These same students, however, would have likely succeeded in a slightly less competitive program and graduated.

I'm not sure if I buy all of it, but I can see the logic.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Well, that problem is two fold.

Affirmative Action admits are based on the potential of the steudnet to do well in college. However, colleges often receive funding based on admission rates and not graduation rates.

So there is less emphasis on help those students with that potential staying/keeping them in school.

Now, once you change that focus, and attempt to put forth an effort to nurture those students, you see higher grade and a higher graduation rate amongst under-represented students.

I've worked in higher ed for 6 years now, and I wouldn't say that there is discrimination against Asians at my school or similar schools that I am familiar with, but I do not work in an elite ivy league or engineering school, so perhaps. That being said, despite the supreme court ruling, Affirmative Action and race-based admissions and financial aid decisions are real. At every school.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I've worked in higher ed for 6 years now, and I wouldn't say that there is discrimination against Asians at my school or similar schools that I am familiar with, but I do not work in an elite ivy league or engineering school, so perhaps. That being said, despite the supreme court ruling, Affirmative Action and race-based admissions and financial aid decisions are real. At every school.
Would be interesting to see a breakdown of all the colleges/universities in the US and see how the patterns breakdown.

Bleepey

Yeah, that was the Hot 97 controversy with Miss Jones and Miss Info.

Oh, Miss Info...

missinfo.jpg

I like her. (Man that photo is asking for a Brazzers logo)

I'd watch that movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom