• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Q8D3vil

Just finished it.
As someone who hate AssCreed with all my heart this game was amazing.
Loved the story, characters and some of the battles were epic as fuck.
playing it on pc with 60fps helped of course.

Bit lttp but picked this up a few days ago on PS4 while it was on sale on PSN.

I found a white whale spawn by chance earlier today though and man, was that a beating. My rowboat only had lvl 2 armor and harpoons and it took me quite a while to take it down. Hitting the tale to prevent your boat from taking damage is so fickle and I finally realized that it was better to just spam the harpoon when he goes vertical from the water. What's funny is after a dozen or so failed attempts, I took zero damage when I finally killed him.

Is it normal to have him spawn in "easy" waters?

Kind of weird that Kidd shows you how to take assassin contracts even though I've been able to take them since the beginning of the game -_-

AndyD

aka andydumi
Kind of weird that Kidd shows you how to take assassin contracts even though I've been able to take them since the beginning of the game -_-

I agree. It was also odd to me that everything was on the map from the first moment, and we did not need to find maps for stuff before it being revealed. It would have been somewhat more interesting to have a discovery type mode where you just run upon things until they get formally introduced in the storyline, then you see them on the map from then on.

SJRB

Gold Member

Just more proof that this game is a mish-mash of different concepts and small segments stitched together at the last moment.

It's nowhere near as obvious as in ACIII, but there's still some bizarre disconnect at certain points.

So I'm on sequence 12 at the moment and it's weird that this game hits its strides so late in the game story wise. After sequence 9 things actually become pretty interesting and the missions get quite a bit better with some really good emotional moments. It's the exact opposite of the first two thirds of the game which was really boring me to death.

What did you guys think of the diving bell segments? It was kind of interesting at first but I found it really disorienting at times swimming through ship wreckage. I feel like they were a tad bit overused, I dunno if I would rather have the "tomb" set pieces from earlier games.

Also Edward's "hood animation" is absolutely hilarious with the mayan outfit which has no hood.

Really Ubisoft??
Edward meets his daughter then fade to credits........ WTF is this shit. Who the hell is Haythan's mom? Was Anne Bonny his mother? When did Anne have her child?? I thought she was pregnant after rescuing her from prison, why was she following me around shortly after that on a mission. I'm not even going to get into the present day stuff which finally got interesting with Roberts and just ends.

After six asscreed games I don't know if I want to do this anymore. I don't even give a shit about the resolution.

GulEBA1.jpg

I felt the same way in regards to the real world story - it JUST got good and then ends, but I guess that was their aim/hook.

I liked the end credits though, I have to admit. The little Epilogue scene at the end was a nice touch.

Yeah maybe I'm hating on the end segment for Edward a little too much.
It's not the ending itself that bothered me as much as the way it ended with there being loose holes, I liked the opera house scene and Edward talking to his daughter on the Jackdaw. It's just I expected that sequence 13 was going to be a full length one though, so it was a tad anti climatic for me to hop back into the animus just to have the game end.

edit: I get the hook part, it's just Ubisoft does this almost every fucking time with this series.....

Mogwai

I just bought Freedom Cry standalone for the PS4 yesterday. It seems I'm getting regular freezes where the game stops for a second and then goes back to normal again.

Is there a cure to this problem?

Mogwai

Can someone explain to me how I get Connor's outfit in AC4?

According to this wiki page it's a requirement to have three AC games linked to the account. I already have AC3 (PS3), AC4 (PC) and Unity (PS4).

Could it be that Unity doesn't count towards unlocking the outfit?

Toa TAK

Banned
Just a heads up for Xbox One players: The season pass is free right now, and with it you can nab Freedom Cry for free instead of paying $9.99 for it.

The main game is also only $30 as well, but thought I'd give you guys a heads up with Freedom Cry essentially being free right now.

Just a heads up for Xbox One players: The season pass is free right now, and with it you can nab Freedom Cry for free instead of paying $9.99 for it.

The main game is also only $30 as well, but thought I'd give you guys a heads up with Freedom Cry essentially being free right now.

Is this only in a certain region? Showing $19.99 for me, and the Freedom Cry dlc is $9.99. I'm in NA.

Just started playing this on PS4 and I'm about three hours in. Love the sailing stuff and the ocean is so gorgeous. I quite strongly dislike the standard on-foot gameplay, but it's definitely worth pushing through so far for the excellent ship gameplay.

I hate the Abstergo stuff. I hate the characters, I hate the slow pace, I hate how it takes me out of the Caribbean stuff so starkly. These sections drag on and really bring down the overall experience for me. I just want to be a fucking pirate; I don't need this lame framework to justify the premise.

I love the water in this game. It's sooo gorgeous. They did a really excellent job with the ship and wave physics in this. I love just sailing around and listening to the sea shanties (for such a minor thing they create such a wonderful atmosphere), but whenever I see an enemy ship I can't help myself and I have to sail over and doing piratey things to it.

CG-1fItWwAEWS1s.jpg

I'm probably about 10 hours in now. Really loving it overall, although I've made very little progress with the story so far as I'm having too much fun just sailing the ocean and trying to take on big enemy ships. I'm knocking around one of the medium areas at the moment, taking on Man of Wars to add them to my fleet. I managed to take down a level 46 ship last night, but but I died while fighting on the deck, literally two enemies away from winning the ship. Bastards! I took on the Legendary Ship in the bottom right of the map, but I couldn't beat it yet - fought it about four times, and the closest I got was getting it down to about 1/3 health. I've upgraded the Jackdaw's armour and cannons as much as I can, but I need blueprints for the top level for all of them. I suppose I should get on with some stuff on the islands, but honestly I really dislike the on-foot stuff and I'd much rather fart around at sea.

I've probably played about 16 hours by now. Fully upgraded my ship as much as I can and I've started looking for the elite plans, but I haven't even got far enough in the story to be able to dive yet, so I can't find most stuff. I've taken over about half of the forts around the map and I've killed a bunch of animals and upgraded some of Edward's equipment. I've tried fighting 2 of the Legendary Ships and I couldn't defeat either of them, although I can take down any ordinary ship including up to level 60 Man o' Wars. I've got my fleet fitted out with almost all Man o' Wars, but I don't really see the point in it now and the monetary rewards aren't high enough to keep bothering with it.

I guess I'll do the rest of the forts and then crack on with the story. I still dislike the on-foot staff and while I really enjoy the ship battles, boarding and taking over enemy ships gets very tiresome (especially when it glitches out, which is pretty often). I think I've just finished chapter 5.

I've probably played about 16 hours by now. Fully upgraded my ship as much as I can and I've started looking for the elite plans, but I haven't even got far enough in the story to be able to dive yet, so I can't find most stuff. I've taken over about half of the forts around the map and I've killed a bunch of animals and upgraded some of Edward's equipment. I've tried fighting 2 of the Legendary Ships and I couldn't defeat either of them, although I can take down any ordinary ship including up to level 60 Man o' Wars. I've got my fleet fitted out with almost all Man o' Wars, but I don't really see the point in it now and the monetary rewards aren't high enough to keep bothering with it.

I guess I'll do the rest of the forts and then crack on with the story. I still dislike the on-foot staff and while I really enjoy the ship battles, boarding and taking over enemy ships gets very tiresome (especially when it glitches out, which is pretty often). I think I've just finished chapter 5.

Tell me about it! By the time you are boarding you 500th enemy ship, you don't want to do it anymore. I always started to rush them to be as fast about it as possible, and probably only made myself even more frustrated.

Never got to beat the legendary ships. Even when I had all elite upgrades, I just couldn't find the motivation to learn their strategies. They surely aren't easy.

Yeah; I've just got the diving bell last night, I'm fast-travelling everywhere now and focusing on the undersea wrecks before I run through the rest of the story. I wish there was a fast way to take over enemy ships and still get the full haul of money and items. I've taken to just ramming stranded ships and accepting a small haul because I can't be bothered fighting on the deck.

I've now got the full ship armour and full set of cannons. Also had a look at the Legendary Ship in the top right corner of the map and holy shit; it's two goddamn level 75 Man o' Wars! No way I can be arsed to take them on.

I'm almost finished now - on chapter 11 now. According to the trophies there's 13 chapters. I've beaten all four (
five
) legendary ships, done all of the wrecked ships, done most of the side content and I'm just going to push through to the end now. I don't care about the plot at all, they keep introducing new characters who I can't really keep track of and I really just want to push through to the end.

Well, I'm done. Some more detailed thoughts here, but the short version is that I loved the ship stuff, and ended up loathing the on-foot stuff. Bad mission design, tedious combat, clunky parkour, offset by wonderful ship and water physics, thrilling ship-to-ship combat and incredible atmosphere. I think I'm done with the AC series as I've no interest in doing any of this ever again. 7.5/10

TBiddy

How do you do, fellow kids?

As a guy with limited time to dedicate to gaming, is AC4 for me? Or is it one of those games that requires 20-30 hours of gametime to really 'shine'?

I can get a key for the game for 5€.. so it's not like it's costing me a lot, but if you're all saying that it's a long, I might as well skip it, since I'll never complete it anyways! :<

Haroon

How do you do, fellow kids?

As a guy with limited time to dedicate to gaming, is AC4 for me? Or is it one of those games that requires 20-30 hours of gametime to really 'shine'?

I can get a key for the game for 5€.. so it's not like it's costing me a lot, but if you're all saying that it's a long, I might as well skip it, since I'll never complete it anyways! :<

Hello this is Atsou. The beginning of the game was really fun, and very engaging. The middle of the game is not really good. Just a lot of tailing, and listening in on conversation quests with some combat at the end of most of them. The ending parts seemed a bit rushed, but they were the best parts of the game. If you can still get it at that price. Go for it. If not, wait until it gets that low again.

Top Bottom