• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Enhance the Pirate Feeling
jGuNquRPkiY4W.png

Platforms: PC, 360, PS3, WiiU, Xbox One, PS4
Developer: Ubisoft Montreal, and practically every other ubisoft studio.
Publisher: Ubisoft
Ratings: ESRB M, PEGI 18+, MA15+
NA Release Dates: October 29 for 360/WiiU/Ps3, November 12 for PS4, November 19 for PC/Xbox One
EU Release Dates: October 29 for 360/Ps3, November 22 for WiiU/PC/Xbox One/PS4
AU Release Dates: October 29 for 360/Ps3, November 21 for WiiU/PC/Xbox One/PS4

Minimum PC Requirements:
OS: Win Vista SP 64bit, or Win 7 SP1 64bit, or Win 8 64bit
CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q8400@2.6 GHz / AMD Athlon II X4 620@2.6 GHz
RAM: 2GB System Memory
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 / AMD Radeon HD 4870
GPU RAM: 512MB VRAM with Shader Model 4.0 or higher
DX: DirectX June 2010 Redistributable
HD: 30 GB
AUDIO: DirectX Compatible Soundcard with latest drivers

Next Gen Features
NVidia Tech Demo

jgysLnaiDh2ca.png

Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag Despite the name is actually the Sixth main-line installment in the series. For the first
time in Assassin’s Creed, this new installment will actually go backwards in time from the previous installment. This
game focuses on the early 18th century Caribbean, during the golden age of pirates. The player will step into the shoes
of a young Edward Kenway, during his journey to become a legendary pirate. Edward Kenway is the father of Haytham
Kenway, and Grandfather to Connor Kenway, the protagonist of Assassin’s Creed 3.

In Assassin’s Creed 4 you will be let loose upon the open world of the Caribbean Sea with your ship called The Jackdaw.
You will be able to travel to the games more than 50 locations, including the 3 major cities of Havana, Nassau, and Kingston.
You will also meet a large cast of characters, consisting of many legendary pirates like Blackbeard, Benjamin Hornigold,
Anne Bonny, Charles Vane, and Calico Jack.

As always with Assassin’s Creed there will still be the usual background story. The war between the assassins and the
Templars is still a part of Black Flag, and as such will not be the pure pirate adventure game that many might have liked.
The game is still Assassin’s Creed by and large, but with additions like ship combat, hunting, underwater exploration,
and perhaps a little "Next Generation" graphics (*only for next gen editions and PC) perhaps Ubisoft can earn back some
fans disenfranchised by Assassin’s Creed 3.​

jkRNvTRLBnVy6.png

Regular on foot gameplay looks near Identical to Assassin’s Creed 3, you can free run along rooftops, trees, boats, etc. just
like AC3. Fighting looks pretty much the same, only difference being the removal of the tomahawk, and the addition of dual
swords for Edward. Boat gameplay from AC3 has obviously been brought into Black Flag, but there have been some changes.
You can now board any ship in the game; there is a spyglass that you can use to determine what supplies an enemy ship is
carrying. Cannons now feature an arcing line that allows you to adjust for wave height when firing cannons, and swivel cannons
are easier to lock on to targets. A few new weapon types were added to ships, and the Jackdaw can be customized and
upgraded, giving you greater firepower, or defenses.

There is a new addition of underwater exploration, which allows you to dive under the waves in certain areas. Edward can use
a device known as a diving bell to create a pocket of air, allowing him to stay underwater for extended periods of time. The player
must use stealth and evasion underwater to avoid sharks, which behave similarly to guards and will become alerted to you if
you don’t stay hidden. Underwater areas may also give players access to some secret areas similar to the mini “dungeons” that
were started in AC2, you will not have access to your weapons in these areas, forcing you to rely on stealth.

Ubisoft has stated that they put some effort into improving the stealth In Assassin’s Creed 4, which has often been left to the
wayside since the first game. The game takes a few things from a recent Ubisoft release Far Cry 3, such as hunting animals to
directly create upgrades for your character, or climbing puzzle towers like the radio towers. Perhaps using some knowledge learned
from Far Cry, Ubisoft may have improved the stealth in AC4; unfortunately this still remains to be seen.​

jurtpe404ZJQL.png

As with the other Assassin’s Creed games, AC4 will still have some gameplay during the present day. You will no longer play as
Desmond Miles; instead you will play as an employee of Abstergo Entertainment, a branch of Abstergo letting everyday people
experience memories through the animus. Apparently the majority of the present day content is entirely optional, but there will be
approximately 5 hours of present day content should you wish to participate.​

jMrA81EYjPOMZ.png

Sorry, No Naval Battles

Multiplayer returns for Assassin’s creed 4: Black Flag, and appears to be largely unchanged from AC3. The major additions are an
entirely new set of characters, a few new modes such as Pistoleer mode (only pistols), and frantic mode (Wanted, but everything’s
worth the same amount of points), and a new feature called the Game Lab. Game Lab is entirely similar to custom game options
in games such as Halo and Call of Duty, and apparently Ubisoft will introduce new modes made by the community and the developers
regularly.​

jSSzVELKfHmjO.png

jg3AaQCc1NfJN.png

jbcAmqV4CJITg.png

Yo Ho, a Pirates Life for Me

Toa TAK

Banned
Very nice OP. To the point.

Seriously debating picking this up for the 360 then upgrading to the One. I just don't get how the upgrading actually works.

Tobor

I'm going for the PS4 version instead of PC. Extra hour of content plus Remote play on Vita is too tempting.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Very nice OP. To the point.

Seriously debating picking this up for the 360 then upgrading to the One. I just don't get how the upgrading actually works.

IIRC you buy the upgrade for 10 bucks from the store, then use the 360 disc to play.

Nice OP man! Lean and clean, just the way I like 'em.

I'm excited for this game, even though I have to wait a bit longer for it on PC. Got the chance to try it out (on PC) last saturday with a PS4 controller, looked great. Just couldn't figure out how to fire my cannons. :lol

Nemesis_

The setting is so beautiful, hopefully it's immersive.

Anyone else getting a bit of a Wind Waker vibe from the open world sailing? Black Flag seems to do a bit more with it's random islands and such, but still, hopefully I get that "adventure" feel when I'm sailing the oceans.

The wait for my next gen version is going to kill me tho :(

Exile20

I didn't play 3 but I hear such bad things about it. This one is really teasing me and I want to get it. Wii U version here and hopefully not disappoint.

Nemesis_

Nifty. I assumed it was all digital or something.

You probably download a digital copy of the game on your One, but then the kind of "authentication" thing will be your 360 disc. I know that is apparently how it works with PS3->PS4

Toa TAK

Banned
You probably download a digital copy of the game on your One, but then the kind of "authentication" thing will be your 360 disc. I know that is apparently how it works with PS3->PS4

Looks like I'll be asking my local Gamestop after work today.

I can't wait another month just for better looking foliage. I need this now.

Nemesis_

Looks like I'll be asking my local Gamestop after work today.

I can't wait another month just for better looking foliage. I need this now.

My life has literally never been busier with non-game stuff at the moment, so the next gen waiting is a bit of a god send at the moment, lol.

But yeah, I will be super jealous. I don't even know if the upgrade deals are a thing here in Australia.

And I like the OT, OP. It's very tropical *.*

Is there any confirmation of this being 60fps sp or not?

So damn hard to keep track with which next gen launch games are or are not with so many of them backtracking.

Nemesis_

Yeah, I'd like to know which versions, if any, are 60fps. I could swear PC/XBO/PS4 were meant to be but....

Toa TAK

Banned

In love with this. I remembered being waaay too hyped for Revelations, after not being hyped at all for ACII and Brotherhood.

Just noticed "He's a Pirate" is in the OP. Great.

My life has literally never been busier with non-game stuff at the moment, so the next gen waiting is a bit of a god send at the moment, lol.

But yeah, I will be super jealous. I don't even know if the upgrade deals are a thing here in Australia.

And I like the OT, OP. It's very tropical *.*

I sea. I don't have the patience to wait for this game, minus the visuals, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference between the consoles.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Do people really think AC3 is worse than Revelations? Revelations is one of the worst games I have played in the last 5 years. It was like they decided to make a Bomb-crafting tower defense game and turned it into an AC game in the last few months of development

Toa TAK

Banned

Hamlet

Great OT
really hyped for this to my surprise after the disappointment of Assassins Creed 3
all the previews have really sold me on this plus I just want a bloody good Pirate game

Gaz_RB

Nice OT, homie. I'm mostly excited for this next week so we can get reviews out so I can solidify it as a PS4 launch purchase. I hate that all these cool games are coming out before I I'll have a next gen console to play them on!
Awesome OP.

So many 4 games coming out.

:D

AC4
BF4
PS4
KZ4
I'm ready 4 nextgen

I'm more excited to see how this will run on my PC than how the actual game is. pretty far from the current gen release but here's to hoping they'll optimize it well.

Top Bottom