• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

vladdamad

Do people really think AC3 is worse than Revelations? Revelations is one of the worst games I have played in the last 5 years. It was like they decided to make a Bomb-crafting tower defense game and turned it into an AC game in the last few months of development

You could ignore all the new mechanics if you wanted to, which is what I did. And at least Revelations had a coherent plot with a fantastic ending, AC3 was terrible in every aspect

Do people really think AC3 is worse than Revelations? Revelations is one of the worst games I have played in the last 5 years. It was like they decided to make a Bomb-crafting tower defense game and turned it into an AC game in the last few months of development

I agree with you, though were in the minority. AC3 gets much more hate than Revelations, espcially on Neogaf. Revelations was a much worse game that barely changed anything from Brotherhood, story felt really pointless, used old areas from AC1 aka rehashed a bunch of old material. AC3 had some problems but it was a much better game than revelations, sea combat was was a better minigame than that terrible tower defense game.

Toa TAK

Banned
I think AC3 is the best in the series.

Loved the whole Homestead part and how it grew.

*brofist*

Yes! ACIII is my favorite of the bunch.

The Homestead was great in that as the community grew, we also got to see the lighter side of Connor.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
You could ignore all the new mechanics if you wanted to, which is what I did. And at least Revelations had a coherent plot with a fantastic ending, AC3 was terrible in every aspect

Maybe the bomb-making, my memory is hazy but I remember those awful tower defense sections happened when your notoriety got high, so you certainly couldnt ignore them. As far as the ending goes what exactly was the Revelation? That
Altair had an apple in his tomb? Is that a Revelation?
Any ending to the game would have been ruined by the terrible trial and error chase section beforehand

I honestly thought they were both below average, Id favour AC3 because I thought it was a little more ambitious (if a little misguided)

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I agree with you, though were in the minority. AC3 gets much more hate than Revelations, espcially on Neogaf. Revelations was a much worse game that barely changed anything from Brotherhood, story felt really pointless, used old areas from AC1 aka rehashed a bunch of old material. AC3 had some problems but it was a much better game than revelations, sea combat was was a better minigame than that terrible tower defense game.

Exactly

vladdamad

Maybe the bomb-making, my memory is hazy but I remember those awful tower defense sections happened when your notoriety got high, so you certainly couldnt ignore them. As far as the ending goes what exactly was the Revelation? That
Altair had an apple in his tomb? Is that a Revelation?
Any ending to the game would have been ruined by the terrible trial and error chase section beforehand

I honestly thought they were both below average, Id favour AC3 because I thought it was a little more ambitious (if a little misguided)

I remember having to farm for the trophy where you have to do three of the tower defense things, so it probably was avoidable. Although it could have been the fact that I went straight through the missions during my first playthrough. And I think Revelations was just a dumb title, I was more impressed by the fact that the ending
provided closure for Ezio and Altair simultaneously, through the context of Desmond. When they show you Altair's death, followed by Ezio discovering the body, and that monologue, I felt that my time with the franchise was coming to a close, will all the narrative threads being neatly wrapped up. Apart from Desmond's thing of course, which was meant to be resolved in AC3.

I agree with you about AC3 being ambitious, but I felt that the game was so off the mark in all aspects that I could not enjoy it at all. My main issue with AC3 lies with the fact that I was heavily invested in the narrative, and the story in that game was god-awful. The ending was my biggest disappointment this gen.

Thanks Mod that changed the title, more accurate now =]

H: All major theme parks have delays. When they opened Disneyland in 1956, nothing worked!
M: Yeah, but, John, if The Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists.

anddo0

Eagerly awaiting reviews on this one.

I think it will review favorably.

It takes the best parts about AC, and mixes them with elements from Far Cry 3. I don't see how you can go wrong there. The present day gameplay is now more or less optional. It's AC, I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking. But with Watch Dogs and Drive Club being delayed. It's the perfect filler.

conman

Maybe the bomb-making, my memory is hazy but I remember those awful tower defense sections happened when your notoriety got high, so you certainly couldnt ignore them.
Yes, you could easily avoid them. Played through to 100% completion and only had to do the tutorial tower defense. The only way you had to defend a tower is if you ignored your notoriety levels, and even then you had a "grace period" once it reached high levels. People who had to regularly defend towers are probably the same people who like to rush through games without bothering with the full breadth of a game's systems and design. For everyone else, the tower defense was ridiculously easy to avoid.

Regardless, I thought Revelations was outstanding from a design perspective (story-wise it sucked, and the Altair bits and linear "instanced" areas in the beginning and end were awful). It was far from perfect, but compared to the travesty to intelligence and logic that was AC3, Revelations looks like the Mona Effing Lisa.

I remember having to farm for the trophy where you have to do three of the tower defense things, so it probably was avoidable. Although it could have been the fact that I went straight through the missions during my first playthrough. And I think Revelations was just a dumb title, I was more impressed by the fact that the ending
provided closure for Ezio and Altair simultaneously, through the context of Desmond. When they show you Altair's death, followed by Ezio discovering the body, and that monologue, I felt that my time with the franchise was coming to a close, will all the narrative threads being neatly wrapped up. Apart from Desmond's thing of course, which was meant to be resolved in AC3.

I agree with you about AC3 being ambitious, but I felt that the game was so off the mark in all aspects that I could not enjoy it at all. My main issue with AC3 lies with the fact that I was heavily invested in the narrative, and the story in that game was god-awful. The ending was my biggest disappointment this gen.

Truthfacts.

Angry Fork

I almost want to get this just for the water alone, it looks so beautiful I want to jump in it. But I'm tired/bored of this series after 3, and I don't like/care for pirates.

I'd come back if they made a French/Russian revolution themed game.

witness

Buying the ps3 version black Friday and then doing the ps4 upgrade to get it cheaper. That new 8 minute trailer is insane.

I think it will review favorably.

It takes the best parts about AC, and mixes them with elements from Far Cry 3. I don't see how you can go wrong there. The present day gameplay is now more or less optional. It's AC, I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking. But with Watch Dogs and Drive Club being delayed. It's the perfect filler.
Sure it sounds great on paper, but then again so did AC3. Once I actually got to playing that game though, I was greeted by terrible pacing, an unlikeable cast of characters, and lots of bugs.

I'm willing to give the franchise another shot, but I just don't want to be burned again. All I need is some confirmation.

Laieon

I actually really enjoyed AC3 (first and only game in the series I've played), so I'm thinking of picking this up as well. I'm a little hesitant though, because I actually wasn't that fond of the Naval battles, they just felt clunky.

Ashtar

I demand this video be added to the OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1zGqRXZlnY
QFhhrIo.gif

tumblr_mii0u96NtU1s5x9wyo1_400.gif

tumblr_mhrmn7arss1qaqmkyo1_250.gif

Risgroo

IQIV6la.gif

So hype!
Why, yes, I do have to post TJ gifs in every thread about this game
Loved every game in the series, don't see that changing.

EDIT: ASHTAR MY MAN! #KTJR
ivtkn.gif

Ashtar

IQIV6la.gif

So hype!
Why, yes, I do have to post TJ gifs in every thread about this game
Loved every game in the series, don't see that changing.

EDIT: ASHTAR MY MAN! #KTJR
ivtkn.gif
You know how I roll! we on the jeep baby that turquoise jeep baby!
lakers-kobe-bryant-phil-jackson-pau-gasol-car-driving-groovin.gif

just imagine flynt flossy and the gang instead of the lakers

UrbanRats

I've been thinking about it, but I guess that's what the upgrade is form. :p

OST is pretty good. Been listening to it since it's come out. Tyler always does a good job with his scores.

The main theme is addicting, too. The Ends of the Earth remind me of Far Cry 3 big time.
Wow, no kidding! (listening to it now).
I thought the OST in 3 was incredibly bland, this sounds pretty nice, so far.

Still not on the levels of 2/brohood though.
However those are some of my favorites of all time, so it's understandable.

Wait a minute, when did the PC release get pushed until November?!

Not sure, looked it up on steam while making the OT, saw it was put to November 19th. assuming its due to next gen versions coming around then.

annoying, cause i was all set to play this next week... but now ill have to wait. =\
(not like this doesn't always happen with AC on PC)

Fandangox

Burned out from Assassins Creed from some time ago, but I plan to pick this one up eventually cause god damn I love pirates.

dreamfall

Great OT!

I'm really hyped. I'm trying to stay away from videos to get mentally prepared.

Picking it up on the PS4, to see what the system will be capable at launch.

Also, multiplayer is always so much wreckless fun!

SuomiDude

Hope the game will be good, as I'm planning to buy the Wii U version. This game sounds promising, looks great, sounds great, seems to play well. So depending on the reviews and hands on impressions, I'll decide if I buy it or not. But Wii U version it'll be.

Scrabble

Revelations plot was practically non-existent. It's the quintessential example of filler. Forgetting the modern day stuff of course, AC3 had a better plot than Revelations.

Effect

If this "real world" stuff is completely optional this is starting to feel that it should be more of a side-story then anything. Didn't the "real world" characters, etc drive the story forward and gave structure and meaning for why you were explore the past lives of the various assassin's.

So should this game really have a 4 attached to it in the end? Or could they be lying and there are non-animus sections that aren't optional that will push the game's overall story forward?

Top Bottom