• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II PC Release Date - March 16, Pricing - $59.99

Zzoram

In the past, the late PC version would get some DLC free to make up for being late. Now we get the DLC bundled and forceably charged for it. Kinda bad, not quite as bad as MW2 being $59.99 without DLC.

kuYuri

The PC version will include the two announced DLC, are people really surprised by the extra cost? The game hasn't been out that long and the DLC isn't even out yet.

No_Style said:
1UP's article stated that the "Black Edition" is download-only. What can they possible include to justify a $5 price jump for a download-only version?

Serious question? Pretty much every digital release that's day and date with the retail release costs the same as the retail release.

Archie said:
Then Ubi will blame the poor sales on pirates and AC3 won't even show up on PC. Just according to keikaku.

Pretty much. You really can't follow activision's lead when you're shipping a singleplayer game and they're shipping a multiplayer game. People bought MW2 because pirated copies are an inferior product, but people with lesser morales won't have any issues with pirating the shit out of AC2.

Shai-Tan said:
there's nothing wrong with the performance of the first game

Eh, it doesn't run at 60fps on my monster of a computer, so I'd say it's poorly optimized.

DR2K

Banned
I guess the logic behind this is it's going to get pirated as fuck so lets make those that actually pay for PC games pay more. When in reality it'll make the pirating situation more desirable.

Do they want people to pirate this game?!

Bought it on 360 for $40 at best buy. Great game, but single player games are never worth the full price. Sorry PC gamers, i hope MW2 didn't seriously start a price hike on all big title PC games.

Struct09

I'm willing to guess that the retail PC version won't be too hard to get at $40, judging by all the sales we've seen on the console versions.

daycru

I can't believe the master race are sweating $10. They should be able to pull that out of their long luxurious neckbeards.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
daycru said:
I can't believe the master race are sweating $10. They should be able to pull that out of their long luxurious neckbeards.
But Ubi doesn't have to pay a platform holder for licensing fees. MW2 set a baaaaaaad precedent.

jett

D-Member
Will the PC version really come with the DLC episodes for "free"? I find that hard to believe. If it is I may hold buying that for console. In any case I'll probably end selling the ps3 port and buying this.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Not only is the pricing bad, but the release date? i thought it was stated for this month before. Which imo would've been a better release date, then march.

Haunted

daycru said:
We're calling foul because we're the master race and don't bend over. 60$ without licensing fees (which are usually used to justify that pricepoint on the HD consoles)? Nice try, Ubi.

If I hadn't played a friend's 360 copy already, I'd totally wait it out. Drops shouldn't take long.

legend166

Silly console gamers need to understand this effects them too.

Look out next gen, where publishers will say "We charge $60 for our PC games, and we don't have to pay a licencing fee. Because of the licencing fee, we will now be charging $70 for our console releases."

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Shai-Tan said:
there's nothing wrong with the performance of the first game
The game was buggy and crashed a lot. It was also somewhat performance heavy at the time even if you met the required specs.

CoG

I'll grab it at the Stream Holiday Sale 2010 for $30. Already have it for the 360 but would play again with PC gfx.

Ceebs

;_;

I was looking forward to this one too since I have heard nothing but good things about the console versions. $40 or price drop whichever comes first now.

MoFuzz

In the first one, the framerate was definitely less than 60fps a good chunk of the time.

Also, there should have been be an easier way to quit to menu/Windows, other than Alt+F4or Ctrl+Alt+Del, etc.

Meh, was personally gonna wait for a Steam sale anyways, but it's still rotten for those who wanna go Day 1 for PC. Especially since it'll be four good months after console release.

onken

legend166 said:

Look out next gen, where publishers will say "We charge $60 for our PC games, and we don't have to pay a licencing fee. Because of the licencing fee, we will now be charging $70 for our console releases."

Yeah it seriously blows my mind that publishers have the fucking balls to raise prices considering we've had steady deflation and lowering development costs over the last few years.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I got the first one for 20$ within 8 months of it's release on PC so I'll wait here as well. I did get excellent performance in AC1 on a 9800GX2 (don't recall many drops below 60 even with AA on) so I expect to get excellent performance here as well especially since I will have upgraded by the time it goes on sale.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i feel like making a list of everyone in the gaf steam group who owns mw2 so we can all thank them personally.

i'll pick it up when they feel like nuking the price accordingly.

I blame Kotick.

Seriously . . . I don't think this will sell. MW2 was a monster, it is very multi-player oriented, and it was in the FPS segment that really started on PCs.

I mean come on. Hell, Bioshock 2 is almost 1/2 that price when purchased in a 4-pack on Steam.

legend166 said:

Er....this isn't some vacuum here, GAF has plenty of long time standing forum goers, no need to try to segregate something that doesn't need to be. Console gamers had to suck it up when publishers rose it from $50 near the beginning of this generation as is. It sucked then and it sucks now.

MoFuzz said:
In the first one, the framerate was definitely less than 60fps a good chunk of the time.

Also, there should have been be an easier way to quit to menu/Windows, other than Alt+F4or Ctrl+Alt+Del, etc.

Meh, was personally gonna wait for a Steam sale anyways, but it's still rotten for those who wanna go Day 1 for PC. Especially since it'll be four good months after console release.

What was your set-up?

I'm running only on a Athlon 64x2 6000 (3Ghz), 2GB of RAM, and a 512MB 8800GT, running around 720p, and unless I max out the shadows and AA; with v-sync on, I get 30fps and above fairly well.

On consoles it would tear and drop to like mid-20's. I'm sure it could have been further optimized, I'm definitely not spec'd enough to do 60fps in a more consistent manner save more for inside buildings, but the performance seemed alright.

Top Bottom