• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Zapages

faceless007 said:
Goddamn, just got off the phone and the Gamestop Collector's Editions are all sold out. I didn't know those things ever sold out (I remember seeing a bunch of the first game's months after it came out).

This is what persuaded me to order from Amazon today... I am going to get the extras as DLC later in year or next year.... :)

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Pre-ordered the Black Edition from Play.com but they've declined my account. Fuck them.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Has it been revealed what the PSP connectivity is with the PS3 version yet? Still debating which version based on that.

Toski

beelzebozo said:
i said this earlier in the thread, but my problem with AC wasn't the repetitive gameplay--hell, i love some games that have some damn repetitive gameplay--it's that the reasons i was doing the things i was doing (whether it was picking a pocket or eavesdropping) never seemed to "stick," and the motivation was clearly just a very poor veil for the game structure. wait, who is this guy? why am i picking his pocket? none of this matters; he's just some dude i have to press x behind, because that's what the game wants me to do.

it could be the structure, being so similar each time, played into this. of course if you know what you'll be doing, who is who and why they are important will seem somewhat irrelevant. but it still should be said that repetitive gameplay isn't always so bad if it's well introduced and integrated, and if it's interesting to play.

thankfully all indications are that this problem has been fixed, which is wonderful news.
What I got out of the investigations are that the people you are pickpocketing/eavesdropping either work for the assasination target or have something against the target. Story wise they are irrelevent, but they do fit in the world and some of the investigations were useful if you were trying to stealth assasinate. Like with pickpocketing you get either a map of the guard posts or the game blatantly telling you which path to take to the target. With eavesdropping you get interesting tidbits about the assasination location or escape route, although these were totally useless as you would just run right past everything looking for a hiding spot.

I am kind of disappointed the game will take a more linear level approach instead of the investigations, but Ubisoft made the first too repetitive by including the GPS and they had to fix the game structure.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
newsguy said:
Damn... I don't know how you guys do it. I'm rabidly awaiting this one. I couldn't wait that long knowing the console versions are out. Not to mention shit getting spoiled between now and then.
Yeah, its going to be a bit hard for me on this game. I loved Assassin's Creed.

But, I will wait. I must. It is what we do.

timkunedo

lots of streams up on justin.tv . I've seen too much already.... Blackout starts now. Game is freaking amazing from what i've seen so far.

Just watched X-Plays complete coverage of it. Looks a lot better than the original in terms of gameplay. Cannot wait! Assassin's Creed 2 and God of War Collection on Tuesday :D

Who is getting what version? PS3 or 360?

Toski

Square Triangle said:
Just watched X-Plays complete coverage of it. Looks a lot better than the original in terms of gameplay. Cannot wait! Assassin's Creed 2 and God of War Collection on Tuesday :D

Zapages

Square Triangle said:

PS3 here... Don't own a 360... So yeah.

Square Triangle said:

I pre-ordered for PS3, but lately was having concerns about performance and was considering switching to 360. In the end, my love for the Dualshock, and the connectivity to Bloodlines for exclusive weapons sealed the deal. I really don't think AC2 on PS3 will run as bad as the first.

Ahh, these streams are so tempting. I fucking can't wait for this. They really took this series and made it something awesome. The hype is through the damn roof. I mean being able to renovate a villa? Fuck yes sign me up! I think we'll be getting a great bang for our buck.

paparazzo

Square Triangle said:

PS3 here. I'm curios, why isn't the PC version day and date with the console versions?

Costanza

Banned
Square Triangle said:

360 for me.

The Skater said:
PS3 here. I'm curios, why isn't the PC version day and date with the console versions?

They "want more time to release the best product". Obviously, the definitive edition will be PC upon release. That's ok though, if they add something like they did in AC1 I'll bite.

The Skater said:
I think they said they needed more time for QA and optimization. If that's the truth I'm glad, but of course the real reason is to stop day-one piracy.

Just started watching the Gamespot on the spot segment. I have to say I was a little concerned to see the overly forgiving behaviour of the guards from the first instalment on display here once again. On multiple occasions Ezio was surrounded by guards, only be attacked one at a time and in another instance he was knocked over and surrounded yet the guards did nothing, giving him ample time to get up and run away. I can only hope this was simply due to an easy level of difficulty or an early stage of the game being played.

In any case I'll have a good week to get some user impressions before it's released here, I'm hoping for the best.

Ranger X

eshwaaz said:
That's encouraging, though they definitely have a lot to prove. Batman: Arkham Asylum set a new standard for that brand of close combat.

I wonder what's up with everyone about combat...

Is it the only thing that matters? This game isn't even a beat'em up and it's like people are waiting for it to become Batman or God of War and whatnot. wtf.

-------------

The combat has been made better, more types of ennemis and you need to use different strategies to kill them. Lots of new weapons too. There's also a more advanced melee system that now includes alot of grab based attacks. It's not a completely new combat system from scratch, its the sequel to AC1 after all. It's the same type of game, same style of control, etc. It does not suddendly become GTA or Uncharted, it's fucking Assassin.

Ranger X said:
I wonder what's up with everyone about combat...

Is it the only thing that matters? This game isn't even a beat'em up and it's like people are waiting for it to become Batman or God of War and whatnot. wtf.

-------------

The combat has been made better, more types of ennemis and you need to use different strategies to kill them. Lots of new weapons too. There's also a more advanced melee system that now includes alot of grab based attacks. It's not a completely new combat system from scratch, its the sequel to AC1 after all. It's the same type of game, same style of control, etc. It does not suddendly become GTA or Uncharted, it's fucking Assassin.

Well put. SO true; an assassin doesn't go in guns blazing usually. I think they give you the opportunity to play this way in the new game; in AC1 you ended up getting spotted and no matter how hard I tried I could never do a straight stealth assassination. Just watch Ezio fist fight and you'll see the improvements clearly. There's no reason Ezio needs to be bum-rushed every fight.

Ranger X

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Well put. SO true; an assassin doesn't go in guns blazing usually. I think they give you the opportunity to play this way in the new game; in AC1 you ended up getting spotted and no matter how hard I tried I could never do a straight stealth assassination. Just watch Ezio fist fight and you'll see the improvements clearly. There's no reason Ezio needs to be bum-rushed every fight.

The new notoriety system really fixes that problem from AC1. You're not notorious (as in "you didn't caused trouble and were stealthy") therefore you can run right in front of any guards no prob. You can even bump into them no prob!!

I've been on a media blackout so this might have already been answered, but despite the heavily redesigned combat and weapons system, I hope it's still possible (and encouraged) to do stealthy kills. I loved the Throwing Knives and Hidden Blade in the first game because I could take out 4 or 5 guards in a few seconds and then run away before anyone noticed.

Zabka

Ranger X said:
Batman: AA did stealth and combat better than AC1, so I'd say it's a fair comparison.

Well to clarify stance, my concerns aren't about the combat system so much but more to do with the overly forgiving guards. I just found it absurd in the first game that you could take down countless numbers of enemies as they lined up to attack you one at a time. Simply put the game just wasn't much of a challenge at all and became less interesting as a result. I'm just hoping they've ramped up that difficulty.

jett

D-Member
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

In AC1 the quickest way to do things is to go "guns blazing" everytime, since the game doesn't penalize you for it or reward you for going against it. Once you have the counterkill ability it's all over for the AI. :p It's actually quicker to kill everyone in sight than run around like a retard looking for a spot to hide in. To be honest it's actually kind fun to go "Rambo" in AC1. I wonder if this has been altered in AC2.

timkunedo

jett said:
In AC1 the quickest way to do things is to go "guns blazing" everytime, since the game doesn't penalize you for it or reward you for going against it. Once you have the counterkill ability it's all over for the AI. :p It's actually quicker to kill everyone in sight than run around like a retard looking for a spot to hide in. To be honest it's actually kind fun to go "Rambo" in AC1. I wonder if this has been altered in AC2.

I've see at least one mission that ended if you were exposed. Reloaded to the last checkpoint.

DancingJesus said:
Quick question:

Can you still ride a horse?

Yes, i've seen a video of him riding a horse.

RainbowByte

Neo Member
Ranger X said:
The new notoriety system really fixes that problem from AC1. You're not notorious (as in "you didn't caused trouble and were stealthy") therefore you can run right in front of any guards no prob. You can even bump into them no prob!!

yes and when you bump into them, they will bully you around and shove you, and talk shit/scold you if you stand still after running into a wandering guard patrol. if you nudge them again instead of standing still/walking away while they are scolding, youll enter conflict with them.

The guards also will scold/warn you if you harass the peasants (making the ones that are carrying stuff drop their items or roughing them up in their presence in some cases).

Guards also investigate dead bodies (kill someone on a rooftop and drop the body in the street) and if you are near the body when they discover it, they will harass you verbally/physically, accusing you of maybe being involved,etc.

There are some larger scale battles in the game (15+ vs 15+) where you can use the 'fog of war' and run around and shank enemies in the back while they are fighting someone else on your side in larger conflicts.
Personally I feel the difficulty ramps up more later in the game, people like me that eat up games like god of war/DMC can tend to feel ac2 is a bit on the easy side at the start.

jett

D-Member
dear god that onthespot video is painful to watch. the guy playing is a complete imbecile.

timkunedo said:
I've see at least one mission that ended if you were exposed. Reloaded to the last checkpoint.

ehh...I don't know if I like the sound of that.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
RainbowByte said:
Yes, also if you ride a horse and dismount it, and run around on foot - the horse will follow after you naturally.

What if you run it past a guard on it? One of the most annoying parts of AC1. :lol

RainbowByte

Neo Member
Papercuts said:
What if you run it past a guard on it? One of the most annoying parts of AC1. :lol
If you literally run over the guards while on horseback they kinda get pissed about that and chase after you. :lol

If you aren't notorious and aren't actively being sought out, you can haul past them full speed on horseback and they wont care.

Ranger X

jett said:
ehh...I don't know if I like the sound of that.

This is simply a mission where one of your objective is to not be detected. It's just one of the multiple mission styles you get in the game.

Toski

Ranger X said:
This is simply a mission where one of your objective is to not be detected. It's just one of the multiple mission styles you get in the game.

So is there any acheivements/trophies for being a "blade in the crowd" or is using stealth just mandatory?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Okay, I should be picking up my copy tomorrow. I'll be giving first impressions and pics of the box and shit.

I'm just getting the plain jane 360 version though :(

Black_Ice said:
Okay, I should be picking up my copy tomorrow. I'll be giving first impressions and pics of the box and shit.

I'm just getting the plain jane 360 version though :(

Wish I was one of those getting the game days early :( Oh how painful it is. Brown/tan dyes will be mine!

Ranger X

Toski said:
So is there any acheivements/trophies for being a "blade in the crowd" or is using stealth just mandatory?

In the case of a mission where you're asked to be stealthy, you might be "mission failed" if you're detected. It's the only instance where being stealthy is mandatory.
As for the achievement, I don't know them by heart but I am sure there's no achievement for killing a number of crowd people. The game doesn't encourage killing civilians and if you take the liberty to do it too much, you will be desynched from your memory.

DrBo42

Just played for a few hours. The story is much more focused and driven this time around. You actually want to hunt these people down, not just because someone tells you to. As for the motivation behind it, I won't say anything in case people are on a complete story info blackout.

Some things I noticed right off the bat:
-The city is absolutely beautiful (Florence)
-The city feels much more lived in. Gone is the constant echo of "THIEF, I'LL HAVE YOUR HANDS FOR THAT!" You'll actually pick up unique chatter. I believe a Herald mentioned something about crop yields being lower than expected, so the florins per pound or whatever measurement he mentioned would be higher than usual.
-Climbing is MUCH faster
-Ezio is a bit of a sarcastic ass, but not nearly as bad as Altair. Ezio is very likable after you spend some time in his shoes.

So far the game is shaping up to be what the original should have. Now I don't want that to sound like this is a redo, it doesn't really come off that way. It's just a much more focused effort this time around, and it shows. After a while I found myself asking "What now?" much like the first game, but not for the same reason. In AC1 I asked myself that question because I had seen everything the game offered within an hour, here I ask the same question because I have so much to do, and so little time. :D

Chromax

Square Triangle said:

PS3, also getting the Assassin's Creed PSP pack for some connectivity! :D

Toski

Ranger X said:
In the case of a mission where you're asked to be stealthy, you might be "mission failed" if you're detected. It's the only instance where being stealthy is mandatory.
As for the achievement, I don't know them by heart but I am sure there's no achievement for killing a number of crowd people. The game doesn't encourage killing civilians and if you take the liberty to do it too much, you will be desynched from your memory.

:lol :lol Actually the "Blade in the Crowd" achievement was for performing a stealth assasination on the target without having your cover blown by fighting guards and having the target fight/run away. Do you know if there is any achievements like that?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm okay for a forced restart with some specifically labeled stealth missions. I hated it in AC1 when I'd try and do something stealthily, but then stuff up and have no way to retry quickly.

Having just watched the new vid on Game Trailers, my hype has literally just exploded in a shower of seminal fluid.

Must. Have. Game.

Is review embargo on the day of release (in US) again?

Solo

Square Triangle said:

360, for these reasons:
- I own the first one on 360, and Im too anal to have one game for the 360 and its sequel for the PS3
- 360 version of the original was superior
- My last 7 purchases have been for my PS3, so its time my 360 gets some love (in fact, I believe my last 360 game was Fallout 3)

Top Bottom