• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

conman

Balb said:
Wasn't the whole "modern day" angle at the beginning of the game meant to justify why the map and map markers are there in the first place? I'm pretty sure that's the way the developers intended the game to be, especially because they're on by default.
Didn't fit in with the fiction or the experience.

This time, though, they've attempted to explain the HUD and menus a bit better by saying they're being provided by the researcher guy. Which also explains all the snide comments he makes in the historical commentary, along with the slang and four-letter words appearing in descriptions of palaces and historical figures. So you're right if you're talking about AC2, but it wasn't justified (or even necessary) in the first game.

But to me, the mini-map and GPS and other HUD elements are too "game-y" feeling. The first one (once you turned off that stuff) was remarkable for feeling like an experience rather than a conventional game.

Zeliard

sangreal said:
Why even bother with the health meter, its not like you're going to die in combat in this game :lol

Yeah, my only real complaint about this game is that the combat is still too easy, even at the start when you barely have a health bar and only one weapon. I'd normally expect it to get tougher as it goes on, but in this case, I can only imagine it getting easier as you're upgrading your health and armor and such. The basic "block, wait, and counter" strategy is essentially unstoppable yet again, as it was in the first.

I love the tons of new combat and death animations, though, as well as the different weapons. While there isn't a big gameplay distinction between using a sword or a hammer, just the amazing audio and visual of you bludgeoning someone's skull in makes it well-worth using the latter.

Mifune

Mehmber
I tried playing AC1 without a HUD. That was about as much fun as running blindfolded through a sword factory.

You guys who loved to play it that way must have some second sight shit going on, because my experience said there's no way that was how that game was meant to be played.

Balb

As far as combat goes, I found it funny that during that mission where that guy (forgot his name) teaches you some combat tactics (such as taunting, running away etc), he claims that "combat is more than just attacking." When the screen prompted me to "finish him off", I just proceeded to mash the X button repeatedly until I beat him, which completely goes against what he said.

Mana Sin

Balb said:
As far as combat goes, I found it funny that during that mission where that guy (forgot his name) teaches you some combat tactics (such as taunting, running away etc), he claims that "combat is more than just attacking." When the screen prompted me to "finish him off", I just proceeded to mash the X button repeatedly until I beat him, which completely goes against what he said.

"You don't recognize me? It's a me, Mario!"

sangreal said:
Why even bother with the health meter, its not like you're going to die in combat in this game :lol

You die if you forget you have medicine and aren't aware that going into a fight with 1 health bar is a bad idea.

conman

Mifune said:
I tried playing AC1 without a HUD. That was about as much fun as running blindfolded through a sword factory.

You guys who loved to play it that way must have some second sight shit going on, because my experience said there's no way that was how that game was meant to be played.
I won't explain it all here, but there were all kinds of sound and visual clues in that game if you knew where to look. Those could only have been put there if they were intended to let you play without HUD/map combo. Otherwise, they'd serve no purpose.

Anyhow, I'm determined to find a way to make it work for AC2. It may not have been "designed that way" this time around, but I won't let that stop me. :D

Also, I'm dying to get a deeper story discussion/speculation thread going once I've finished up. I was already pretty familiar with the early Venetian banking system and the cultural history of double-entry bookkeeping, and I've also done quite a bit of reading about Leon Battista Alberti's work. Seeing all those names and ideas pop up in this game is awesome. Can't wait to see where the story goes!

Zeliard

conman said:
Didn't fit in with the fiction or the experience.

This time, though, they've attempted to explain the HUD and menus a bit better by saying they're being provided by the researcher guy. Which also explains all the snide comments he makes in the historical commentary, along with the slang and four-letter words appearing in descriptions of palaces and historical figures. So you're right if you're talking about AC2, but it wasn't justified (or even necessary) in the first game.

But to me, the mini-map and GPS and other HUD elements are too "game-y" feeling. The first one (once you turned off that stuff) was remarkable for feeling like an experience rather than a conventional game.

It was the same thing in AC1, though - they just didn't make as big a point of it. But everything in the Animus 1.0 itself was also designed for it, same as 2.0. The HUD, the menus, etc - in the game's story and lore, what we consider typical video game conventions like those are a part of the game's own virtual reality and occasionally referenced by the characters. Shit's pretty meta.

conman

Zeliard said:
Shit's pretty meta.
You're right there. Considering the plot of the whole series revolves around
pieces of Eden
that make everything "meta," you're even more right than you maybe intended. It's all about worlds within worlds within worlds and about who has the power to control our experience of those worlds. Shit's damn meta.

Zeliard

I am so not highlighting that spoiler. :D

Btw, does the full The Truth video live up to its own hype? I'm intrigued by its first few frames.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Zeliard said:

Btw, does the full The Truth video live up to its own hype? I'm intrigued by its first few frames.
Seems cool, though I think it's obvious what the video is about after you see the first frame.

conman

Zeliard said:

It's a spoiler from the first game. I've only spent 4-5 hours in the new one. :D

Y2Kev said:
Seems cool, though I think it's obvious what the video is about after you see the first frame.

Uhh I didn't think it was at all obvious, maybe I'm stupid, the end is the real "kicker" though. It does live up to the hype, I feel bad for people that don't go and find all of them, the puzzles alone are worth it. Not sure why but I had a lot of fun solving those riddles.

Zeliard

Y2Kev said:

I have to admit I have no idea what the fuck it could be after the first couple frames. :lol

Maybe I'm just slow. :(

Edit: Kev, stop making us feel bad.

ultron87

Terrordactyl said:
Uhh I didn't think it was at all obvious, maybe I'm stupid, the end is the real "kicker" though. It does live up to the hype, I feel bad for people that don't go and find all of them, the puzzles alone are worth it. Not sure why but I had a lot of fun solving those riddles.

The codes hidden within the puzzles are more entertaining than the puzzles themselves. At least they are to me.

Ranger X

conman said:
Anyhow, I'm determined to find a way to make it work for AC2. It may not have been "designed that way" this time around, but I won't let that stop me. :D

What I would personally do is to turn off everything but the little radar. (but nothing would give you an indication how much you're hurt).
Or you play only with the health meter and nothing else.

Zeliard

Terrordactyl said:

And the codex pages you can find are supposed to be a big deal too, I've heard.

Zeliard

DrPirate said:
Very big deal.

Get them all, it's worth it.

I certainly plan on it. :)

Normally I don't care for collectibles, but in this game every single one seems to either impact the gameplay or the storytelling itself (which is how it should be), so it's all gravy.

Collecting things in a game just for the sake of collecting them has never been fun to me (hence why I don't much care for trophies and achievements). But they are fun to scavenge for when they are meaningful in some way.

Sean

Banned
I've got 19/22 weapons and it's only showing one more available for purchase.

Are the others story related and show up at some point, or am I missing something? =/

edit: 3/4 of the Misasaglias armor pieces too I need.

jiien

I'm at the part where
you have just listened to the Templar's meeting after the first Assassin's Tomb
, but I've spent the last...five hours, at least, not progressing the storyline, and running around getting chests, getting all the viewpoints I can get to...etc. I just love this game. I don't even want to progress the storyline. I have too much fun assassinating the guards that are standing in front of some of the chests. So damn fun.

Throwing knives are the shit.
And dual hidden blades...I never want to use any other weapon, because these are just too cool. And I assume they get upgraded, which is even more awesome.
Can't. Fucking. Wait.

Edit: Oh, two quick questions. There seem to be codex pages and treasure chests at the banks in
Tuscany and Florence
, but I can't seem to get to them. Am I supposed to take out the three guards that are always in front of the banks? Walking up to them makes them aggressively push me away (all guards in this game are such douches). So am I supposed to assassinate my way into these banks? Or can I assume that I will eventually be given a storyline event where I now have access to the insides of the banks?

And second. There seems to be a chest in a tower behind
my villa at Monteferrione (forgot the spelling)
But climbing in and around the tower all over, I can't find one. I've noticed that it was necessary to
get a bunch of renovations to enable me to get into some of the other towers
. Perhaps I just have to keep getting more stuff? I have all but two in that area, and all but like four in
Tuscany
, and I think it's because of banks and stuff.

Oh, and another thing. I know I asked earlier whether treasure chest respawn, and then with someone's help, realized I was being an idiot and that they don't. I do notice however that either after certain storyline events, or perhaps certain
renovations
more appear. Just a note. I wonder why that is. I mean, we have counts for each of the areas...maybe I'm waiting for more to appear in certain areas? Not sure.

jett

D-Member
FINITO

Final stats: 29 hours, 96% completion. Nope, didn't rush through the story missions as you can see. :p I think this is the best way to enjoy the game, take your time to do lots of side missions, a lot of them are actually pretty inventive, rarely are the side-assassinations the same. Don't know what am I gonna do with all that MANNY MANNY MONEDA COIN!

What a difference from the previous game. The first one was some sort of weird experiment in the non-existent assassination genre. AC2 on the other hand is a proper, epic action adventure game. Gone entirely is the three-step game structure as Patrice Desilets said, chucked away into a black hole. The progression here flows very nicely according to the plot, a revenge tale that keeps escalating all the way into the stratosphere. It has proper cut-scenes to move the story along which thankfully are all pretty short, there's really no need for an option to skip them. Presentation is great and some of the characters are truly memorable. Especially Leonardo. The game needs more Leonardo. More I say.

This game is impossibly beautiful, pictures and online videos aren't enough to truly appreciate the work that has gone into the game. However, I don't know if we should applaud Ubisoft for that or the many architects that worked on the real life cities the game takes place in. :p I'm guessing that choosing Venice and Florence made their job easier to make this game looks all kinds of pretty. Venice is the true star of the game, as huge as it is beautiful, bigger than anything in the first game. Just massive, it almost seems like Ubi Montreal rendered the whole thing. :p Many times I got shivers just looking at some of the structures, coupled with Jesper Kyd's masterpiece of a soundtrack

The core gameplay is relatively unchanged from AC1, that's a good thing though, at least for me as the combat and the freerunning were the two things...well...the only things I loved about it. :p The cities in AC2 REALLY exploit the freerunning though, and so do the missions. You feel even more like a badass running over the italian rooftops. The level design in the game is expertly made. There are also some linear platforming areas in the game, which by the way, have better platforming than all the Prince of Persia games combined. Yes, all of them. So good. I feel sorry for the current PoP team, there's just no point to them anymore. :p

What a fucking great game, truly. It's one of those sequels that renders the previous game useless and worthless. It improves upon it in every single aspect, and actually goes beyond what you hoped for. I guess all I have left now are some side-missions and feathers.

Here are the only issues I have with it:

- A disappointing framerate on the PS3 version. Still manageable and playable, but it's really annoying that they still couldn't bring it up to par with the 360. The slowdown and stuttering annoys.

- A somewhat unsatisfying ending. It's not bad like AC1, but it doesn't bring any conclusion to Ezio's life, which I was hoping for. The broken videos you keep collecting also spoil much of it. :p

Anyway, Assassins Creed 2 and Uncharted 2 may be my two favorite games this generation so far. It's an excellent season for us gamers that care little for multiplayer-oriented crap and prefer awesome single player experiences. :)

jett

D-Member
Ranger X said:
It's very simple guys. Some games have 2 character models, one in-game (lower poly lower detail) and another set for cut-scenes (high-res, more details). Uncharted 2 is a prime example of this.
In AC2, it's there's only one set of characters. They look a bit worse in cut-scenes but it's only because the camera is near.

I'll correct you there, my man. Uncharted 2 uses the same character models for cut-scenes and gameplay. Doesn't take anything away from AC2, the game has to be able to show fuckloads of people at the same time. It's also a multiplatform game. :p

snej

Neo Member
Lostconfused said:
White. Until I got the altair armor, then i just switched to the Altair model.

Do you unlock dye for your clothes at the tailor´s when you unlock the Altair armor?

Zeliard

snej said:
Do you unlock dye for your clothes at the tailor´s when you unlock the Altair armor?

The dyes are available at any time from the tailors. I bought the red dye very soon after Ezio first puts the assassin's gear on.

payed 3.5 hors on ps3 tonight... not sure what the frame rate bitching is about? smooth with RARE drops, but those aren't what you;d call major...?

snej

Neo Member
Zeliard said:
The dyes are available at any time from the tailors. I bought the red dye very soon after Ezio first puts the assassin's gear on.

I know that, I actually finished the game like an hour ago, but I´ve seen some Youtube videos where some guys have a really cool dye for their clothes and I didn´t find it in the game myself.

jiien

Zeliard said:
What color dye do you guys have on Ezio most of the time? I bought the red dye early in the game and I love that look. :p

I've been using the dark brown one I got in the beginning. Nearest I can get so far to being black, which I kind of like to contrast the constant white I was in the first game. Nothing like running around in black assassin clothes at night.

Mana Sin

snej said:
I know that, I actually finished the game like an hour ago, but I´ve seen some Youtube videos where some guys have a really cool dye for their clothes and I didn´t find it in the game myself.

I'm pretty sure every town has it's own dyes for the most part. In Florence I had some Emerald color and now in Venenzia I'm rocking Venetian Wine.

jett

D-Member
Oh yeah...this game is way too easy, the only times I've died is from falling from a really high place. :p 15 potions, really? I guess I could've forced myself to not buy them, but meh. :p Even easier than the first AC1, as I already have the counter timing down pat. Another weird thing is I don't know why they bothered with the "training" sequences when Ezio has ALL of Altair's abilities right there from the start. I guess they forgot to disable them? :p You can even steal your enemies' weapons before Ezio is taught how to do that.

Zeliard said:
What color dye do you guys have on Ezio most of the time? I bought the red dye early in the game and I love that look. :p

Black. Ezio looks like a fucking badass.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
jett said:
Black. Ezio looks like a fucking badass.

Great impressions jett... any comments on the hand to hand stuff? Is it still crap? Only part of the combat I didn't enjoy from AC1.

sangreal

The red Florence dye looks badass with Ezio's normal gear and the red cape. I think I switched to Wetlands Ivory or Wetlands Ebony once I got Altair's armor, since I wanted the achievement anyway

Zeliard said:
Where'd you get black dye?

Romagna/Forli

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Zeliard said:

I have the wetland ivory suit on, looks nice.

recklessmind said:
Great impressions jett... any comments on the hand to hand stuff? Is it still crap? Only part of the combat I didn't enjoy from AC1.

Disarm makes hand combat my preferred choice in this. :lol

sangreal

Sean said:
I've got 19/22 weapons and it's only showing one more available for purchase.

Are the others story related and show up at some point, or am I missing something? =/

edit: 3/4 of the Misasaglias armor pieces too I need.

21 of the weapons are unlocked as the game progresses. For the 22nd, you need 50 feathers

Dead

well not really...yet
Zeliard said:
I love the Ebony and Ivory dye from Forli

jett

D-Member
Yeah in Forli you'll get the Black/Ebony dye.

BTW, anyone else noticed how this game is primed for DLC? There's two sequences missing from the DNA strain...no doubt they'll be releasing those for a fee. :p Bring it on I say, been a while since I bought anything off PSN.

recklessmind said:

A LOT better. Not even the same. You actually have pretty cool punching combos instead of the same boring two-punches Altair had. You even have counter finishers for your fists, AND you can grab your opponents and either punch them, knee them or headbutt them. :p Oh yeah, most importantly, you can disarm your opponents and then hack them to death with their own weapons. Like a baus.

sangreal

jett said:
A LOT better. Not even the same. You actually have pretty cool punching combos instead of the same boring two-punches Altair had. You even have counter finishers for your fists, AND you can grab your opponents and either punch them, knee them or headbutt them. :p Oh yeah, most importantly, you can disarm your opponents and then hack them to death with their own weapons. Like a baus.

and there are fist weapons too

well, at least one

Top Bottom