• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Mirage |OT| Basim, the Origin

cormack12

Gold Member

EQlbgay.png

5Qhg3Dw.png

EqPK85s.png

vosqXc1.png

WyK2UBN.png

QzuzuPz.png

bzZWXaC.png

3og8k8F.png

GZI717b.png

CW3M5WE.png

SJRB

Gold Member
Cool OT, nice job.

For anyone on the fence: you could subscribe to Ubi+ for 15 bucks, play the game and cancel the sub when you're done.

Certinty

After playing the first four or so hours, the best way I can put this is if you enjoyed the old-school Assassin's Creed formula, you'll enjoy this.

Personally as someone who liked 2, Brotherhood, Revelations, Black Flag and Syndicate, this is right up my alley.

The biggest 'issue' probably is that the game hasn't really evolved since any of those, the AI is still dodgy, the voice acting isn't good and the story and combat are serviceable at best. It feels like a game that was and should have been released five years ago right after Syndicate.

But hey, I've missed these kind of games. I didn't mind Origins, Odyssey was somewhat good and I despised Valhalla but what I hated about all three was how dragged out they were with so much repetitive shit and a 10 hour story made several times longer due to the necessary grind. I'm not even joking here when I say in the first four hours here the story has progressed more than it did in my first 40 with Valhalla (and thank God I dropped it after that), this is exactly what Assassin's Creed should be.

But yeah, bottom line is if you're looking for an Assassin's Creed game like the older ones and can look through the flaws, you'll enjoy this like me and many others are.

SCB3

After playing the first four or so hours, the best way I can put this is if you enjoyed the old-school Assassin's Creed formula, you'll enjoy this.

Personally as someone who liked 2, Brotherhood, Revelations, Black Flag and Syndicate, this is right up my alley.

The biggest 'issue' probably is that the game hasn't really evolved since any of those, the AI is still dodgy, the voice acting isn't good and the story and combat are serviceable at best. It feels like a game that was and should have been released five years ago right after Syndicate.

But hey, I've missed these kind of games. I didn't mind Origins, Odyssey was somewhat good and I despised Valhalla but what I hated about all three was how dragged out they were with so much repetitive shit and a 10 hour story made several times longer due to the necessary grind. I'm not even joking here when I say in the first four hours here the story has progressed more than it did in my first 40 with Valhalla (and thank God I dropped it after that), this is exactly what Assassin's Creed should be.

But yeah, bottom line is if you're looking for an Assassin's Creed game like the older ones and can look through the flaws, you'll enjoy this like me and many others are.
I completely agree with this take, I enjoyed the Origins, Odessey and Valhalla games but this is a return to the game loop I enjoy more

Maybe the best “dad with young kids” game to come around in a while.

1. It feels and plays like old AC games you loved before you had kids

2. It doesn’t take 300 hours to complete, you will actually finish it at some point with your limited game time

3. It’s a little bit cheaper than most new releases too, gotta save that cash for kid crap

Recommended

TVexperto

Maybe the best “dad with young kids” game to come around in a while.

1. It feels and plays like old AC games you loved before you had kids

2. It doesn’t take 300 hours to complete, you will actually finish it at some point with your limited game time

3. It’s a little bit cheaper than most new releases too, gotta save that cash for kid crap

Recommended
Sorry but it does not feel and play like old AC games, its really just a reskinned valhalla and you can see it in the way its anmiated

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Crazy that we havent had a new Creed in three years

Three years.

So far it's pretty alright. If your wheelhouse is the original trilogy you'll feel right at home.

I also suggest switching up the controls a bit. I put sprint on R2, Eagle vision on L3 and the weapon wheel on d-pad left.

Last edited:

phant0m

Crazy that we havent had a new Creed in three years

Three years.

So far it's pretty alright. If your wheelhouse is the original trilogy you'll feel right at home.

I also suggest switching up the controls a bit. I put sprint on R2, Eagle vision on L3 and the weapon wheel on d-pad left.
The last AC game I really enjoyed (and actually finished) was Syndicate.

Having a pretty good time with this so far.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Once you actually become an Assassin I literally spent hours fucking around with people, exploring and seeing what I could get away with.
Reminded me of the first Assassin's Creed.
Although I did like Origins I wasn't a fan of Odyssey & Valhalla.
The game is built off that but it's no way like them and is more like the AC of old.
Good stuff so far

Last edited:
Sorry but it does not feel and play like old AC games, its really just a reskinned valhalla and you can see it in the way its anmiated
So much conflicting opinion I keep reading "plays like Valhalla" vs "plays like older games".

Is it maybe Valhalla style retooled somewhat to play more like the older games (or no free climb, etc)?

I really wish they would have kept the missing ring finger from the original. It added to the attention to detail and dedication that the assassins had for their cause. They could stab and punch at the same time which was a bad ass way to take out enemies.

Nevermind, they have it. that's awesome.

Last edited:
How bad is the xray vision stuff?
It's honestly quite awful, the batman detective mode was a blight on gaming that rocksteady created, because there's no real reason to ever turn it off; this unironically makes valhalla the better stealth game since you didn't have a free constant wallhack there.
I try to limit my use of it, but the game is obviously designed around you being able to see through walls, so then the dilemma becomes either use the wallhack and it becomes braindead easy, or don't use it and have the flow of the game feel off.

But yeah, it's nothing like "the old games" lol, aside from the wallhack stuff it plays almost exactly the same as valhalla

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I really wish they would have kept the missing ring finger from the original. It added to the attention to detail and dedication that the assassins had for their cause. They could stab and punch at the same time which was a bad ass way to take out enemies.

Nevermind, they have it. that's awesome.

This might be the first time you actually have to lop it off. And you gotta do it yourself too.

In the original game, Altair's finger was already missing. In the sequels that followed didnt they always make it a "Gotcha! Just kidding, we're not that brutal!" joke moment?

BV68t25.jpg

SCB3

It always throws me about this Era being the same as the Viking era and Ming Dynasty, especially seeing those pieces and people in Baghdad, small world

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Still waiting on my Gamefly rental....

Mr Bean Waiting GIF by MOODMAN

Did you get yours ? My mail usually comes between 1~2PM EST. If it misses today, I'm probably looking at possibly waiting all the way to Tuesday since Monday is Columbus day :(

Last edited:
This might be the first time you actually have to lop it off. And you gotta do it yourself too.

In the original game, Altair's finger was already missing. In the sequels that followed didnt they always make it a "Gotcha! Just kidding, we're not that brutal!" joke moment?

BV68t25.jpg
LOVE IT. I might actually pick this one up down the line.

Last edited:

SCB3

Now I've put a good 7 hours in since release I have a few more thoughts

• The game looks and runs great! I tend to play at 1080p 60fps+ and yea no issue from me
  • I love the smaller contained City, AC was getting to the point of being too big and bloated, Valhalla and Odyssey especially, it took forever to get to places in Valhalla
  • Speaking of, the more linear focused story is much better, I have some purpose top do stuff and assassinate the people now
  • The less bloat, for a Ubisoft game, theres not a a lot of map to clear, thank god, I used to dread new Ubi games for that alone
  • Going back to a Series root of the stealth really helps the game feel more like a Assassin role play rather than the weird levelling thing they were doing where even sneak attacks would not kill, now if you get the drop, you get the kill, as you should
Now some things I've noticed,

• This may be the first game in which Pre-order DLC may actually be OP, I have the Sands of Time Armor, Sword and Dagger fully upgraded and I'm not removing them, the time slow on parries and the 20% HP back on Kills when they're slowed is far too powerful!
  • Basim is still very sticky, they solved this in Origins where you had to hold RT to climb, so you didn't have to stick to stuff, now it feels like I'm fucking Spiderman having an episode
    • That being said, I like the return of the almost puzzle like Viewpoints, one of my favorite things about the earlier games was figuring out how to get up a historic building

Blackage

I've never been more conflicted about buying a game before. On one hand I like the older AC games, on the other it doesn't seem like it's done much new and there's so many good games out right now and coming out later this month.

I've never been more conflicted about buying a game before. On one hand I like the older AC games, on the other it doesn't seem like it's done much new and there's so many good games out right now and coming out later this month.
I'm so conflicted too - I really want to pick this up but something is holding me back...I'm all for a return to true form for AC, too.

Luipadre

They need to go back to more personal stories and a likeable protag. These ministories in every region just doesnt work at all. I dont even know wtf happened in valhalla tbh and i played 100 hour of that game.

SCB3

They need to go back to more personal stories and a likeable protag. These ministories in every region just doesnt work at all. I dont even know wtf happened in valhalla tbh and i played 100 hour of that game.
Valhalla was a mess that wouldn't end until the DLC ending was added, 2 years later, when I had long left the game

SJRB

Gold Member
I just reached Baghdad, explored for a bit and I am bored out of my mind. I would've been all over this if it came out like 7 years ago because it really feels like a proper Assassin's Creed, but man it feels ancient now.

Legit felt bad for the devs but I speedran through the intro sections like there was no tomorrow, skipping dialogue every chance I got. It is overwhelmingly dull.

The start of this game is really, really bad. Basim is a class-a jerk, written so poorly that it reminds me of a bad cartoon - the lovable thief with a heart of gold who really wants to help the people. Man get outta here. Then the training segments which are both trying to take their time and rushing through it. It feels like halfway through the devs themselves know that it's an obligatory bit that people want to get over with ASAP, so kudos for that. I just hope Ubi finds a way around this for their next games.

Visually it looks nice because the setting is nice - great art direction and as always with AC games A-tier world building and level design. Music is beautiful. Performance-wise there's a lot of very annoying micro-stuttering going on, not sure what's up with that but it's not helping my already not overwhelming enjoyment of the game.

Basim after killing 50 innocent guards to "liberate" the people:

bane-batman.gif

SJRB

Gold Member
First mission I did in Baghdad is the exact same braindead "rescue the prisoners from this guarded area" that was in Origins, six years ago. Exact same mechanics of guards patrolling 10 feet, same wonky AI, same unrewarding stealth.

I really want to support Ubi for going back to basics with this game and it has an underdog sort of vibe, and I know this started out as a DLC and I can't knock it too much but holy shit they're making it really hard for me. Aside from the art direction, music and atmosphere there's literally nothing going on to keep me going. Aside from the location there is nothing in this game I haven't seen before. It's such a barebones experience.

Last edited:
It's honestly quite awful, the batman detective mode was a blight on gaming that rocksteady created, because there's no real reason to ever turn it off; this unironically makes valhalla the better stealth game since you didn't have a free constant wallhack there.
I try to limit my use of it, but the game is obviously designed around you being able to see through walls, so then the dilemma becomes either use the wallhack and it becomes braindead easy, or don't use it and have the flow of the game feel off.

But yeah, it's nothing like "the old games" lol, aside from the wallhack stuff it plays almost exactly the same as valhalla
[/QUSaya.

Damn it that's exactly what I was afraid of.

I just reached Baghdad, explored for a bit and I am bored out of my mind. I would've been all over this if it came out like 7 years ago because it really feels like a proper Assassin's Creed, but man it feels ancient now.

Legit felt bad for the devs but I speedran through the intro sections like there was no tomorrow, skipping dialogue every chance I got. It is overwhelmingly dull.

The start of this game is really, really bad. Basim is a class-a jerk, written so poorly that it reminds me of a bad cartoon - the lovable thief with a heart of gold who really wants to help the people. Man get outta here. Then the training segments which are both trying to take their time and rushing through it. It feels like halfway through the devs themselves know that it's an obligatory bit that people want to get over with ASAP, so kudos for that. I just hope Ubi finds a way around this for their next games.

Visually it looks nice because the setting is nice - great art direction and as always with AC games A-tier world building and level design. Music is beautiful. Performance-wise there's a lot of very annoying micro-stuttering going on, not sure what's up with that but it's not helping my already not overwhelming enjoyment of the game.

Basim after killing 50 innocent guards to "liberate" the people:

bane-batman.gif

PC or Console?

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Once you actually become an Assassin I literally spent hours fucking around with people, exploring and seeing what I could get away with.
Reminded me of the first Assassin's Creed.
Although I did like Origins I wasn't a fan of Odyssey & Valhalla.
The game is built off that but it's no way like them and is more like the AC of old.
Good stuff so far

Sounds great. I really hope they do away with the lore or retcon the story of Odyssey and Valhalla. At this point just start back over with Origins and Mirage about assassins and making the series more about stealth and... assassination than a bad open world RPG with dead/bland worlds.

ManaByte

Haven't had a crash in a few hours, and I'm loving it.

Really feels more like Origins, but with better combat. None of the bloat of the last two either. Looks great and the music is AMAZING.

First mission I did in Baghdad is the exact same braindead "rescue the prisoners from this guarded area" that was in Origins, six years ago. Exact same mechanics of guards patrolling 10 feet, same wonky AI, same unrewarding stealth.

I really want to support Ubi for going back to basics with this game and it has an underdog sort of vibe, and I know this started out as a DLC and I can't knock it too much but holy shit they're making it really hard for me. Aside from the art direction, music and atmosphere there's literally nothing going on to keep me going. Aside from the location there is nothing in this game I haven't seen before. It's such a barebones experience.
i'm not disagreeing with you. gameplay-wise, there's absolutely a whole lotta deja vu going on in mirage. but, given the disappointment i've experienced with a number of major, far more ambitious, releases recently (tears of the kingdom, diablo 4, final fantasy xvi, starfield), all i was really hoping for was a dose of that old school art direction, music, & atmosphere, & mirage, as you say, has it. yeah, it's not the most exciting game in the world, but it works, & it lets me meander round ancient baghdad, & that's really all i was looking forward to doing...

emivita

I’ve had two crashes with the XSX version today.

Try to play offline. Latest AC games used to crash a lot with internet connection, probably because they constantly sync shit to their servers. Once offline, no crashes ever.

Just_one

Man this game is so good!!

Its good to have a propor AC game back. No more rpg shit and gigantic bloated world.

The way u plan every attack , the stealth, the assassinations, everything is great!

The City is gorgeous and im only at the beginning, the mission where u have to free the prisioners.

Valhalla next to this is trash, i said back then and say it now, valhalla is terrible game and the worst AC ever made.

A few minutes into mirage and u are climbing shit, going through rooftops, having first civilization shit thrown in right at the start.

Love this game !!! More of this ubi !!

Top Bottom