• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Rogue Remastered Announced [PS4/XBO/PC]

Probably the least played AC since Unity got the media attention. Personally I hated the boats so i'm going to skip this and it will be quite hard going back to this combat after Origins.

Salmon

Did not even know that game existed! Aren't you supposed to remaster like classic/loved games of some sort?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I remember skipping it when it first came out. The trailer was interesting, but it came at an aweful time. Plus it was stuck on PS3, which isn't a bad thing at all. It's just everyone was more interested in Unity.

I picked it up on a sale on PSN. Now its coming out on PS4. I don't know about getting every single remaster when I still own a decent working version of the game. It would be a lot more convenient. I can still play it either way.

Artistic

I suppose there's a purpose, but one of those games were I feel it isn't needed.

Did it even sell well during its initial release.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Bought for 5 usd during a Xbox sale as a BC title. While this is prettier and has all the dlc, I just can’t see myself buying the game again.

mikestrife

Surprised it took this long, so many didn't play it because it was old gen when Unity was released. It's decent if you want more Black Flag like gameplay, but I remember it feeling like It has half the story missions of a typical AC game and twice as many collectibles.

TheRatedD

This had a great story, but I'll pass, having already played it on PS3. I'd like to see AC3 remastered, but at the same time, I also have it on PC, so I prolly wouldn't get it unless it has major changes. The thing that I'd absolutely love is AC1 remastered as a PS5 game.

Zambatoh

This game was completely buried by Unity coming out on the exact same day as Rogue.
To this day I have never seen a more insane boneheaded business decision then what they did to this game.
A shame too, because I really enjoyed it on PC.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm curious what's new over the PC version as PC is getting the Remaster too

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This game was completely buried by Unity coming out on the exact same day as Rogue.
To this day I have never seen a more insane boneheaded business decision then what they did to this game.
A shame too, because I really enjoyed it on PC.

What was insane about it? It was a game made on the ultra cheap for people who hadn't made the jump to X1/PS4. I had a lot of fun with the game, but there is no denying the ultra cheap feel of the game as it was basically a carbon copy of Black Flag with reused assets from each.

Having said that, it had one of the more compelling stories of all the AC games. Shay was an excellent protagonist.

Last edited:

Zambatoh

What was insane about it? It was a game made on the ultra cheap for people who hadn't made the jump to X1/PS4. I had a lot of fun with the game, but there is no denying the ultra cheap feel of the game as it was basically a carbon copy of Black Flag with reused assets from each.

Having said that, it had one of the more compelling stories of all the AC games. Shay was an excellent protagonist.

It's like if Disney released two Star Wars films on the exact same day in two separate theaters, which one do you think people will actually pay money to go see?
The answer is whichever one is getting the most attention at the time. While the other one gets buried.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It's like if Disney released two Star Wars films on the exact same day in two separate theaters, which one do you think people will actually pay money to go see?
The answer is whichever one is getting the most attention at the time. While the other one gets buried.
It's not the same though. Rogue was never intended to be a big time hit. It was done on the cheap and intended to provide 360/PS3 owners their AC fix until they got an X1/PS4.
Having said that, it is surprising that it has taken this long for the title to come to current gen, as it was a game that had been long forgotten about.

For those that played and absolutely loved Black Flag, this game is a must.

Sojiro84

Neo Member
Did not even know that game existed! Aren't you supposed to remaster like classic/loved games of some sort?

That is how it should be, yes. But you know big publishers. They smell money and will do some minimal stuff on a not that old (or great) game for some easy money.

jayjay275

Why not ACIII? That's my favourite one without a doubt alongside ACII and ACB. That said, I haven't actually bought the Ezio Collection. I'd rather they do proper remasters, like texture rework and better lighting for a start. Not to mention foliage in AC3 was a joke.

Redshirt

Banned
Black Flag and Rogue are my favorite AC titles, but I'm not a really big AC fan overall.

I think if you liked BF, you'll like Rogue. I played them almost back to back, and I enjoyed the little differences they added to Rogue to set it apart from BF.

Last edited:

Zimmy68

I have this on PS3, Xbox360/One(BC), and PC.
It always looked like the PS3 version of Black Flag even on PC. The PS4 version of Black Flag had updated assets but Rogue never did.

The real question is what will they charge?
It's probably worth $20, I would pay $15 but you know they will try $30-$40 which is crazy sauce.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Why not ACIII? That's my favourite one without a doubt alongside ACII and ACB. That said, I haven't actually bought the Ezio Collection. I'd rather they do proper remasters, like texture rework and better lighting for a start. Not to mention foliage in AC3 was a joke.
Because most people (myself included) considered AC3 to be far and away the worst AC game. They would have to fix so much for me to even consider that game. The game did have some pluses, Haytham Kenway being the best villain of all AC games.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Who asked for this? I mean, seriously? Almost no one bought the game the first time on PS3 / X360.
You answered your own question. Not many played it on 360/PS3 since many had moved on to current and Ubisoft felt they could squeeze a few extra dollars out of it.

Black Flag also had a lot of fans and this game is more or less a clone.

fe17

Neo Member
It's the only AC game I don't own, so I'll say that they've chosen the right game to remaster from that perspective.

Objectively speaking, I don't think this one is worth remastering. Guess Ubisoft wanted to make some extra cash of a game that a lot of people don't own yet?!

TGO

Because most people (myself included) considered AC3 to be far and away the worst AC game. They would have to fix so much for me to even consider that game. The game did have some pluses, Haytham Kenway being the best villain of all AC games.
Speak for yourself I consider it the high point of the series and every other was big step back, Blackflag was a rushed launch title and it shows, Origins has finally set it back on track but that title shares a lot in common with ACIII so..

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Speak for yourself I consider it the high point of the series and every other was big step back, Blackflag was a rushed launch title and it shows, Origins has finally set it back on track but that title shares a lot in common with ACIII so..
You must be getting AC3 and black flag mixed up. AC3 has some potential but the game was so terribly put together and rushed. Everything felt like patchwork, from the horrible crafting, to absolute most pointless side quest content, the homestead being the sims.

Black Flag rectified a lot of those issues, although I suppose I can agree that the main story was rather simplified (too many tailing missions).

But AC games have always lived and died by the strength of their checklist side content, which is why Unity and AC3 were so poorly received. Too much bloat and little to no pay off to doing any of it. Origins, Syndicate and Black Flag excelled at those. Although I do feel that Origins could have cut back on some of the content.

Not one person would describe AC3 and Origins as being similar. Origins was better in pretty much every way.

TGO

You must be getting AC3 and black flag mixed up. AC3 has some potential but the game was so terribly put together and rushed. Everything felt like patchwork, from the horrible crafting, to absolute most pointless side quest content, the homestead being the sims.

Black Flag rectified a lot of those issues, although I suppose I can agree that the main story was rather simplified (too many tailing missions).

But AC games have always lived and died by the strength of their checklist side content, which is why Unity and AC3 were so poorly received. Too much bloat and little to no pay off to doing any of it. Origins, Syndicate and Black Flag excelled at those. Although I do feel that Origins could have cut back on some of the content.

Not one person would describe AC3 and Origins as being similar. Origins was better in pretty much every way.
I agree it was and I haven't had as much fun with an AC game since ACIII.
I enjoy the use of the bow and hunting in Origins which hasn't been done since ACIII and the large open world with many cities for you to explore and the open world around it it has a lot in common with ACIII, it's just done better.
ACIII had its flaws but they was technical flaws.
The story and story momentum and vilians are the best in the series and it had the best combat too.
Blackflag stripped all of that away and was more focused on naval combat with very little AC gameplay or story.
Technically it was perfect but that's not surprising as little else was worked on.

Last edited:

jayjay275

True. The game was in definite need of polish. That said, to say that many considered AC3 to be the worst AC game is objectively incorrect; it's Metacritic Score sits at 85 (User 6.9), whereas Unity's sits at a score of 70 (User Score 5) and Syndicate at 76 with a User Score of 6.8. There's no disagreement there. Obviously, there is a difference between objectivity and subjectivity, and you've every right to hold an opinion, just the same as I do. But to say that AC3 is considered the worst game in the franchise is wrong when speaking statistically at least. When it comes to the sales of the game, AC3 still sold the most units in the series. Granted, sales != as how positively it is received. I just thought I'd argue that point becuase AC3 is certainly not the weakest entry in the game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Cool, I liked AC: Rogue quite a bit. It was a pretty solid mix of ACIII and Black Flag, and had some interesting locations. Shay is (in my opinion) one of the most interesting characters in the AC universe.

That being said, I already own this on PC and it's backwards compatible with Xbox One so I'm not entirely sure what the point of this remaster is.

TGO

Just an update ShopTo has it for £18
Not bad

TGO

Not really, it wasn't released on current gen so its the perfect candidate
Although if they don't do ACIII or AC1 too then it will be odd

Rellik

Plus, as you already pointed out, it's being released at a pretty cheap price.

Once it's been through a couple of sales, it'll be like £7 on PSN or a PS Plus game.

EpicBox

The original PC version already had the same graphics as Black Flag on PS4.

What is there to remaster for the PC?

prag16

Banned
Glad to see AC3 getting some love here. This narrative that it's "widely regarded as the worst in the series" was always nonsense, and was only ever true on old NeoGaf (and most of those haters have moved on). Best combat, best villains, best locales. And the right amount of naval stuff (Black Flag had way too much). Yeah the homesteading stuff was meh and there was some crappy side content. But 3 was the only one in the series that I actually was able to finish. 1, 2, and 4 bored me. Might check out Origins eventually though.

Da Fro

Great game. So happy this is finally coming out again. I know so many people missed this game. Which is sad because Black Flag was so loved and this is the better sequel. I hope it's cheaper and has some extra stuff though.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
It's basically AC: IV but with Icebergs. And basically less of everything that AC: IV had. There's some good story and lore stuff in there though. I enjoyed it, but know what you're getting into.

^Just read the same thing about Rogue's player HQ, too... Was described as pretty barebones compared to Black Flag's. (I note this just out of personal preference for home bases in games.)

Similar to the OP and a few others, I'd have probably preferred AC3... My favorite environment, the snowy forests and such, and player HQ homestead. In general, I just really like its setting.

But I suppose Rogue does make a lot of sense since, as others have said, it was probably under-received because of how Rogue released on last gen so close to Black Flag on current gen.

Kadayi

Banned
The environments in AC3 were great, but the story itself was some historical fanfic hot garbage. As a Eurolander I was utterly confused as to who most of these people were or why I would be supporting them. The assumption seemed to be that I should know them without any introduction and that's dismal storytelling in my view. To be fair Black Flag trod similar territory with its insert of historical pirate figures with little effort made to contextualise them, however, that doesn't make it any less irksome.

Top Bottom