• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Rogue Remastered Announced [PS4/XBO/PC]

Valdega

Glad to see AC3 getting some love here. This narrative that it's "widely regarded as the worst in the series" was always nonsense, and was only ever true on old NeoGaf (and most of those haters have moved on). Best combat, best villains, best locales. And the right amount of naval stuff (Black Flag had way too much). Yeah the homesteading stuff was meh and there was some crappy side content. But 3 was the only one in the series that I actually was able to finish. 1, 2, and 4 bored me. Might check out Origins eventually though.

From what I've heard and read, the biggest problem with AC3 was the mission design. Apparently it had a lot of completely linear and scripted assassinations and insta-fail stealth segments. Those are the things that people hate most about the series so that's probably why most people hate AC3.

I just finished Origins and it's easily my favorite in the series. Most of the missions are open-ended, there are no insta-fail stealth missions, both melee and ranged combat have been greatly expanded and improved, you can leave and resume missions whenever you want, etc. The side missions are also well-done and collectibles actually serve a purpose now (loot). The only thing I didn't like was the fact that you have to play as a different character at various points in the game and this character is incredibly crappy compared to your main character, especially when you're playing on Nightmare difficulty. Oh, I also didn't like how many of the abilities in the skill tree are pretty boring. Far too many passive skills that just give XP bonuses or auto-looting.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The environments in AC3 were great, but the story itself was some historical fanfic hot garbage. As a Eurolander I was utterly confused as to who most of these people were or why I would be supporting them. The assumption seemed to be that I should know them without any introduction and that's dismal storytelling in my view. To be fair Black Flag trod similar territory with its insert of historical pirate figures with little effort made to contextualise them, however, that doesn't make it any less irksome.
Despite how it sounded I do think that AC 3 had some good ideas and if you just stick to the main story and don’t worry so much about the side content and didn’t try to accomplish the terrible optional objectives the game was fine. But my biggest complaint was that the side content away from the main storyline was simply not fun and worst part the (iirc) game offered no reward for doing so other than achievements/trophy’s. No ingame credits, no better weapons, no nothing. Once I completed all the homestead stuff I was “why did I waste all of that time completing this crap?”

In AC4 I at least had fun doing side content. I enjoyed doing the under water stuff, the naval battles, hunting for Templar armor, hunting down the legendary ships and destroying the forts. Although (as is the issue with every AC GAME) they do start to get repetitive.

AC Rogue offers more of that.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I'm really excited about this. I was thinking about buying this on Xbox 360 because I never played it so good that they are remastering it. This looked interesting when it came out but I was a bit tired of AC games at that point so I didn't buy it. Assassin's Creed III remaster would also be great. That is my favorite game in the series.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Finished it on PC few years ago, it's definietly better than AC4 for me.
Maybe I'll start Origins today, I'm a big fan of the series but Syndicate burned me (still finished it). my personal ranking so far:

AC:B=AC2>ACU>ACIII>ACRo>AC4>ACRe>ACS=AC1

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

So this is getting released tomorrow. I have seen some people saying that the physical release is Europe only. The price is 29,95 € here in Finland. I will definitely buy this at some point because I haven't played it. I really enjoyed ACIII and this looks very similar.

Cover:
assassins_creed_rogue_remastered.jpg

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So this is getting released tomorrow. I have seen some people saying that the physical release is Europe only. The price is 29,95 € here in Finland. I will definitely buy this at some point because I haven't played it. I really enjoyed ACIII and this looks very similar.

Cover:
assassins_creed_rogue_remastered.jpg
its not simlar to AC3. Its basically Black Flag but in the North Atlantic. Perfect for those who loved BF

Last edited:

abracadaver

Is this coming to Steam or is the normal PC version the remaster?

Here is a video that compares the original PC version with the remaster on PS4 Pro:

base

Banned
Gonna pick it up today if I find a copy at my local store. Never played it actually but it looks promising.

I really liked this Assassin creed though you can tell it was a side project as it not nearly as cinamatic as the other ones in the series. One of the most disappointing parts to me is that there is only New York as a city. With this taking place during the 7 years war it would have been a perfect opportunity to also add Quebec City, hell you are sailing around the gulf of St. Lawrence it's lliterally just off the map.

Pejo

I felt Rogue had better characters and better side missions than Black Flag, but the backdrop was worse. It just wasn't as fun sailing around in the ice and snow as it was in the Caribbean. If there's any substantial reason to pick this up for PC, I might consider it. If it's a free upgrade to PC owners, then I'm definitely down for a replay.

Darak

I greatly enjoyed BF, which will probably remain my favorite Assassins Creed for a long time, but for some reason didn't like this one at all, despite the similarities.

I didn't like the setting. I also missed some quality of life improvements Unity introduced the same year. The main story and protagonist were also worse IMO, although I didn't finish it.

Leocarian

Banned
Teaser Trailer

4k Remaster with all DLC and a new outfit of Bayek's from AC Origins, coming March 2018.
Disappointing they didn't do AC3 and Liberation

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-01-11-assassins-creed-rogue-remastered-sets-sail-in-march

Demaster if already posted.

AC 3 was a shit game and this is coming from a huge huge AC fan who has platinum and 100%s for every AC game expect Liberation didn't bother on Vita, and Origins cause I am playing it right now.

base

Banned
AC 3 was a shit game and this is coming from a huge huge AC fan who has platinum and 100%s for every AC game expect Liberation didn't bother on Vita, and Origins cause I am playing it right now.
As a big fan which played every games (Liberation excluded) I have to say that AC3 was quite good. It had its own style. We are just used to Ezio which was the best assassin ever and we compare each version with him. For me he's irreplaceable.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Shame you feel that way, but outside AC2 and Origins it is probably my favorite Assassin's game in the series, it has the most memorable Theme Music

The whole theme is just incredibly epic and fits right with AC series so music it should be the series theme like SOL Theme is and always will be MGS's
Then theres weapons and combat.
Connor's Tomahawk is probably as iconic as the Hidden Blade
latest

Not to mention the animations for just press square
giphy.gif

Walking up to a group of redcoats while swinging that around was badass.
And it introduced the Bow which has only just made it's return in ACO and is why it's so good
tumblr_maos47p9Yj1r7i5gpo1_r1_500.gif

It also introduced the Rope Dart
giphy.gif

And then there was the combat finishers which once you started Connor was unstoppable like a Assassin Should be

And Haytham and Charles Lee are the most memorable villians in the series.
I could go on and on but it wouldn't change you

Leocarian

Banned
Shame you feel that way, but outside AC2 and Origins it is probably my favorite Assassin's game in the series, it has the most memorable Theme Music

The whole theme is just incredibly epic and fits right with AC series so music it should be the series theme like SOL Theme is and always will be MGS's
latest

giphy.gif

And it introduced the Bow which has only just made it's return in ACO and is why it's so good

giphy.gif

And then there was the combat finishers which once you started Connor was unstoppable like a Assassin Should be

They killed the story, last chapter was horrible. Here chase this boss and win the game, extremely anticlimactic.

Music was OK, AC2 and Brotherhood wrekts tho in the music department. The beginning of AC3 was good story wise but they decided to kill everything and make it lame. Connor is a very boring Protagonist as well, monotone, too goody two shoes.

Haytham was great I agree. Dlc was poop as well. Then again most AC dlcs are crappy tho but the Origins dlc is actually quite good. Hopefully they keep the new trend going.

AC3 was too self-important and ponderous. They thought they were making some Great American Epic. It had too much fat. It was a pretentious game breaking under the weight of its half-assed gameplay elements. I like the setting, I like The Patriot, and this game was a huge letdown.
Rogue was a good game though. I love the ice theme. I'll give it another spin after The Terror TV series comes out.

thelastword

Banned

latest

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

AC3 was a very beautiful game tbh. I think if it was remastered it would probably look the best in the lot and even better than some current gen games....

TGO

From what I've played so far Rogue is a lot better than Blackflag, at first glance it does seem like another Blackflag with actual game outside piracy but it does actually share more in common with AC3.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

latest

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Assassins Creed 3, had a great setting and great villains and wasn't too bad when you stuck to the main game. Haythem Kenway is easily the best antagonist of every series.
AC3 was too self-important and ponderous. They thought they were making some Great American Epic. It had too much fat. It was a pretentious game breaking under the weight of its half-assed gameplay elements. I like the setting, I like The Patriot, and this game was a huge letdown.
Rogue was a good game though. I love the ice theme. I'll give it another spin after The Terror TV series comes out.
While I agree with most of this, I felt that the ideas were good, but the execution was atrocious. My biggest issue with it, was how terrible the content away from the main quest was. Far too much pointless crap that was unfun and didn't reward the player in a meaningful way. I remember doing all the tedious crap for the homestead and once I finally finished I was so mad, because it ended up being a huge waste.

Assassins Creed games live and die by how fun the repetitive content is and AC3 fell short in that regard.

From what I've played so far Rogue is a lot better than Blackflag, at first glance it does seem like another Blackflag with actual game outside piracy but it does actually share more in common with AC3.
You've clearly not played Black Flag or AC3 in quite a while, because that is simply and utterly not true. While the characters and setting are closer to AC3, the actual gameplay is a reskin of Black Flag. Almost every mechanic was taken from Black Flag.

Last edited:

Isa

This game is the only AC title I haven't played so I'm looking forward to it. I enjoy each of the titles in their own unique ways. What I really want to know now is if Ubisoft has any plans to bring AC3 to current gen, or maybe even the America's Collection because I'd really love to give AC3 another shot, I was never able to finish it due to irl responsibilities, and want to go through it. I sure hope so.

TGO

Assassins Creed 3, had a great setting and great villains and wasn't too bad when you stuck to the main game. Haythem Kenway is easily the best antagonist of every series.

While I agree with most of this, I felt that the ideas were good, but the execution was atrocious. My biggest issue with it, was how terrible the content away from the main quest was. Far too much pointless crap that was unfun and didn't reward the player in a meaningful way. I remember doing all the tedious crap for the homestead and once I finally finished I was so mad, because it ended up being a huge waste.

Assassins Creed games live and die by how fun the repetitive content is and AC3 fell short in that regard.

You've clearly not played Black Flag or AC3 in quite a while, because that is simply and utterly not true. While the characters and setting are closer to AC3, the actual gameplay is a reskin of Black Flag. Almost every mechanic was taken from Black Flag.
Playing bits of blackflag now actually and yeah it is a reskin of Blackflag but stuff that was present in ACIII and was missing in Blackflag or toned down are present in Rogue, the ACIII theme actually plays over the Rogue Theme like a little nod to it.
There's a lot of little things that play tribute to ACIII rather than Blackflag.
And the thing you see as being a Blackflag thing was an extension of ACIII anyway.
It's still a carbon copy Blackflag but it borrows more from ACIII then BF did

Last edited:

Droxcy

I personally liked AC3 after the whole childhood part in the beginning. Rouge was a good game, the battles in the sea could get a little annoying but it was fun. May or may not pick this up, my backlog is already growing again.

Dante83

Banned
AC3 was mediocre to me. I am glad that they did not bother with it. Rogue is the better game IMO. In fact, I preferred rogue over unity when they came out around the same time. Rogue got forgotten fast due to it being a last gen game and all the hype was on unity, which was an OK game, but a technical mess on consoles. I am glad that rogue is getting remastered so that people can get a better look at it. You won't be disappointed. If you liked black flag, you will feel at home with rogue.

base

Banned
Bought it already. I have to say they really improved it. Looks much better than Black Flag on PS4.

Zimmy68

AC3 had that rare thing for me that the GTA games had.
When I was done with a mission and ready to call it a day, I would end up spending hours just abusing red coats.
Setting traps like rope darting and hanging one dude in the middle of the street as a group of heavies walk through, then beserking one of them and watching the fun.
The game made Connor so OP, I don't think I could be hit once in a crowd of guys.

base

Banned
AC3 had that rare thing for me that the GTA games had.
When I was done with a mission and ready to call it a day, I would end up spending hours just abusing red coats.
Setting traps like rope darting and hanging one dude in the middle of the street as a group of heavies walk through, then beserking one of them and watching the fun.
The game made Connor so OP, I don't think I could be hit once in a crowd of guys.
You don't like the British, do you? :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom