• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate leaks early, PS4 impressions not... great.

Taker34

Banned
Oddly enough another guy who got the game early in one of my PS4 communities, actually praised the game for being better than Unity in every aspect. We'll see I guess.

Muffdraul

I kept hoping to see a skinless face and was sorely disappointed. I had no issues either and enjoyed my time. Hoping this one is the same, and I've got no real concerns it'll be a mess.

Wasn't the whole faceless thing down to players on PC who didn't have the correct GPU drivers? Much ado about jack shit.

Walpurgis

Banned
Yea I have been meaning to ask somebody what happened. I actually thought that lately he had calmed down and stopped being massively dismissive and condescending.

It was a Blade & Soul thread. He was arguing with people who liked the sexualised character designs. It got heated and I guess he crossed a line.

hohoXD123

If this is all accurate, I feel terrible for those that have pre-ordered this game. That being sad, hopefully this will spur Ubisoft to just put a bullet into this IP's head, it "jumped the shark" a long time ago anyway.
I don't. After what happened last year, it should have been pretty obvious that AC:Syndicate would have been one of the riskiest games to pre-order yet I'm sure millions still did and they will be the reason why Ubisoft and other companies continue to think they can get away with it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It was a Blade & Soul thread. He was arguing with people who liked the sexualised character designs. It got heated and I guess he crossed a line.

Ah right, I naturally assumed it was either an AC or Ubisoft thread.

Are you part of the dev team?

kq0cdjm4rq1d.gif

Why the fuck does ubisoft insist on releasing this game every year? It has done more harm than good for their image. Though I guess people still pony up for a rushed piece of garbage.

SomTervo

... Has anyone been in the "Assassins Creed Syndicate" thread?

Impressions for the game seem good. Better than Unity even.

The Reddit post in the thread was taken from somebody who played the game before two day-one patches, almost a week before official release. People have been saying the guy went way overboard because post-patch the simulation isn't as bad as he says.

The graphics have been stepped down a notch, probably due to dynamic day/night cycle and a far bigger gameworld. And it has a tiny amount of glitches.

But people are saying the gameplay is more streamlined with a few great additions and it's all pretty solid aside from that.

He is banned.

Ha!

What straw broke the mod-camel's back?

Edit:

Oh, OK. That.

I think I'm done with this series even if the game's problems are being exaggerated. I wasn't planning on touching this one any time soon and didn't know it was about to be released.

Kain

How can they fuck up the grappling hook after the Arkham games? I mean, if you are going to copy the mechanic (I don't know if the Arkham games were the first but certainly they are the best I've played when it comes to the grappling mechanics), and you have had more than 5 years to do so... how can you do it wrong?

Now I'm remembering Spiderman 2 and how insanely fun was to navigate NY.

chekhonte

Unfortunately this is what we've all come to expect from an assassin's creed game.

Unity still won't play in 4k with a 2x titan x setup with out seriously overheating my hardware. It's the only game that does this.

bumpkin

As soon as I read "Unity sucked", I stopped reading. I really enjoyed Unity, so clearly this dude's opinions are not going to mirror my own even slightly.

I'm still taking a wait and see approach on Syndicate if only because it being in London is kind of boring, TBH.

Well it's on ubisoft for advertising graphics far beyond the games ability as a standard that it can't meet. I'm skipping syndicate but here's hoping they take some time to reflect on the franchise.

so...a person who hasn't patched the game (or didn't wait until the patches were available) says x, y, and z are broken and a lot of people go into "sky is falling" mode but seem to ignore others who have said positive things about the game and actually have it patched

alright

ironcreed

Banned
I find it amusing how most ignore all of the positive impressions posted right here on GAF by credible people who are reviewing it, but this one guy comes out of the woodwork and is seen as credible. I know it's Assassin's Creed and many here hate it (I think it needs a break and some change as well), but let's be real.

SomTervo

I find it amusing how most ignore all of the positive impressions posted right here on GAF by credible people who are reviewing it, but this one guy comes out of the woodwork and is seen as credible. I know it's Assassin's Creed and many here hate it (I think it needs a break and some change as well), but let's be real.

Damn. No wonder it's quiet around here lol

A similar AC topic would be my guess.

Check my edit! It's surprising actually.

DrXym

My main takeaway from the review is Ubisoft is still firmly of the mindset "ah yeah we've got heaps of bugs to fix but let's ship it anyway and hope we can fix them later in a patch". Possibly.

Fools and their money are soon parted.

Aces&Eights

It's hard to trust again after your heart is broken by a vixen.

I want to like the AC games again but damn, it's like they took it in another direction from what they began with. Sucks.

Rymuth

Yeaaaah...they kept hawking it in my face and I said no.

Took Dragon Quest Heroes and left, shop-keep looked at me like I was insane.

Boke1879

Unfortunately people will cling to this account of the game. After Unity I can't say I blame them.

But if people on the other thread contradict this is wait for user impressions. If anything there are plenty of vids of people who have the game I'm sure people can check out and form their own opinions

Back when Unity released I remember reading that we shouldn't criticize Ubi/Unity too harshly because it was the 'Assassins Creed 1' of next gen. I distinctly remember being told to think about the upgrade from AC1 to AC2, and how Ubisoft just needed time to perfect the formula since they had... ahem.... "totally overhauled" the gameplay for Unity.

So not only have they NOT improved the gameplay in Syndicate, they've also managed to downgrade it technically too. Excellent.

What a shame. Expected, but a shame. I actually had some hope when they announced Unity due to all of the emphasis on stealth, assassinations & the Assassin Order. I thought they had actually figured out what they should be doing with the series, but it looks like they've dropped all of that, again, for some street brawler thug MC to 'empower' the player.

Whompa02

Well I had my fears that the lip synch would be crap ever since they released that story trailer. Guess I was right...it certainly looked bad then.

SomTervo

Back when Unity released I remember reading that we shouldn't criticize Ubi/Unity too harshly because it was the 'Assassins Creed 1' of next gen. I distinctly remember being told to think about the upgrade from AC1 to AC2, and how Ubisoft just needed time to perfect the formula since they had... ahem.... "totally overhauled" the gameplay for Unity.

So not only have they NOT improved the gameplay in Syndicate, they've also managed to downgrade it technically too. Excellent.

What a shame. Expected, but a shame. I actually had some hope when they announced Unity due to all of the emphasis on stealth, assassinations & the Assassin Order. I thought they had actually figured out what they should be doing with the series, but it looks like they've dropped all of that, again, for some street brawler thug MC to 'empower' the player.

Please, read other impressions before you base it all on this one guy who was playing the incomplete release version.

Please, everyone, stop going crazy about this. There are AC-haters in the "Assassins Creed Syndicate" thread who are being pleasantly surprised by Syndicate. I'm sceptical, too, but this anti-hype train needs to slow down a little bit.

Fury451

Banned
Isn't this basically contrary to what other people have already said about the PS4 version? Early impressions, videos, even review tidbits have basically been positive.

The hate this franchise gets is unreal. I don't even like most of the entries, but once Unity was fixed (I agree, that should've never been an issue to begin with), it was pretty good. One of the better ones.

That said, Black Flag, Unity, and Syndicate all seem like they would've been thematically excellent period games if they didn't have to lug the AC label around with them.

ironcreed

Banned
Unfortunately people will cling to this account of the game. After Unity I can't say I blame them.

But if people on the other thread contradict this is wait for user impressions. If anything there are plenty of vids of people who have the game I'm sure people can check out and form their own opinions

I was firmly going to skip it, but watching all of the footage that is freely being posted changed my tune. London is pretty, some of the new mechanics look fun and it seems to run a lot better. Which is also what the people playing are confirming.

Whompa02

Please, read other impressions before you base it all on this one guy who was playing the incomplete release version.

Please, everyone, stop going crazy about this. There are AC-haters in the "Assassins Creed Syndicate" thread who are being pleasantly surprised by Syndicate. I'm sceptical, too, but this anti-hype train needs to slow down a little bit.

Where are all these glowing impressions you speak of?

NexusCell

Positive impressions on Syndicate:
*crickets*

Negative impressions on Syndicate:
OH MY GOD. FUCKING UBISHIT DOES IT AGAIN. COMPLETE TRASH. I WAS RIGHT AND THIS POST CONFIRMS ALL MY BELIEFS THAT I PREVIOUSLY HELD ON SYNDICATE DESPITE OTHER POSITIVE IMPRESSIONS.

Textbook case of confirmation bias.

I haven't read the whole thing, so can't see how much is just general flawed gameplay mechanics and things that aren't related to just bugs and issues.

But please keep in mind people, we shouldn't make any final judgments until those day 1 patches are applied to this game, as dumb as some might consider it, it's only fair.

Fury451

Banned
Where are all these glowing impressions you speak of?

Check the 40 Minutes of gameplay thread. Other related new threads around also mention them.

"Glowing" was never mentioned by the post you quoted though, so that's a bit disingenuous with that. Positive impressions have been mentioned however.

Top Bottom