• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate Review Thread

ogbg

Climbing in windows wasn't obvious enough in Unity, but once you figured it out (you have to hold the crouch button while moving towards the window), it worked pretty consistently. But yeah, obviousness is what's key here.

Even knowing the button I found it rarely worked as intended. It seems like there are much fewer interiors in this one anyway.

Karak

Even knowing the button I found it rarely worked as intended. It seems like there are much fewer interiors in this one anyway.

Thats correct. It seems to have been made a bit more responsive AND environmental in many places it makes sense to have windows shut. So there aren't as many.

SomTervo

Climbing in windows wasn't obvious enough in Unity, but once you figured it out (you have to hold the crouch button while moving towards the window), it worked pretty consistently. But yeah, obviousness is what's key here.

I agree. I was fine with it but lots of people weren't!

Ya they are both done well. Jacobs portrayal is actually well done as it shows why he is the way he is rather than just "idiot"

Yeah I exaggerated - I suppose I meant that she's the one who holds the smarts.

Bookman

Well I will buy it, and if the next ac is pirate ac i will probebly buy it as well.

I agree with the critisim and I think the series need some time off but damn, I just like the historical setting and the adventure "feel" and if its a good story its worth a playtrough

Karak

I agree. I was fine with it but lots of people weren't!

Yeah I exaggerated - I suppose I meant that she's the one who holds the smarts.

Oh no no your fine. I didn't see it like that. I was just saying that the entire game handles the characters far less like 90210 then past AC games. There is a subtleness to a lot of the potrayals that didn't feel "there" in prior titles and that includes Jacob the jackass.

For instance after beating it I think i like his character more than most in the AC games. He has younger brother syndrome but you see it develop into something as the game goes on.

jamsy

Yeah looks like a lot of people have preconceived notions that everything Assassin's Creed must be shit. Not sure why people derive enjoyment from that kind of nonsense...

I don't like Ubisoft milking the shit out of this franchise as much as the next guy, but I still want the games to be good, and from the sound of it, it's definitely a title worth checking out.

Would buy this on release any other year, looks great imo

Coming off the back of MGSV and in the leadup to FO4, will get fatigued though if I play it now.

Nice to see that the franchise is back on track (¬¬) to some extent though. Last 15mins of the GiantBomb quick look is pretty much what I want from a Victorian AC game

kaioshade

and most of (if not all) those people have been banned...with more to follow I'd imagine

Was not expecting that. But some of the impressions, even with the flaws, have been pushing me to getting this game. Or at least the GF can enjoy it. I have way too much on my plate to get it day one (MGSV, Zestiria, RE: R2, etc)

Does anyone know how much gameplay is Desmond involved in? I always hated that part of the game.

Desmond - None. As for any other future stuff, i understand it has been kept to a bare minimum.

Hmm. I haven't beaten an AC game since Brotherhood, but this seems like it could be a good ol' classic AC. I just started watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look and I gotta say, Evie looks cool as hell.

AC2 was one of my favorite last gen games but the series has been a consistent disappointment to me ever since (Brotherhood notwithstanding). I think it might be time to jump back in.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I agree with the critisim and I think the series need some time off but damn, I just like the historical setting and the adventure "feel" and if its a good story its worth a playtrough
agreed. would love for them to take 2016 off, and come back with Black Flag 2 (or possibly Syndicate 2) for 2017 with real innovations/changes.

Ralemont

not me
I also love rating scales that reflect my real-world thought process. "Wait for sale" is such a good middle of the road score, lol.

looks like half of the reviewers have received their paycheck and half dont

Whoa, that's an extremely inflammatory allegation there, pal. Do you know something that would back this up? Because you have no posts in this thread otherwise. That's a pretty incendiary remark to hurl at "half" of the individuals who reviewed this game.

I'd like to know specifically what you mean so we can get to the bottom of this.

part of me wants to go ahead and pick up Unity on PC (it's about $23) but the other part of me says to wait and see if the price drops more once Syndicate comes out...$19.99 is the lowest it's been so I dunno if they'll always just stop there or go the sub $15 level

Where is Unity PC $23 right now?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I also love rating scales that reflect my real-world thought process. "Wait for sale" is such a good middle of the road score, lol.

agreed. forget numbers. just tell me if you would buy, wait for sale, rent, or pass. Daily Radar US (IIRC) used 4 scores. Direct Hit, Hit, Miss, and Dud.

Man, people sure are having trouble coping with some of the good reviews this game is getting. Some absolutely awful posts on here.

I just don't trust a lot of reviews after MGSV scored so well almost across the board and how I felt completely different than 95% of the reviews I read on that game. I had a decent enough time with Unity and I really enjoyed the co-op which they took out of this one, coupled with just plain franchise fatigue. I loved where the story was going in AC2/Brotherhood/Etc until they just said fuck it. I feel I'd probably enjoy these games more if they just detached the AC moniker from it and make it its own historical action genre based game instead of shoehorning a lot of these AC staples that barely work for better sales. That and the fact that Ubi still can't get a PC release same day as its console brothers after all these years.

I'll probably regret, but I'll get this on BF.

Last year I bought Unity for 45U$ (Black Friday deal in Brazil). And I kind like it. But lost the interest in the franchise. It is the same game for almost 10 years, and they never introduce something fresh. (WOW... A ZIP LINE AND A NEW CITY........ come on....)

Combat every entry get's worse and less responsive. Animations in Assassins Creed was always perfect, and in combat it becomes slugish over the past years. The Last of Us, Mad Max, Batman, Shadow of Mordor and many others are leagues ahead. And Ubisoft pretend the combat looks good and feels like a terrible without the impact of a punch.

I'll probably regret, but I'll get this on BF.

Last year I bought Unity for 45U$ (Black Friday deal in Brazil). And I kind like it. But lost the interest in the franchise. It is the same game for almost 10 years, and they never introduce something fresh. (WOW... A ZIP LINE AND A NEW CITY........ come on....)

Combat every entry get's worse and less responsive. Animations in Assassins Creed was always perfect, and in combat it becomes slugish over the past years. The Last of Us, Mad Max, Batman, Shadow of Mordor and many others are leagues ahead. And Ubisoft pretend the combat looks good and feels like a terrible without the impact of a punch.

It sounds like combat responsiveness is much improved this time

d00d3n

Does anyone know, how do they deal with present day content in Syndicate? Is it cutscenes only like in Unity, do you go out on extended missions like in AC3, or is it mainly a present day "base" like in most of the games in the series? Or is this an entirely new category of present day, like the first person exploration in black flag?

Decided to throw a last minute preorder in at Best Buy since reviews are decent. GCU + $10 in preorder rewards mean I'm basically getting the game for $37 so that's not too much worse than what I'd expect the Black Friday price drop to be.

KDC720

Seems solid which is nice to hear, especially after Unity got trashed. I'm kind of fatigued on open world games atm, but Syndicate may have moved up a bit on the list.

Karak

Seems solid which is nice to hear, especially after Unity got trashed. I'm kind of fatigued on open world games atm, but Syndicate may have moved up a bit on the list.

If the side missions hadn't been interwoven in theme with the main story I might feel the same.

Its safe to say buying Syndicate on either console this year they're technically/identically the same?

Got 5tbs on X1 would love to fill that up with this years hot releases.

DOWN

Banned
lol, way to just bias the hell out of that.... lol...

to put it much more fairly... gone are the extremely detailed but STATIC light maps and missing day/night cycles of Unity, in exchange for less detailed DYNAMIC lighting with passing day/night cycles.

One is objectively not weaker/worse than the other. You may have a preference, but both have their own merits and detriments. In an open world game, non-dynamic day/night cycles do a lot to pull me out of it. In more cinematic, linear, scene-driven games it adds a ton of detail, and the timeline is fixed anyway so it doesn't matter. But in a true open world I'll give up that detail for something like the below any day of the week.

https://youtu.be/pROWml_4sYQ
You can pretend it doesn't look worse all you want but you know they would have made it look like Unity if they could have handled it in cycle. Instead we get old, flatter lighting. And frankly I find it weak to say that fixed cycling with atmospherics like the gorgeous Unity had pull you out of a game more than an uglier step back to the Syndicate/Black Flag look

Promising... I've had a hard time trusting reviews for this series though. I'll wait for some Youtuber hands on before I decide, but this might be the first time I buy an Assassins Creed at full price in a long time

ogbg

You can pretend it doesn't look worse all you want but you know they would have made it look like Unity if they could have handled it in cycle. Instead we get old, flatter lighting. And frankly I find it weak to say that fixed cycling with atmospherics like the gorgeous Unity had pull you out of a game more than an uglier step back to the Syndicate/Black Flag look

I don't think they're pretending it doesn't look worse. Some people, myself included, would prefer dynamic time of day with worse lighting to static time of day with Unity's lighting. Others, yourself included, would prefer the opposite

Top Bottom