• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Out of curiosity, once I beat the game I'm going to play the DLC, how do I access it after I beat the game? Should I download now (on sequence 8) or just wait till I'm done with the game?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Out of curiosity, once I beat the game I'm going to play the DLC, how do I access it after I beat the game? Should I download now (on sequence 8) or just wait till I'm done with the game?
There is a carriage near Cafe Theatre that has an F on it, similar to the ones that have a V.

sam777

Just finished this earlier I didn't think it was as bad as people suggested. I actually quite enjoyed it overall, now on to the dlc.

Yoday

Just finished this earlier I didn't think it was as bad as people suggested. I actually quite enjoyed it overall, now on to the dlc.
The game is damn good. It is really rather disgusting how this game was treated, and honestly, not all that unexpected. People were determined to slander the game into the ground well before it came out because of it being a Ubisoft game, and because of the whole 900p thing. Those same people basically just took the problems the game had at launch and blew them way out of proportion to fuel their cause. The skinless faces glitch was probably the biggest travesty of all. That glitch simply wasn't even a thing for 99.9% of gamers, and yet to this day it is still the first thing people will talk about when the game comes up. I started playing Unity when a friend came over, and even though he never visits GAF or any other gaming forum, the first thing that came out of his mouth was disgust for the game because of the scary faces.

It is a real shame how much the internet's campaign of hatred towards this game turned a lot of people away from it. I am now at 97% overall completion of Unity and I can now say that for me it is by far the best game in the series. My favorite game in the series will probably always be AC2 for nostalgia reasons and what it did for open world games at the time, but Unity is simply a better game outside of Story, and even that is debatable.

Beat the game today. Overall I'd give it a 7. Played it on PS4, never felt it was unplayable, never experienced any major bugs or even anything minor really but the frame rate was really choppy, I think low 20's at best when running around in the city. I loved how smooth AC4 was being locked at 30fps no matter the action.

Story was boring and uninteresting,
i wish they did more with the glitches that sent you to different time periods

Overall the game was just really mediocre at everything it tried to do, I only rate the game as high as I do because I still love exploring these cities from different periods. I messed around with Dead Kings but just not interested in it. I look forward to seeing what they do in the next game in London and I really hope they lock the damn frame rate as it was sorely missed after getting a taste of it in AC4

The game is damn good. It is really rather disgusting how this game was treated, and honestly, not all that unexpected. People were determined to slander the game into the ground well before it came out because of it being a Ubisoft game, and because of the whole 900p thing. Those same people basically just took the problems the game had at launch and blew them way out of proportion to fuel their cause. The skinless faces glitch was probably the biggest travesty of all. That glitch simply wasn't even a thing for 99.9% of gamers, and yet to this day it is still the first thing people will talk about when the game comes up. I started playing Unity when a friend came over, and even though he never visits GAF or any other gaming forum, the first thing that came out of his mouth was disgust for the game because of the scary faces.

It is a real shame how much the internet's campaign of hatred towards this game turned a lot of people away from it. I am now at 97% overall completion of Unity and I can now say that for me it is by far the best game in the series. My favorite game in the series will probably always be AC2 for nostalgia reasons and what it did for open world games at the time, but Unity is simply a better game outside of Story, and even that is debatable.

Say what you will, but the game released in an unacceptable state. Right now, it's playable, but the criticism the game received at launch wasn't undeserved. Ubisoft rushed this game out the door and it shows.

Once I replayed after a few of the patches had been released, I had a lot of fun. But that doesn't change the past.

On an unrelated note, were those conceprt art and McFarlane Master Assassin outfits always in the game, or did the latest patch add them? They look cool.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Tried getting back into this today. Idk man... the jank.

If they would just put a jog on the analog it would be so much better. I don't understand this shit with some high profile devs like Ubi and Rockstar that refuse to put the run (or at the very least jog) on the damn stick. It's infuriating.

Straight up derp.

jem0208

The fluidity of running is just not there, so many times I'm stuck doing things I don't want to do in the heat of battle
I actually haven't run into this much with Unity. In my experience it's been pretty damn good.

The free running is actually pretty great, I've been playing a bit of Shadow of Mordor and the free running is genuinely bad compared to Unity. I'm surprised nobody picked up on the poor traversal with SoM.

Evolved1

I actually haven't run into this much with Unity. In my experience it's been pretty damn good.

The free running is actually pretty great, I've been playing a bit of Shadow of Mordor and it is genuinely bad compared to Unity. I'm surprised nobody picked up on the poor traversal with SoM.

Another game with forced walking unless you hold down a button to sprint. No jog.

Fucking gross.

mf.luder

Are we expecting more DLC for this? I can only assume that the season pass was going to cover Dead Kings and more, right?

I went back and did the training one by one and the platinum unlocked (yay).

Evolved1

This game, I want to play it HUDless... but they don't really let me.

This is especially frustrating with the crime investigations. They are kind of fun. And even more fun with everything turned off... but no matter what the settings, there's always some crap floating on the screen.

It's like they tease you with the idea of no HUD but don't actually go all the way with it.

Can't help themselves but shove all this annoying shit in your face.

Every time I open the map I die inside a little. It's just like... what the fuck!?

jem0208

Another game with forced walking unless you hold down a button to sprint. No jog.

Fucking gross.

I'm not too bothered by this with Unity as holding the right trigger doesn't get in the
All that much.

Shadow of Mordor on the other hand forces you to hold the A button which is a pain in the ass.
This, how in 2015 they have this I don't understand. I did feel the climbing was better though.

The climbing was definitely better in Unity. It's very janky in SoM.

This game, I want to play it HUDless... but they don't really let me.

This is especially frustrating with the crime investigations. They are kind of fun. And even more fun with everything turned off... but no matter what the settings, there's always some crap floating on the screen.

It's like they tease you with the idea of no HUD but don't actually go all the way with it.

Can't help themselves but shove all this annoying shit in your face.

Every time I open the map I die inside a little. It's just like... what the fuck!?

You can turn the entire HUD off in the options menu. Or alternatively you can toggle it by holding down the right stick. Which is extremely useful as it means you can wander around the city without a HUD and turn it back on for the missions without wading through option menus.

Evolved1

You can turn the entire HUD off in the options menu. Or alternatively you can toggle it by holding down the right stick. Which is extremely useful as it means you can wander around the city without a HUD and turn it back on for the missions without wading through option menus.

It doesn't turn it all off though. I'll take some pics later to demonstrate what I mean.

Ricker

What happened to the suppose patch yesterday that was suppose to make the stuff behind the App available without it...? never got an update on the PS4...

hydruxo

Just beat this the other day and it was probably my least favorite AC game in the series.

+ Paris is gorgeous and they did a great job with the world. I loved jumping into a random courtyard and listening to a violinist play. Really cool touch.
+ Larger variety of side missions was nice. Nostradamus enigmas especially.
+ Stealth was a welcome addition.
+ The time rift missions were interesting.
+ Return of open assassination missions was great.

- Story started out great the first couple sequences and then just became nothing more than
killing a series of henchmen to get to to the villain at the end. Elise dying was so predictable and cliche.
- They took one step forward with the introduction of the parkour down buildings mechanic, but took two steps back with the sluggish & frustrating freerunning. There were so many times where I kept getting stuck going up walls or other things in the environment during missions, and then get shot at by guards or desyncronized because of it. Free running was always a blast to just run around with in the other games, but it just felt completely off in Unity.
- They tried to change the combat to make it more difficult, but the combat still doesn't feel right. Getting counter kills is nowhere near as satisfying as it used to be. I used to like having the option to go all out during the mission and kill everybody, but in Unity you pretty much have to go stealth every time. That might not be a bad thing for people who only want to do stealth, but it would be nice if you could do either.
- Controls for shooting are extremely awkward and counter intuitive. Hard to use when you're in trouble.
- Chests and items being locked behind companion app Ubi content. I know it's being patched, and this is more a Ubisoft complaint but nevertheless it affected my enjoyment of the game.

I felt the game made some interesting changes but the fact that it's gameplay systems were just not as good as previous games made it less enjoyable for me. Combat and parkour still needs a lot of tuning. I really hope the next game is more like Black Flag and less like Unity.

Evolved1

If they would just put a run/jog on the analog it would fix so much of the jank.

like 80% of this game's jank comes from R2 triggering stupid contextual bullshit you don't want it to. But in order to play the game you always have to hold R2 since the walk is completely useless in almost all contexts.

R2 should engage a faster run/free run. Full press on the analog should initiate the move toward a jog. Then you could just move through the environment in a practical, natural way without jumping up, on, or over every goddamed thing all the time.

They are soooo close. The accent/decent contextual controls are smart. But not having a jog on the analog is the opposite of smart.

They are assholes for this.

Crossing Eden

If they would just put a run/jog on the analog it would fix so much of the jank.

like 80% of this game's jank comes from R2 triggering stupid contextual bullshit you don't want it to. But in order to play the game you always have to hold R2 since the walk is completely useless in almost all contexts.

R2 should engage a faster run/free run. Full press on the analog should initiate the move toward a jog. Then you could just move through the environment in a practical, natural way without jumping up, on, or over every goddamed thing all the time.

They are soooo close. The accent/decent contextual controls are smart. But not having a jog on the analog is the opposite of smart.

They are assholes for this.
In AC3/4 pressing lightly on R2 would trigger a jog, no idea why why they omitted.

Evolved1

In AC3/4 pressing lightly on R2 would trigger a jog, no idea why why they omitted.

Yeah I remember. Unfortunately, it would still initiate contextual freerun. It was also somewhat needlessly cumbersome. (In AC4 you had to half-press the analog and the trigger!) when it could just be on the damn analog. I mean, this is the purpose of analog sticks lol!

I appreciate the badass walk animation(s) in AC I really do. But it could share the analog with a jog.

Also. Being able to take a few steps backward without your character spinning around would be pretty nice too. Uncharted 3 did this quite well. Few steps backward before spinning around. Limited back peddle/strafe really helps eliminate jank. Naughty Dog figured this out before finally adopting full FPS strafe controls for TLoU.

Not saying AC should do that, but maybe look at how ND was able to mitigate some player control jank by implementing the back peddle.

What they definitely need to do, though, is put jog on the damn stick. I will not buy the next game if they don't. I'm tired of this shit.

Would be wonderful if maybe one reviewer on the face of the earth would comment on it. Unfortunately reviewers don't actually talk about mechanics often. At least not this kind of stuff.

Crossing Eden

Yeah I remember. Unfortunately, it would still initiate contextual freerun. It was also somewhat needlessly cumbersome. (In AC4 you had to half-press the analog and the trigger!) when it could just be on the damn analog. I mean, this is the purpose of analog sticks lol!

I appreciate the badass walk animation(s) in AC I really do. But it could share the analog with a jog.

Also. Being able to take a few steps backward without your character spinning around would be pretty nice too. Uncharted 3 did this quite well. Few steps backward before spinning around. Limited back peddle/strafe really helps eliminate jank. Naughty Dog figured this out before finally adopting full FPS strafe controls for TLoU.

Not saying AC should do that, but maybe look at how ND was able to mitigate some player control jank by implementing the back peddle.

What they definitely need to do, though, is put jog on the damn stick. I will not buy the next game if they don't. I'm tired of this shit.

Would be wonderful if maybe one reviewer on the face of the earth would comment on it. Unfortunately reviewers don't actually talk about mechanics often. At least not this kind of stuff.
Also remember to hold O to avoid getting stuck on environmental objects.

Also remember to hold O to avoid getting stuck on environmental objects.
I was going to mention this.

I actually prefer walking through the streets but when I do run, I stick to the middle of the roads or wide areas. But the rooftops are where I run mostly and rarely do I get botched up. It's only when I'm trying to enter a small window and I jump and stick to everything else that pisses me off.

RavenH2

Hi,

I've been thinking about getting Unity, but I have a few concerns.

How's the Xbox One version after the patchs?

I've been seeing cheap digital copies along with Black Flag being sold in an ebay like service here in Argentina. The seller have sold through enough of them and they assure me that they are legit game codes.

They seem awfully cheap (compared to game prices here in Argentina), so I don't know. Was there any digital promotion of Black Flag and Unity, besides the one that came with the Xbox One?

Also, it would be my firs Assassins Creed since AC2, should I expect a big leap or is it more of the same with shiny new graphics?

Thanks!

Hi,

I've been thinking about getting Unity, but I have a few concerns.

How's the Xbox One version after the patchs?

I've been seeing cheap digital copies along with Black Flag being sold in an ebay like service here in Argentina. The seller have sold through enough of them and they assure me that they are legit game codes.

They seem awfully cheap (compared to game prices here in Argentina), so I don't know. Was there any digital promotion of Black Flag and Unity, besides the one that came with the Xbox One?

Also, it would be my firs Assassins Creed since AC2, should I expect a big leap or is it more of the same with shiny new graphics?

Thanks!
It reminds me of AC2 but the first two real missions (tracking down a target) feel more like AC1 where they provide you with optional objectives that open up alternative methods of entry points and kills. Feels awesome to me.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone who's unlocked every bar in the progress tracker please post what each one is including the Dead Kings DLC? The main story sequences can be excluded. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Man, FUCK those districts filled with enemies that instantly alert every five steps. And I thought I read that rooftop guards were out. I can see special placements for certain missions, but during free roam? How the fuck is that fun! Went from "possibly the best AC" to "fuck this game" when exploring and opening up two new districts.

RavenH2

It reminds me of AC2 but the first two real missions (tracking down a target) feel more like AC1 where they provide you with optional objectives that open up alternative methods of entry points and kills. Feels awesome to me.

Thanks! I will probably cave in to the offer, it's really cheap...

Sai

Man, FUCK those districts filled with enemies that instantly alert every five steps. And I thought I read that rooftop guards were out. I can see special placements for certain missions, but during free roam? How the fuck is that fun! Went from "possibly the best AC" to "fuck this game" when exploring and opening up two new districts.
Are you talking about the riflemen on the rooftops of the southern districts? They're pretty sparse; quickshot with the Phantom Blade or Pistol puts a stop to that pretty hastily if you don't just run off, which is easily done.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
The parkour section in the tournament coop mission just serves to highlight the fact that controls are a piece of shit.

Paganmoon

So I just finished Dead Kings DLC... that was it? quite disappointing to be honest.

On the technical side though, the performance seemed much better, not sure if it was due to the map being smaller than Paris. The parkour also felt much more responsive.

But yeah, disappointed with the story.

jem0208

So I just finished Dead Kings DLC... that was it? quite disappointing to be honest.

On the technical side though, the performance seemed much better, not sure if it was due to the map being smaller than Paris. The parkour also felt much more responsive.

But yeah, disappointed with the story.
I felt the exact opposite. The performance felt far worse in Dead Kings. The underground felt awful, I gave up on the DLC because it felt so bad.

Are you talking about the riflemen on the rooftops of the southern districts? They're pretty sparse; quickshot with the Phantom Blade or Pistol puts a stop to that pretty hastily if you don't just run off, which is easily done.
It's a district where there seem to be groups of Ronald McDonald enemies every half a block. I can't take 5 steps without hearing "Citizen!". And climbing doesn't help because guards on the roof all of a sudden. Just didn't expect it after the honeymoon I was having when I first started playing. I guess relying on the crowd is a necessity there...

Mogwai

It's a district where there seem to be groups of Ronald McDonald enemies every half a block. I can't take 5 steps without hearing "Citizen!". And climbing doesn't help because guards on the roof all of a sudden. Just didn't expect it after the honeymoon I was having when I first started playing. I guess relying on the crowd is a necessity there...
Well. That's a point for Ubisofts obsession with "1 MILLION NPCS!!!"

carl32

Banned
Iv'e never been interested in the Assasin's Creed games but i decided to buy Unity as it was available for just over £11. I have to say im enjoying it, iv'e only done chapter 3 or whatever it is and i am impressed with the attention to detail and graphics at times (XB1). I was expecting it to be bad from what i had read. Anyway is it worth me getting Black flag ? i can get it for £5.

Crossing Eden

Iv'e never been interested in the Assasin's Creed games but i decided to buy Unity as it was available for just over £11. I have to say im enjoying it, iv'e only done chapter 3 or whatever it is and i am impressed with the attention to detail and graphics at times (XB1). I was expecting it to be bad from what i had read. Anyway is it worth me getting Black flag ? i can get it for £5.
I struggle to find people who don't let themselves get wrapped up in Black Flag's sea gameplay.

Oozer3993

Black Flag is quite different from Unity. Personally, I like Unity much more. I've been playing Black Flag the past couple days and I'm not liking it.

Trying to mop everything up (going for 100% completion).
I'm leaving co-op for last.
I think I'll start it in a week.

Anyone interested in a detailed co-op playthrough? Co-op missions + heists?
PC player (Uplay).
I got a Mumble server so we can VoIP and properly coordinate while playing. :)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
WTF happened to this game's performance?
I played the entire game and Dead Kings maxed at 1440p/FXAA with frame rate capped at 30fps and never had a single dip below 30 during gameplay and some extremely brief dips to 25 during a handful of cutscenes.
It's dipping during gameplay constantly now at my previous settings and even performance with everything the same but resolution dropped to 1080p is very similar to what I got uncapped at 1440p before. I could get 60fps the majority of the time at 1080p before, and now the most I can get is 55fps staring straight up at the sky with no models in frame.
I've seen dips to below 30fps at 1080p and to 18fps at 1440p. It's insane.

dex3108

If you hold both triggers Arno won't climb to random things laying around. Also when you want to go through the window you can just use left trigger and Arno will go through window every time.

heringer

I'm halfway through the game and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised.

It's probably my favorite AC game after 2, tied with Black Flag. Granted, I've only played 1, 2, Brotherhood and Black Flag, but still.

First of all, the graphics are amazing. It runs very smooth on my 970 and the visuals maxed are a treat. XVIII century France is absolutely stunning. The pop ins aren't nearly as bad as I thought they would be, though they can be distracting sometimes.

The gameplay is just so much better. The parkour is still not perfect, but hugely improved. The combat, while also not perfect, now isn't counter to win. In fact, in most occasions I find that running is the only option, in past games I would just kill everybody.

And the missions are better designed and more open. It actually feels a bit like a return to AC1 kind of missions, which I like.

What is not too hot: story. Kind of boring? Arno starts out promising, almost as charming as Ezio, but quickly loses all the charm and suddenly it's just an angry dude. What the hell? I understand the context should take one to a darker side, but that never stopped Ezio from shinning. Also, at least so far it feels like the setting was a huge missed opportunity. You are in the middle of the french revolution but it's barely involved with it? It's just kind of... there. It has no impact on the story so far, which is disappointing.

Another missed opportunity is the lack of atmospheric music.

Overall though, I'm quite happy with it and the hate kind of baffles me. Maybe it's the fatigue kicking in? Maybe it's because the performance was so awful at release? I dunno... every negative review I read seems to make mountains out of molehills. People picking on small problems while ignoring everything the game does right.

It's not perfect by any stretch of imagination, but I think the franchise is off to a good start this generation.

Just beat the game tonight, I ended up powering through the main story because the amount of side content is ridiculous (and mostly not worth the time), and I have a question:

Did anyone else feel like they had no clue wtf was going on at the end? Also, I expected some sort of explanation or tie in as to why they sent you looking for the main villian, but there is basically nothing. And I totally didn't expect Elise to die! (/s)

I found the game largely frustrating. One of the more frustrating games I've played in a while. Too many times where I was trying to do simple things and the game's parkour system would take over and make Arno jump onto a ledge and whatnot. Also getting into open windows was comically hard sometimes, lol.

The combat is no longer parry to win, but doesn't mean its good. I thought the combat was horrible for the most part.

I just feel like I couldn't do anything smoothly and assassin-like because it was so clunky. Also performance in certain sections even after all of the patches is inexcusable (on PS4).

The game had so much potential with the incredible visuals and awesome setting, and there were parts about it that I really liked, but I just found it mostly annoying and wanted it to be over.

SHEF

I've tried to delete the game from my PS4 after finishing it but the add-ons for Dead Kings and The Chemical Revolution can't be deleted.

In library they show up under their own option for AC: Unity which asks me to buy the game for £54.99.

The add-ons have the unity logo of 4 characters whereas the disc install has the assassins logo and they appear side by side as separate entries.

There is no option whatsoever to delete the add-ons entry but only the disk entry and Dead Kings is showing as installed and taking 8GB of space.

Top Bottom