• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The controversial Assassin's Creed Mirage chromatic aberration setting is getting removed for all players, with an option to turn it back on

The most controversial Assassin’s Creed Mirage graphical setting is getting removed for all players of the game later in October 2023, but you’ll still have the option to turn it back on. Ubisoft says it has listened to feedback and will be removing chromatic aberration from its virtual 9th-century Baghdad, and I’m sure that’s going to be a real boon for a lot of us.

Whether or not you think Assassin’s Creed Mirage is a return to form, the open-world game has been doing well for Ubisoft. Players are reacting well to the smaller scale of Mirage, but the chromatic aberration visual setting, which is forced on every player, has not been going down well.
Chromatic aberration is a real-world side effect of some camera lenses, but Ubisoft has included it as a mandatory visual effect in Assassin’s Creed Mirage. It emulates how light rays can pass through a camera lens, distorting the visuals and colors of the edges in certain parts of an image.

This has been forcefully implemented into the game, and after I wrote about Assassin’s Creed Mirage chromatic aberration getting looked into by Ubisoft, I’m now incredibly happy to say that it’s being removed.
assassins-creed-mirage-chromatic-aberration-setting-1.jpg

That’s according to AC community team member ‘Waldo’ on the official Assassin’s Creed Discord, who says Ubisoft is “working to address your feedback with Chromatic Aberration in-game.

“With our upcoming update coming around the end of the month, Chromatic Aberration will be deactivated by default on all platforms and you will have the option to activate/deactivate this feature in a dedicated menu.”

Good news, everyone. So if you like the feature you can turn it back on, but soon it’ll be out of the game by default for everyone, which is what a lot of us have been calling for since the game came out.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
It’s absurd that these companies don’t give console bros the option to turn off these awful effects like CA and motion blur. I understand FOV sliders affect performance so it’s not that easy but there is really no excuse for superfluous effects.

Bojji

Is it just for when you use the camera in Spiderman or does it happen regularly?

It's probably all over the place like in most games with CA. This is the worst "modern" effect used by developers, if often destroys image quality and art quality, I don't know why devs loves this shit so much but they should ALWAYS put option to remove it.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Turning it right back on
Strength.
I actually like CA as long as its not extreme.

Also never disable motion blur unless the shutter speed is completely borked.
Or its camera motion blur in a shooter/tps.

P.S Mass Effect with Film Grain off looks so weird, I dunno how people went through that game without Film Grain when the aliasing is so harsh in that game.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

It's nice to always have the option, usually I tend to go with the artistic vision of the studio, but there are instances where CA is too intrusive, and I just turn it off. Motion blur I always turn it on except in competitive shooters.

Last edited:
Somebody tell ubisoft to get with the times and include these options from launch. They should always let us disable shit like film grain, motion blur and chromatic aberration.

whyman

Finished the game, didn’t notice it. Story and characters were absolute dogshit but gameplay and “level” design was nice.

Gambit2483

I almost nowadays completely turn Chromatic Aberration off (or very low) in just about every game. Film grain is another effect I get rid of in most games (a few I keep it in if it makes sense)

Does anyone actually like Chromatic Aberration? If so, why?

Larxia

I absolutely hate chromatic aberration, its even worse for me because I do have it in real life to some degree because of my glasses (nearsighted).

I wish From Software did this too for Elden Ring, this is the main reason I still haven't played it. The only way to turn it off is to mod it which blocks you from playing online.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Already played and finished the game, too little too late for me.

But for those who are going to start soon, please turn CA off. It's horrendous.

Puscifer

It’s absurd that these companies don’t give console bros the option to turn off these awful effects like CA and motion blur. I understand FOV sliders affect performance so it’s not that easy but there is really no excuse for superfluous effects.
But like, isn't the point of a console to take what you get? You literally have people REEEing because of "artist intent" and not wanting to change settings in their games, so I have no idea why it's an issue if you can't do that.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I must be the only one liking these effects. It’s not realistic but makes it look more hard edged. Kinda cheats to hide that it’s game graphics
And film grain helps add dithering sometimes

MAX PAYMENT

You turn off blur? Wtf.

There really is no excuse for not giving FOV slider either. Let me play in performance mode and adjust FOV to my liking and if performance suffers a bit that's fine. Let me choose.

K2D

Banned
I'd like to see more games put this in as a conscious art style choice.

As a gameplay feature even.

As mention before, Bloodborne 2 should crank up the CA in accordance with Insight. (I love when people dislike something in games and are forced to accept it. Kind of like having no difficulty options)

Everything about Mirage feels lazy. I'm really pissed off that this patch didn't arrive as they said it would. HDR sucks in the game. There's no peaking around corners like all the previous stealth focused games either.

This generation sucks in terms of rushed and lazy games. Games lacking content and promised features etc.

Nigel

Genuinely stopped playing it. It’s some of the worst implemented too. Makes the screen look like complete blurry shit.

Mithos

I must be the only one liking these effects. It’s not realistic but makes it look more hard edged. Kinda cheats to hide that it’s game graphics
And film grain helps add dithering sometimes
It's not that it cant look good, its that I can stomach it. I get nauseous/eye strain/headaches by the effect after not much time.

M.W.

Glad I went PC and modded this from the start. Game looks so much better with that shit turned off.

Audiophile

Gold Member
They should give you a slider or an Off/Low/Med/High option for chromatic abbe. I find a touch of it brings the image together nicely, but being forced to choose between absolutely nothing and "I should have got Trivex" is annoying.

Top Bottom