• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity - PC Performance thread

AndyBNV

Nvidia
I'm confused. This says that GTX 680 (which is somewhat better than my 670, albeit mine is 4GB) should basically set everything to low.

Yet in the previous few pages people are claiming, all reassuringly-like, that a 670 should be fine at 1080p 30fps on "high" based on some videos.

I guess we'll see the truth soon enough....

A 670 isn't far from a 680 and if it or the CPU is overclocked that makes a big difference. Furthermore, as I state in the text, I used a pre-release version of the game with debug, logging, etc. Release version is likely to be that bit faster.

hengyu

What? What the hell would I be trolling about?

You have a kickass rig that blows the PS4 out of the water. Unless you're concerned about multiplayer population, there is no dilemma. Your PC will definitely run the game at above 1080p/30fps and with better IQ

Corpekata

Banned
Uplay's idea of "playable while downloading" is apparently to let you play the first 15 minutes of the game and then waiting for the rest to download.

Schlomo

What happens if I try to run this with 4 GB of RAM? Just some occasional stuttering for loading? Crashes? Or won't it even start?

Seanspeed

Banned
Can tessellation be disabled? Didn't see any comparison shots...
Check the Nvidia guide. Its an option.

Also gotta say the game looks much better than previous screens have led me to believe. Truly does have a lot going on, for better or worse(depending on what you were hoping to achieve with your PC!).

And from that guide, I'd say that Environmental Detail is mostly worthless beyond 'High', so that might be a starting point for reducing the normal settings. And if you're not doing contact hardened shadows, the difference between low and high shadows isn't that big, either. Lastly, MSAAx2 seems plenty for a good IQ.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Andy your guides are always great. What happened to the metro redux guide? I was looking forward to that. Any rough eta on the tessellation update?

I didn't feel there was enough new, technologically, to justify an entirely new guide for Redux. Most of LL's tech went into 2033 Redux, and LL Redux got a bit of a spit and polish here and there.

As for ACU tessellation, not going to give an ETA because people get upset when you miss the estimate.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
When I get my hands on the game files tonight I'll try to see if there's a way to edit the draw distance to reduce pop-in on PC. There wasn't for Black Flag iirc so I'm not really expecting to find anything..

squall23

What happens if I try to run this with 4 GB of RAM? Just some occasional stuttering for loading? Crashes? Or won't it even start?
That usually depends on what else you have in your rig, but assuming everything else isn't super old, you'll still be able to run the game but with many periods of multi-second stuttering.

I didn't feel there was enough new, technologically, to justify an entirely new guide for Redux. Most of LL's tech went into 2033 Redux, and LL Redux got a bit of a spit and polish here and there.

As for ACU tessellation, not going to give an ETA because people get upset when you miss the estimate.

No worries, thx!

Bebpo

Banned
Game looks ridiculously nice. Definitely the first generation leap in AC visuals since AC2.

On my overkill setup it gets pretty locked 60fps outside of cutscenes with 2x MSAA and shadows on HIGH, everything else on max.

GTX 980 OC, i7 4790k, 16gb ram, SSD.

Liking the game except for the forced companion app/web-game chests.

Also TXAA is ridiculous performance hog, why even make another AA solution if it's going to have such a bad hit. Worse performance than 8x MSAA.

Just preordered on GMG. $62.50, thanks to a couple bucks of old credit and the VIP discount. Here's hoping my 4GB GTX780M And my 32GB of RAM can handle 1080p120 (or at least 60) without AA.

pa22word

Nuts. They recommend a GTX680 to play on LOW settings.

....at 1080p, which is a much higher resolution than either console versions. If you want better image quality @ 1080p you're going to need a rig that's substantially more powerful than what's in the ps4 or xbone. That's just basic math.

Kezen

Banned
Nuts. They recommend a GTX680 to play on LOW settings.

The game looks...pretty good even on low settings.
I wonder what settings do consoles use, probably medium/high given that they run at 900p. At 1080p they would have no choice but low settings (high/ultra high for textures still).

Seanspeed

Banned
....at 1080p, which is a much higher resolution than either console versions. If you want better image quality @ 1080p you're going to need a rig that's substantially more powerful than what's in the ps4 or xbone. That's just basic math.
I doubt consoles are running with low setting equivalents, though. A 680 *is* a fair bit more powerful than the console's GPU, so you'd think they could at least get away with some mix of medium/high settings at 1080p. Which, reading back a bit, does sound possible.

Probably just a bad estimate by the writer of the article(no offense).

Seanspeed

Banned
The game looks...pretty good even on low settings.
I wonder what settings do consoles use, probably medium/high given that they run at 900p. At 1080p they would have no choice but low settings (high/ultra high for textures still).
Low textures and environmental detail would hurt pretty badly.

The PC screens in the Geforce article look magnificent, if consoles use the ultra high texture setting I think 900p is actually a good trade off for that !
http://international.download.nvidia.com/geforce-com/international/comparisons/assassins-creed-unity/assassins-creed-unity-texture-quality-comparison-1-ultra-high-vs-high.html

The 970 is becoming more and more tempting...

texture quality typically has nothing to do with performance. the console textures are probly a mix of ultra and high like watch dogs.

Rwinterhalter

Neo Member
FX-8350 and OC 970 here. Getting around 45 FPS in Paris with all the bells and whistles turned on. I locked to 30 with Riva tuner and it never drops and the pacing is perfect in borderless window mode.

This game would look great if it weren't for the god-awful temporal aliasing. Not even TXAA seems to be able to touch. The gold fixtures in houses are shimmering messes. Does anybody have a fix?

I'm getting 30-45fps most of the time with a 7970 and a i5 3570k on Medium-High. But sometimes it goes below 30 on crowded enviroments.

Err... PS4 has 1,8 TFLOPS a GTX 680 over 3 TFLOPS. Even without console optimization it should be enough to run it at 1080p60 and highest settings.

I'm getting 30-45fps most of the time with a 7970 and a i5 3570k on Medium-High. But sometimes it goes below 30 on crowded enviroments.

What the hell... the situation is way worse than I imagined.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Also because the recommendations were made using a pre-release build.

That. Unfortunately, my Windows took an Assassin-style nosedive off the side of a building this morning, but without a bale of hale beneath. Whenever I finish backing up and reinstalling I'll be able to jump into the retail release, though I'm unsure if the Steam version is using 1.2. Anyone know?

Jesus, runs great maxed out on a 770 4gb card... But these textures, there's so many pop in issues, and at any distance over 200m or so, they just don't render.

Ertai

I think i'm going to cry with my i5-750 @4ghz and GTX 670, really considering the PS4/Xone version this year as the funds are not there currently to upgrade my PC

Top Bottom