• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity - PC Performance thread

Vuze

So.... I just downloaded DS4Windows by J2K and was pleasantly surprised to find out that Unity actually uses the Playstation button overlay on PC when using a DualShock.

Damn, this should be a standard feature in all PC games going forward.

Are there any other games currently that do this?

Ohh that's interesting. Haven't seen this in a PC game except for the swapper.

Can't wait to try the game this evening on my 4570 / 970 setup, doesn't sound too bad after all?

I didn't do a lot of setting tweaking, but the intro at least played better than it likely would have done on my PS4 and I only have an i5 2500k, 8 gb RAM, and a 4 gb 760. The rest only just now finished downloading, but I won't be able to play it now because I have to go teach a class in like 4 hours and need to sleep.

Pjsprojects

GTX 660 2gb
8gb ram
AMD fx-8350, 4ghz

Am I screwed or can I run this at 1080p/30fps? I really want to play this =(

Well I bought the game.
FX8350 black
8gb ram
GTX580oc 3gb

Will post back when the game gets released but if it's good on multi cores then lets hope!

Wookieomg

So pretty sure my rig could knock this outta the park (with the CPU being the main handicap):

intel 2500k 3.4 non-oc
radeon hd 7970
16gb ddr3 1600 ram

1) will that cut it for pretty awesome visuals? want to do better than the ps4 counterpart.. i'm currently torn between ps4 and pc.

couple of other questions though:

2) how's the port quality? is it worthy in terms of polish, controls, etc?

3) if i bought the pc version as a physical release in stores (say in a B2G1 deal at target this week :)), would i be able to link that copy to steam or uplay?

el87

So.... I just downloaded DS4Windows by J2K and was pleasantly surprised to find out that Unity actually uses the Playstation button overlay on PC when using a DualShock.

whaaaaaaaaaa?

that's SO cool!!!

Smokey

Here's what another guy with a very high end rig, similar to mine said about his performance :

Downloaded the game fully. However, performance is bad at the moment. 4 Titans running at 20ish fps, with utilization at approx. 45% across all cards. Vram usage shows maxed on Titans, full 6gb.

I am guessing/hoping that the patch they speak of will be installed/available tomorrow. It appears as though the game version is 1.1, so yeah, if 1.2 fixes multi gpu issues then that's all good stuff.

So it appears that more than 2 GPUs is an issue at the moment. But maybe that is fixed with ver 1.2.

Again I realize my machine and the guy I quoted are a very very small minority. However there may be people lurking the thread or non members who have similar setups so I try and give a heads up.

deeptech

Well, i'm getting 60fps almost all the time with slightly OCed 970 and 4670k (i hoped for lot worse tbh) , thing is.. LOD pop-in is really,really bad..i really hope they fix it , without breaking fps on the way. For now it seems there is no difference between low and ultra high environment detail setting and it kinda puts me off a little

thuway

Well, i'm getting 60fps almost all the time with slightly OCed 970 and 4670k (i hoped for lot worse tbh) , thing is.. LOD pop-in is really,really bad..i really hope they fix it , and not breaking fps on the way. For now it seems there is no difference between low and ultra high environment detail setting and it kinda puts me off a little

Can you confirm if your running it with the patched version 1.01?

ISee

Also fence-sitting currently, not sure if I should go with PS4 or PC, based on the required specs. Can I get some opinions from those testing it out?

Sporting a GTX 670 FTW (EVGA) and i7-2700k @ 1440p. Will I manage at least 30fps at that rez and is it possible to hit 60fps if I turn it down to 1080p on high?

I saw a PC stream yesterday. The streamer tested a few setting with his 970 gtx @ 1080p

On Ultra Settings with FXAA and no Vsync he was getting around 35-55fps (35 fps in areas with a very high npc density)

On High Settings with FXAA and no Vsync he was getting around 55-60fps (again ~55 in areas with a very high npc density).

Let's take take the 55-60 fps on high settings as the basis for our next steps.

@1440p a graphics card has to render about 70% more pixels then on 1080p. Because of that I assume his gtx 970 would achiev ~30 fps minimum in that resolution on high settings. (wilde guess!)

A GTX 970 is about 50% - 60% more powerfull then your GTX 670... so I doubt you are going to reach stable 30fps @ 1440p with your PC.

BUT you will reach stable 30fps @1080p on high settings. And this will still look better and play better then the unstable 30fps/900p PS4 version. No need to buy it on PS4.

hengyu

Guys, I'm wondering which version to get; PS4 or PC?

How will my 780Ti 4770k combo work?

Not looking for anything more than 1080p30 (not really as enamoured with 60 as most PC fans are) and with all settings turned up to max.

At this point I'm fully convinced that you guys are just trolling

That's quite amazing considering the Xbox controllers are the ones with official support. Would definitely use my DS4 over 360 controller if all games replaced the Xbox buttons with PlayStation's classic shapes, etc, even though I'd be going from wireless to wired.

At this point I'm fully convinced that you guys are just trolling

What? What the hell would I be trolling about?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
A 570 is roughly the same performance level as a 660 so I imagine it's playable at 30fps 1080P with certain effects turned down.

This gives me hope.
Will try it out when the game launches here.

Was gonna go console, but i think i can get the game to look better than console and hopefully be a playable 30fps.

I wonder who's in charge of determining Minimum and Recommended Specs for games. Seems like Unity's perfectly fine with less than the 'minimum requirement' of a 680. I mean, 1080p and 30+ with mostly High settings is hardly slumming it.

Anyone know whether Origin is going to allow pre-loading for this? I've never bought an Origin game before release date, but they can't expect you to only start the 50GB download the moment the game goes live, right?

ISee

I wonder who's in charge of determining Minimum and Recommended Specs for games. Seems like Unity's perfectly fine with less than the 'minimum requirement' of a 680. I mean, 1080p and 30+ with mostly High settings is hardly slumming it.

Anyone know whether Origin is going to allow pre-loading for this? I've never bought an Origin game before release date, but they can't expect you to only start the 50GB download the moment the game goes live, right?

According to a Community Manager in the Ubi forums there will be a preload option, at least for EU countrys. But the game releases 2 days later in the EU then in the US so...

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Since your here Andy, any word of a better SLI profile being in the works?

Thanks for the guide BTW. Will take a look.

Addressed in the piece. Any profile updates will be deployed via GeForce Experience, though some may require game updates to go live first.

So pretty sure my rig could knock this outta the park (with the CPU being the main handicap):

intel 2500k 3.4 non-oc
radeon hd 7970
16gb ddr3 1600 ram

1) will that cut it for pretty awesome visuals? want to do better than the ps4 counterpart.. i'm currently torn between ps4 and pc.

couple of other questions though:

2) how's the port quality? is it worthy in terms of polish, controls, etc?

3) if i bought the pc version as a physical release in stores (say in a B2G1 deal at target this week :)), would i be able to link that copy to steam or uplay?

Why don't you just oc your course? It is super easy with a 2500k. No point having the k if you don't.

So do you still have to use DS4Windows? Or does the game pick the controller up without it?

I've noticed that in the .ini file, Tessellation is turned to =0, even though there is no setting in game to enable or disable it.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Thanks a lot!

Does someone see any difference in shadows between low and high in that comparison? Or am I just blind?

Interactive Comparison

As mentioned in the text, Low only differs from High over long range.

Nice guide, in depth. Now just get my 3 Titans singing in harmony :p

At this time I think you're better off with 2 in Paris, where the majority of your CPU is going to be powering the city simulation, e.g. http://www.vg247.com/2014/11/11/assassins-creed-unity-includes-a-10000-npc-scene/

Wookieomg

Why don't you just oc your course? It is super easy with a 2500k. No point having the k if you don't.

Yeah, I've been meaning to do it. I bought the k version with the intent of keeping my options open if I ever did want to oc it. Thinking bout aiming for 4.5 if i do.

Rwinterhalter

Neo Member
How's the frame pacing with a limited frame rate? I've got a 970 and was thinking of throwing on all the eye candy and locking at 30, but if it's a stuttery mess it kind of defeats the purpose.

So far the SLI for this game is better than any other Assassins Creed game and Watch_Dogs, but it could still do with some work!
Averaging about 40fps at 4K with most settings maxed and only getting 80% GPU usage isn't the best.

Good morning, GAF, here's my Assassin's Creed Unity Graphics & Performance Guide that'll show you all the tech features, and covers performance and 'optimization': http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/assassins-creed-unity-graphics-and-performance-guide

I'm confused. This says that GTX 680 (which is somewhat better than my 670, albeit mine is 4GB) should basically set everything to low.

Yet in the previous few pages people are claiming, all reassuringly-like, that a 670 should be fine at 1080p 30fps on "high" based on some videos.

I guess we'll see the truth soon enough....

Top Bottom