• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity - PC Performance thread

Rnr1224

Looks like my 7790 and fx-4130 are getting near the end of their lifespan. Guess I better start looking at upgrade options!

Derp

got my GMG code, ran though for about 45 minutes until I got to the "needs to finish installing " screen

Geforce GTX 750 Ti 2GB
Intel Core i5 3340 @ 3.10 ghz
8GB Ram

playing with settings on high, v sync on msaa x2, SSAO and at 1080p

was maintaining 30fps most of the time with a few times going above(and one time below), I might mess with a few settings after the whole game finishes downloading and get a chance to continue.
Wow. Correct me if I'm wrong but this seems really really good.

And remembering that this is Ubi Kiev...

Colour me surprised.

metalhead79

Neo Member
Got my GMG code around 7pm MST.

I'm getting 45-60fps, ultra settings, high shadows, HBAO+, FXAA, borderless window mode.

i5-4670k@4.4ghz
R9 290

The game looks nice, but I was expecting better for a 'true' next-gen game.

Shadownet

Banned
For those of you who are playing it right now. Do you guys cap it at 30fps? or just let it run free? I feel like I might have to cap it. Letting it fluctuate between 45-60 would be a bit annoying.

Fedelias

For those of you who are playing it right now. Do you guys cap it at 30fps? or just let it run free? I feel like I might have to cap it. Letting it fluctuate between 45-60 would be a bit annoying.

How do you cap framerate? I'd like to cap it at 30 as well.

What the fuck? If that's legit where the fuck did they pull their minimum specs from? A 5770 is a mid grade card from 2009.

I presume it's the gaming devs's deals with graphic card manufacturers.
Higher min specs will boost newer graphic cards sales. Even though in reality older cards can run the games just fine.

Jtrizzy

Does this have Physx and if so, should I keep my 580 in just for it? I have a 970 on the way.

I wonder how this will do at 1440, I want that ROG swift. I guess having G sync will alleviate most problems associated with the increase in resolution. Part of me just wants to get a Ben q 24" 1080p144 g sync and have more overhead performance wise.

I plan on capping it if I don't reach a locked 60 on 970 SLI. I could go G-Sync, but I prefer to play controller games on my TV, so I need a stable framerate.

wow, 50-60fps with everything on max, FXAA, and presumably no nVidia bells and whistles on my 295x2 at 1440p on the latest AMD beta drivers.

Looks like both GPU's are properly scaling as well....i'm a bit surprised, going to wait til the entire game downloads. What time did this even unlock on Uplay? lol

SmartBase

wow, 50-60fps with everything on max, FXAA, and presumably no nVidia bells and whistles on my 295x2 at 1440p on the latest AMD beta drivers.

Looks like both GPU's are properly scaling as well....i'm a bit surprised, going to wait til the entire game downloads. What time did this even unlock on Uplay? lol

No stuttering I take it? The mere mention of it in the beta driver update notes is enough to put me off grabbing it.

Jtrizzy

Steam says it unlock in 4 Hours? Really?

Midnight launch! Oops that's west coast time. This annoys me to no end, considering EST is pretty much the most important time zone. Do the publishers have a deal with Gamestop to not hurt retail midnight launches?

GHG

Sorry if its already been asked but whats SLI scaling looking like so far?

General performance doesn't seem so bad from reading a few posts in this thread. So much for those minimum specs they released...

Spazznid

Midnight launch! Oops that's west coast time. This annoys me to no end, considering EST is pretty much the most important time zone. Do the publishers have a deal with Gamestop to not hurt retail midnight launches?

East coast best coast. Seriously.

veronica.jpg

deeptech

Sorry if its already been asked but whats SLI scaling looking like so far?

General performance doesn't seem so bad from reading a few posts in this thread. So much for those minimum specs they released...

Someone posted few screens earlier , i believe it was 980 SLI at 4k , it was around 70-80% with latest driver. And btw 1.2.0 patch should improve SLI a little more , or so it says in the log.

Kevyt

I think this is the same for uplay. It's 12:05 am eastern time, and the game is still not unlocked... I think I should just go to bed and wake up early and test the game then.

Pretty impressive. Looks like Ubisoft Kiev did a good job on the PC version.

Smokey

Ok so I played up until it said I couldn't anymore...needed to finish installing.

My setup -

4930k @ 4.3ghz
16GB RAM
Win 8.1
3x GTX Titan Blacks
ROG Swift Gysnc monitor - 2560x1440
Samsung EVO SSD - game installed here
344.65 AC Unity Game Ready Driver

So first thing I did was crank everything to the Ultra High. I changed Refresh Rate to 144hz. Shadow Quality PCSS. AO HBAO+. MSAA-8x. 2560x1440 w/ Gsync enabled.

So performance -- I was in the 40fps range. The clocks on card 1 were different than the clocks on cards 2/3. 2 and 3 were the same. My GPU usage was pretty low...in the 70s.
The game used 6GB VRAM. A couple times it exceeded that.

Despite all of that it was smooth. But that is probably Gsync going to work. I tried to restart and change AA to TXAA but apparently I can't start over? I can only continue and it's at a point where I have to wait for install to finish.

So yeah...my system is an outlier and I realize that. There could also be something with the engine not liking Gysnc who knows. I haven't been able to try due to the issues above. Haven't even got a chance to see how it performs in crowds. So those are my very early Tri-SLI impressions.

For reference I played Far Cry 3 last weekend completely maxed and my GPUs were in the 85+ range. I realize it's an older game, but still wanted to test and see how some UBI titles handled 3 GPUs.

GHG

Someone posted few screens earlier , i believe it was 980 SLI at 4k , it was around 70-80% with latest driver. And btw 1.2.0 patch should improve SLI a little more , or so it says in the log.

Thats ok as a starting point I guess.

Does it tend to be more CPU bound in terms of framerate or was that all hot air?

Jtrizzy

I think this is the same for uplay. It's 12:05 am eastern time, and the game is still not unlocked... I think I should just go to bed and wake up early and test the game then.

Looks like it'll be 3 hours from now before I can even start the preload. I have to stay up all night anyway, but I'm leaving to fly to Vegas at 3 am, so it better be then so it can download while I'm gone. I'm sure uplay won't auto download, so I'll need to re-start once they unlock it.

Ok so I played up until it said I couldn't anymore...needed to finish installing.

My setup -

4930k @ 4.3ghz
16GB RAM
Win 8.1
3x GTX Titan Blacks

So first thing I did was crank everything to the Ultra High. I changed Refresh Rate to 144hz. Shadow Quality PCSS. AO HBAO+. MSAA-8x. 2560x1440 w/ Gsync enabled.

So performance -- I was in the 40fps range. The clocks on card 1 were different than the clocks on cards 2/3. 2 and 3 were the same. My GPU usage was pretty low...in the 70s.

Despite all of that it was smooth. But that is probably Gsync going to work. I tried to restart and change AA to TXAA but apparently I can't start over? I can only continue and it's at a point where I have to wait for install to finish.

So yeah...my system is an outlier and I realize that. There could also be something with the engine not liking Gysnc who knows. I haven't been able to try due to the issues above. Haven't even got a chance to see how it performs in crowds. So those are my very early Tri-SLI impressions.

For reference I played Far Cry 3 last weekend completely maxed and my GPUs were in the 85+ range. I realize it's an older game, but still wanted to test and see how some UBI titles handled 3 GPUs.

How does it run without PCSS?

My setup -

4930k @ 4.3ghz
16GB RAM
Win 8.1
3x GTX Titan Blacks

You need to crank that 4930k up a lil bit ;)

Serandur

I don't understand what's happening, it's past midnight in my timezone, but I still can't download my uplay copy. What gives?

Edit: Are they seriously making us wait until Pacific time to even start downloading the thing? Uplay does suck.

thuway

295X2 :-O, holy shit, that's like putting in four 290 X's :-O.

Spazznid

I don't understand what's happening, it's past midnight in my timezone, but I still can't download my uplay copy. What gives?

Edit: Are they seriously making us wait until Pacific time to even start downloading the thing? Uplay does suck.

The powers that be decided they'd release it at 12 AM PST. If you're on the East Coast that means 3 AM.

wiggleb0t

Banned
Thanks Smokey
iirc FC3 & Blackflag were great 90%+ scaling on sli 770gtx . Sounds like Unity & hopefully FarCry 3.1 handle SLI/Crossfire well.

Jtrizzy

This is an issue with the majority of digital day one stuff lately. As far as I've seen they are all this way on PS4, and rarely do the big Steam releases unlock at 12 EST.

Someone start a petition!

wiggleb0t

Banned
Was the gpu clocks on card 2 & 3 only stepping half way? More, less, 2d clocks maybe?
Without AA and max DSR how does it handle/look on that monitor?

Wait, so the system requirements were hugely overblown and the game runs fine, better than console even, on lower-end hardware? I for one am stunned by this utterly shocking turn of events! Stunned I tell you! /sarcasm

Once again the requirements panic was for nothing. At least it's fun to browse through the Unity PC requirements thread and see some of the more... interesting stuff that were posted there.

One of the first current gen only titles, maybe the consoles really are 2x there PC equivalent after all.

As soon as actual next gen games and not cross gen titles are made and released, there will be a steep increase in PC hardware requirements.
It happens every generation, PC hardware needs to much more powerful than what it is inside consoles to run the same game because games can't be truly optimized or coded on the metal, there's a lot of overhead, this gen will be no different, it's just that cross gen games delayed the process.
So no I'm not surprised.

Well this is one of the first truly next gen games coming out so I'm not surprised. Of course there's gonna be a huge jump for system reqs from ac1/2/3/4 and this. Those games were made to run on hardware from 2006 so PC gamers were able fo run them with better fps and resolution. This is a whole different beast though. It's exactly why I've warned people away from trying to build an expensive PC expecting it to run next gen games. These specs are going to keep getting higher for another year or two.

I guess it's going to be like 2005-2010 all over again. With port's coming over to PC that play like shit on current hardware.

Guess My PC will be for PC developed games for a while and my PS4 for Multiplats.

Thankfully there were a lot of people in that thread that didn't believe these specs and reacted rationally. It does seem like the message is getting through .

My setup -

4930k @ 4.3ghz
16GB RAM
Win 8.1
3x GTX Titan Blacks

The VRAM usage makes me think I will be playing at 1080p with all the bells. Would be nice to get numbers without 8xMSAA, but it seems you are CPU limited?

Can someone give me a quick summary of what Gsync is?

It's basically the monitor syncs to the refresh rate of the content being displayed rather than the content being displayed synching to the monitor. It's a monitor with a variable refresh rate. Only nvidia gpus are compatible.

Didn't get a chance to try. I can only continue from the save point.

Nah. I'm running 3 Titan Blacks on Air plus the 4930k. Heat is a thing. I really need to go water but that's a different subject!

3xTitan Blacks and a 4930k and still air cooling... that's a thing too... a bad thing :p

But yea, I hear ya. lol

Tahnit

Banned
I decided to say fuck it and buy it on PC anyway. So lets see if this runs.

i7 920 oc 3.4 ghz
12 gig ram
770 4gb

Shadownet

Banned
Vsync without any lag, and at variable framerates. Pretty much no lag, no limited fps, and no tearing.

It's basically the monitor syncs to the refresh rate of the content being displayed rather than the content being displayed synching to the monitor. It's a monitor with a variable refresh rate. Only nvidia gpus are compatible.

Wow that's awesome. I'm guessing I wouldn't need to download anything and Gsync is available in the Nvidia Control Panel?

Top Bottom