• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity - PC Performance thread

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Welp looks like my r270x is out of question unless maybe I try to match console at 900p.

Definitely going to have to upgrade next year but not just for this game :p

Kazdane

Finally a interesting impression, thank you for that. Not bad actually, the 460M is a old and weak card. CPU has fine performance, but also old. How does it run on everything low and a extremly low resolution like 1024x600?

Unless I'm missing something, the game doesn't seem to allow you to go down to 600p even by forcing it in the ACU.ini file. I've tried enabling the read-only flag, and while the ini displays
DisplayWidth=1024
DisplayHeight=600

It's still definitely outputting at 1280x720.

HariKari

What settings are you using now that run smoothly? (you have a kind of similar sli setup)

Everything on low with FXAA.

Just loaded in the recommend settings for the 770 (I have two) + HBAO, no vsync, fullscreen. There's tearing and aggressive pop in but it's playable and smooth. Haven't hit a cutscreen yet so I can't attest to that being fixed yet.

About to try adaptive v-sync

edit: SLI "smooth" v-sync works wonders if you enable it in the nvidia panel.

Kuro

Okay something is really wrong. My GPU gets as hot as 75c just starting up the game and staying in the main menu. I was worried it might be my GPU but it stays cool at 60c in Shadow of Mordor at max settings

Kevyt

That's unfortunate :(

I just hope it's not a sign of things to come. I figured it would be another year or so before I ran into games I couldn't play at all.

Thanks though!

I have almost the same laptop, except a 650m. I could try the game on it, but it would be at 1280 x 720p as my laptop's resolution is 1366 by something. Now I need to find out if you can download the game, an play the game in more than one pc, similar to steam when I get home.

jordn613

Unconfirmed Member
I get to the first pre-rendered cutscene with some girl at a computer, and then the game has crashed 4 times now at some "94% Installing" screen and I can't get past it. WTF.

Phionoxx

Anyone else experience hard locks / the game freezing for 5 to 10 seconds or so every once in awhile? I have played for about 4 hours now and this will happen two or three times an hour. Will just be exploring, doing missions, doesn't seem to matter, and everything will just pause in place. My computer itself doesn't freeze as I can still hit keys (CAPS lock) that register - but the controls are non-responsive. Once it resumes - everything is as normal, no other issues with sound cutting out, no crashes to desktop, nothing like that. Never seen anything like this before.

d00d3n

The game isn't out in the UK yet, but has patch 1.2 come out yet?

Does not seem to be out yet. It says that I am using version 1.1.0 in the main menu, and the readme also says 1.1.0. The game is fully updated according to Steam. The leaked changelog mentioned two upcoming patches:

################################################## ##############################
Ubisoft Entertainment
Assassin’s Creed® Unity v1.2.0
################################################## ##############################
Fixed crash when accepting invitation in specific cases
Added NVIDIA technologies descriptions in advanced graphics page
Improved performance in cinematic on low HW configurations
Fixed various Graphic issues
Fixed various Input issues
Fixed various Multi-GPU issues
Fixed various UI issues
Fixed various Uplay Invitations issues

Ubisoft Entertainment
Assassin’s Creed® Unity v1.1.0

Fixed crash with MSAA enabled
The “Reload” action is now available in the “Customize Controls” menu
Fixed various Graphic issues
Fixed various Multi-GPU issues
Fixed various Multi-Monitor issues
Fixed various UI issues
Fixed various Uplay Actions issues
Fixed various Uplay Progressive Download issues
Fixed various Uplay Rewards issues

So the second patch (1.2.0) does not appear to be released yet. Hmmmm, the additional multi gpu fixes would be nice to have ...

hoserx

I've had the game just completely quit on me twice now......other than that I'm having a lot of fun and enjoying the visuals.

Tahnit

Banned
I am actually VERY impressed at how well my system runs.

i7 920 3.4 ghz
gtx 770 4gb.
12 gig ram.

I was very very worried about performance. Originally the game was very unplayable and i was very sad. I went and got the ps4 version that night and turns out that is worse.

Apparently i had AA set to MSAA and it was killing framerate. I set it to FXAA and it ran much much better. very very playable. Loving the game now.

I finally had a chance to see how it runs on my machine.

i7 5820 @ 4.1 Ghz (that's as far as she'll go I swear) and SLI GTX 970s @ 1500Ghz Core clock. Not the highest end but it's up there.

Everything maxed except 4x MSAA, 1080p. Cut scenes drop as low as the mid 40s so far. Gameplay in the first town has been between 50-75 fps (I know Paris is where the real performance issues become apparent). One thing this game has shown me is GSync is fucking awesome. Aside from the occasional big hitch, which seems to happen after covering a lot of ground quickly, (must be streaming data from disk), despite the fluctuating framerate, the motion stays smooth. However, I've played games that hover in the 50s before on my previous machine and monitor, and I know it never feels great to deal with tearing or judder.

Like the pictures posted here show, the high detail areas around the player character look amazing and the cutscenes as well but the level of detail drops off so quick and the pop in, so close, it's a shame. There's some other graphical oddities as well. One big thing is switching camera angles quickly results in like a brief flash, like it's figuring out what it needs to render. It ends up being inconsistent graphically but I think the art is top notch. I really wish it were more technically sound.

Kevyt

I've had the game just completely quit on me twice now......other than that I'm having a lot of fun and enjoying the visuals.

Those 970's putting some work huh? :p

Glad you're enjoying the game, I am yet to try it on my zotac 970. I expect the performance to be similar to OP's 780. I was thinking I can still get another one and SLI, but just for this game, nah not worth it, imo.

b0bbyJ03

so I'm getting 60fps the majority of the time with shadows turned down to high, FXAA, and environment quality at high but i get a lot of screen tearing. Anyone have any tips or tricks to reduce tearing?

Drogean

so I'm getting 60fps the majority of the time with shadows turned down to high, FXAA, and environment quality at high but i get a lot of screen tearing. Anyone have any tips or tricks to reduce tearing?

force vsync in nvinspector or radeonpro if you're AMD

dkG4uiY.png

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Do you really think so?

It's not like I'm running some super computer or something. I'd love better performance, but what other game on the market is pushing these kind of visuals at even close to the same scale?

Reo

Neo Member
Do you really think so?

It's not like I'm running some super computer or something. I'd love better performance, but what other game on the market is pushing these kind of visuals at even close to the same scale?

Ehh, these visuals aren't really all that impressive.
I haven't seen anything that's made me go "WHOA" outside of maybe a few character models here and there in cutscenes, but overall it's pretty meh considering how poorly it runs.
I mean shit, there are people here running it on GTX 980s that have to outright turn off AA (outside of FXAA) to get decent performance.

Stiler

780 DCII (w newest drivers for AC unity released on the 10th).
8gb ram

on Very high I am getting around 45-60fps but it can dip down into the 30's at random times (Even when it looks like it shouldn't , IE staring iat a wall instead o a crowd).

Also I get massive noticeable stuttering which is super annoying.

780 DCII (w newest drivers for AC unity released on the 10th).
8gb ram

on Very high I am getting around 45-60fps but it can dip down into the 30's at random times (Even when it looks like it shouldn't , IE staring iat a wall instead o a crowd).

Also I get massive noticeable stuttering which is super annoying.

Drop your textures to high.

Kevyt

This is my last report with my r9 270. It's pretty much unplayable. I have tried lowering all the settings, installing beta drivers, and running the game at 720p and the game stutters a lot. It's insane, frame-rates will drop so violently when running around the city that it's just atrocious. In addition, during combat, the game stutters a lot too. I was getting 30-50 fps, but while running, jumping and climbing things the frame rate drops to the 20s. So... I don't think my 650m will cut it. I won't even bother. Now it's time to try my zotac 970.

FLAguy954

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfpNRkUkqOo#t=1435

This guy is getting a pretty solid 60fps in the city on two 780s, but no reference to settings used.

Wow, I looking at his CPU usage and it is actually scaling across all six of his cores really evenly, impressive (fucking finally Ubi, a multi-threaded game :/).

Uhhhhh... that is absolutely not true. I'm capturing the screenshots with SweetFX which does capture SMAA. I don't know why you'd think otherwise. I even posted comparisons with and without sweetfx SMAA.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/99713

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/99710

Yeah, I seen your comparison shots literally right after I posted that. I stand corrected.

Serandur

I'm trying 970 SLI with the game (latest drivers, uninstalled and installed after the second card) and I'm having severe issues. The screen is just flickering in green and blue (though I can still make out the game and menu). What am I doing wrong?

oxidax

Finally managed to get 55-60 fps. Still havent tested the configuration in crowds and it occasionally goes down to 30-45. Rarely 15-20.

What I did was lower the environmental to High and shadows to high and AA to FXAA. Stuff that you guys have said already but just wanted to throw it here in case somebody has a similar rig as mine.

Im not happy tho. With Ass Creed titles I always have the issue of having to lower the settings. Im too used to playing everything maxed out and always getting 60fps. Wha the freak, Ubisoft?

1080p
8350 @4.8
280X crossX
16Gb Ram
SSD

well, I wish this ran better for me lol. Getting 20s even on low preset. I did enjoy the slideshow tour around Paris when I cranked it to ultra tho, was quite pretty, I'd like to visit someday!

Did u restart the game? I didnt see any fps difference until I restarted it.

well, I wish this ran better for me lol. Getting 20s even on low preset. I did enjoy the slideshow tour around Paris when I cranked it to ultra tho, was quite pretty, I'd like to visit someday!

Evo X

I'm trying 970 SLI with the game (latest drivers, uninstalled and installed after the second card) and I'm having severe issues. The screen is just flickering in green and blue (though I can still make out the game and menu). What am I doing wrong?

Unstable GPU overclock? I have noticed this game hits them quite hard.

ok, after using inspector to force fxaa and turning ingame aa off, its clear to me that the ingame fxaa option is doing a whole lot more than regular fxaa. ingame fxaa + as much downsampling as you can afford is the best option in this title. hopefully this isnt how ubisoft/nvidia intendded txaa to work and it gets fixed

Renekton

Judging by the fact that a game like Dragon Age Inquisition is getting 60fps on high end cards, this game has no excuse to run like shit.
That's like using Alien Isolation to compare with GTA =_= very different games (not saying DA:I = AI)

DA:I doesn't let you freely scale large architectures in a seamless city with large crowds at the bottom. ACU could get at least some benefit of the doubt here.

Kevyt

ok, after using inspector to force fxaa and turning ingame aa off, its clear to me that the ingame fxaa option is doing a whole lot more than regular fxaa. ingame fxaa + as much downsampling as you can afford is the best option in this title. hopefully this isnt how ubisoft/nvidia intendded txaa to work and it gets fixed

You mean NV inspector FXAA + Downsampling?

Anyways, just tried this with my 970. What a difference going from the the 270 to the 970. I can get 60 fps with environment set to ultra, textures set to high, HBAO+, FXAA, and shadows set to low. Switching to TXAA and turning on PCSS just kills performance. Still, I get constant frame drops to the 50s. This game could be better optimized imo...

UnrealEck

Yeah ACU has loads of pretty detailed architecture and it has a lot of variance. That's likely where a lot of the strain comes from. The buildings tend to have a lot of physicality to them. There's not as many flat surfaces as there used to be in games.

Anyways, just tried this with my 970. What a difference going from the the 270 to the 970. I can get 60 fps with environment set to ultra, textures set to high, HBAO+, FXAA, and shadows set to low. Switching to TXAA and turning on PCSS just kills performance. Still, I get constant frame drops to the 50s. This game could be better optimized imo...

no the inspector fxaa is the same old crappy fxaa as any other title. the ingame fxaa seems like its actually a temporal smaa/fxaa, similar to the one in watch dogs. best option available currently

Finally managed to get 55-60 fps. Still havent tested the configuration in crowds and it occasionally goes down to 30-45. Rarely 15-20.

What I did was lower the environmental to High and shadows to high and AA to FXAA. Stuff that you guys have said already but just wanted to throw it here in case somebody has a similar rig as mine.

Im not happy tho. With Ass Creed titles I always have the issue of having to lower the settings. Im too used to playing everything maxed out and always getting 60fps. Wha the freak, Ubisoft?

1080p
8350 @4.8
280X crossX
16Gb Ram
SSD

Did u restart the game? I didnt see any fps difference until I restarted it.

Ha I don't have near what you do, I did restart, didn't do jack. AC IV gave me about 25-30 @ 1080 for comparison, most things cranked max.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

I'm curious... do you still get the drops if you take the resolution down to 720p? Is there anyone that can run this at a steady 60fps with no drops?

Top Bottom