• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity - PC Performance thread

I'm under the recommended specs and I can easily get 30+ fps with the settings mostly cranked up (just AA turned down) at 1920x1200.

I'm using the following:

i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz
16GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM
GTX 970 4GB

Are you actually happy with that? Jeez, I would be so pissed off if my shiny new 970 wouldn't do 1080p60.

jackharm

Neo Member
That doesn't seem high at all? From the little I know about them, I thought they were safe quite a bit higher...

Fingers crossed it's just a bug with the game? :S

Tried stressing your system with benchmarks recently?

I'll try to run a few tests again tonight.

Like you said, hopefully this is just a bug that'll be patched out.

I'll try to run a few tests again tonight.

Like you said, hopefully this is just a bug that'll be patched out.

This only happens when you exit the game and not while playing? Otherwise check your cpu temps, and then check your bios for the safety shutdown temp.

FLAguy954

The guide by AndyBNV on geforce.com suggests the following settings for a 770 to keep above 40fps:

YIehewI.png

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/assassins-creed-unity-graphics-and-performance-guide

Damn, I feel for the people who went for the 2GB variant of the 770 when some recommended the 4GB variant instead.

My download of the game is two hours from completion so I will post my performance results when I can.

(Specs: i5 4670K @ 4.5 and a 290 @ 1007/1400)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Are you actually happy with that? Jeez, I would be so pissed off if my shiny new 970 wouldn't do 1080p60.

I'd love for it to perform better, and I'm sure it can with optimization, but the game looks downright amazing to me, so I'm more or less satisfied. It's still a much better experience than can had obtained on consoles. It looks like the performance situation over there is pretty disappointing indeed.

All things considered, this honestly seems like a pretty good port.

axb2013

Most of the textures look really good and the main character is very detailed. The pants have subtle stripes, even the stitching on the belts, armor and holsters is detailed.

i5-2400 or stock equivalents of 2500K just don't cut it in this game. going down to low from ultra on textures, environment details, shadows and even turning ambient occlusion completely off barely gains me 3-4 fps. I have to turn the res down to get to acceptable frame rates:

d00d3n

Specs:
i5-3570k @ 4.2GHz
16 GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz (High amount of usage here)
GTX 780 3GB / Stock Cooler / 7GHz memory OC

Did a decent amount of testing with fraps' benchmark tool and my eyes.

Average FPS in open world = 51 (36/61)
Average FPS in cutscenes = 31 (21/52) (Cutscenes have frequent drops for some reason)

I am using FXAA, 'high' shadows, and everything else on max/ultra. VERY impressed with the performance overall. much better than Black Flag was for me.

Did you use ultra textures? I guess FXAA + overclocked memory may make it possible to run ultra on a 780 3gb card.

Skyzard

Banned
Most of the textures look really good and the main character is very detailed. The pants have subtle stripes, even the stitching on the belts, armor and holsters is detailed.

i5-2400 or stock equivalents of 2500K just don't cut it in this game. going down to low from ultra on textures, environment details, shadows and even turning ambient occlusion completely off barely gains me 3-4 fps. I have to turn the res down to get to acceptable frame rates:

acu2014-11-1117-27-39zzry5.png

I'm confused, since when did the x1 get fraps?

Where are the black details? You're not running sweetfx right?

Seems like this came to bite PC folks too:

acu2014-11-1117-27-39zzry5.png

Wow, that's bad. Your CPU is fine tho, cuz if you lower the res you get acceptable FPS. What GPU do you have?

Evo X

Just played through the intro and thought I'd weigh in.

Here are my specs

2500k@4.7Ghz
8GB DDR3 2133Mhz
GTX 980 overclocked

Running everything max except shadows on high with FXAA at 2560x1440. Runs perfectly smooth with GSync. It's a huge plus in a game like this with fluctuating fps.

Cutscenes are running around 30-45fps. In game is around 60fps for now. We'll see how things go in Paris.

My uPlay tag is WRCEvoX if you want to play some coop.

Fractal

Banned
So... I take it I can't expect to max out the game at 1440p with FXAA on a 780 Ti while maintaining a locked 30 FPS all the time?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So... I take it I can't expect to max out the game at 1440p with FXAA on a 780 Ti while maintaining a locked 30 FPS all the time?

30 fps at 1440p seems reasonable on a 780 Ti depending on the VRAM of your GPU and what your CPU is.

Kazdane

I posted this morning about minimum specs, but I'll post again.

I've been testing the game in my laptop and played for around 2 hours (mostly picking up collectibles and doing the first 3 missions), this is the hardware it has:

i7 Q740 @ 2.93 Ghz
GTX 460M 1.5 GB VRAM
4 GB DDR3

Everything set to low except for AA, which I've left at FXAA. The game averages 20 fps (sometimes goes down to 15-16 and sometimes up to 25-30) and it's borderline playable (cutscenes are almost single digits though, but 1.2.0 isn't out yet, so that may help fixing it).

The actual real (not the suggested) minimum specs must be relatively close to what this laptop has, but that's just a wild guess. The funny thing is that framerate doesn't really change no matter how many npcs are around or if you are out in the open or not. The difference between low and high textures isn't massive either:

I'll see this weekend what the performance is in my desktop computer, but that one meets the recommended requirements, except for the graphics card (GTX 660).

Red Comet

Alright at 1080p:

i7-4770k @ 4.5 Ghz
16 GB DDR3 RAM 1600
780 Ti 3GB SLI

I've maxed everything out (include Ultra High textures and TXAA) and I'm getting a rock solid 30 FPS (capped with Precision X) with no dips or stuttering to speak of so far.

However, I have not left the village of Versailles yet. I have explored Versailles pretty thoroughly though so far include climbing two viewpoints and I have not run into problems yet. Does performance in Paris take a bigger hit? If so I may have to knock textures down to high. We'll see. I would have waited to post my performance until I got there, but I won't have time to do so until much later tonight.

Since I'm playing on a 120 Hz monitor, I set my Vsync to adaptive through the NVIDIA control panel, turned off the in game Vsync, and then set a frame rate target of 30 FPS through EVGA Precision X.

Qassim

I've been testing the game in my laptop and played for around 2 hours (mostly picking up collectibles and doing the first 3 missions), this is the hardware it has:

i7 Q740 @ 2.93 Ghz
GTX 460M 1.5 GB VRAM
4 GB DDR3

Everything set to low except for AA, which I've left at FXAA. The game averages 20 fps (sometimes goes down to 15-16 and sometimes up to 25-30) and it's borderline playable (cutscenes are almost single digits though, but 1.2.0 isn't out yet, so that may help fixing it).

The minimum specs must be relatively close to what this laptop has, but that's just a wild guess. The funny thing is that framerate doesn't really change no matter how many npcs are around or if you are out in the open or not. The difference between low and high textures isn't massive either:

I'll see this weekend what the performance is in my desktop computer, but that one meets the recommended requirements, except for the graphics card (GTX 660).

Nah, the minimum specs are quite a bit above those specs. The 680 is considerably more powerful than a 460M and at a minimum it recommends 2GB VRAM.

Skyzard

Banned
Alright at 1080p:

i7-4770k @ 4.5 Ghz
16 GB DDR3 RAM 1600
780 Ti 3GB SLI

I've maxed everything out (include Ultra High textures and TXAA) and I'm getting a rock solid 30 FPS (capped with Precision X) with no dips or stuttering to speak of so far.

However, I have not left the village of Versailles yet. I have explored Versailles pretty thoroughly though so far include climbing two viewpoints and I have not run into problems yet. Does performance in Paris take a bigger hit? If so I may have to knock textures down to high. We'll see. I would have waited to post my performance until I got there, but I won't have time to do so until much later tonight.

Since I'm playing on a 120 Hz monitor, I set my Vsync to adaptive through the NVIDIA control panel, turned of the in game Vsync, and then set a frame rate target of 30 FPS through EVGA Precision X.

Will you be playing some more soon? I got very close specs and that sounds much better than I was expecting. TXAA!

I think it may drop when you get to the big dense areas though...

Kazdane

Nah, the minimum specs are quite a bit above those specs. The 680 is considerably more powerful than a 460M and at a minimum it recommends 2GB VRAM.

Oh sorry, I definitely meant the *real* minimum specs (not the suggested minimum specs, which seem *way* exaggerated)

DocSeuss

Takes forever to load, including, occasionally, during gameplay.

Runs amazingly smooth, though.

GTX 970 OC, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 12GB DDR3 1600.

d00d3n

Alright at 1080p:

i7-4770k @ 4.5 Ghz
16 GB DDR3 RAM 1600
780 Ti 3GB SLI

Since I'm playing on a 120 Hz monitor, I set my Vsync to adaptive through the NVIDIA control panel, turned of the in game Vsync, and then set a frame rate target of 30 FPS through EVGA Precision X.

Did you get occasional "white flashes" during cutscenes, but not normal gamplay, using this setup?

FLAguy954

I... I can't understand that at all. Why buy a new GPU which costs 350$ for only 15-40% faster framerates? 15% isn't noticeably faster, its just a bit faster (7,5 FPS).

Yeah the game is demanding but not because of the graphics or the crowds but because its unoptimized. The game looks like a blurry mess, there are many low res textures and pop-ins, every NPCs acts and looks the same, what's so special about the games graphics? The lighting is good indoors but that's really it.

@Durante well, if you show me a 7770 with a intel i3 CPU (Sandy Bridge no hyper threading) which is similar to a Xbox One, if that archieves the same FPS I will believe you

NeoGAF, Believe

i7 Q740 @ 2.93 Ghz
GTX 460M 1.5 GB VRAM
4 GB DDR3

The minimum specs must be relatively close to what this laptop has, but that's just a wild guess. The funny thing is that framerate doesn't really change no matter how many npcs are around or if you are out in the open or not. The difference between low and high textures isn't massive either:

Finally a interesting impression, thank you for that. Not bad actually, the 460M is a old and weak card. CPU has fine performance, but also old. How does it run on everything low and a extremly low resolution like 1024x600?

@FLAguy but this is running in 720p and on a much better CPU so not really comparable to Xbone.

Kazdane

Finally a interesting impression, thank you for that. Not bad actually, the 460M is a old and weak card. CPU has fine performance, but also old. How does it run on everything low and a extremly low resolution like 1024x600?

The game only lets you go down to 720p by itself. I'll see if I can edit the .ini to use that one and I'll update the thread later.

Red Comet

Will you be playing some more soon? I got very close specs and that sounds much better than I was expecting. TXAA!

I think it may drop when you get to the big dense areas though...

Unfortunately I won't get the opportunity to play again for several hours, but I'll edit my post or post again if my performance changes in those areas (and it very likely might). If so, the likely culprit will be VRAM issues, so I'll knock down the textures. And if that's not enough I'll knock down the AA as well.

I should also note that I locked the framerate at 30 right from the get-go, so I'm not even sure how high my actual framerate is so far.

Did you get occasional "white flashes" during cutscenes, but not normal gamplay, using this setup?

Yeah, maybe one or two. Nothing too jarring though.

Skyzard

Banned
Unfortunately I won't get the opportunity to play again for several hours, but I'll edit my post or post again if my performance changes in those areas (and it very likely might). If so, the likely culprit will be VRAM issues, so I'll knock down the textures. And if that's not enough I'll knock down the AA as well.

I should also note that I locked the framerate at 30 right from the get-go, so I'm not even sure how high my actual framerate is so far.

Thanks for the info, will look out for it as I probably won't get it till late tomorrow.

Qassim

@FLAguy but this is running in 720p and on a much better CPU so not really comparable to Xbone.

1. That i5 is the oldest i5, it's 5 years old. Also, why an i3? Why would you suggest a dual-core vs the 6 core (of the 8 available to developers) in the consoles? We know there significant are CPU bottlenecks in DirectX regarding draw calls that wouldn't be the fault of Ubisoft, so that's not a fair comparison. We could swap it out for an i3 if you so wanted, there are, after all i3s faster than that i5 750.

2. That 250x is less capable than the Xbox One GPU, except the 250x is clocked higher.

I think its a reasonable comparison, 720p + a less capable GPU + less memory + higher CPU overhead on an old CPU. Given all those things, I don't think the PC version in particular is a "bad port". It's a demanding game regardless of the quality of the port.

HariKari

SLI 2GB 770s
i5 4670k
SSD

anyone have settings that don't result in stuttering? I've turned everything to low and it's so jerky that it's unplayable. Tried fullscreen and borderless.

hoserx

well I honestly have to say that for the first few moments of the game, I really feel like I had the first next gen experience I've had in awhile. The game looks truly stunning as you're running around as the child.......the music, everything is really neat.

performance wise:

I'm playing at 2560x1600 on two gtx 970s, an i7 3820 @ 4.3 ghz, and 16 gb of ram. I have everything maxed, except AA is set to FXAA. I was locked at 60 for the most part until I got to the first village....... and wow it really looks great with all of the people everywhere... I was really shocked at how good it all comes together. Had some drops down to the high 40s in densely populated areas.....

So far, I think performance is okay. Gpu utilization for me seems to be pretty decent, but there are moments when the cpu is worked heavily that gpu utilization drops down to around 75% on each card. I'm having a decent amount of fun so far with this beautiful game. ( I didnt expect to say that after reading threads all day at work)

Alasfree

I can't play the game until the 13 so i am basing my impression off the Nvidia article but it's kinda crazy that the Nvidia added effects are almost the only settings that add something to the look of the game. Otherwise between low/medium/high/ultra there is little difference (texture aside, i can see a big difference there).

axb2013

Wow, that's bad. Your CPU is fine tho, cuz if you lower the res you get acceptable FPS. What GPU do you have?
7950, i5-2400, 8GB RAM, WIN 8.1, native 1440p monitor. Game is 1.1 patched and AMD
s beta Unity driver installed.

This is the buggiest game I've played in a long time. Forget BF3&4, this is GTA4 level buggy.

Add this to OP: Settings apparently don't "register" in game, one has to completely restart the game/engine. If you lower setting, the image quality goes down but the frame rate barely reflects the changes, even extreme ones, like going down to low 720p.
Here is a 1440p ultra no AA screen, followed by a 720p all low/no amb occlusion screen, frame rate barely changes. One has to leave and reenter the game to get the fps increase from lowering IQ settings:

deeptech

7950, i5-2400, 8GB RAM, WIN 8.1, native 1440p monitor. Game is 1.1 patched and AMD
s beta Unity driver installed.

This is the buggiest game I've played in a long time. Forget BF3&4, this is GTA4 level buggy.

Add this to OP: Settings apparently don't "register" in game, one has to completely restart the game/engine. If you lower setting, the image quality goes down but the frame rate barely reflects the changes, even extreme ones, like going down to low 720p.
Here is a 1440p ultra no AA screen, followed by a 720p all low/no amb occlusion screen, frame rate barely changes. One has to leave and reenter the game to get the fps increase from lowering IQ settings:

This is weird , 7950 should at least get you 30fps on high + 1080p. Did you check the GPU usage? Seems fishy

HariKari

Very true. Just reloaded settings I gave up on earlier and they're now running smoothly.

It sucks when a new install crashes so I'm glad you got it resolved quickly. Odd enough, I have MSI AB running but haven't had any crashed so far. A lot of bugs but no crashes.

I was just on another follow mission and I fell through the roof, had to restart. There are some hilarious bugs in the game, hopefully the other ones I'll observe won't be game breaking. And being called "piss pot" all the time is starting to get annoying.

I had Rivatuner statistics server set to a Game Detection level of high. For some reason, this causes the game to crash. I can run it with that setting on Low no problem, and the framerate counter still works.

Loris146

There is some comparison between a stock and an overclocked (4.2 ghz) 5 3570k ( or equivalent ) ? I'm curious about CPU performance...

Unfortunately SMAA via SweetFX, RadeonPro, or Inspector won't show up in screenshots aka what you are playing most likely looks WAY better than your screen indicates (but that won't fix the grass :/).

Uhhhhh... that is absolutely not true. I'm capturing the screenshots with SweetFX which does capture SMAA. I don't know why you'd think otherwise. I even posted comparisons with and without sweetfx SMAA.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/99713

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/99710

Top Bottom