• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity - PC Performance thread

Denton

The problem is that more often than not these misinformed people set the tone of the thread and influence those who drop in to check out if the PC version is good or not. It really bothers me how everything is a "shit port" for some people, despite the fact that most of the time games run exactly as they should. Better than they should in fact, if one believes that coding to the metal and console optimizations provide huge benefits.

This is indeed annoying as hell.
For example Watch Dogs. Everywhere I go I read about what a shit port it was, and yet I played it and finished it in much higher quality than on any console, both graphics and framerate-wise.

Durante

Lo and behold, I built my 1200 dollar beast just a couple months ago. And I already can't ultra a game. Feels bad.
The fact that you can't "Ultra" a game, without context, isn't bad at all.

But I think I should just give up that fight. People are too much into "maxxing" stuff. I think at this point that obsession of some PC gamers annoys me more than console fanboys.

MayMay

Banned
Running through Paris, with the crowds and all - I get 45-60 fps with FXAA and everything else maxed out. Some odd stuttering though, might be loading..

Runs better than Black Flag guys. lol On my machine.. at least.

TXAA in Paris = Death -- 8fps. lol So Paris is definitely alot more demanding than any prologue sequence.

Kezen

Banned
The problem is that more often than not these misinformed people set the tone of the thread and influence those who drop in to check out if the PC version is good or not. It really bothers me how everything is a "shit port" for some people, despite the fact that most of the time games run exactly as they should. Better than they should in fact, if one believes that coding to the metal and console optimizations provide huge benefits.
Nothing we can do about it, a PC port must run at 120fps on a toaster otherwise it's not optimized. Tech illiterate folks will complain regardless of evidence presented to them.

Reliable benchmarks will show once again that you don't need that much more horsepower than console specs to run as well.
Of course some expect 60fps out of the box and completely forget how demanding features like MSAA or TXAA are.

But I think I should just give up that fight. People are too much into "maxxing" stuff. I think at this point that obsession of some PC gamers annoys me more than console fanboys.
You know that the people complaining about that sort of thing are ex console gamers who understand next to nothing about PC gaming, the meaning of scalability eludes them.
They play on PC but they are still stuck in this console mindset.

_machine

IQ doesn't look too nice, but I think the lighting looks superb and you can definitely see the GI working. I'd say the cutscenes look on par with the "bullshots" so I'd say some of them at least were actual in-game shots, just downsampled.

Yeah... I quite like it when a new game comes out and we can't comfortably "max" it. Though, I want that reason to be tied to fancy new rendering techniques that really push the envelope. NOT poor optimization.

Asd202

Hmm I wonder if my 570 would be able to run this game at 30fps with lowest settings. But I won't risk buying the game lol.

Denton

Running through Paris, with the crowds and all - I get 45-60 fps with FXAA and everything else maxed out. Some odd stuttering though, might be loading..

Runs better than Black Flag guys. lol

TXAA in Paris = Death -- 8fps. lol

Sounds like nVidia has some optimizing to do.

Anyway, performance sounds as expected and generally fine. I don't need maxed and FXAA is fine for me, so 60fps will hopefully be attainable, maybe with some slight dips. Borderless FTW.

Kinthalis

Banned
I see a lot of aliasing in this shot:

acu2014-11-1019-57-297cs0x.png

And that's on top of that muddy look TXAA gives. I'm not a fan of these screens in terms of IQ....

Da fuq? Where?

And console games must gouge out your eyes if you see jaggies in that shot.

Skyzard

Banned

Runs better than Black Flag guys. lol

TXAA in Paris = Death -- 8fps. lol So Paris is definitely alot more demanding than any prologue sequence.

Blah.

Any screenshots? MSAA please.

Damian.

Banned
Aight guys, got to Paris. Gonna put on FXAA and see how it goes.

I read Paris as Boston, and it scared the shit out of me with horrible flashbacks. Perfect 60fps turned into 20's in a heartbeat. :/

Try and lower the detail setting one notch, In III/IV a lot of the hitching was fixed by setting this lower.

MayMay

Banned
Actually, I died once and it restarted and now its 15-20fps with TXAA. Probably heavily depends on whats going on atm

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I remember when the X800XT came out and how amazing it was that you could run Half-Life 2 at 1600x1200 and maintain a nearly stable and hugely impressive 40fps.

Now it seems that if the game doesn't run at 120fps then the game is literally unplayable.

Alasfree

I suspect that this game will really shine with some good downsampling. If a 780 pulls 50fps with MSAA it could be doable on a single gpu at 30fps.

edit: nvm,i read the other posts.

UrbanRats

Nice.
I'm worried about the stuttering, since it made Watch Dogs unplayable for me, no matter what setting i would have, but i hope i'll get around it somehow.

Also, i think the screens look gorgeous, i'm not sure what people calling it an upscaled vita game are smoking.

Actually, I died once and it restarted and now its 15-20fps with TXAA. Probably heavily depends on whats going on atm

NVM then, that seems horrible.
I wonder what is so taxing.

EDIT: Oh, read your second post as FXAA.. on TXAA being taxing isn't surprising.

UnrealEck

Some people hate tweaking settings. I fucking love it. I like getting a new game and finding a spot where the framerate drops to the lowest point. Then I try changing settings to find which ones have the biggest impact on performance. I'll tweak until I get my target framerate and then I'll be done and able to play with the lowest graphical compromise to achieve the performance I want.

Denton

I read Paris as Boston, and it scared the shit out of me with horrible flashbacks. Perfect 60fps turned into 20's in a heartbeat. :/

Never understood this. I finished AC3 on GTX560Ti+2500K and it was solid 60 inside cities as well. But obviously not everything was maxed.

-griffy-

Banned
There are no jaggies in the shot.I think this is just TXAA 4x, blurring the distant textures. TXAA looks better in motion that in stills, IMHO.
I think it's just the game. Their trailers have the same issue. The LOD on detail textures seems disappointingly low or something. Any wide shots of the bigger buildings or city shots all just have smudgy textures that make it look like the 3D buildings in Google maps or something.

This sounds about what I expected, the odd stuttering thing included. With some tweaking, unless there is some specific CPU bound aspect, it sounds like you could keep a near 60 fps framerate, but the stuttering, that I suspect is just the Ubisoft openworld trademark lately.

Kiru

I remember when the X800XT came out and how amazing it was that you could run Half-Life 2 at 1600x1200 and maintain a nearly stable and hugely impressive 40fps.

Now it seems that if the game doesn't run at 120fps then the game is literally unplayable.

The other day I realized that the PAL version of Majora's Mask ran at 16 fps.... People really go crazy about fps nowadays

ISee

Odd stuttering could be because of VRAM size and too high textures. What is your Cards VRAM size 3 or 4 gb?

Kinthalis

Banned
Maybe the drop to the 20s in cutsceenes is because the game uses totaly different polygonmodells and higher Textures right at the moment? Or more tessellation? or it's just broken. Or I am just stupid.

How are your fps without any kind of AA? Just being curious.

And thx for the effort!

The OP doesn't have the latets patch isntalled, which mentiones fixing performance during cutscenes.. so who know what's up.

Altairre

Come on now, don't be reasonable. We're having way too much fun yelling over here.

Yibby

Is there pop-in of clothes like in the console versions ? Where people change their outfits when you run around the city.

patapuf

Nice.
I'm worried about the stuttering, since it made Watch Dogs unplayable for me, no matter what setting i would have, but i hope i'll get around it somehow.

Also, i think the screens look gorgeous, i'm not sure what people calling it an upscaled vita game are smoking.

NVM then, that seems horrible.
I wonder what is so taxing.

TXAA as opposed to FXAA

With the drivers, and TXAA disabled (I'm on 4xMSAA) I get around 45-50fps during regular gameplay (in the beginning scene that I also used to capture those screenshots) and cutscenes. The cutscenes still drop into 20s though whenever there's a closeup on a face for some weird reason

Damn, this performance is good. I might be able to play in 4K without SLI :D

Going to see how the stuttering is and how SLI is. I'm not going to deal with Watch Dogs type situation again.

Black Flag ran quite well on 4K on my rig though.

MayMay

Banned
Is there pop-in of clothes like in the console versions ? Where people change their outfits when you run around the city.

Yes.. and its very noticable.

Alright after some more running around in the open world it sometimes drops to 35-38, when alot of stuff is going on. Big space with lots of ppl. Never drops below 30 though - for all its worth. That is, maxed with FXAA.

Skyzard

Banned
I think it's just the game. Their trailers have the same issue. The LOD on detail textures seems disappointingly low or something. Any wide shots of the bigger buildings or city shots all just have smudgy textures that make it look like the 3D buildings in Google maps or something.

It's appalling.

It's MAX too!

:'(

This is indeed annoying as hell.
For example Watch Dogs. Everywhere I go I read about what a shit port it was, and yet I played it and finished it in much higher quality than on any console, both graphics and framerate-wise.

Exactly.

Nothing we can do about it, a PC port must run at 120fps on a toaster otherwise it's not optimized. Tech illiterate folks will complain regardless of evidence presented to them.

I guess. We can keep doing what we're doing so far, which is to add some voices of reason in these threads and hope that most people will be smart enough to ignore the unreasonable posts.

AXE

Running something at "max" is not a clear metric since max settings means something different for every game.

If you have some taxing settings they'll tax even high end GPU's. Turn them off for 60 FPS.

I wasn't expecting anything big because of the parity crap, but I certainly was expecting a solid 30 FPS with a 700-series GPU on a PC. I might check into this game later on, but I'm currently rocking a 780ti and running things on 1440p... so thats that.

Shouldn't have to consider downgrading my monitor to have a game running properly, since I doubt that even an SLI of 780tis won't run this without hiccups.

Guri

I learnt a while back to wait a bit before buying Ubi games. Maybe after some patches. Also, their products got more expensive here lately, so I can wait at least until mid-2015 to play AC Unity. Hopefully vendors and Ubisoft can optimise and fix the issues. Of course, maxing everything may never work, but at least get it to a stable 60 fps with settings that should work with a great hardware.

Yibby

Yes.. and its very noticable.

Alright after some more running around in the open world it sometimes drops to 35-38, when alot of stuff is going on. Big space with lots of ppl. Never drops below 30 though - for all its worth. That is, maxed with FXAA.

Oh man, so this is more like a bug and not something related to the power of the consoles.

I see a lot of aliasing in this shot:

acu2014-11-1019-57-297cs0x.png

And that's on top of that muddy look TXAA gives. I'm not a fan of these screens in terms of IQ....
Do a comparison with 4X MSAA or *shudders* FXAA and it'll likely be clear how much less aliased TXAA is. 8XMSAA is probably better but that's a pretty dramatic performance hog.

Some people hate tweaking settings. I fucking love it. I like getting a new game and finding a spot where the framerate drops to the lowest point. Then I try changing settings to find which ones have the biggest impact on performance. I'll tweak until I get my target framerate and then I'll be done and able to play with the lowest graphical compromise to achieve the performance I want.
Yep, its all about hitting the sweet spot, be it GPU, CPU, or game tuning. Tailor made, it's half the fun.

Haven't read through the entire thread, but weren't there a bunch of Ubi devs who went to a school and told the students that MS and Sony were pushing for 30fps parity on PC aswell?

Your performance seems to align with that

Kezen

Banned
I guess. We can keep doing what we're doing so far, which is to add some voices of reason in these threads and hope that most people will be smart enough to ignore the unreasonable posts.

I really don't mean to sound condenscending, I hope I didn't come across as such (sorry if I did) but as a 10 years old PC gamer it's really strange to see so many PC gamers having such poor (or nonexistant) knowledge of technology, this is, for better or worse, extremely useful when playing on PC.
Just look at posts immediately writing off the port because a 780 could only manage 30fps with 4xTXAA....While that's exactly how it should be.

1362959270a9V2nme9e6_6_5.gif

Here you can see how taxing TXAA/MSAA are. A 780 is nowhere near 60fps on Crysis 3 with this AA, does that mean the game is a cursory PC port ?
Of course not.

Top Bottom