• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity - Review Thread

BurnsyDelight

Neo Member
http://www.slashgear.com/assassins-creed-unity-review-11354959/ SlashGear Review - yes, sort of. Not really.

SOgp56q.jpg

mid83

Are there any PS4 or PC specific reviews? It seems like everybody played the Xbox One version. Not saying it would make a difference, but it would be nice to know if things are any better on the platforms I actually own.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
I need to calm down myself. Despite all the bad impressions I'm still gonna check this out and see it with my own eyes..

because I already preordered the game.

ryan299

Are there too many cooks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGrOK8oZG8

Too soon? I was iffy about this game to begin with but now seeing these reviews I think I'm just going to play rogue which looks really fun. I really think Ubi needs to give this franchise a break.

We have two main games this year and its probably going to be the same next year. Rogue is going to come out on Ps4 and x1 as well as a brand new one. Like COD this series is dying, which sucks cuz I love the AC games.

Well gee, I wonder why.

z8ch1aO.jpg

Game informer is owned by gamestop right? Would you expect any less? I dont even remember the last time a bad AAA game got less then an 8 from them. At least when it comes to the games they know will be hot sellers. AC Unity is a hot item so why would they score it badly when their readers are made up by subscribers at their stores?

Nicktendo86

I didn't review the game, but I played an early copy.

These are 8 concerning things I experienced in Assassin's Creed Unity's first 2-3 hours:

http://www.ign.com/blogs/jdavisign/2014/11/11/8-real-things-i-experienced-in-assassins-creed-unity/

(Also this is probably the worst AC since 1).

Edit: I see GAF was faster than me on this one. So... there you go.
When I say that Ubisoft perfectly represents why I despise the way the industry is going and people question me I can point to this. Perfect list that sets out everthing.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Meh, whatever. I'm still enjoying the game.

That is all that matters. I really enjoyed the post patch Aliens Colonial Marines on PC. It doesn't matter to me the review scores or what GAF thinks of it.

Skyzard

Banned
This is really not on though:

I tried to open a treasure chest, but was told I needed the Assassin’s Creed companion app to open it, with no additional information or context.

I tried to open another treasure chest, and was told I needed to sign up for Assassin’s Creed Initiates to open it.

From the 8 concerning things link. That's just not right.

That's F2P shit right there.

Menome

Well gee, I wonder why.

z8ch1aO.jpg

AC Unity:
Videogamer.com - 8/10

Sunset Overdrive
Videogamer.com - 6/10

166.gif

Also, where is the BioGamer Review?

1.) Marketing and review departments are kept as separate as possible for most big websites/magazines, to the point where reviewers sometimes won't even know the names of who's in marketing.

2.) Two reviews by two different people. Plus after hearing Steve Burns on their podcast being able to explain in greater detail, I can see why he gave it a 6/10. I may not agree with the score on a personal level, but it's completely justified with the direction he was coming from.

phaze

Well this reviewed much worse than I expected. I hoped this would be a return to form after Black Flag and AC3. :(

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
WTF is this?
A rare glitch that Snake has been spamming in every AC Unity thread, ironic because they actually prove that the cutscenes are realtime, something that he was adamant about disproving.

Game informer is owned by gamestop right? Would you expect any less? I dont even remember the last time a bad AAA game got less then an 8 from them. At least when it comes to the games they know will be hot sellers. AC Unity is a hot item so why would they score it badly when their readers are made up by subscribers at their stores?

This. SO much this.

Gator86

I wonder if Ubisoft even cares.

Ubisoft cares about their metacritic a lot. They know, for better or worse, it has an impact on sales and general reception. They can't be happy their biggest IP is getting less than 9s. At this point, Ubisoft seems way too bloated to survive an Assassin's Creed turndown so they better hope sales don't match the review slump.

BeforeJam

Neo Member
Seems like Rogue should have been this years release with Unity getting a additional year to bake...

This is what I would have preferred. Considering Rogue is the far more interesting game of the two anyway, I would have accepted a cross-gen release if it meant Unity had a chance of being good.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
By reading the reviews there is absolutely nothing this game improves upon outside of the parkour elements.

Except they completely changed the stealth element of the game, by basically using a simplified version of what they did in the latest splinter cell. It (imho) completely changes for the better the way you play the missions, since you don't have to follow a set path from one point to another that the level designer planned for you. It allows for a lot more freedom in how you plan an assassination, much more than any other AC game since AC1 at least.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Most of the time review copies of a game are held back because it's not good. But I suspect that Rogue's review copies were held back because it's better than Unity. Ubisoft didn't want the re-skin overshadowing their shiny new thing.

Nabbis

A 7 has been a bad game since the last generation. It is bullshit when you have a 1-10 scale, but let's not kid ourselves.

It's the reviewers own fault, the AAA market grade inflation could be compared to ivy league collages. It's made with lot's of $$$, it must be good.

Top Bottom