• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity -- The graphics "leap" we've all been waiting for.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The game doesn't look different from the PC shots in this thread compared hown it actually looks on consoles
That share function is totally killing the IQ of the game, which is weird as other games look fine when captured, must be filter that's effecting it when captured + compression.

So there is no difference between 900p and 1080p/higher?

theWB27

Christ, the IQ on the consoles is ridiculously bad. Has anyone figured out why it's like that? It looks even worse than I'd expect from 900p and FXAA.
Then again, maybe it's mostly compression? Are any of the PS4 shots in here lossless, or at least "less lossy"?

My shots are from the USB method using Minus to upload. Even when playing...some times it could get bad to me. Which is one of the reasons I thought the PC looked so much better (in comparison) than I'm usually accustomed to seeing.

camac002

Christ, the IQ on the consoles is ridiculously bad. Has anyone figured out why it's like that? It looks even worse than I'd expect from 900p and FXAA.
Then again, maybe it's mostly compression? Are any of the PS4 shots in here lossless, or at least "less lossy"?

I have to admit, everytime I see PS4 screens, it surprises me, because that's not how blurry the game is to me. Could be my settings on TV compensating though, I think I have it setup right at the point where the sharpness is good without introducing extra crap.

I was also surprised that you can trigger Elise's cutscene lod hair in game if you get close enough. For some reason I thought it would only ever be in cutscenes.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
By the end of this console cycle we'll likely have better looking/performing open world games on consoles.

I'm saying this cause it's almost bipolar how this forum turns from lynching Ubisoft for trying to shoehorn their game onto these new consoles in record time to praising their "vision" on a dime.

theWB27

By the end of this console cycle we'll likely have better looking/performing open world games on consoles.

I'm saying this cause it's almost bipolar how this forum turns from lynching Ubisoft for trying to shoehorn their game onto these new consoles in record time to praising their "vision" on a dime.

Not the same people?

Feebastic

I'm really glad this thread got made. For all the shit that this game deserves (and there's quite a lot) it's nice to give the artists some recognition for the hard work they put in, which does yield amazing results in images like these. After all, it's not their fault the higher-ups rushed the game!

(Still not buying it though.)

DOWN

Banned
So there is no difference between 900p and 1080p/higher?

Still via the compressed PS4 Share, but via USB. TV definitely sharpens mine up nicer:
15586195709_7d8a803327_o.jpg

15770152231_9d7caf104d_o.jpg

15152068924_ef770b9fec_o.jpg

15586195609_c31b7ffdfc_o.jpg

15748318426_a65bbd1bd6_o.jpg

15760743756_1011fb1060_o.jpg

15786002892_8eb2c05813_o.jpg

15164482284_64ccbcd24b_o.jpg

15599268687_0e4816b50e_o.jpg

15599013858_659312bd00_o.jpg

15782560311_2bf6d2f637_o.jpg

The game doesn't look different from the PC shots in this thread compared hown it actually looks on consoles
That share function is totally killing the IQ of the game, which is weird as other games look fine when captured, must be filter that's effecting it when captured + compression.
no, I have it on PS4 and the PC footage and pics are killing me. The essence and depth is there on consoles, but my god it does not look near as godly.

luca_29_bg

What an immature way to voice an opinion.

Anyway, I am not that impressed to be honest. For every great painting-like we get from this game (the interiors are beautifully rendered) the game in motion drags the whole visual fidelity down. Shame, because I really love the art of this game.

I don't think that truth is immature. Maybe i have been a little rude, but linear games always win in comparison with open world games. Budget/ambitions/ in the same proportion for both projects are a necessity, of course. In

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This fucking screenshot. If someone told me this was from some live action show and the main guy was CGI'd in, id believe them. Everything looks near enough real (in a cheap TV show set kind of way) except for the main character. That hair :O
The best part is that this is a screenshot of the ps4 version.

SJRB

Gold Member
Sony has quite a few improvements to make with the screenshots feature. I've been mashing the share button like never before, but everytime I export them to USB and look at them on my PC they look like garbage. Compressed, color balance off, blurry even.

They look much worse than the actual output on my tv. Which is extremely unfortunate, because the visuals in this game really are some next-level stuff.

thelastword

Banned
Here's a clunky offscreen gif of a 60fps original Xbox game:
ral2lyhg.gif
I think the DC gif is a better approximation of it's quality than your offscreen gif. A direct feed gif is definitely more genuine than an offscreen one. Even with that advantage, it's an old old game on the og xbox at sub-hd, where you can see the chunky trees and low detail car model at first view.

Let someone load DC up and play and let someone load RS2 up and play, after they've seen these gifs, then we'll hear about their reactions to the gif vs game, it won't even be close.

aeolist

Banned
good lighting really is the best way to make your game look impressive

i seriously wish more devs would concentrate on GI + AO even at the cost of other effects and overall polycount. simple graphics + amazing lighting is far better than the other way around.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

i seriously wish more devs would concentrate on GI + AO even at the cost of other effects and overall polycount. simple graphics + amazing lighting is far better than the other way around.

Yep, lighting + materials and textures realism trumps high resolution models.

I really look forward to some game like Skyrim with graphics like ACU. The lighting was really nice in Skyrim.

thelastword

Banned
Is there a reason why people are posting these tiny Unity pics, they look so lovely in small pics, but blow that sucker up to native pic res and it's a blurry story with lots of aliasing. As I said, nice art, nice lighting, the character models are not impressive especially the 10000 npc's littered about. It does some nice things, but it's pretty jarring in others, the graphical beauty of a game must be judged as a whole. There should be a perfect balance to everything.

TyrantII

Except ACU isn't doing GI. Its very well done prebaked lighting complemented with great use of dynamics. Which makes the point stronger.

Think TLoU, not Driveclub/UT4 demo

That's a good way to make me lose respect for a youtuber.

Indeed. TotalBs doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

Anyway, some moar pics:

imHuIb1uShm97.jpg

i15TiMdjlcPcv.jpg

ibbwQiDC2zQyUG.jpg

iye8IdGTO4xiv.jpg

There's some shadow scaling issues, but I'm happy enough with them. Hoping against hope for a LOD fix since I have the perfect shot but it's ruined by low res building assets :(

aeolist

Banned
Except ACU isn't doing GI. Its very well done prebaked lighting complemented with great use of dynamics. Which makes the point stronger.

that's a shame, but not too surprising given that it's an open world game running on low-end octa-core hardware

pre-baked lighting can obviously still look great though

Well, in fact Unity is doing is doing GI, but a static one (hence pre-baked) not a dynamic one. The static one algorithmic gives better screen results than the dynamic ones because it is in its early ages and very limited and approximative and there is no way any machine on earth can do dynamic GI in complex let alone open world games like Unity. Maybe in 5 years and with the enxt-gen too. I can't go into more details otehrwise many won't understand and I also don't have time too.

TyrantII

pre-baked lighting can obviously still look great though

If you don't need a day night cycle, there really no reason to spend the resources on GI with advances in prebaked lighting blends. Its a lot of resources that could be better used, even in conjunction with lighting, to make a better looking render.

GI is the future, but tech still had a ways to go before it doesn't involve trade offs.

Loris146

There's some shadow scaling issues, but I'm happy enough with them. Hoping against hope for a LOD fix since I have the perfect shot but it's ruined by low res building assets :(

Amazing stuff.

If you don't need a day night cycle, there really no reason to spend the resources on GI with advances in prebaked lighting blends. Its a lot of resources that could be better used, even in conjunction with lighting, to make a better looking render.

GI is the future, but tech still had a ways to go before it doesn't involve trade offs.

Yep that and also if your character isn't a fancy source of lights with emissive materials that blinds everyone which gets in touch with him then it its ok.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Anyway, some moar pics:

imHuIb1uShm97.jpg

i15TiMdjlcPcv.jpg

ibbwQiDC2zQyUG.jpg

iye8IdGTO4xiv.jpg

PC or PS4?

If they patch LoD I am back in.

adelante

The direct lighting from the neon sign has no way of hitting the lower right door panel, it should only be illuminating the top dashboard if the game only had direct lighting. The light is bouncing off the dash and windscreen onto the lower passenger door panel.

oiolyr.jpg

In terms of the gif, you'll be hard pressed to find that kind of realistic uniformity in lighting without GI, especially in a game that supports a full 24h time change. The devs already said it themselves their GI solution is one of the reasons why DC is 30fps.

http://a.pomf.se/oiolyr.jpg[//img]

That is inconsistent. It should also illuminate the bottom floor too. But I'll give you that.

That's cool. I still think AC:U looks better and has more going on.[/QUOTE]

I'm with VFX on this. I've said it before and I think it's worth reiterating here: global illumination is a blanket term for various lighting technologies, but more recently used to refer to indirect illumination, real-time radiosity, color bleeding, etc. I've never seen GI being talked about in the same way by the DC developers; it's always spoken in the context of the game's dynamic time of day feature being able to casts accurate lighting and shadows. If someone could point out otherwise, that'd be greatly appreciated.

And I feel that GI is best illustrated under bright midday settings (in DC, everything in shadows during the day take a cooler hue so its no surprise the overall tone in that DC gif is blue-ish) I've been playing around quite a bit with the demo and the environmental lighting don't exhibit GI the same way AC:U or The Division does...the latter being another [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rswbHdQHxwE"]great implementation of GI[/URL] and it's pretty clear DC is missing that feature (a timelapse DC video shows what I mean: [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qpLCUA_1Ko[/url])

Jhn

Still via the compressed PS4 Share, but via USB. TV definitely sharpens mine up nicer:
My shots are from the USB method using Minus to upload. Even when playing...some times it could get bad to me. Which is one of the reasons I thought the PC looked so much better (in comparison) than I'm usually accustomed to seeing.

Thanks!
It'd be cool if someone with actual capture equipment could throw in a png or two, as even the USB method produces some nasty compression.
Don't really know what Sony is thinking with this, is it really to much to ask for lossless output?

thelastword

Banned
Share Function does not kill anything, have you seen the console screenshot thread where share function shots at 1080p look mindblowing, sharp and detailed? The problem is with the game, it's low resolution on PS4 coupled with a blurry post processing AA solution, in essence, bad IQ.

VanWinkle

Man, those PC screenshots in this thread are so amazing. It shows that, with proper good IQ, this is one of the best looking games ever.

Herne

I'm only on sequence seven (I think) and Luxembourg Palace looks so amazing, it pisses me off that all we saw of Versailles was a few small rooms and the inner courtyard. There I am, standing on the rooftops in Versailles town, looking towards the massive chateau, knowing I can't get there. As a history buff, it's really disappointing.

Getting okay performance out of my i5 2500, 7970 and 12GB, but I really should turn up all the effects and take some nice screenshots... FXAA doesn't do the job at all, really.

Genio88

Elise in-game face isn't as good as the cut-scene one, though it's still pretty nice, taken from PC version maxed out and fxaa
15618311407_110d577b98_o.png

15618272037_427dd96305_o.png

15805077212_372355c356_o.png

Pop

Let me try to imagine what the PS4 version could and should have looked like.

But I guess this is why they make PC's.

martino

no, I have it on PS4 and the PC footage and pics are killing me. The essence and depth is there on consoles, but my god it does not look near as godly.

this stays really good shoots imo

I'm with VFX on this. I've said it before and I think it's worth reiterating here: global illumination is a blanket term for various lighting technologies, but more recently used to refer to indirect illumination, real-time radiosity, color bleeding, etc. I've never seen GI being talked about in the same way by the DC developers; it's always spoken in the context of the game's dynamic time of day feature being able to casts accurate lighting and shadows. If someone could point out otherwise, that'd be greatly appreciated.

And I feel that GI is best illustrated under bright midday settings (in DC, everything in shadows during the day take a cooler hue so its no surprise the overall tone in that DC gif is blue-ish) I've been playing around quite a bit with the demo and the environmental lighting don't exhibit GI the same way AC:U or The Division does...the latter being another great implementation of GI and it's pretty clear DC is missing that feature (a timelapse DC video shows what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qpLCUA_1Ko)
In fact this is weird. DriveClub GI is really weird. It is clear thet DC uses dynamic GI in the day (otherwise shadows created by objects obstructing sunlight will be completely dark black and not having dimmer shades. The weird thing is that this doesn't get applied to moonlight where shadows next to directly lit areas are compeletely lit areas. Maybe this is due to the use of Simul trueksy which creates a dynamic sky system with volumetric clouds that get lit by unlight anf ovstruct sunlight when they hide the sun and then dazzle the view when they expose it but maybe their system doesnt work with moonlight well. Well for Unity, and why it looks great. Well Unity uses static GI that always gets you almost exact results that always look better compared to dynamic GI using dynamic sources fo light which most of the time result in flickering shadows and reflections. It seems like the dynamic GI at nights is only used in car lights and you can see here that the lit red car boucnes red light on the dashboard and the same goes for yellow car. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139077655&postcount=465 Also the lit back wall bounces light on the dashboard: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139047361&postcount=406

The division is using dynamic GI only in lamps and in narrow closed doors environments only and that is why the results look better than in open spaces like in DC. It is just a question of approximations and calculations. Well I have been studiying/using/learning about GI for a while now and this stuff is very interesting.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Actually it comes down to what looks good on screen. :) And Unity has it beat.
You're not experiencing games in static screens when you play them. When you see DC in motion, and the see the lights and shadows change in a completely uncanny way when the day starts turning into night and vice versa, it's a very different story than just looking and nitpicking some static screen. You wouldn't have such a thing to witness in ACU.

You're not experiencing games in static screens when you play them. When you see DC in motion, and the see the lights and shadows change in a completely uncanny way when the day starts turning into night and vice versa, it's a very different story than just looking and nitpicking some static screen. You wouldn't have such a thing to witness in ACU.

Well he is right and wrong at same time. He is right when says Unity GI looks good because a static GI will always give more accurate bettr looking results that use due to precise calculations that are limited in a certain domain. When it goes to technical level, DC dynamic GI cuased by the sunlight directional dynamic lights and the dyanmic lights from car lamps it is more impressive technically than Unity GI cus it is realtime not baked and eats more ressources eventhough it gives less good results (flickering shadows and less accurate indirect lit areas or moving meshes). So techwie, DC GI is better, eyedandywise, Unity GI looks better.

Genio88

I remember Watch Dogs was wonderful to see during rainy night time and less during sunny day time, while Unity is great during sunny day time thanks to its awesome light and building texture, while during night/rain time is a bit worse, cause it doesn't have the same good rain as Watch Dogs, and it doesn't fill dinamically the streets

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Share Function does not kill anything, have you seen the console screenshot thread where share function shots at 1080p look mindblowing, sharp and detailed? The problem is with the game, it's low resolution on PS4 coupled with a blurry post processing AA solution, in essence, bad IQ.
Yeah but it still doesn't look like that, is this so hard to understand?
When I take a shot it looks like some un-stabilised photo compared to what it actually is outputting.
And I've never had this problem with the share feature before but this game really doesn't capture well on PS4
And most captures are under 300kb so they are compressed to fuck.

Sorry but the order destroy this game, at least for me, unity is open world, yes, so just for this reason it's not so next gen for me. Open world games can't touch linear games on technical level, and will be in this way for… er.. some time.

I agree!
Unity looks really good, but it's a buggy mess.
What we have seen of The Order: 1886 looks better imho.

I'm arguing that eyecandywise it's not cut and dry, because dynamic GI allows you to observe these lighting changes as they happen in front you dynamically. With baked lights you don't have such a thing to witness to.

Well I didin't formulate it very well. I meant in terms of accuracy and exact results, it looks sharper and nicer. there are no artefacts and bugs, no flcikering shadows, no blocky reflections like with Dynamic GI. Seeing dynamic GI being done in real time is cool but when it creates such flaws it doesn't look nice. But liek you said the principle is good to see, that is why I said it is technically better.

Alienous

The programmers at Ubisoft Montreal really let the art and animation teams down. Had this been a solid game it would have been a sight to behold.

It's gorgeous looking, absolutely.

Let me try to imagine what the PS4 version could and should have looked like.

But I guess this is why they make PC's.

Indeed, the PC screens in this thread make it look amazing. Maybe in a few years, the PS4 versions of AC games will come close.

Almost makes me wish I didn't swear off Ubisoft PC ports because of all the technical headaches I experienced in the past.

DOWN

Banned
The programmers at Ubisoft Montreal really let the art and animation teams down. Had this been a solid game it would have been a sight to behold.

I wouldn't even say that. I think Ubisoft corporate let the teams down by not granting a delay like Watch Dogs received. Time would likely have really saved a lot of the tech issues.

UrbanRats

You mean the suits shitting this game out before it was ready, to not miss their stupid "one game a year" deadline, let everybody (AC fans included) down.

Top Bottom