• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity -- The graphics "leap" we've all been waiting for.

Yasae

Banned
The grass rendering "leap" we've been waiting for
Meanwhile in 2006...

XEHOcfC.jpg

Joeki11a

Banned
Their are some interiors that look super amazing, in fact the best visuals and lighting are in there areas. Outside is all about Crowd Density.

Arno suit looks almost photo realistic and add extract detail.

Beautiful. I'm not picking this up for anything close to full price, but I knew I wasn't mad to suggest that there's good reason why this game is harder to run. So many PC owners have been spoiled with six years or so of easily hitting 1080p and 60fps on console ports, and expect things to still be the same.

That was when games were generally running at 720p, if that.

benzy

oiolyr.jpg

That is inconsistent. It should also illuminate the bottom floor too. But I'll give you that.

Not sure why the bottom floor would be illuminated considering it's underneath the dashboard and away from the stronger indirect light projections. I also wouldn't expect the floor to get any bouncing light from the very dim lighting of the door panel.

If you wanted more proof, here you can see the direct light source of the taillights lighting up the wall, with the indirect lighting of the wall bouncing through the windshield and onto parts of the interior and your hands.

pscffb.gif

That's cool. I still think AC:U looks better and has more going on.

Sure, and I would agree on PC it destroys DC just thanks to the increase in image quality, but since we were talking about lighting, it still comes down to pre-baked lighting vs real-time GI with 24h lighting cycle.

Incredible on PC, no doubt, but on consoles it's a complete mess. The game only hits 30FPS when you're in a Rift and can walk around a city with no NPCs in it; any time you're in Paris proper the performance is pure dogshit. I don't think you can give them credit for the graphics when it's so clear how they've achieved them. They sacrificed the framerate, end of story. The whole point of optimizing a video game is getting the best graphics you can while still having it run at 30FPS, and Ubisoft hasn't done that. Think how much better every other game would look if the devs only had to target 20FPS instead of 30.

Incredible on PC, no doubt, but on consoles it's a complete mess. The game only hits 30FPS when you're in a Rift and can walk around a city with no NPCs in it; any time you're in Paris proper the performance is pure dogshit. .
I've seen a lot of PS4 live streams and although the streamers are sanguine about the bugs, they pretty much all say the same thing: the game is fun and the ratings of circa 7 to 8 out of 10 - taking everything into account - are about right.

So I think this meme that is a complete mess (or pure dogshit, using your words) on PS4 is one of those convenient strawman arguments trotted out when the poster is about to go on to make a point about ubisoft or platform war or whatever. And in many cases the person typing it probably doesn't even own a copy.

So I think this meme that is a complete mess (or pure dogshit, using your words) on PS4 is one of those convenient strawman arguments trotted out when the poster is about to go on to make a point about ubisoft or platform war or whatever. And in many cases the person typing it probably doesn't even own a copy.

I've been playing the PS4 version for the past three days, and I am 100% confident in my assertion that it is a complete and utter fucking mess. The framerate is never stable for a moment. I've downloaded all the patches, tried the game offline and I see no difference. This isn't a game that has framerate hitches; this is a game that starts at 'hitchy' and then gets worse. The only game I can remember playing with worse performance is the licensed Captain America game for the 360 that came out with the first movie.

HeelPower

As an artist in the industry, this game is one of the most fantastic artistic achievement in this medium. It's absolutely incredible. You have no idea how much witchcraft is used to achieve this... The amount of varied npc's on screen at once with unique animations, dynamic interaction and material/texture variety is insane. Having so many interiors with such dense and rich setdressing even matching some linear titles makes my head spin.

Walking down the slummy areas at night surrounded by npc's all completely distinct and unique has been a dream of mine since I started doing game art.

The performance/ui/gameplay however... Not so much. But it gets an absolute pass to me for achieving such an incredible masterpiece in realtime art.

A huge part of unity's beauty can be attributed to its fantastic art direction.Its superbly colored and has some amazing architecture.

Sure, and I would agree on PC it destroys DC just thanks to the increase in image quality, but since we were talking about lighting, it still comes down to pre-baked lighting vs real-time GI with 24h lighting cycle.

Actually it comes down to what looks good on screen. :) And Unity has it beat.

Cuyejo

Not sure why the bottom floor would be illuminated considering it's underneath the dashboard and away from the stronger indirect light projections. I also wouldn't expect the floor to get any bouncing light from the very dim lighting of the door panel.

If you wanted more proof, here you can see the direct light source of the taillights lighting up the wall, with the indirect lighting of the wall bouncing through the windshield and onto parts of the interior and your hands.

pscffb.gif

DC definitely has indirect lighting, in fact it sports one of the most robust lighting engines I've ever seen, for example, god rays legitimately behave like actual real life god rays do.

K' Dash

As an artist in the industry, this game is one of the most fantastic artistic achievement in this medium. It's absolutely incredible. You have no idea how much witchcraft is used to achieve this... The amount of varied npc's on screen at once with unique animations, dynamic interaction and material/texture variety is insane. Having so many interiors with such dense and rich setdressing even matching some linear titles makes my head spin.

Walking down the slummy areas at night surrounded by npc's all completely distinct and unique has been a dream of mine since I started doing game art.

The performance/ui/gameplay however... Not so much. But it gets an absolute pass to me for achieving such an incredible masterpiece in realtime art.

Exactly my thoughts, well said Good Sir.

I'm playing on PS4 and can say the game still looks mindblowing, I'm definetly double dipping eventually to see what my 780 can do to this game, but I'm pretty happy with how it looks on my PS4, now if they can patch it to fix the framerate, that would be glorious.

This is the first REAL Current-Gen game, absolutely fantastic looking piece of software, it is even more impressive if you take into account the open world and scale, Ubi are wizards.

ufo8mycat

Not on consoles :p

It's been so visually disappointing on PS4. It doesn't just look "not good". In my opinion (and my roommates), it just straight up looks pretty bad or really rough.

For the type of hardware thats in PS4, I still think AC Unity looks amazing on it
Heres a quick screenshot I took
Its a shame the PS4 picture capture compresses the heck out of the detail but oh well

15800127695_d0760a3f5e_b.jpg

15614954027_0ba81f6ba8_b.jpg

Keep in mind PS4s crappy picture capturing method

For the type of hardware thats in PS4 (low-end by todays standards), it looks great IMO. I don't think it looks visually disappointing at all

K' Dash

For the type of hardware thats in PS4, I still think AC Unity looks amazing on it
Heres a quick screenshot I took
Its a shame the PS4 picture capture compresses the heck out of the detail but oh well

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5609/15798026071_ec4f048f55_b.jpg[/MG]

Keep in mind PS4s crappy picture capturing method

For the type of hardware thats in PS4 (low-end by todays standards), it looks great IMO. I don't think it looks visually disappointing at all[/QUOTE]

That pic is not helping your case, but yeah, the game is beautiful on PS4 too.

fernoca

Yep. PS4 version might not offer the...clarity of 1080p, but looks darn great.

Gameplay wise, I'm just glad to be back to the Ezio-like AC games. But now with better visuals, a bigger scale and tons of stuff to do.

ufo8mycat

That pic is not helping your case, but yeah, the game is beautiful on PS4 too.

Looks a lot cleaner and detailed in person. You can thank the PS4s crappy image capturing tool :D

To be honest - looking at the PC screenshots, I am amazed how well it stacks up given how old the hardware is.

zkorejo

Yesterday I was solving one of the Riddles and went into the Elysium fields. The game looked really amazing there.

Even with the game running like complete ass on my PC (gonna get the PS4 version after some bugs are squashed and it goes on sale--like all AC games do usually quickly) it's absolutely gorgeous.

The hate the game gets of course comes from it being buggy and running like shit--but it's fun as hell, massive, expansive, and beautiful.

ISee

What good are graphics when the core gaming fundamentals are a broken mess.

Let me repost the first sentence OP wrote.

I'm posting this thread because we've already got threads on how shitty the gameplay/bugs/glitches/framerate are in the game. I thought I'd steer away from that conversation and focus on what the game does do right -- producing the most stunning imagery of any game this generation IMO.

Anyway thank you for your contribution. We are aware of the bugs and flaws. We are talking about the engine and the visuals atm.

Back to topic:

The real problem in the game are the NPC. Screenshots I make with NPCs start to look bad, without NPCs the game starts to look amazing.

acudownsampled1nls6e.jpg

acudownsampled2j0sb3.jpg

ufo8mycat

Let me repost the first sentence OP wrote.

Anyway thank you for your contribution. We are aware of the bugs and flaws. We are talking about the engine and the visuals atm.

Back to topic:

The real problem in the game are the NPC. Screenshots I make with NPCs start to look bad, without NPCs the game starts to look amazing.

Yeah they really stand out, when the rest of the game looks photo-realistic.

Lucent

I really hope they get the frame rate to be more stable on the consoles (PS4 at least for me) because the game looks great. I just don't want my experience to be soured by the game dropping low too much. It's weird though because in streams it looks fine. Maybe the streams somehow mask the frame rate drops?

ufo8mycat

I really hope they get the frame rate to be more stable on the consoles (PS4 at least for me) because the game looks great. I just don't want my experience to be soured by the game dropping low too much. It's weird though because in streams it looks fine. Maybe the streams somehow mask the frame rate drops?

There actually is a way you can fix the frame rate, if your TV supports it, turn on MOTION FLOW.

This will introduce a little bit of input lag, but it gets rid of the poor frame rate.

OchreHand

I absolutely love the way this game looks on the PC. When the light hits the side of the buildings just right the graphics have this "painting" quality about them.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I canceled my preorder because I was disappointment in the graphical fidelity on PS4.

Could have used a delay.

Now I will just wait for a steam sale. Oh wait.

ufo8mycat

Hey dude, if you put the screenshots you have taken on the ps4 on an usb-stick you can upload them on your pc in higher quality.

Yeah thats what I did, but for some reason the image hosting service I added to changed the resolution from 1080p to 1024x576

Qassim

Yeah, it can look really great. The pop-in of building detail and NPCs can be a little weird, but it's probably a necessary compromise.

What makes it more impressive for me is the performance, too. Getting nice consistent frametimes in the vast majority of situations (dense city streets, looking down on huge crowds from various heights, just trying to fit as much on screen as possible).

ISee

The actual game running on PS4 does not look that blurry though. Screens captured with share function are heavily compressed and blurry, so that could explain it.

I actually do not think the PS4's compression is that bad. I tried to recreate the scene as best as I could. All PC screenshots are not compressed.

1.) PC - 1080p. Ultra Settings/HBAO+/2xMSAA/PCSS

2.) PC - 900p. High Settings/SSAO/FXAA/High shadows (I think that matches the PS4 screenshot best...)

3.) PS4 direct capture screenshot (not by me...)

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member

QFT.

I started just walking around the city yesterday, trying to get all the sync points to unlock my map (something I normally do first in an AC game but for some reason hadn't this time round). I was staggered as the at the variety on offer and every time I synced Arno and the camera spun round I was gobsmacked, yes at that point the framerate dropped slightly, but it just made me want to explore more.

Slightly OT but unplugging the kinect did feck all for me, disconnecting the XB1 from the internet however made a difference.

dex3108

I cannot for the life of me understand how people can be disappointed with the graphics in this game.

Because people have different thoughts what is graphics. For some people that is resolution and IQ, for others is artstyle, others appreciate technical achievements etc.

fedexpeon

Banned
Wow...Did Ubisoft borrow Bethesda graphic engine when creating these NPC?
Geezus, I thought I was looking at screenshots from the early 2000s PC games.
The hair asset is literally just a mop on PS2 face model.

And I am pretty sure Xenosaga 2 hairs are better, especially the faces as well when comparing to these NPC.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Because people have different thoughts what is graphics. For some people that is resolution and IQ, for others is artstyle, others appreciate technical achievements etc.
I remember some saying that the game looks worse than AC4. ._.

I havn't played an Ass Creed game since the second because I got bored of them.
Im only playing Unity for the graphics.
The gameplay is so buggy and annoying.

While I can understand playing games just for the graphics and I enjoy the screenshots and the "discovering" of the environment in games... I fear I can't do this anymore, not only for the graphics. I too grew bored after the second game... that said, if Unity get's patched up and the dlc is not important for the gameplay/story, then I can see myself playing this game once it has hit a reasonable price
(what I personally define as reasonable)
as I find the time period and the city very interesting, maybe by the time it has reached that point there is another game out that surpasses it in all areas? But that probably will not be set in the same age/place as Unity.

theWB27

ibvBxld8ew1Am6.jpg

ikkc8fYGj2N6Y.jpg

ijnNxGg9wDVks.jpg

This is the PS4 version...but seeing the PC shots makes me quite sad. That leap is incredibly large. Probably the biggest I've noticed since the consoles released.

Top Bottom