• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity -- The graphics "leap" we've all been waiting for.

elelunicy

Not that 1080 isn't piddly by this point, but you are not playing those games at that resolution even with a Tri-SLI setup.

Yes, you can. All you need to do is to lock these games at 30fps, i.e. the same fps as most console games anyway.

ryseyoylg.jpg

acua4z5f.jpg

Skyzard

Banned
Some pixelation in textures/fire at that resolution. If l had your GPU setup i'd rather play with supersampling at 1080p.

How do you mean? That sounds mighty blurry in comparison, he'd be better turning on FXAA in AC:U...no? The jaggies aren't even that bad.

I don't quite understand 1080p with super sampling tbh that much :S Downsample all the way to 1080p from 2160 ?

I never like to drop that low and I tend not to bother downsampling, just playing at a higher res...should you be down sampling on a higher resolution monitor?

Once you go 4K, you don't go back, especially on a 4K screen. 1080p even with amazing AA looks lackluster in comparison. Unless of course the gameplay requires high fps/refresh-rates. I lock the newest games at 30fps and play in 4K at the best settings possible to maintain that framerate.

Some of these games nowadays just look insane on high end hardware.

The order has 100% ingame custscenes and they are even interactive. you won't stay passive in many of them and you can control what the character does like when he is checking his gun, you can move your hand to turn it around in the cutscene to check more angles of it. You can move the scope and zoom in in the part where the character is checking sth far in the cutscene. etc.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...-cinematics-and-gameplay.html#~oWq3PGmIHzhTpn

The problem I have with The Order (I looked at the gameplay footage for about 30 mins last night) is that it seems to be a 'smoke-n-mirrors' kind of game. The graphics footage looks photoreal and CG no doubt. But they are able to do that by putting the gamer on rails most of the time. During that footage, there was only 1 scene where you could both control the camera a full 360 degrees longitude and latitude as well as move the character at the same time. All the other footage was basically reminiscent of "House of the Dead" kind of gameplay. Perhaps this is what people are complaining about with the game. It's too scripted and controlled.

Seanspeed

Banned
Once you go 4K, you don't go back, especially on a 4K screen. 1080p even with amazing AA looks lackluster in comparison. Unless of course the gameplay requires high fps/refresh-rates. I lock the newest games at 30fps and play in 4K at the best settings possible to maintain that framerate.

I'd rather play in 1080p/60fps than 2160p/30fps quite honestly.

LastNac

The problem I have with The Order (I looked at the gameplay footage for about 30 mins last night) is that it seems to be a 'smoke-n-mirrors' kind of game. The graphics footage looks photoreal and CG no doubt. But they are able to do that by putting the gamer on rails most of the time. During that footage, there was only 1 scene where you could both control the camera a full 360 degrees longitude and latitude as well as move the character at the same time. All the other footage was basically reminiscent of "House of the Dead" kind of gameplay. Perhaps this is what people are complaining about with the game. It's too scripted and controlled.

Trust me. It isnt this way at all. It's linear, sure, but it certainly is no house of the dead.

Also, if you can interact than it's not a cutscene.

This game looks absolutely beautiful on PS4 as well, I'm having a great time. I just wish it was 1080p, because the resolution drop is more than noticeable after playing most games at 1080p.

I would play this on PC but I have a 6950 so I get better performance and visuals with the console version.

orava

With big screen close to you, i think it's better to have higher framerates. I currently have a 30" 1600p display and 30fps makes me feel sick, literally. I lower the resolution to 1400p or 1200p if i have to. But If i play further away in comfy couch mode, lower fps is tolerable depending on game.

Skyzard

Banned
I'd rather play in 1080p/60fps than 2160p/30fps quite honestly.

Surely it depends on the game? I assume it's a locked 60fps as well.

Same games 60fps won't make much difference vs 30fps in gameplay...but the visuals can take a hell of a jump from 1080 to 2160 (some games).

Like I wouldn't play competitive first person games in 30fps, other than that...the graphics mang.

Vitor711

Ryse cutscenes have been confirmed to be pre-rendered, but they share the same models as the gameplay.

Not all of them. Easy to see when you have a GPU that isn't capable of a locked 60FPS - the in engine stuff will drop frames whereas the videos won't.

And yeah, AC:Unity is stunning in terms of complexity and the lighting is fantastic.

However, the character models are not on a par with Ryse. Nothing is. I realise that AC:Unity is doing more, but Ryse has significantly better IQ to me. I just think it looks better. And yes, of course a linear action game would, but that's besides the point. I've yet to see anything that tops Ryse in terms of character models, especially the facial animation. AC:Unity's faces look super videogamey and suffer from the same weird low-res skin that Infamous had.

Famassu

I think inFamous: Second Son is a much more impressive game than Unity, especially given it's not such a mess IQ & performance-wise and there can be so much more chaos on screen at once.

No they aren't. Not if you have MFAA capable graphics cards (the 900-series boards).

its so well documented how useless the hardware aa methods are in this title. every single tech portal that has covered this game has come to the same conclusion, stay away from anything other than fxaa.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Not all of them. Easy to see when you have a GPU that isn't capable of a locked 60FPS - the in engine stuff will drop frames whereas the videos won't.

And yeah, AC:Unity is stunning in terms of complexity and the lighting is fantastic.

However, the character models are not on a par with Ryse. Nothing is. I realise that AC:Unity is doing more, but Ryse has significantly better IQ to me. I just think it looks better. And yes, of course a linear action game would, but that's besides the point. I've yet to see anything that tops Ryse in terms of character models, especially the facial animation. AC:Unity's faces look super videogamey and suffer from the same weird low-res skin that Infamous had.
Anyone have a screenshot of that the prophet from Ryse?

I really don't understand this.

Do people really think that Naughty Dog can do something that hasn't been implemented before at other companies and ONLY on the PS4? Like I'm not sure why people think this. The rationale seems to be that ND will produce something on the PS4 that cant' be done on a high end PC. Why? The PS4 *is* a PC albeit a downsized one.

things that cant be done on a PC? no of course not. but i think uncharted 4 will be graphically far ahead of anything on the pc for quite some time should it be a 30 fps title.

Trust me. It isnt this way at all. It's linear, sure, but it certainly is no house of the dead.

From what we've seen so far -- it is. Prove me otherwise with the current footage. I don't know about footage that's not been released yet.

Also, if you can interact than it's not a cutscene.

Disagree. I'm not sold on playing a QTE game and calling that realtime graphics. Sorry. I need as much control as possible.

KKRT00

i expect uncharted 4 to look much better than star citizen, even if star citizen does have a longer list of tech features.

Nah, it would be like saying that Crysis 3 looks worse than TLoU.
Star Citizen will be like Crysis 3, 'mid gen' game, before next gen.

its so well documented how useless the hardware aa methods are in this title. every single tech portal that has covered this game has come to the same conclusion, stay away from anything other than fxaa.

I don't get what you are saying. MFAA is an Nvidia-only feature. It will support the list of games that is on the list. Has nothing to do with Ubisoft. The other AA methods in the game are too taxing for even the best hardware. If that's a problem for you.. oh well.

I don't get what you are saying. MFAA is an Nvidia-only feature. It will support the list of games that is on the list. Has nothing to do with Ubisoft. The other AA methods in the game are too taxing for even the best hardware. If that's a problem for you.. oh well.

neither txaa nor 4xaa are too taxing, they just have extremely lousy coverage. mfaa doesnt fix anything, it just provides a perf boost for "4xaa"

neither txaa nor 4xaa are too taxing, they just have extremely lousy coverage. mfaa doesnt fix anything, it just provides a perf boost for "4xaa"

They are too taxing for AC:U. As most people gain 10fps switching to FXAA. I get the equivalent of 4XAA with the speed of FXAA. That's a good tradeoff for having a 900-series card.

They are too taxing for AC:U. As most people gain 10fps switching to FXAA. I get the equivalent of 4XAA with the speed of FXAA. That's a good tradeoff for having a 900-series card.

you dont get 4x msaa at the speed of fxaa, you get it at the speed of 2xaa. and you are missing my point. its not about performance, its the fact that msaa/txaa in this game provide horrible AA coverage

So the PS4 owners are hoping that UC4 and The Order 1886 will dethrone (graphically) anything that plays on the PC at MAX settings even though it's hardware is nowhere near as powerful? Is that what I'm hearing?

So top 2 games currently on the PC that destroy anything console related:

AC:Unity
Ryse

Hmm.. pretty bold hopes.. ;)

you dont get 4x msaa at the speed of fxaa, you get it at the speed of 2xaa. and you are missing my point. its not about performance, its the fact that msaa/txaa in this game provide horrible AA coverage

Fair enough. But what does that have to do with tea in China? The game is still taxing and beautiful regardless.

Here are 2 shots I took in my house of light bouncing and the illumination of the direct sun..

xOJJ2R.jpg

ktqDNJ.jpg

Oh how AC:Unity is so so close to realistic lighting.. :) I have yet to see another game get this close.

7skQOm.png

BeyVuj.png

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
How do you mean? That sounds mighty blurry in comparison, he'd be better turning on FXAA in AC:U...no? The jaggies aren't even that bad.

I'm looking at the screens on a 1080p monitor so it's quite a big picture to pan around. If you look closely at the fire and textures on Unity there's pixelation. You play a game at that resolution where the textures are a much lower resolution it's not going to look as good as a game designed for the resolution is all i'm saying.

I don't quite understand 1080p with super sampling tbh that much :S Downsample all the way to 1080p from 2160 ?

Downsample from 4k to 1080p.

So the PS4 owners are hoping that UC4 and The Order 1886 will dethrone (graphically) anything that plays on the PC at MAX settings even though it's hardware is nowhere near as powerful? Is that what I'm hearing?

So top 2 games currently on the PC that destroy anything console related:

AC:Unity
Ryse

Hmm.. pretty bold hopes.. ;)

pc games dont take proper advantage of the hardware. and ryse on pc is near identical to the xbone version.

delta25

Banned
Imo this thread isn't giving Killzone:Shadowfall the love it deserve in regards to technical prowess, I'm pretty sure the game is using every kind of graphics tech under the sun.

IcyEyes

Right now, in term of "how incredible this graphics looks" DriveClub is superior to AC Unity.

You (Veteran_FX) are very, very passionate about this game and this is nice, I respect that ... really, but I think you need to be a little bit more objective ... well, just saying ...

i expect uncharted 4 to look much better than star citizen, even if star citizen does have a longer list of tech features.

I suspect you will need to eat massive amount of crow.
Imo this thread isn't giving Killzone:Shadowfall the love it deserve in regards to technical prowess, I'm pretty sure the game is using every kind of graphics tech under the sun.

Yeah, it does deserve mention.

Shredderi

Yeah, it does deserve mention.

I just hope to see as much tech pushed on pc as possible because I'm in for the high end PC experience too. I've seen killzone screenshots and I get this urge to play it solely for that reason but then I see the overall gaf opinion about the game and I just don't know... Maybe if I'll get it cheap or used.

KKRT00

This many? ;)

15602258845_fa80d8ecd8_o_d.png

---
I just hope to see as much tech pushed on pc as possible because I'm in for the high end PC experience too. I've seen killzone screenshots and I get this urge to play it solely for that reason but then I see the overall gaf opinion about the game and I just don't know... Maybe if I'll get it cheap or used.
When i buy PS4, i'll definitely buy KZ:SF. I love the area lights speculars.

Right now, in term of "how incredible this graphics looks" DriveClub is superior to AC Unity.

You (Veteran_FX) are very, very passionate about this game and this is nice, I respect that ... really, but I think you need to be a little bit more objective ... well, just saying ...

Nah, AC:U is far more impressive.

Top Bottom