• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assault Android Cactus |OT| Do Androids Dream of Bullet Hell? (Multiple platforms)

S+'d every stage except for the Zone 3, 4, and 5 bosses. The time limits on bosses for S+ is so strict, if you don't manage your secondary weapon pretty much perfectly, you always fail like right before the boss is about to actually die.
It depends on the android. The S+ timing for some of them is more lenient than others'.

Paz

Man, the first boss handed my ass to me. I really am truly terrible ;___;

Ok here's the plan, I want you to pick Cactus (Not because she's better, but because she works well for learning) and I want you to focus on two things in this boss fight: First I want you to use your secondary weapon as soon as it finishes cooling down, every single time, this means watching the meter on the ground or listening to the audio trigger for a complete refill, and also standing close enough to Embryo that you actually hit him with the full charge.

Second I want you to try and follow the bullet patterns and try to find a 'safe space', for example in the first phase you can walk in front of Embryo in the V shaped area where his bullets don't catch! This really helps to reduce your number of knockdowns and let you keep using your secondary effectively.

Oh and don't forget to grab batteries/powerups, but that goes without saying :)

Would love to see how someone S+ Ranks boss 3 with Coral. Those lasers are a nightmare.

This game is amazing btw.

The trick is to shoot the laser fences as they come down and grab their powerups, they always drop in the same pattern and are fairly exploitable :) You also wanna use your shield to dps down the boss himself and destroy the missiles in phase 2. Coral is actually my Go-To for this boss, but she does need some specific approaches!

Unrelated by we had even more reviews come in overnight and Cactus is now the 2nd best rated title on gamerankings this year behind the division :D I'm sure it'll go down but damn that's a good feeling.

sn00zer

Had been lightly following AAC for a long while, and bought it on a whim the other day. After playing on and off for around 4-5 hours I am blown away by the level of polish the game has. Tons of neat animations for each selectable character (how many games have a "disappointment" animation when you select and deselect a character), every character has a unique voice and personality, enemies animate beautifully, no load times, tons of options, tons of weapon types, and just a pristine level of sheen across every facet of it.

This is one of the most well made games I have ever played. And its also just fucking awesome to boot.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I'm sad because looking at the achievements this could have been the first game to try for a Platinum (I have none, never cared) but my fucked up hands (long story) won't allow me, they hurt too much after a few levels so I can't keep going and try for S+. The only way I'd be able to try (and I don't mean actual succeed, just tryin') would've been if the game supported arcade sticks "fully", I tried but no way you can score big with the automatic right stick management... I can't fault the game nor dev tho, it is a DUAL STICKS shooter after all ;)

Ok here's the plan, I want you to pick Cactus (Not because she's better, but because she works well for learning) and I want you to focus on two things in this boss fight: First I want you to use your secondary weapon as soon as it finishes cooling down, every single time, this means watching the meter on the ground or listening to the audio trigger for a complete refill, and also standing close enough to Embryo that you actually hit him with the full charge.

Second I want you to try and follow the bullet patterns and try to find a 'safe space', for example in the first phase you can walk in front of Embryo in the V shaped area where his bullets don't catch! This really helps to reduce your number of knockdowns and let you keep using your secondary effectively.

Oh and don't forget to grab batteries/powerups, but that goes without saying :)
Funny enough, I figured that Cactus would work better for that boss for me after a bit of experimentation, but couldn't actually get it to work. Got past it now! Thanks for the help! :)

yella

Played the game for the first time yesterday and it really is an amazing experience. Congrats to Paz and the rest of his team for crafting such an excellent game.

Was able to get past the first boss of the game; took a while to get there since I was trying to get a good score in the first level (managed to get as high as an 'A' ranking, which ain't too shabby :p)

Interested in seeing some of the scores you guys have; my PSN ID is oldyella if anyone is interested in adding me.

Paz

I'm sad because looking at the achievements this could have been the first game to try for a Platinum (I have none, never cared) but my fucked up hands (long story) won't allow me, they hurt too much after a few levels so I can't keep going and try for S+. The only way I'd be able to try (and I don't mean actual succeed, just tryin') would've been if the game supported arcade sticks "fully", I tried but no way you can score big with the automatic right stick management... I can't fault the game nor dev tho, it is a DUAL STICKS shooter after all ;)

I'm really sorry to hear that mate :( I hope at least the invert fire option helps a little bit? And remember you can mash the X button instead of trigger to get up if need be.

By the sounds of things the problem is more about using twin sticks simultaneously and unfortunately that's a core part of hunting for S+'s :(

Dash Kappei

I'm really sorry to hear that mate :( I hope at least the invert fire option helps a little bit? And remember you can mash the X button instead of trigger to get up if need be.

By the sounds of things the problem is more about using twin sticks simultaneously and unfortunately that's a core part of hunting for S+'s :(

Yeah I suffer from a weird form of arthritis (I'm only 38), doctors haven't been of much help and in the last year it's gotten worse and worse and now I can't play something like Guitar Hero at all or even more than a couple of matches of PES (and I used to play that for a whole afternoon straight, together with my mates... but I'm a d-pad old-school PES player and that hurts so bad I can't manage it anymore). See, shmups are my favorite genre ever, the cool thing is that with an arcade stick I can manage a few matches till I need to rest, but frantic dual sticks shooters are a different beast, especially with the symmetrical bottom-positioned analog sticks on the Dualshock: holding the controller, my thumbs are constantly in a "stretched out" position and that is just the worst when the game requires you to do quick 360° on both sticks and be fast at that.

The alt-fire option definitely helps and I'm sooo glad you guys thought about including such an option!
I have a long way to make it natural tho, lol
I mean that I've just started using in it and I definitely need to learn how to let my years of muscles-memory go :p
I didn' know know you could mash X, that'll definitely help too! Of course when you find yourself mashing to get up you know you've already said goodbye to that sweet S+ hehe

Thanks mate, you guys made a little gem of a game :)

Gitaroo

last phase of Medulla is BS, my battery ran out and I wasn't even touched any thing and I shot everything down as quick as they pop up and still ended with 5+ enemies.

Calabi

I managed to defeat liquorice eventually with Paz's advice(thanks) and just hardcore practice.

Just a couple thing's I've noticed. I get a lot of screen tearing sometimes when the action gets heavy, I'm guessing it's adaptive vsync.

And this menu seems to have a pseudo 3D effect. The red letters make everything else look further back into the screen. I dont know if that's just my screwed up eyes or monitor or if it was intentional but it's pretty cool.

CdWx4_cWwAEqiUA.jpg:large

Withnail

Too many GAFfers sleeping on this game. I think it's the best twin stick shooter since SSHD or Geometry Wars and is even better than those in some respects. The number of people on the PS4 leaderboards is a bit depressing tbh.

Too many GAFfers sleeping on this game. I think it's the best twin stick shooter since SSHD or Geometry Wars and is even better than those in some respects. The number of people on the PS4 leaderboards is a bit depressing tbh.
Geometry Wars was always a flawed twin-stick shooter in my eyes, but I'd definitely rank Assault Android Cactus above Super Stardust HD (which I already liked a ton). This game and Resogun are the 'shmups' to beat on PS4, everything else right now simply doesn't compare.

Played it for a couple hours today. Very, very impressive. Fantastic presentation and style, and the gameplay mechanics are rock solid, a blast to play,

In a way the characters remind me of the PS1 days which so few indie developers go for.

BBboy20

I beaten it last night and have tried out FPS mode; surprised just how high Antidrop and Greene is on global leaderboards (I'm like 60 worldwide in the final boss though).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You're welcome Paz.

I just noticed this was ou on PS4 so that makes a near day 1 EA purchase on Steam/PC as well as a buy on PS4.

I sure hope it's cross buy because I want that Vita version too.

Im a bit on a fence... Shmups i my favorite genre but im kinda picky with twin shooters.
This plays on an arena or is a moving foward kinda of stage? Is it really smooth to control?

Geometry Wars was always a flawed twin-stick shooter in my eyes, but I'd definitely rank Assault Android Cactus above Super Stardust HD (which I already liked a ton). This game and Resogun are the 'shmups' to beat on PS4, everything else right now simply doesn't compare.

Darius Burst, Astebreed and Jamestown are pretty awesome.

Ps- Oopps. Double post, sorry

Im a bit on a fence... Shmups i my favorite genre but im kinda picky with twin shooters.
This plays on an arena or is a moving foward kinda of stage? Is it really smooth to control?
Both, some stages are a single arena (with little quirks) and some stages you move forward in a corridor. Very smooth and simple control scheme, either right triggers to shoot and either left to switch to your secondary weapon.

There is a world map. You progress from stage to stage until the end of an area where you fight a boss. Stages are arenas that unfold in waves of enemies. The arenas usually transform as waves are defeated. They can range from elevators that land on a floor where you continue the fight in a wider area or conveyer belt hazard zones that are constantly shifting while you try to defend yourself.

There are several Androids to chose from, each with drastically different play styles.

If I had to compare AAC to another game, I think that Cannon Spike on the Dreamcast comes closest.

antitrop

A super easy way to get the Gold 1,000 chain combo Trophy is to set EX options to 4 players worth of enemies, Mega Weapons enabled, and use Lemon on the Hive level. You don't even have to try.

All I need is S+ on Zone 4 and 5 bosses and I have the Plat. I will do it.

Dash Kappei

Nah, Jamestown+ is up there (and in my opinion definitely superior to Resogun), Asterbreed is also very cool.
Geowars 3 Dimensions is still pretty good in its own way. Haven't tried Assault Suit Leynos yet so I can't say how well it plays but I know it was in a few gaffers' Goty shortlist.
I hate how the Burs t series of Darius looks so I can't get excited for it, tho it plays really good but yeah, Cactus has definitely the edge there for my tastes both in the visuals and gameplay department.
Super Stardust HD has always been solid for me and nothing more simply because it lacks the excitement and ability to build up the craziness so as to put me "in the zone".

Wow! Just played the demo on steam and LOVED it. This game was on my radar since the early teases at Sony events. I also voted for it for PS+ game. It feels like a long lost Dreamcast game. Buying this one for sure tomorrow.

Edit: Aaaand bought on ps4.

BBboy20

That's my mum, and Jeff's Dad, they both passed away unexpectedly during the first year of development and we had a pretty rough time to be honest, you're the first person I've seen mention that dedication. Thanks.
I am sorry for your loss.

Shaneus

Just looking at the number of posts since AAC launched on PS4, compared with when Broforce launched on PC... I think AAC is most definitely the GAF favourite! Warms my cockles <3

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Jesus, how can you have enough time to take on this final boss?

bender

What time is it?
Jesus, how can you have enough time to take on this final boss?

Give Coral a shot. She is who I was able to defeat the final boss with after about 20 attempts. The Plasma Field is really effective throughout the fight and especially the final state.

A super easy way to get the Gold 1,000 chain combo Trophy is to set EX options to 4 players worth of enemies, Mega Weapons enabled, and use Lemon on the Hive level. You don't even have to try.

All I need is S+ on Zone 4 and 5 bosses and I have the Plat. I will do it.

Oh woah, I thought some of those EX options disabled trophies...I will have to give this a shot.

Dan

Give Coral a shot. She is who I was able to defeat the final boss with after about 20 attempts. The Plasma Field is really effective throughout the fight and especially the final state.
Coral's pretty good, I still can't quite get through what I assume is the final state.
I can get to the last two wireframe cubes and then I'm out of time. I've reached that point several times, just can't get there with enough padding to spare.

Yes! Finally beat the final boss. That was the one fight that really really pushed me. Must have been stuck on it for over an hour. The last phase kept wrecking me. Then like most boss progression, started messing up to get there.

Lemon and Starch were my go to characters. I can't wait to try this out with local co-op. Amazing game!

sn00zer

This may be my favorite twin stick ever. Helps that it has an insane level of pilish on top of just being a damn good game. Love that
sequel tease

antitrop

Oh woah, I thought some of those EX options disabled trophies...I will have to give this a shot.
You can use EX options to get pretty much every Trophy except for S+ on every stage, since that one depends on rankings and leaderboards. Most other Trophies don't depend on your score.

Dan

Whew, managed the final boss with Starch. His multiple long-range missile special was helpful in the last phase to help get at distant enemies quickly.

Dash Kappei

Can I just say a huge thank you to Shaneus one last time? Can't believe how much fun I would've missed on by having to wait on grabbing the game if it weren't for you, man. Cheers mate!

They only make the score invalid for rankings, you can see which settings do that by looking at the proper icon near the EX option.

Top Bottom