• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assault Android Cactus |OT| Do Androids Dream of Bullet Hell? (Multiple platforms)

antitrop

I can't believe I actually did it. I don't want to talk about how many times I had to try the final boss.

zgEtLt5.jpg

Paz

It makes me so happy to see you all loving the game, this is our passion too :)

Someone linked me an interesting article today as well talking about it being a 'flop' despite its critical success, I think word of mouth will carry us in the long run but it is interesting just how hard it can be to find an audience despite having a really good game.

Hopefully we get to make another game and utilize everything we learned from Cactus to make it even better :)

antitrop

Someone linked me an interesting article today as well talking about it being a 'flop' despite its critical success, I think word of mouth will carry us in the long run but it is interesting just how hard it can be to find an audience despite having a really good game.

Hopefully we get to make another game and utilize everything we learned from Cactus to make it even better :)

I'm day 1 on your guys' next game no matter what it is. And I will continue doing everything I can to spread the word of this game.

S1kkZ

beat the final boss. had to use coral. aside from the last phase, its pretty easy with her if you abuse the shield. i dont even know if i could beat the final boss with anyone else.

fantastic game!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
It'd be cool to have more people on the friends' leaderboards, only 3 out of 90+ own the game on my list :/
If you want to hit me up I'd appreciate it (you'll get to beat one fella consistently since my scores are crap ahah), just click on my profile here on GAF to get my PSN ID (avoiding putting it out in the wild since last time I got 15+ requests from I guess lurkers and/or people who didn't identify themselves with a GAF handle in the message, lol

Shaneus

It'd be cool to have more people on the friends' leaderboards, only 3 out of 90+ own the game on my list :/
If you want to hit me up I'd appreciate it (you'll get to beat one fella consistently since my scores are crap ahah), just click on my profile here on GAF to get my PSN ID (avoiding putting it out in the wild since last time I got 15+ requests from I guess lurkers and/or people who didn't identify themselves with a GAF handle in the message, lol
We became friends, yes?

I just killed the plant boss and unlock the android with Heli as main gun. Holy crap, this heli weapon is hard as balls to control. But it definitely has potential once you've mastered it.

The plant boss took me like 7-8 tries and I finally completed it with Starch.

Are there any more Androids to unlock?

I just killed the plant boss and unlock the android with Heli as main gun. Holy crap, this heli weapon is hard as balls to control. But it definitely has potential once you've mastered it.

The plant boss took me like 7-8 tries and I finally completed it with Starch.

Are there any more Androids to unlock?
Game has nine androids in total.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
So uh, my save somehow got nuked and it's not in the cloud even though i have it set to auto-upload.

I have no idea what the hell happened. :|

Share Play is now working in the U.S.! Just had an awesome 40 min co-op session with my friend who lives about 2 states away. He claimed no lag on his end.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Share Play is now working in the U.S.! Just had an awesome 40 min co-op session with my friend who lives about 2 states away. He claimed no lag on his end.

Did one yesterday and it was nearly flawless, a small hiccup here and there, otherwise it worked great as a quasi-online multiplayer,

I've been going 9 year old rage mode on this final boss for a good 4 hours. I get through all of the stages, almost every time, except for the last one. For the past two hours I keep running out of battery with only two enemies left. Haven't been this frustrated with a boss since Ornstein and Smough.

edit: I beat it...after much persistence.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yes! I finally got the last S+ ranking and now have the platinum trophy :)

P5tqJL3.jpg

The last mission i needed to S+ rank was Collider
(the one where you fight Liquorice)
. Man, i probably tried this 100+ times before i got it, perhaps 200+ times. Definitelly the hardest level to S+ rank i'd say due to some luck factor
(the battery drop at the boss, sometimes it drops so close to the boss that she will take it instead).
The final boss is also hard, i probably tried that level 200+ times, but there started to learn the patterns as i played, so i felt that it was a bit less annoying to die there. Its also easier to keep the combo going there.

My favorite android in the game is Starch. The homing missiles are really good, especially for keeping the combo going.

Eventhough that it can be pretty annoying to lose the combo, i still think its a great game :)

Is there a jump or dodge button? I can't remember having taken a break from the game and I can't even find a controller map in the options. PS4 version.

This game is easily in my top 5 of games that dropped this year. I love this shit. Wish that online MP was on it tho. Odd omission, but PS4 Shareplay at least works around that a bit. Not sure if I can shareplay with more than 1 person at a time tho.

Keihart

Just bought the game 2 days ago, what a treat. So fast and fun, the music helps a lot. The visuals are pretty clean for such a chaotic game. In short, awesome game.

Having a really good game is contextual to the type of game that really good game is. Naturally a really good farming simulator isn't going to turn a profit if it were made on the same budget as Call of Duty. What I mean is, it's not about making a really good game, it's about making a good game that has the potential audience to justifies its production expense. Shooters like AAC can be considered niche, so its success was always going to be proportionate to that audience.

I would say your main competition within this space are games from House Marque, a developer with large commercial backing and one whose games often draw upon the success of their predecessors. A lot of people played Asteroids, so Super Stardust benefited from that familiarity. Obviously Playstation Plus helped Resogun, and other House Marquee games got quite a bit of promotion from Sony. Another example would be Geometry Wars 3, which is a great game in its own right (I prefer AAC because it felt like there was more going on) but I think even GW3 didn't sell all that well, it's just not the type of game many consumers are looking for today, unfortunately. The emergence of new genres like shooter-esque roguelikes also diluted the genres popularity a bit. I know I find myself playing games like Enter the Gungeon as a sort of 'arcade shooter' experience, and games like these often convey more value for money due to replayability. They also market themselves through word of mouth a lot better via streamers on twitch and such who craft an audience around the games procedural generated factors and how it makes their runs different every time.

What I'm saying is that you're right. In the end, making a really good game isn't what causes games to sell, at least it's not the only factor. I think the developers of N++ have written on this topic also, but could you link the article you're talking about? I'd like to give it a read.

I also just realised I'm replying to your post quite late, since the thread is slow moving. Has your game generated any word of mouth? It definitely deserves to perform well. Shame it didn't make the PS Plus lineup, because Broforce is still buggy.

Feel awful as I bought this day one on ps4, but have since now finally gotten around to playing it proper

Game is just sooooo fucking cool (^______^)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Many here know I'm a shmup nut and well, in the dual sticks category, AAC is day by day becoming my favorite ever of that ilk, which is no small feat since I've be buying almost everything decent on every goddamn platform with dualsticks-shooting action in it since Geo Wars released on X360 almost 10 years ago...

This game is masterfully crafted, the attention to detail and the pure polish of the gameplay mechanics make it such a joy to play, I can't wait to double dip on WiiU just to play on the gamepad when I feel like having a quick game or two.

Btw, I need more players on my friends tab of the leaderboard, any request from Gaffers is welcome, just go to my profile page to find out my PSN handle.

autoduelist

This game is insanely good. I just got the platinum, and I'm pretty confident it's the hardest skill based platinum I own. There were more than a few levels hard to S+ (I s+'d as I went), with the final 2 being hands down the hardest. I didn't have too much issue with the infinity drive, though I was trying to get 1000 chain on that w/ little success till I googled it and discovered you could do it on Hive with ex options set to 4 player. That made the chain pretty easy.

Oh, and I didn't discover there are invincible frames while switching weapons until I had to s+ the -very- last level. That would have been nice to realize sooner.

The rest was cleanup. This game was -stellar-, and ranks up their with my favorite dual stick shooters of all time. We've had a really, really good gen for them so far (alienation, super stardust ultra, crimsonland, etc) and I'm happy this was among them.

S+'ing the levels really shows how much love and care went into level design to make it [just] possible.

Whew. That said, I'm -really- glad I can take a break from it. Some of those S+'s took more than one session.

torpet

Neo Member
Wow, what a great game! I finished it with a friend a few days ago and was really blown away by how fun this gem is.

Great controls, fluid gameplay, superb level design, good graphics and sublime coop mode. As a Linux user I am also happy about the decent port, despite Unity.

Highly recommended!

psyfi

Banned
Just got this game via the PSN flash sale and DAMN. It's so good! The best twin still shooter I've played in a long time. Haven't had this much fun with a shooter since Resogun.

Top Bottom