• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

TJP

With pitstops, weather, evolving track surface, 24 hour racing, great AI, historic content and superb physics, rFactor 2 is my go to racing game. However I can't help but think that ISI really fucked things up community wise.
Spot on post marvelharvey, especially regarding the rF2 community. rF2 has a shedload going for it; it may not be the best looking of the sims, the underlying building blocks are fantastic. You forgot the FFB which ranks amongst the best available too ;)

It's obvious that whilst Kunos may be someway behind on features, they WILL catch up to rF2 sometime soon. That coupled with ACs great mod support spells a great future for them.
Yes indeed. AC has become (or will become) the go-to sim for modding teams because of the tools and direct support. The longevity of rFactor (and rFactor based sims like GTR, GTL and the Race series) came in part from having a tonne of mods that were easy to produce in part because of the tools & documentation provided by ISI. The recently released GP2 mod for AC is testament to what can be produced by talented modding teams.I'm positive it won't be long before many of the best rFactor mods (e.g. DRM Revival) are made for AC.

All I hope for is AC's modding community to bring the avalanche of rF1 track conversions to a close. If you're going to convert, at least do so from rF2.
+1

Far too many track mods are retreads of retreads and many of the AC track mods are average at best. Hopefully this improves in the near future as the laser scanned tracks are fantastic and AC needs scratch made tracks near the same quality.

Phinor

With pitstops, weather, evolving track surface, 24 hour racing, great AI, historic content and superb physics, rFactor 2 is my go to racing game. However I can't help but think that ISI really fucked things up community wise.

Now that they removed my ability to autopatch, I'm just waiting for someone to report that rFactor 2 finally has a season mode. I suppose that hasn't happened yet? My online racing game is iRacing, and that won't change anytime soon. With rFactor 2, AC etc. I'm looking for an offline season experience with AI drivers but surprisingly few games have any plans to support that. I don't even need anything fancy, just a way to select a bunch of tracks, hand out points for races, optional practice/qualifying and that's about it.

Zeth

Awesome mods every day. Lotus 98T in update on Friday (Edit: possibly?). Great stuff.

The Shelby mod seems really good for a first iteration. The weight transfer is crazy, great feel. Though I don't know much about the car myself. Loving the Corvette DP at Nord. Version 1.1 is out btw, includes cams and better high res textures.

Now that they removed my ability to autopatch, I'm just waiting for someone to report that rFactor 2 finally has a season mode. I suppose that hasn't happened yet? My online racing game is iRacing, and that won't change anytime soon. With rFactor 2, AC etc. I'm looking for an offline season experience with AI drivers but surprisingly few games have any plans to support that. I don't even need anything fancy, just a way to select a bunch of tracks, hand out points for races, optional practice/qualifying and that's about it.

This is better served in the general PC Sims thread, but I'll try and give you an answer.

Sadly, I don't think there's a points system yet for rF2, but you can create custom series by using MAS2.exe to make a mod package with the cars and tracks you want (lol, right?). If you happen to play GSC, you can use Championship Manager NX to do exactly what you are asking for. It's made for rF, but it works perfectly for GSC.

@marvelharvey - yes to everything. I'll say though, Kunos need to get this kicked in to high gear. Great mods on what is still a very rough around the edges sim isn't as exciting as one might think. Broken AI and lifeless ffb (TM, promised to be fixed) mean my basic needs aren't yet being met. I hope this kind of stuff doesn't linger too long. I wouldn't want to release something like HistorX, for example, on AC in it's current state.

TJP

Update to the GP2 (version 0.9.2) has been released: https://www.mediafire.com/?ed4uqyh1sxzuno1

Changelog:

GP2 2014 Series - Changelog (July 16, 2014)
--------------------------------------------------------
- Fixed random crashes
- Added 2nd LOD model
- Improved tire textures (dirt, normal maps)
- Improved some graphical properties
- Mirror fixes
- Drivetrain fixes

GP2 2014 Series - Changelog (July 13, 2014)
-Fixed clutch torque issues
-Adjusted AI behaviour
-Updated default setup to Eduard Mallorqui's base setup

Full details: http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...modding-gp2-2014-season-0-9-2-released.11921/

Far too many track mods are retreads of retreads and many of the AC track mods are average at best.
Even though I hate all these quick conversions, I have to say that AC's lighting does wonders and can make an old dog of an rF1 track look pretty.
Broken AI
Call me crazy, but I much preferred Kunos' first attempt 'crash happy' AI. At least it was exciting to race with. Have Kunos mentioned any future improvements? The AI seems relatively unchanged since April.

Update to the GP2 (version 0.9.2) has been released: https://www.mediafire.com/?ed4uqyh1sxzuno1

Changelog:

GP2 2014 Series - Changelog (July 16, 2014)
- Mirror fixes

I had the most colossal crash yesterday because I hadn't yet realized the mirrors were flipped! Glad they fixed that right away.

Call me crazy, but I much preferred Kunos' first attempt 'crash happy' AI. At least it was exciting to race with. Have Kunos mentioned any future improvements? The AI seems relatively unchanged since April.

Ha! Yeah, unchanged as far as I know. I mean it's not that bad once you get going, but it needs to be better before it can be considered a positive for the sim.

Zeth

"GenTrack1" has gotten yet another update. It is really great. Easily my favorite fictional scratch-made AC track. I've already put hours into it.

Also, Dragon Range is fantastic if you're into drifting. Great stuff.

I encourage you all to download the GP2 Mod and Mospot and drive that combination. Crazy speeds.

Awesome combo. So smooth, flowing, and fast. Like a damn roller coaster.

Aww yeah, baby. Come to BT.

HistorX in AC

14676273374_b13f751e6a_b.jpg

Dave_6

I'm obviously overlooking it but where is the link to download Mosport? I've looked and looked on the AC forum.

Boom

Dear AC followers,

​
we are glad to introduce you to the0.21 release of Assetto Corsa on Steam Early Access. This version introduces some heavy upgrades and new features that represent a step ahead going to the 1.0 release.

New content: Classic Team Lotus Type 98T
Finally this awesome car is available in the Assetto Corsa's garage: the legendary single seater with which Ayrton Senna has wrote some of the most beatiful pages in the motorsport history is waiting for you: equipped with a small 1.5litres engine that represents the peak of the legendary turbo era, producing over 800bhp at race boost of around 3.5bar and more than 1200bhp at qualifying trim and over 5bar turbo boost! The downforce generated by the big wings and massive diffuser is even more than what modern F1 cars are capable of. Nevertheless, the extreme pitch sensitivity, stalling issues of the diffuser and unbelievably exponential power delivery of the twin turbo's, will challenge your skills not only to try and go fast with this car, but to actually keep it on track! Just a single lap will make you understand why there was just one man on the planet, capable of driving this monster close to its limits and on to pole position!

New Multiplayer
We have worked very hard to improve the multiplayer routines: we have recognized that some of the limits of the previous netcode didn't allow gamers to get the maximum satisfaction, in particular when some gamers was performing high ping values. We are glad to announce that the netcode of the new version doesn't represent an improvement of the previous one, but it has been rewrote from scratch. The results of our private betatesting gave us an excellent feedback, and we are confident you will get a very improved multiplayer experience. Please notice that this new version, Assetto Corsa requires increased server bandwidth. Professional dedicated servers shouldn't have any problems at all, but users that wish to host session on their local home connection, should start with a very low client number and slowly raise the number until they find the limits of their connection.
The following bandwidth requirements are a conservative guideline, your results may vary:

Clients = Kilobytes /sec upstream

5 = 23KB/s
8 = 66KB/s
10 = 106KB/s
15 = 247KB/s
20 = 448KB/s25 = 708KB/s
30 = 1026KB/s

New Multiplayer features
New multiplayer mode without booking request. The number of servers and users wishing to easily join pickup servers has caught us by surprise. We never immagined such a big success of casual multiplayer sessions with Assetto Corsa. As such, it was evident that the actual booking system, specifically thought for leagues and organized racing, was not doing a good job. We’re introducing a new “pickup” multiplayer mode without booking sessions.
The new “pickup” system, permits a server to be configured without booking sessions. An entry list must be configured properly, with only the cars that will be present in the server.
Clients can filter from the UI and search just for non booking servers. Then simply select a car and join the server at whatever session (practice, qualifying or race), at any time as many times as they wish.
At the current state the “pickup” system does not permit a specific skin selection from the client and we’re pretty sure that needs more testing in order to iron out possible bugs. Please help us by pointing out bugs at our official support forums. We are looking to have multiple hotfixes during the following week, in order to deliver a stable version for August vacations.

AI
Working on the Lotus Type 98T, we have had also the chance to analyze some issues related to the stability of some of the most performing cars that feature a active aero system: the Lotus Type 98T produces very high drag and downforce values, that change costantly and dynamically with pitch, speed and throttle position. All of that, together with the incredible power and speed that this car is capable of, resulted in multiple critical situations for our AI. The new AI improvements, not only manages to mantain the Lotus 98T on track, but also improve the AI behaviour of the other cars. More improvements are on the way, following optimizations of the new code.

Graphics engine
As anticipated some weeks ago, this build performs some new graphics libraries: you will notice some improved post-processing effects, including DOF (depth of field), bloom, tone mapping, FXAA and more. There are some additional features included in the graphics option menu that will allow users to choose different scenarios. This version does not include most of the effects that will be included in future and that will represent a huge step ahead: before to introduce other features, we want to be sure about stability and performance of this upgrade.

Next updates
As always, we'll monitor all the forum activities in order to find and resolve eventual issues and bugsthat might show up, due to the numerous new features included in this update. We will provide if needed, multiple hotfixes and feature updates in the following days. The next main build is expected to be released on Friday, 29th of August
General news
The implementation of FMOD is going well: as soon as we will be able to provide a comparison video between the current version and the new build featuring FMOD, we'll show you the benefits of this upgrade: this step represents a huge challenge, because it requires a total conversion of old samples and the creation of new ones. Also, new effects will be included in order to create an immersive sound environment that can guarantee an immersive experience. We believe that the final result is well worth the investment requested.

The modeling of Spa-Francorchamps has been almost completed: as you might know, this track will be included in the 1.0 version of Assetto Corsa (and this might suggest you that 1.0 version isn't too far). During this summer we will release some videos and pictures that will give you an idea of what to expect from this awesome and legendary circuit.

Considering the time involved to schedule and manage the production of new contents, we are working in advance to provide you tons of new contents even after 1.0 release, with new car brands licensed and models to be unveiled soon. We recognize that trying to stay focused on the development of the main build and on some new activities, we haven't shared enough work in progress pics and videos for a while: don't worry, we'll surprise you again. Stay tuned on www.facebook.com/Assetto.corsa to discover all the incoming news!

The Early Access program has been very successful, exceeding our expectations, and it's about to end. Thanks to this results, KUNOS Simulazioni has welcomed some additional programmers and graphics modellers that are already involved in current and future productions, thanks to their experience matured working on AAA games. We are grateful of the amazing response of the community towards Assetto Corsa and we try our best to give you the best racing game we are able to make. Thank you very much for your incredible support: see you on track!

CHANGELOG

- Multiplayer Improvements : New server version available
- Multiplayer Gameplay improvements
- New Post Processing Effects engine implemented
- Implemented booking-less server joining
- Physical Dynamic track implemented
- Shader fixes and improvements
- Time Attack fixed start with too much time
- Fixed AI starting at the same time in qualify
- AI improvements, better gas control and understeer detection
- New Car : Lotus 98T
- lotus elise sc, exige 240R, scura, exige s roadster speedometers corrections
- changes in speedometers visualization depending on UI options and car design
- Tyre damping modifications for all cars
- Ideal Line improvements
- Improved Python Apps error handling on loading
- Dynamic wing controller now use setup value as initial angle value.
- Localization fixes
- Time Difference displayer improved
- Fixed camera triple screen & driver names
- Fixes in Replay for cars with animated suspensions
- Fixed "You have been sent to pits" issue
- GUI forms default position not overlapping with system messages anymore & GUI Improvements
- Showroom updated with the latest graphic engine improvements
- ksEditor updated with the latest graphic engine improvements
- Per-Car New setup option to customize Force Feedback
- Disabled AI in multiplayer events
- Replay size reduced by half
- Fixed crew placement in multiplayer events
- Virtual mirror remembers its last state & virtual mirror improvements on triple screen cfg
- Fixed mirror rendering bug
- Adjustable brake balance while driving, for cars that support the feature
- Adjustable brake balance in the physics brakes.ini file
- Brake balance working with all the control configurations
- Fixed wrong time reported after Booking

Somebody not at work needs to post some screenshots of the new graphical options.

There are some additional features included in the graphics option menu that will allow users to choose different scenarios.

I finally buckled and got my system setup (had to reinstall Win8.1 after an unknown crash) so didn't have my Fanatec drivers, Steam, the game ... nothing installed as of yesterday. Spent a couple hours tweaking around and with my new card (r9 290 OC) I saw a big improvement compared to my 6870. Fraps says I'm pretty stable at 60 (probably more but I have V-sync enabled for the TV - will do some more testing tonight) with HDR off and a lot of stuff cranked up.

Game looks gorgeous. Still dialing in my GT2 and need to find a "go to" car because it's been months since I played.

Hopefully the Rift implementation isn't too far out, I should be receiving the DK2 in a couple weeks and that's what I'm really looking forward to.

Seanspeed

Banned
Ok, shit this is a pretty big update. And some stuff(some very cool stuff) was added that's not in the change log.

First off, here's new graphics settings:

Reflections menu is unchanged.

Here's one of the cool bits:

Track surface setting!

EDIT: Also

- New non-booking multiplayer servers

- Slipstream in multiplayer is now in!

- You can adjust FFB for each car in the setup menu!

- You can adjust the turbo boost of the 98T on the fly

- Loads of new apps, including telemetry

- DRS and KERS mappable buttons, but no current use for them

TJP

Missing post processing effects configurations from the latest steam update? Here is the fix:

It's now possible to personalize the entire post processing effects, with infinite different settings. At the moment they're not present in the last update (tomorrow a new patch will correct this issue).

Just for today extract the attached zip (http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?attachments/filters-zip.25454/) in documents/assettocorsa/cfg/ (you will have documents/assettocorsa/cfg/filters). Then you will be able to select the different configurations both from the launcher and from ingame (using PostProcessing filter APP).

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...fects-configurations-from-steam-update.12399/

Seanspeed

Banned
About it fire it up now. Thanks for all the additional infos, fellas. If there are improvements to the ffb, that would really make my day!
Not sure FFB itself is different, but you can now have different FFB settings for each car in their respective setup menus, which is pretty awesome.

TJP

Longford 1967 from rF2 has been converted with permission: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/longford-1967.2741/

Edit: Blackwood from Live For Speed updated to version 0.9.8: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/blackwood.2639/

Anyone new to AC and using the SimHQ AC guides e.g. http://simhqmotorsports.com/assetto-corsa-hints-tips-part-1/ should be aware that they will be updated very soon to match the changes made since they were first published.

Track surface isn't like rF2's Real Road by the looks of things; one can choose Dusty, Old, Slow, Green, Fast and Optimum.

Zeth

Looks awesome, can't wait to try it.

Anyone notice any changes to the HDR effects? I always have to reduce the exposure every time I load in on my IPS monitor because the highlights are blown out.

Looks awesome, can't wait to try it.

Anyone notice any changes to the HDR effects? I always have to reduce the exposure every time I load in on my IPS monitor because the highlights are blown out.
Yes, there seems to be improvements to this. I used to find that cars with a lot of glass, or with seating positions near the glass would look fine as enough of the screen was showing the outside. When the view outside was limited, the HDR would seem to expose itself for the interior, leaving the track outside often looking completely blown out.

I've tested a few cars that I think had the problem before, and every one has been fine, so I think they've fixed it! :)

So what cards and settings are you guys using? I seem to have to dial back some to stick to 60 with an R9 290. Still looks great but I'm assuming this isn't fully optimized. Figured I'd be able to crank stuff but I'm finding I need to turn some things down like AF and AA, World Detail and no Face (sp?).

I would think I'd be able to push it a little more. I have a i5-3570k, 16GB RAM, and I'm running on a 1920x1200 (60hz) or a 1080p HDTV (120hz - which I think is still half because of the way TVs rate it, so 60 on that too)

Or is this game just a lot more demanding than I initially thought it was?

paskowitz

So what cards and settings are you guys using? I seem to have to dial back some to stick to 60 with an R9 290. Still looks great but I'm assuming this isn't fully optimized. Figured I'd be able to crank stuff but I'm finding I need to turn some things down like AF and AA, World Detail and no Face (sp?).

I would think I'd be able to push it a little more. I have a i5-3570k, 16GB RAM, and I'm running on a 1920x1200 (60hz) or a 1080p HDTV (120hz - which I think is still half because of the way TVs rate it, so 60 on that too)

Or is this game just a lot more demanding than I initially thought it was?

GTX770 w/ i5 4670k. I can max everything with AA at 2 and get steady 60fps in any lighting condition with <8 cars on track. Putting the AA to 4 in low sun situations makes the framerate a little unstable. 24 cars at those settings dips it to the 45-50 range especially with a low sun). If I turn AA off at max settings (but not low light 52-60fps) I can run a 24 car grid 60fps no problem.

Also I set the FPS limit to 61fps and leave V-sync off.

Hi all, just started having a play with this but something seems to be up with my wheel in it, for every 10 degrees of rotation I do AC seems to do 360?! Did a google but didn't find anything, is this a known bug?

G27 BTW.

Thanks!

TJP

GTX770 w/ i5 4670k. I can max everything with AA at 2 and get steady 60fps in any lighting condition with <8 cars on track. Putting the AA to 4 in low sun situations makes the framerate a little unstable. 24 cars at those settings dips it to the 45-50 range especially with a low sun). If I turn AA off at max settings (but not low light 52-60fps) I can run a 24 car grid 60fps no problem.
I pretty much have most settings at maximum levels when hot happing or with a small grid. FWIW I'm using an EVGA GTX 680. If I set most of the adjustable graphical settings to normal (with AF 16x, AA 8x & world detail at maximum), I get over 90fps with a full grid at Monza. I'm going to fettle with the settings until I achieve 60fps with a 20 car grid at some point.

One of the Kunos dev team uses the following settings with a GTX 780Ti (he reports GPU load is approx 60% and VRAM used is 1730MB)

Fullscreen - On
V-Sync - Off
FPS Cap - 91
AF - 16x
AA - 8x
World Detail - Max
Max Shadows - High
Smoke - Normal
Post Processing effects - Ultra
Saturation - 87%
Motion Blur - Off
Cube map - Medium
Cube map faces - 4

@flyinpiranha

One of the problems with Assetto Corsa is that many of the standard graphical effects such as the Anisotropic Filtering (AF) and Fast Approximate Anti-Aliasing (FXAA) sap the frame rate for reasons only known to Kunos. As an example I turned off FXAA and gained 10fps & changing the AF from 16 to 8 will also give a small fps increase. The SimHQ set-up guide (http://simhqmotorsports.com/assetto-corsa-hints-tips-part-1/a) is a little out of doubt however some of the graphical setting suggestions are still valid.

That being said, I don't know how well ATI cards & drivers work with Assetto Corsa; an R290 should have zero issues running AC pretty much maxed as the GTX 780 can.

Hi all, just started having a play with this but something seems to be up with my wheel in it, for every 10 degrees of rotation I do AC seems to do 360?! Did a google but didn't find anything, is this a known bug?

G27 BTW.

Thanks!
Did you perform the calibration wizard correctly?

oxidax

How do u guys keep track of the mod updates? I've been downloading all the mods that you guys post and im noticing that you also post it when the mod gets an update.. I am not registered on RD so I dont know if the website sends you a notification when the modders updates their files.

Do you have a way of staying up to date with the files or you just go to the website regularly and check?

Top Bottom