• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa: Early Access |OT|

TJP

Shawn is entitled to an opinion and he is right that AC is far from perfect. What I don't understand is how someone who has never sat his (or her) arse in the real car can state the virtual version is too easy to drive. AC has enough creedence from the real world drivers of the Tatuus, the P4/5, a few GT3 drivers and a fellow from the AC forums who provided feedback using his Lotus 2-Eleven to realise Kunos have done their job rather well.

As for the issues Shawn encountered, a read through of the official support forums would have highlighted a few anomalies with the latest build, including broken SLI support. His GTX 690 was running as if it were a single GTX 680.

TJP

Corvette C6R BETA V2 by UnitedRacingDesign now available: http://www.mediafire.com/download/k5gxqv38823o9wt/corvette_c6r_beta_v2_by_urd.rar

V2 changelog:

• Engine power was reduced by about 15% (initial release had flywheel power curve on wheels)
  • Brakes torque reduced a bit.
  • ABS and TC weaker now (still enabled by default for testing purpose)
  • Slightly more downforce from rear wing.
  • Changed front suspension geometry.
  • Default tyre compound changed to medium.
  • Some minor suspension and car fixes.

paskowitz

Shawn is entitled to an opinion and he is right that AC is far from perfect. What I don't understand is how someone who has never sat his (or her) arse in the real car can state the virtual version is too easy to drive. AC has enough creedence from the real world drivers of the Tatuus, the P4/5, a few GT3 drivers and a fellow from the AC forums who provided feedback using his Lotus 2-Eleven to realise Kunos have done their job rather well.

As for the issues Shawn encountered, a read through of the official support forums would have highlighted a few anomalies with the latest build, including broken SLI support. His GTX 690 was running as if it were a single GTX 680.

I have only been in the E92 M3 and the Z4 IRL. The M3 is ~90%. The real car is much more stable under braking while turning, but is also more sensitive to sudden throttle inputs. The Z4 is off, but that could very well have been a combination, of a dusty track, and spent tires. The back end would wobble under heavy braking and in general the car poorly sorted.

I do agree with his other comments though.

TJP

Having thought about Shawn's comments, perhaps he was driving some of the cars with ABS and TC on as some cars have these assists on by default as that's the way the cars are in real life. I'm probably wrong though!

Pallie

Banned
I find the cars to be fairly easy to drive when you drive them easy. It's when you start pushing the cars to the limit the game seems to turn into a spin-out simulator. I find this game to be pretty unforgiving of even slight mistakes, at least with all the assist off. But this is my first PC sim, so maybe it's part of the learning curve.

I cannot stand when people make the argument, difficulty=realism in a driving sim. What is, and should be, difficult is to drive each car fast. To get to the limit of the car. The Zonda R is a perfect example. Look at Top Gear's review. The car is driveable. The GT3 cars as well. All are driven by elderly businessmen in real life and you do not hear (many) horror stories. But these people are never anywhere near the front.

A great counter example would be the Skip Barber in rFactor 2 and iRacing. It was WAY too twitchy when it first released in both those sims. It is now much easier to drive. People complained, but the car is much more faithful to its real life counterpart.

I think that saying it should be "difficult to drive a car fast" is as questionable and over-simplified as saying that it should be "difficult to be realistic". Both statements require further clarification, and both are potentially valid.

If you are at/over the limit, it doesn't matter whether you got there from bad driving or expert driving. If the sim is forgiving, both good and bad drivers will benefit. The bad driver who finds the limit by misjudging every corner will crash less/get away with things more often, and the good driver pushing for a record lap time by balancing the car at the limit at all times will more comfortably 'explore' this region of grip/save the car when pushing too hard.

When I describe a sim's difficulty, I'm considering its behaviour at and over the limit. I'm already assuming that all cars are easy to drive below this limit. So with AC, which I think feels too easy at times, I'm not referring to the below-the-limit behaviour that is bound to be easy. Therefore I don't accept the popular response of 'they're supposed to be easy'. I'm saying it seems too easy at the times when I expect it to be more difficult. At some point any car is going to be difficult to drive no matter how forgiving it seems. Every car has limits - you can lose control of each one in AC by exceeding them. People like to say of AC 'if you're finding it too easy, you aren't pushing hard enough'. I struggle with this idea for the same reasons - it seems like stating the obvious. Everything is going to be easy and then become difficult at some point.

All sims can be described like this, and reality too - it starts easy, becomes difficult, and then you crash. It's how each sim transitions between these states that varies. For example, AC appears to have a window between easy and difficult that feels wider than that of iRacing. You can push the cars beyond the limit in both, and when you do, they are both difficult, that is a given. But I find this wider window of driveability in AC to be questionable at times, and it's not because I'm still below the limit. This window is happening when the car is moving around underneath me in a way that suggests plenty of tyre slip. I am getting interesting combinations of understeer and oversteer. I am steering the car with the pedals. I am at the limit and it feels like I'm getting away with too much at times. In the same manner, in iRacing, I can be getting similar sensations of slip, balancing the car with the pedals and all that fun stuff at the limit, and it'll let go sooner than expected and it feels like I should have been able to get away with more.

Which is more accurate remains up for debate - I think both are very accurate in some areas, but both have problems, with AC being too forgiving at times, and iRacing being too unforgiving at times. (However, iRacing can also be too easy at times, particularly with the current build where there seems to be too much grip across the board, whereas I've never thought AC is too difficult... so that could mean AC feels right to me a bit more of the time.)

These elderly businessmen who are finding GT3 cars easy to drive are likely making good use of traction control. TC is very effective on sticky cars like this - they're even easy in iRacing with TC on. But switch it off and they are snappy beasts, whereas AC's GT3 cars seem rather easy to drive at the limit even without TC. You can practically drift them, as the tyre is so forgiving.

As for the Skippy, they're very different in rF2 and iRacing, so at least one of them has to be wrong. The one in rF2 seems to have much less grip, is more sensitive to lift-off oversteer and behaves a lot more like the Skip in iRacing from a few seasons ago on NTMv4 (the one that many said was too hard). However, it's easier to drive than this NTMv4 Skip, as it loses grip so progressively at slip angles that would be unsavable in iRacing. The one in iRacing now has, imo, way too much grip, yet when you get it sideways it is still somehow harder to drive than the one in rF2, as iRacing's over-the-limit behaviour is still the most unforgiving.

So for me, the Skip in rF2 is the one that feels most correct - it's the best of both worlds - it has the slippery feeling of my favourite iRacing Skip from NTMv4, but isn't as scary due to the beautiful progressive feel once you are sliding. iRacing's Skip has so much more grip in comparison, and therefore seems too easy in general now, but it's still too difficult to manage beyond certain slip angles.

o_O That was much longer than planned! A cookie for anyone who read all that. Difficult to describe these sensations in a few words :)

mrsmr2

You do know it's against the rules of the internet to post anything positive about rF2?
Another rule is not to post anything that is less than overly positive about AC.

You've done both. In the same thread.

We're doomed :)

Nice post btw.

paskowitz

I think that saying it should be "difficult to drive a car fast" is as questionable and over-simplified as saying that it should be "difficult to be realistic". Both statements require further clarification, and both are potentially valid.

If you are at/over the limit, it doesn't matter whether you got there from bad driving or expert driving. If the sim is forgiving, both good and bad drivers will benefit. The bad driver who finds the limit by misjudging every corner will crash less/get away with things more often, and the good driver pushing for a record lap time by balancing the car at the limit at all times will more comfortably 'explore' this region of grip/save the car when pushing too hard.

When I describe a sim's difficulty, I'm considering its behaviour at and over the limit. I'm already assuming that all cars are easy to drive below this limit. So with AC, which I think feels too easy at times, I'm not referring to the below-the-limit behaviour that is bound to be easy. Therefore I don't accept the popular response of 'they're supposed to be easy'. I'm saying it seems too easy at the times when I expect it to be more difficult. At some point any car is going to be difficult to drive no matter how forgiving it seems. Every car has limits - you can lose control of each one in AC by exceeding them. People like to say of AC 'if you're finding it too easy, you aren't pushing hard enough'. I struggle with this idea for the same reasons - it seems like stating the obvious. Everything is going to be easy and then become difficult at some point.

All sims can be described like this, and reality too - it starts easy, becomes difficult, and then you crash. It's how each sim transitions between these states that varies. For example, AC appears to have a window between easy and difficult that feels wider than that of iRacing. You can push the cars beyond the limit in both, and when you do, they are both difficult, that is a given. But I find this wider window of driveability in AC to be questionable at times, and it's not because I'm still below the limit. This window is happening when the car is moving around underneath me in a way that suggests plenty of tyre slip. I am getting interesting combinations of understeer and oversteer. I am steering the car with the pedals. I am at the limit and it feels like I'm getting away with too much at times. In the same manner, in iRacing, I can be getting similar sensations of slip, balancing the car with the pedals and all that fun stuff at the limit, and it'll let go sooner than expected and it feels like I should have been able to get away with more.

Which is more accurate remains up for debate - I think both are very accurate in some areas, but both have problems, with AC being too forgiving at times, and iRacing being too unforgiving at times. (However, iRacing can also be too easy at times, particularly with the current build where there seems to be too much grip across the board, whereas I've never thought AC is too difficult... so that could mean AC feels right to me a bit more of the time.)

These elderly businessmen who are finding GT3 cars easy to drive are likely making good use of traction control. TC is very effective on sticky cars like this - they're even easy in iRacing with TC on. But switch it off and they are snappy beasts, whereas AC's GT3 cars seem rather easy to drive at the limit even without TC. You can practically drift them, as the tyre is so forgiving.

As for the Skippy, they're very different in rF2 and iRacing, so at least one of them has to be wrong. The one in rF2 seems to have much less grip, is more sensitive to lift-off oversteer and behaves a lot more like the Skip in iRacing from a few seasons ago on NTMv4 (the one that many said was too hard). However, it's easier to drive than this NTMv4 Skip, as it loses grip so progressively at slip angles that would be unsavable in iRacing. The one in iRacing now has, imo, way too much grip, yet when you get it sideways it is still somehow harder to drive than the one in rF2, as iRacing's over-the-limit behaviour is still the most unforgiving.

So for me, the Skip in rF2 is the one that feels most correct - it's the best of both worlds - it has the slippery feeling of my favourite iRacing Skip from NTMv4, but isn't as scary due to the beautiful progressive feel once you are sliding. iRacing's Skip has so much more grip in comparison, and therefore seems too easy in general now, but it's still too difficult to manage beyond certain slip angles.

o_O That was much longer than planned! A cookie for anyone who read all that. Difficult to describe these sensations in a few words :)

Oversimplified because I did not want to write that much... Lol. But in general I agree with you that AC is too easy over the limit, my stipulation is that for me that sentiment is mostly confined to the race cars. I have no problems with the street cars under, at or over the limit.

For the GT3 stuff I am basing my comments on what the manufacturers and press say. In general these cars are set up to be driveable by your average, moderately skilled driver.

I have yet to try iRacing NTM 4 I think m the last time I gave it a spin they were on v2 or v3.

Oversimplified because I did not want to write that much... Lol. But in general I agree with you that AC is too easy over the limit, my stipulation is that for me that sentiment is mostly confined to the race cars. I have no problems with the street cars under, at or over the limit.

For the GT3 stuff I am basing my comments on what the manufacturers and press say. In general these cars are set up to be driveable by your average, moderately skilled driver.

I have yet to try iRacing NTM 4 I think m the last time I gave it a spin they were on v2 or v3.
Haha. :) I'll try to keep this short and sweet!

I feel the same - most of the road cars in AC seem very natural no matter what you're doing, it's definitely the race cars that have raised the question marks in my head. However, it could be that it's simply harder to detect issues with road cars, as they are softer and less directly communicative. The road tyres allow a lot of slip and over-driving as you'd expect, but this window of driveability could be equally stretched, it's just more acceptable on road cars. I wouldn't be surprised if it is, considering it's the same physics engine dealing with a different tyre construction/compound.

By the way iRacing is NTMv5 now (you could even call it 5.5, such is the significance of last month's build), the slippery Skip on NTMv4 I referred to was three or four seasons ago. :)

A new track, Castle Hill, is available from the team who've made many tracks for Simraceway: http://www.madcowieproductions.com/castle-hill

Full story: http://www.bsimracing.com/assetto-corsa-castle-hill-short-circuit-by-madcowie-released/

It certainly has a professional feel to it. Not the world's greatest layout, but the assets are a cut above just about everything out there. I did a few laps around it in the beta 2 URD C6R. Not sure if they changed a bunch, or what, but I've cooled my jets on it a bit. It seems awfully tame now.

TJP

It certainly has a professional feel to it. Not the world's greatest layout, but the assets are a cut above just about everything out there.
Most of the tracks in done by this team for SRW are of a decent standard so it came as no surprise that the one track for AC is a good one. Average layout but the assets are very good.

I did a few laps around it in the beta 2 URD C6R. Not sure if they changed a bunch, or what, but I've cooled my jets on it a bit. It seems awfully tame now.
Not sure what's changes however if you review my post #2152 for the change log for the C6R - of note is the engine power being reduced by about 15%.

kudoboi

Audi confirmed

10462963_10202616688252360_7950430639481650943_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...=a.4632092534280.1073741825.1651916137&type=1

Zeth

The wait for the engine restructure for DK2 support will be painful. From what I've read that's why it's not already implemented, is that right?

Buying Live For Speed today to get my fix.

TJP

I recongise the YT channel and thus believe the Lamborghini Gallardo GT3 is likely to be another poorly made mod with sound and car model ripped from another game :(

tioslash

Just got it from AC FB page:

Dear AC followers,

we are pleased to introduce RSR Nurburg, new official partner of Assetto Corsa. Working at the Nurburgring for the last 15 years, RSR Nurburg features a team of instructors and drivers among the best in the world, together with two permanent workshops and offices, one at the Nurburgring and one at Spa Francorchamps, also base of the Official Driving Academy of the Circuit of Spa Francorchamps. This partnership will develop on different ways:

Nurburgring Nordschleife - As you probably know, the staff of Assetto Corsa is currently working on the reproduction of the legendary Nordschleife circuit, using Lasescan technology to recreate a to the centemeter exact copy of the real counterpart, providint unparalleled results in terms of realism and behaviour of the vehicles dynamic model. An equally important aspect of driving on a race track is the extensive use of reference points used by experienced drivers to use 100% of the track: RSR Nurbug's instructors have an extensive knowledge of the track layout and reference points and will co-operate with the development team to include all the visual and geographical reference points used by local drivers to assure the highest possible level of realism: thanks to this co-operation Assetto Corsa will be an invaluable tool to learn and master the most dangerous race track in the world.

Handling and Dynamic model - RSR Nurburg and Assetto Corsa share an exclusive garage: BMW M3 E30 and E92, Lotus Exige S, Elise, 2 Eleven, McLaren MP4-12C, together with Nissan GT-R, Toyota GT-86 and many other cars that will be included in Assetto Corsa's garage. RSR Nurburg's instructors knowledge, developed driving the same cars on the most comprehensive race track in the world is an invaluable know-how: the dynamic model and handling of the in-game cars will be further refined and developed by the feedback of the instructors thanks to a professional simulator installed at RSR Nurburg's headquarters, chasing the perfect correspondence between reality and simulation.

Tests, events and contests - Assetto Corsa's development team has already been supported by RSR Nurburg's team during the last trip to the Nurburgring Nordschleife, using cars from RSR fleet both for dynamic tests on track and for shooting. This kind of support will be extended to many more tracks like Vallelunga and Spa Francorchamps, where Assetto Corsa's development team will be able to use RSR Nurburg's cars for dynamic tests and surveys, with the ultimate goal to deliver the most ralistic and perfected car simulation. RSR Nurburg and Kunos Simluazioni are working together to close the gap between a simulated enviroment and real-life, with many initiatives to provide convenient services to all those who want to experience the thrill of driving on the track: stay tuned not to miss big news coming soon!

oxidax

Just got it from AC FB page:

Handling and Dynamic model - RSR Nurburg and Assetto Corsa share an exclusive garage: BMW M3 E30 and E92, Lotus Exige S, Elise, 2 Eleven, McLaren MP4-12C, together with Nissan GT-R, Toyota GT-86 and many other cars that will be included in Assetto Corsa's garage.

Awwww shiiiitt!!!!!!!

ADRIANF1esp

Neo Member
Assetto Corsa gameplay with the Mercedes F1 W05 Hybrid (Beta - Mod), the video is a onboard lap and its replay at Salzburgring circuit.

And video with the Ferrari F14T (Beta - Mod), the video is a lap at Monza Circuit with four simultaneous cameras.

Jilt

Two track mods to keep an eye on:

Pikes Peak: http://acmods.wordpress.com/2014/08/11/pikes-peak-intenational-hill-climb-v0-2/

Transfagarasan Highway: http://www.mediafire.com/download/l62yx72no7qwa67/tn_th-DrDoomsLab.V0.2T.rar

While both tracks are lacking in graphics, they are none the less a blast to drive.

Ah thanks Paskowitz! That Transfagarasan Highway is a blast!!
My first try on this circuit, a bit carefull and a couple of mistakes, but this is really intense!! Thanks for the tip!

http://youtu.be/gggHTycT8u8

paskowitz

Just found out one of my best friends from high school, who now lives in South Korea, is making an Assetto Corsa mod (Korean touge track). Gotta love it!

Dave_6

When I try to use the F14T the FoV is so off that it looks like im sitting or lying down in the seat. Can't see over the wheel enough to drive it. Anyone else have that issue?

That's the gmotor2 fan in you talking ;)

After a little bit of searching, it seems that CRTL+L is the name-removal shortcut. I wonder why L?

Gah! I remember going Jerry Lee Lewis on my keyboard looking for it, so I should have recalled it was something more complex.

You'll probably have to think in Italian to come up with the answer!

LilJoka

When I try to use the F14T the FoV is so off that it looks like im sitting or lying down in the seat. Can't see over the wheel enough to drive it. Anyone else have that issue?

Use the seat position app to raise the height and move it slightly rearward.

Top Bottom