• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Associação Ius Omnibus seeks compensation of 235 million euros from PlayStation for “annihilating competition” in Portugal

Murdok

Ius Omnibus argues that Sony, through PlayStation, has complete control over game prices, both its own and the competition's. The association alleges that Sony determines not only the prices of its own games, but also those of competitors. Furthermore, Sony supposedly decides how many physical games competitors can produce and distribute. These accusations, according to the association, are based on practices similar to those observed internationally, where Sony would have defined the price of its games, taking 30% commissions – a fee also charged by other technology companies, such as Apple and Google. Ius Omnibus claims that since November 29, 2013, the beginning of the PlayStation 4 generation, Sony has created an unfriendly environment for competition. This has resulted in increased prices for players and a lower variety and quality of products and services available.

Sony has been sued in the past over similar allegations.

This isn't the first time Sony has faced such allegations. Last year, an entity in the United Kingdom filed a lawsuit, seeking damages due to the 30% commissions charged by PlayStation in its digital store. And in California, Sony was also accused of controlling prices and cornering the market. Now, Ius Omnibus seeks compensation of up to 235 million euros, aiming to compensate all PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 players who feel harmed. The association hopes that Sony will correct its behavior and compensate consumers. So far, PlayStation, which belongs to the Sony group, has not commented on the lawsuit. The gaming community, especially in Portugal, is eagerly awaiting more information about the case. It should be noted that these are serious allegations. So this is a process that can take a long time. The Portuguese association has not yet presented any proof of its accusations. If she really wants to win this case, it's good that she has everything documented to present in court.

You can read more at:

Fbh

Haven't read the full article but how is Sony supposedly controlling prices or keeping other storefront from charging less (or more) than 30%?

I mean I don't like their attitude in third world countries, just like they took advantage of the fact that they are the market leader in my country to pretty much scalp the ps5 themselves (SX has consistently been closer to $500 and like $100 cheaper than the PS5), but people are free to play on another system if they want.

the_master

All digital storefronts charge 30%.

They should sue for VAT. :pie_eyeroll:
Vat is spent on society, store comission goes to the private company pockets.

Another reason a monopoly is bad. Sony (or any other company with a store) will not pay the 30% but all other companies will have to, recuperating 30% less.

30% is such a massive ammount of money, it seems unfair for any storefront imho

Haven't read the full article but how is Sony supposedly controlling prices or keeping other storefront from charging less (or more) than 30%?

I mean I don't like their attitude in third world countries, just like they took advantage of the fact that they are the market leader in my country to pretty much scalp the ps5 themselves (SX has consistently been closer to $500 and like $100 cheaper than the PS5), but people are free to play on another system if they want.

That's distributors in your country. Not Sony.

Fbh

That's distributors in your country. Not Sony.

Sony/MS set the MSRP, not distributors. Also Sony has an actual official store here.

The official MSRP of the Ps5 when it launched was around (converted) $610 + tax
The official MSRP for the Series X set by Microsoft was around (converted) $499 + Tax

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Another reason a monopoly is bad. Sony (or any other company with a store) will not pay the 30% but all other companies will have to, recuperating 30% less.

30% is charged by virtually everyone, even Steam, long before Sony even had a gaming storefront.

This isn't a "monopoly." 🙄

Unknown?

Look at where it actually goes, not much is spent on society. People all over the world should audit their public employees.

Last edited:
Sony/MS set the MSRP, not distributors. Also Sony has an actual official store here.

The official MSRP of the Ps5 when it launched was around (converted) $610 + tax
The official MSRP for the Series X set by Microsoft was around (converted) $499 + Tax

MSRP = Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price.

Kilau

xbox-playstation-mercado.jpeg

More coming I'm sure.

Fbh

MSRP = Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price.

jeez yeah ok, Sony had nothing to do with the pricing of the console in my country.
The company making a big announcement about the official price of the system in the country likely had no influence over the general retail pricing, as we know retailers usually sell highly anticipated electronics almost 20% cheaper than the MSRP at launch.
I'm also sure the MSRP did in no way relate to the actual price they were offering distributors, consoles have historically had small profit margins for retailer but in this case Sony was really nice and just gave them historically high margins

You heard it here first folk. The PS5 could be $299 everywhere but these pesky distributors are driving the price up.

Top Bottom