• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Boy GBA - Gamespot review

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

http://www.gamespot.com/gba/action/astroboy/review.html

"All game systems have two or three games that ultimately define the particular genre they represent on that platform. Thus far, the GBA's must-have action games have included titles from the Super Mario, Metroid, and Castlevania series. Now you can add Astro Boy: Omega Factor to that short list. You'll need to go through most of the game's 43 levels twice in order to find all the characters and unlock the best ending, but even after you accomplish that feat, this is the kind of game that you'll pick up regularly just to play a level and kill some time."

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
It's worth noting that the "second time through" isn't nearly as boring as other games' second times through -- the plot is fully different and dovetails with the first time through, and it's all in all a wonderful experience.

Don't make a mistake; buy this one and not the PS2 version!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
CVXFREAK said:
Wow, this game is THAT good? I heard the PS2 one sucked, may as well try this one when it hits $20 or so.

Hell yeah it is, probably one of the best GBA games this year imo

mosaic

go eat paint
It's worth noting that the "second time through" isn't nearly as boring as other games' second times through -- the plot is fully different and dovetails with the first time through, and it's all in all a wonderful experience.

Definitely worth noting -- also worth mentioning that the dialogue said by certain characters changes depending on who Astro has talked to previously.

I probably also shoulda mentioned that the enemies in run 2 (REBIRTH) aren't always the same as those you see in run 1 (BIRTH)... it's nice how a background change here and there, some different generic thugs, and a new boss sprite can make the old seem new again.

(and the difficulty ramps up a bit during the REBIRTH chapter)

Alas, there's so much good stuff in Omega Factor that it just can't all be comfortably fit into a single write up. Oh sure, it's possible, but people can only digest so much before they burst. My first draft had a lavish history of the character along with an analysis of the moral messages Tezuka was trying to get across--ha ha, talk about gratuitous.

Bottom Line -- Astro Boy : Omega Factor is about blowing shit up and having fun doing it. The cute cartoon look and the innocence of the character just makes going ape on rival robots that much more enjoyable... and boy, does the game really put the classic Treasure formula (cannon fodder enemies, big bosses, gratuitious explosions, impressive visual effects) to work.

(Now where's Gunstar Heroes and Dynamite Headdy for GBA, eh, Sega?)

Andy787

Banned
Fuck yes. Been looking forward to this for a while, glad to show Sega some support.

And didn't Hitmaker co-develope this with Treasure or something?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I just thought I would come in here and second that score. My boss has had a finished version for a couple weeks now and I borrowed it a while and ran through nearly all of it. FANTASTIC experience. It's extremely hard to put down, and gets very, very hard. Whenever I died I felt like it was my fault and just had to work to get better, instead of it being the game's fault.

Can't come more highly reccomended.

The PS2 is developed by Sonic team and the GBA by Treasure, it seems the PS2 blows and the GBA one rocks, next time let treasure do both versions.

Eric-GCA

Banned
Wow, Sonic Team really has been going downhill. Then again, Sega's developers as a whole haven't put out anything noteworthy in recent times.

EDIT: I haven't brought a new GBA game in a long time now, and I didn't think I was going to until Zelda, but after hearing the good things about this game (and that Treasure has apparently done their magic once more), I may have to give it a whirl.

Alex

Haha. What happened to Sega? Notably Sonic Team. Utterly useless now.

I could use a new GBA game, I'll snag it some time.

Teddman

Alex said:
Not useless in the least. Their games are still about the most successful for Sega and consistently sell. Sonic has been a huge franchise for them this generation.

belgurdo

Banned
Alex said:

Weren't Sonic Team "gods" when Puyo Puyo Fever was launched and 3/4ths of the board liked it? Which is it?

I'm just happy non of those other Tezuka characters were removed despite the fact that no one in the states know who the hell most of them are.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
This game fucking owns!! I am playing it now thanks to DC and it fucking rocks!!!!

MASB

Eric-GCA said:
Wow, Sonic Team really has been going downhill. Then again, Sega's developers as a whole haven't put out anything noteworthy in recent times.
I thought Hitmaker was the developer? So Hitmaker only had some involvement, only in the GBA version, not the PS2?

mosaic

go eat paint
Ya know, the title screen does say Hitmaker, and the load up screen does say Co-Developed with Treasure... but if you look in the credits, you see more Treasure names than not, and when you look at all the things in the game, the Treasure influences are blatant and numerous.

I have a feeling Hitmaker came up with the story, art, and many of the sprites, and Treasure came up with the level designs and bosses.

MASB

mosaic said:
Ya know, the title screen does say Hitmaker, and the load up screen does say Co-Developed with Treasure... but if you look in the credits, you see more Treasure names than not, and when you look at all the things in the game, the Treasure influences are blatant and numerous.

I have a feeling Hitmaker came up with the story, art, and many of the sprites, and Treasure came up with the level designs and bosses.
Yeah, that's what I meant with the some involvement part, that was directed towards the GBA version. I knew Treasure did a lot of work, probably most of the work on the GBA version (especially as regards the programming of the game, etc.).

goodcow

Naka needs to be punched in the face hard a few times. Jesus, put somebody else in charge of Sonic Team, he's proven himself to be useless since the end of 2001.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Alex said:

I could use a new GBA game, I'll snag it some time.

Astro Boy was by the REZ staff. Before Sega cut United Game Artists' cash supply. The game was then moved over and finished by whatever UGA staff survived to move on to Sonic Team.

Basically, everyone who was a Contract Employee was given their walking papers. Only "shain" got to stay on and move to Sonic Team -- and most of them bailed because who wants to work under Yuji "Psychopath" Naka?

jarrod

Banned
Eric-GCA said:
Wow, Sonic Team really has been going downhill.
Must that influx of UGA staff. :p

belgurdo said:
Weren't Sonic Team "gods" when Puyo Puyo Fever was launched and 3/4ths of the board liked it? Which is it?
Personally, I tend to find Sonic Team's lower profile games to still be excellent (ChuChu Rocket, Samba de Amigo, Puyo Puyo) while their big name action stuff is pretty lousy (Sonic, Astro Boy, Billy Hatcher).

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Man, I wasn't really considering buying this, but after reading that review, I might have to. I don't usually allow myself to get swayed by reviews, but...

White Man

Treasure's gotten their mojo back after a rough start this generation. Let's hope the slowdown issues in Guardian Heroes GBA is ironed out. If they manage that, they'll have released 3 killer games this year.

Unfortunately, this means we'll probably have to wait like 2 years before we get more Treasure lovin'. They're my favorite studio.

I WANT THIS GAME SO BADLY I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S COMING OUT THIS WEEK. THIS WILL PROBABLY BE THE BEST GBA GAME OF THE YEAR. OMG.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
IGN has their review up

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/539/539347p1.html

8.0 Presentation
The storyline may be a bit on the wordy and confusing side, but the game itself is skillfully constructed.
8.0 Graphics
Wonderful artwork and sprite effects, brought down by some serious slowdown in more than a few places.
8.0 Sound
Very anime-ish soundtrack with some great audio effects that put the system's stereo abilities to use. No digitized voice, though, except for a robotic "Astro Boy" between levels.
9.0 Gameplay
Fantastic action game that melds successful 2D design elements into a fresh creation.
6.0 Lasting Appeal
It's not the longest adventure, but the encouragement for a second playthrough to find all the extras and get the true ending definitely adds to the game's value.
8.8 OVERALL:
(out of 10 / not an average)

"Even with its flaws, though, the design and gameplay mechanics are so well-tuned that it's hard not to love Astro Boy: Omega Factor. The character may be unfamiliar, but the design team shouldn't be, and that adorable, happy robotic face shouldn't scare you away from one heck of an action experience on the Game Boy Advance."

Mejilan

TheGreenGiant said:
treasure? I thought it was SEGA. So much for that glimmer of they're back on track. Treasure rocks. Fuck it. I am buying this.

Sega's responsible for the (alleged) trainwreck that is the PS2 Astroboy game.

Proving yet again that Treasure > Sega (at least this gen, if never before).

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
UGA did the PS2 version? I do not believe this news!

When does Astro Boy PS2 come out anyway?

Socreges

Banned
retardboy said:
UGA did the PS2 version, not Sonic Team! They are one now, but it's not the Sonic Team we know that made it.
IIRC, UGA started the game's design and Sonic Team took over. Or at least collaborated. At any rate, Sonic Team is obviously poison.

Mejilan said:
Sega's responsible for the (alleged) trainwreck that is the PS2 Astroboy game.

Proving yet again that Treasure > Sega (at least this gen, if never before).
Sega, without a doubt, releases more gems, even if they miss most of the time. Sega > Treasure.

retardboy

Socreges said:
IIRC, UGA started the game's design and Sonic Team took over. Or at least collaborated. At any rate, Sonic Team is obviously poison.

Sega, without a doubt, releases more gems, even if they miss most of the time. Sega > Treasure.

UGA started it, got swallowed by Sonic Team, and ended it under Sonic Team. It was still the same people though that were in UGA though.

Mejilan

Socreges said:

Nay, my good friend. That may be true as a whole, since Treasure is much tinier, but this gen, Sega's a freaking disaster.

Socreges

Banned
UGA started it, got swallowed by Sonic Team, and ended it under Sonic Team. It was still the same people though that were in UGA though.
Ah, I was given the impression that the original Sonic Team helped in its development. ST remains poison, either way.
Mejilan said:
Nay, my good friend. That may be true as a whole, since Treasure is much tinier, but this gen, Sega's a freaking disaster.
What's the "Nay" for? We don't disagree.

mosaic

go eat paint
IGN's 6 for lasting appeal chaps my hide...

Are the days gone when a game was so fun to play that just being able to replay a particularly awesome level was enough to keep you coming back for more? Is it all just about beating-and-forgetting games nowadays? (And for that matter, Astro Boy takes longer to fully complete than Metroid Zero Mission did... and IGN gave that game a 6 for lasting appeal also)

Ah well, at least I'm not ranting this in a rocking chair... yet.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Is there a save feature in this game? I'd assume so since it seems pretty long... I gotta call up Gamestop to see if they received their shipment today... Been waiting for a while for this game.

I can't wait to pick this up. Evennnnn ign's 6.0 last appeal ddddddddddoes not worry me seeing that the 6.0 that was given to Zero Mission proves to be a 10 in my book. I've finished ZM more than any other GBA game.

IGN LAST APPEAL 6.0 = a 6.8 10 innnnn LASTING APPEAL

mosaic

go eat paint
Just wanted to point everyone to Greg Kasavin's most excellent video review...

http://www.gamespot.com/gba/action/astroboy/media.html

Seriously -- the review I wrote is just a hack piece compared to the eloquent words he has to say in the clip. His words are backed up by a footage montage that pretty much sums up more than words possibly can how and why this game is so darn spifftacular.

I highly recommend the video review to anybody that's curious as to what all the hooplah is about.

(As an aside, how does someone end up both photogenic and eloquent? He's like the Barack Obama of the gaming press)

Top Bottom