• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At $142.4 Million, Triptych Is the Most Expensive Artwork Ever Sold at an Auction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot24

Banned
Modern art = "I could do that" + "Yeah, but you didn't."

Photographs replaced our usual paintings. We painted things and people because we couldn't take pictures of them. Now we can, so art has adjusted into abstract techniques. Deal with it.

It's mainly that many artists are so good these days. I can go on some random person's blog and they'll have drawn something like this

402_large.jpg

or this

979_max.jpg

and they'll have casually drawn it in the last couple days. It's just no big deal anymore.

Odrion

Banned
In regards to everyone asking why aren't your favorite star wars fanart or hotel painting considered art it's
There is nothing to discover in these paintings. They are the movie equivalent of any hollywood popcorn flick, easy to digest and very marketable. Put it on place mats, put it on gift cards, Nana might want to hang one on the wall.

I wouldn't call these paintings art, like I wouldn't call the movie Jack and Jill artful.
this. It's been said already.

pulga

Banned
The one time I understood art was during my first time experimenting with LSD.

the fucking swirls and colours man

I fuck you not, I saw the universe in a painting

Weilthain

Banned
It really is just super rich people trolling everyone isnt?

I think if you have that kind of money and you spend it on a balloon dog or some shit instead of helping people you pretty much are a terrible person

IceCold

I remember hearing a guy that used to sell art in the black market (to gangsters for example) say there's a huge amount of art that is counterfeit. I wish I could remember his name.

kingofrod

I can see both sides of the argument here:
-on the one hand, just because a person doesn't understand a piece of art doesn't make it garbage. The artist obviously had some kind of meaning or intent when they created a work, no matter how silly it may seem to someone who is not versed in art history or appreciation. And once a piece of art makes its way out into the world, critics can add additional significance that adds to the value. How much an individual can appreciate all of this depends on how much time and thought they are willing to devote to art, and the more knowledgeable you are ups your credibility in judging how much a giant balloon dog is worth.
-however, I can also see the distrust that the general public would have in assigning such large dollar values to something that doesn't necessarily show technical skill (like a giant balloon dog assembled by assistants rather than the actual artist). The world of fine art (or modern art, whatever) seems like a very obnoxious place when you're working a 9-5 job and worrying about heating bills.

Here's my only question and, again, the only art appreciation education I have is from a few classes back in college. Are there any examples of artists who create modern art who are true outsiders (did not go to art college, etc)? For example - the fellow who painted a canvas entirely blue - I wonder if a plumber would be able to paint a blue rectangle and sell it for large amounts of money? I get the feeling that the "I could paint that!" crowd COULD very well paint a canvas blue, but they don't have the background in art that would make people a) take them seriously and/or b) give the plumber the necessary verbiage needed to assign meaning to a big blue square.

Again, I personally do not know the backgrounds of the vast majority of artists, so I'm sure there are examples out there of "normal" people breaking into the art world. Hit me with that sweet, sweet knowledge GAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom