• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gauguin painting breaks sale record at nearly $300m

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mimosa97

My mind is full of fuck. I'll never understand how some people can pay for a piece of shit like that, no offense. I don't get it

There's nothing to understand. It's all about speculating.

They don't buy works of art for their artistic " value ", only for their monetary value. There's no risk for the buyer to see a big decrease in value. It's less risky than buying properties or putting your money in the bank.

As for Modern Art, it's shit and everybody knows it but they're basically printing making money out of thin air. It's a capitalist dream. Take any random work of Modern Art, start hyping about it, let its the value on the art market soar and then start trading it in-between art-collectors, increasing its value etc... And tadaaaa. You end up with a safe investment worth millions.

IceCold

Art is basically an investment and a good way to launder money. It's huge in the black market for a reason. I also remember reading an article of some guy that would sell high end art in the black market (not just paintings but other artifacts) and apparently a non-negligible amount of art is counterfeit. It's a mess.

olympia

My mind is full of fuck. I'll never understand how some people can pay for a piece of shit like that, no offense. I don't get it

This thread is fucking awful. Gaugin is one of greatest post-impressionists ever. Learn some art history. Maybe you'll "get it". I've never seen another thread where people are so proud to be ignorant.

This thread is fucking awful. Gaugin is one of greatest post-impressionists ever. Learn some art history. Maybe you'll "get it".

Whoa, breh. It's all opinions.

Gotta say, some of his early work kicks ass. Later work like this one... eh. Aaaaah, he's the artist who left France for where he could boink Polynesian girls and paint like that.

Laekon

I hate art threads on GAF.

Its always the same sets of responses.

I can understand the discussion and morality behind these mega money art purchases, but the tired comments about abstract art reek of ignorance. It's okay to dislike art, even to dislike entire genres. There are reasons why abstract artists like Rothko and pollock are as valuable as they are though; they were some of the first to ever do anything like that. On top of that their art is visually stirring. They often don't resonate in photos.

It's not just random lines or blocks of color, there is depth and posing. If it were as talentless as some people think there would be an awful lot more uber famous abstractionists/modernists.

Sorry for the rant.

ps: I think gauguin is overrated lol.

I'm sure I'm off but what I see is some how a critic/dealer becomes trusted by a few very wealthy collectors and what they say is good becomes sought after and valuable. Other wealthy people then buy up more of it as part of the dick measuring competition.

Don't forget rich people making their own museums while using them as tax deductions.

Jeeves go get the golf cart I want to go to my museum

JordanN

Banned
On gaming side I always hear "games are too realistic. Games should have unique artstyles instead"

Then you enter these threads about art and it's "this stuff is shit and not worth anything".

the two may or may not be related

This thread is fucking awful. Gaugin is one of greatest post-impressionists ever. Learn some art history. Maybe you'll "get it". I've never seen another thread where people are so proud to be ignorant.

As a person who goes out of his way to study, appreciate, and LEARN from art history of all ages, there is not much to "get" of Gaugain's work. His stuff is famous because he is now considered a leader of one of history's most controversial art movements. His work is exemplary of that movement and is indeed unique, but I can literally think of hundreds of artist who made artwork that I like more, and whose work I think is better in an objective sense. The controversy is not enough for me to be interested, in his work his figures do not appeal to me, nor does his textures, colors or subject matter. These people are not being ignorant, but rather they are not letting their egos distort their vision.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
640px-Gustav_Klimt_046.jpg
I really like this.

olympia

As a person who goes out of his way to study, appreciate, and LEARN from art history of all ages, there is not much to "get" of Gaugain's work. His stuff is famous because he is now considered a leader of one of history's most controversial art movements. His work is exemplary of that movement and is indeed unique, but I can literally think of hundreds of artist who made artwork that I like more, and whose work I think is better in an objective sense. The controversy is not enough for me to be interested, in his work his figures do not appeal to me, nor does his textures, colors or subject matter. These people are not being ignorant, but rather they are not letting their egos distort their vision.

You're not going around saying "this is a hot peice of shit because I don't understand it".

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Thought this was funny, apparently Keanu was in town and stopped by the sale.

show_foto

Empty

wonder how long it will take for the best art galleries in the world to be in china and the middle east

I always love it when people judge the merits of a piece of art based on a 500 pixel image they saw on their computer screen.

ha, true. While the actual price can be "debated", they're comes a lot of mastery with a painting/art work than just the actual image...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Why won't anyone buy Mona Lisa? Isn't she worth approx. $1billion?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Maybe it is not for sale?
There's no such thing as "not for sale". Throw enough money at something and bam, you've got yourself an invaluable item!

pretty sure it's not for sell and is actually priceless as in nobody can put an exact price on it shall it ever go on sell.

There's no such thing as "not for sale". Throw enough money at something and bam, you've got yourself an invaluable item!

there are plenty of national treasures (including Mona Lisa) that represent the pride of a nation in such a way these nations won't sell them no matter the price.

lednerg

Saying that you could paint the same picture as someone else doesn't really mean much since that picture already exists. History is important; art exists on a timeline. You're never going to show up in a time before Jackson Pollock and throw paint on a canvas. Of course, being influenced by other artists is all well and good. That's how the language of art spreads, through imitation.

EDIT: BTW, you should watch the Ed Harris film Pollock if you want some insight on that dude and what he was going through. It's kinda nuts.

Loofy

Im pretty sure no one actually buys expensive art because of 'art.' They buy it because its an investment. They could either spend $300m on a painting, or $300m on gold bars. A painting seems less of a hassle.

amar212

It is painting without value attached.

And IF the original would EVER go in sale, and under the presumption of today's value of money, I guess even few billions would not be enough to guarantee the purchase.

Maybe 20 billions. But I am not even sure of that.

It is literally THE ONE PAINTING to rule them all.

Its worth comes form its uniqueness and ability to maintain the value with time.

I think no other work of art can compete with Mona Lisa.

Also, being small and handy help immensely.

Striek

Art can be worth a fortune to some and worthless to others. That's just the way shit goes. This stuff is raised out of obscurity by elites who influence art culture and help others form opinions and build artists legacies.

We've all seen self professed professional wine critics not being able to discern the cheap from the expensive without labels.

Labels are important, as important as composition or technical skill.

Ikael

Art market value =/= artistic value

That being said, most of the unimpressive, "I don't get the hype" type of modern art pieces gets one bajillion times better when seen in person. A computer screen image rarely does it justice since it seldom captures the painting's texture or scale. Picasso's Gernika is a great example of a painting that doesn't seem much when seen printed / on screen, but it becomes balls droppingly majestic when seen in person.

Despera

Banned
640px-Gustav_Klimt_046.jpg

Gustav Klimt - Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer £73m - According to The New York Times, the Neue Galerie paid £73m for the oil painting in a private sale in 2006. It had been looted by the Nazis during World War Two, before being returned to Ms Bloch-Bauer's heir in 2006.
You see this one I can understand selling for a high price. But the others... :/

Chichikov

That makes it look even more unimpressive. Like, can some art folk explain what's so great about it?
First of all, you mustn't think about it in terms like "why does it worth 300 million dollar".
The price tag is a function of the fact that there is a finite and rather small number of Gauguin paintings out there (and even fewer of them are for sale) so all it takes a few very rich people to push the price to such levels.

In any case, it can be quite difficult (and some would say impossible) to explain why a painting is great, but I can explain to you why Gauguin is important.
You see Gauguin was in large part a bridge between impressionism, probably the most important art movements of the 19th century and THE defining movement of the 20th century - modernism.
So not only is was he directly influential on many great artists that came after him, his work sort of stand suspended in the ever romantic gap between the modern world we live in the old world it replaced.

Now I should note that the reality of art history is actually much more complicated than such simple narratives - he wasn't the only artists occupying this space, and not to mention that expressionism in and by itself is in large part a reaction to the quickly industrialising world, but that perception surely help cementing him as one of the most important artists in history.

Also, his colors are really really pretty.
I like colors.

I know dick-all about art, but I seriously love looking at a lot of Pollack's work.
He just hacks your brain, standing in front a Pollock is one hell of an experience.
And for the people who think this is easy to make a Pollock or even Rothko, why don't you try?
I don't think that degree of difficulty is a good way to measure art's worth, but as pretty much any person who ever tried will tell you, that shit is harder than it looks.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I think it should be stating the obvious that these painting sell for tens of millions of dollars because of their historical significance and reputation of the artist and not necessarily because the picture is purty.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I would take that Jackson Pollock painting or the blue one before just about every other painting posted in this thread. There's something about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom