• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At least thirteen dead as van hits crowds in Barcelona

There had to have been some information on the individuals (3 of them I believe) that would have lead up to this that was gathered by authorities. I mean they were all armed so there was at least some plotting here to attack a suburban area.

They captured two of them alive so hopefully there's some answers to preventing something like this in the future.

Forgive my ignorance, but would it not be safer to just stay put in the hotel, especially if it is actually near the attack? I sure as shit wouldn't want to be wondering outside right now.

No, it sounds like he was outside of his hotel (which is in the attack area) and was kicked out of a restaurant. Definitely safer to go somewhere like a consulate than be out and about on the street.

H1PSTER

ISIS said it was them.

If a slow oven blew up and killed someone in a Western country, ISIS would also say it was them.

They claim everything because it suits their agenda.

The regional president says there has now been two arrests.

I just saw on the news that people were evacuated by the police in groups from stores they were hiding in after the attack, perhaps that's some confused that with a hostage situation.

Fair, thank you for cluing me in.

Edit: To be fair when the attacks in London happened a lot of people went into clubs and the police raided some of the clubs shouting "GET DOWN" etc, so people said they were inside with a terrorist - I can understand how that can happen.

Audioboxer

If someone said it to someone who lost a family member from it they would be an idiot.

However I often do say similar to those who are unnerved by these kind of events because as shitty as they are, it is true.

The one I normally go with is "the likelihood of you being involved in something like this is one in nine million, you shouldn't be afraid to live your life because if you are, they've won."

However after the recent Manchester/London attacks in Blighty I went to Edinburgh, quite close to the dates of those attacks and I did feel unnerved in large groups of people around the castle so I suppose it does work in some way - as much as I push that fact I can totally understand how it can't help as much as I wish it could.

These people are scumbags and we shouldn't actually live in anxiety because of them, we should live our lives and show that fear won't take over them - why should we allow fear to aid us in hating others that aren't white, brown or black? Or why should we allow fear to aid us in disliking those of another religion?

I've grown up around all colours and creeds, not once have I felt unsafe around any of them... The agenda today is too easily pushed because we're so close to the media and it sucks.

Most people know what is more likely to kill them, but as I said in any given stat stated most of it is due to accidents or 'normal causes'. Terrorism isn't an accident, nor is it a normal cause of death. For what is worth most people do only post with a bit of fear during or shortly after an attack. I mean, how many people do you know in real life who won't come out their house or live their life due to historic terrorist attacks? Pretty much everyone has jobs to go to and things to do 365 days a year. In the wake of an attack though there is a large swelling of various emotions, thoughts and more. Most people just need a bit of breathing space to think and process, not people rushing in to say "but falling out of your bed is more dangerous".

As always, what is really more important to discuss is why these things happen and ultimately is this going to be another case of someone the authorities knew about but due to limited budgets/resources, they didn't stop in time? Not really whether or not lightning is more deadly to you than terrorism. Europe keeps seeing multiple fairly deadly terror attacks each year, and right now it's coming predominantly as vehicle attacks.

H1PSTER

Most people know what is more likely to kill them, but as I said in any given stat stated most of it is due to accidents or 'normal causes'. Terrorism isn't an accident, nor is it a normal cause of death. For what is worth most people do only post with a bit of fear during or shortly after an attack. I mean, how many people do you know in real life who won't come out their house or live their life due to historic terrorist attacks? Pretty much everyone has jobs to go to and things to do 365 days a year. In the wake of an attack though there is a large swelling of various emotions, thoughts and more. Most people just need a bit of breathing space to think and process, not people rushing in to say "but falling out of your bed is more dangerous".

As always, what is really more important to discuss is why these things happen and ultimately is this going to be another case of someone the authorities knew about but due to limited budgets/resources, they didn't stop in time? Not really whether or not lightning is more deadly to you than terrorism. Europe keeps seeing multiple fairly deadly terror attacks each year, and right now it's coming predominantly as vehicle attacks.

I think one of the huge problems is they can have possible news on people who will commit these attacks - hell one of the people involved in the Manchester attacks flew an ISIS flag in his window. But you can't arrest someone for that in the UK so they couldn't really "stop him" until it was too late.

It's hard to judge when this is going to happen, they're not smart people but the impulsiveness allows them a certain degree of success - it seems those that are planned, or "sloppy" often end up being a failure - in this case we could argue that the Spanish attacker who got arrested failed.

It's a tough nut to crack, it's probably due to budgets but also as I say, it could be due to not being able to actually arrest people who seem to be suspicious.

Yager

Banned
Feeling like shit right now. Luckily nobody around me got hit, but I feel like shit nonetheless. Fucking hell.

Nev

Banned
I can't get to my hotel.

LBwQMrB_d.jpg

There's the USA consulate. ~1:30 hour walking if you're next to the attack.

KayMote

Oh my god! This feels so scray right now - actually it is probably the first time that an terrorist attack felt so real and close to me: I was actually there yesterday at the exact fucking spot celebrating our last day of vacation in Barcelona.

I flew home today, but it's such a scary thought that maybe only 24 little hours made an actual difference of avoiding a terrorist attack...
Arriving home and having seen that my parents and friends had tried to reach me to ask if I was okay, actually puts things into perspective for me....

I was just a few streets away from this as it happened.

I'm safe, on my way home taking a longer route just in case. If there's anything you want to know I'll be glad to help.

SomTervo

Just heard this news. Awful fucking stuff. A bunch of game devs including the Aragami guys (Lince Works) are based over there, hope they're OK.

Audioboxer

I think one of the huge problems is they can have possible news on people who will commit these attacks - hell one of the people involved in the Manchester attacks flew an ISIS flag in his window. But you can't arrest someone for that in the UK so they couldn't really "stop him" until it was too late.

It's hard to judge when this is going to happen, they're not smart people but the impulsiveness allows them a certain degree of success - it seems those that are planned, or "sloppy" often end up being a failure - in this case we could argue that the Spanish attacker who got arrested failed.

It's a tough nut to crack, it's probably due to budgets but also as I say, it could be due to not being able to actually arrest people who seem to be suspicious.

The UK is a bad example because we know for a fact our police and intelligence services have been saying to the Government for years they're not working with a big enough budget. Anytime we see an attack just look at a number of arrests done afterwards. The police largely know of all these people/terror rings, but they do not have enough eyes/resources on them.

In saying that we do successfully stop terror attacks https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...wolf-low-tech-car-truck-vehicle-a7645221.html / http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/14/polic...in-the-uk-with-just-minutes-to-spare-6778983/

It's just you're going to hear about the ones not stopped versus the ones that do get stopped behind the scenes. The prevented numbers still make for chilling reading, as do the numbers of arrests due to terrorism. However, even with the successes, our Government does keep getting told cutting police and intelligence budgets is dancing with fire. You do not meet serious problems/risks such as these with cutting budgets.

H1PSTER

The UK is a bad example because we know for a fact our police and intelligence services have been saying to the Government for years they're not working with a big enough budget. Anytime we see an attack just look at a number of arrests done afterwards. The police largely know of all these people/terror rings, but they do not have enough eyes/resources on them.

In saying that we do successfully stop terror attacks https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...wolf-low-tech-car-truck-vehicle-a7645221.html / http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/14/polic...in-the-uk-with-just-minutes-to-spare-6778983/

It's just you're going to hear about the ones not stopped versus the ones that do get stopped behind the scenes. The prevented numbers still make for chilling reading, as do the numbers of arrests due to terrorism. However, even with the successes, our Government does keep getting told cutting police and intelligence budgets is dancing with fire. You do not meet serious problems/risks such as these with cutting budgets.

It wasn't supposed to be an example of anything other than there is a possibility that laws are in place which mean that idiots like him can't be arrested for simply putting up a flag, despite being on some sort of watch list.

Sky Chief

I heard that some of the terrorists are fine people and that there is a lot of blame and bad behavior on both sides.

Sorry, not trying to make light of this tragedy but Trump's absurdity is always there. RIP.

Audioboxer

It wasn't supposed to be an example of anything other than there is a possibility that laws are in place which mean that idiots like him can't be arrested for simply putting up a flag, despite being on some sort of watch list.

To be honest I'm not 100% sure on that. The UK has some flexible hate speech laws that probably could cover flying an ISIS flag. It's probably more about police not responding or it not being sufficiently reported. Failings in on themselves.

I mean, man arrested for offensive Christmas decorations. Point being I think the police would respond to complaints about an ISIS flag and ask for it to be removed.

But sure, I get your overall point. When is it someone can be arrested on terrorism charges versus when they just get put on a watch list or become a person of interest? When it's the later we already know in the UK there isn't enough resources to efficiently "watch" everyone

As many as 23,000 people have appeared on the radar of counter-terror agencies, according to new figures laying bare the scale of the potential threat.

In the wake of the Manchester suicide bombing it emerged that British authorities were grappling with 500 investigations into 3,000 individuals.

On Friday security sources confirmed to the Press Association a further 20,000 individuals were said to have been considered "subjects of interest" in the past, although the period the figures cover is unclear.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ubjects-interest-scale-terror-threat-emerges/

They end up having to pick and choose for resource purposes and 1 single mistake could mean a catastrophic loss of life.

Ferr986

I think that was awhile ago, when the terrorist on the run got killed. Some polices got injured when he terrorist didn't stop and tried to escape in a checkpoint.

Hieberrr

I was staying in that area just 3 weeks ago. Holy crap, this scares me. Barcelona is my favourite place in the world and to see it happen here (or to see it happen at all in any place) breaks my heart. Why can't people just try to get along?

I'm trying to take my mind off this but I just can't. Fortunately for me I don't live anywhere near Barcelona or have any friends or family there but it still hurts so bad. I can't even begin to imagine how the family and friends of those who were injured or lost their lives must feel right now.

Now that ISIS is officially behind this, I'm kinda surprised Spain hasn't been a heavier target in the past (considering it was once Moorish territory).

Patrick S.

Banned
Man, I've driven on and walked along the Ramblas when I was there on vacation with my wife and kid. In many ways, I identify myself more as a Spaniard than a German. This hits really really close to home for me. I've been in tears and had to leave the dinner table because I was upsetting my son. I'm torn on if I'm happy or sad they detained, and not killed, one of the perps. On one hand, he has a very long time in a jail cell ahead of him, which is one of the worst things I can imagine. But he gets to breathe, eat, drink, experience moments of happyness, while his innocent victims are now rotting pieces of flesh. It's so horrible, man :(

RIP you poor victims :(

funebre2.jpg

Thing is I really feel numb to those kind of attacks. I really dont care anymore. As long as the middle east is destabilised, these motherfuckers are gonna continue and I just take it as a very small risk added to all the other Risks of normal life.
Fuck them and Fuck all the people using this politically. We should offer help and solutions to fix the middle east and these kind of attacks are going to be less frequent. And as long those solutions haven't been found, we have to expect more of them.

Top Bottom